New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Clarification on Rules

Let me preface this by just saying that I would like answers from mods alone, for only their word is definitive on this matter. It's nothing personal to other posters, I just want to get all my ducks in a row, so to speak.

I was just curious if I could get the extent about how far each rule applies as they relate to games go? I am planning on running a Ravenloft game, which is a setting that has an above-average level of mature content. While I could cut said content, it would lessen the impact of certain scenes. I will ask a few questions so I can get a feel for how the rules would work.

First and foremost, Ravenloft has racism. Not of any real-world races mind you, but racism nonetheless. It is a fairly common occurrence for an elf to be called 'knife-ears'. Is that a violation of the no racism rule?

Second, Ravenloft is a dark place with monsters everywhere. At some point, PCs will likely be investigating a scene where a victim has been mauled by a werewolf or drained by a vampire. As long as I only describe blood and wounds, nothing to do with entrails at all, is it a violation of graphic violence? Similarly, if a haunted house has blood begin to ooze down a wall, is that considered graphic violence?

Third, although there is no explicit sexual content, which is listed under offenses, is implicit sexual content allowed? Such as, for example, certain noises coming from the room over? I don't anticipate this would come up much if at all, but I am curious. Similarly, if a werewolf changes back, I assume simply stating that they turn back naked isn't a violation, correct? I figure as long as details aren't divulged, I should be fine, but I was wanting to check and make sure.

And fourth, does dark depictions of purely fictional religions violate any of the rules on religion? The Tepestani Inquisition, for instance, is pretty much the Salem Witch Trials in a fantast setting instigated by a fantasy religion trying to 'save souls from the wicked fey'.

Ravenloft is nothing approaching the old 3.X Book of Vile Darkness in terms of mature content, but it is certainly not Eberron either. It is gothic horror through and through and I would like to depict it as honestly as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help with this. I just want to give my players as authentic of a Ravenloft experience as possible without violating any rules here on Giant in the Playground!

Edit: If I can find rules covered under the OGL, will I be able to post them here or at least link offsite to them? The OGL, or Open Gaming License, allows nonprofit use and/or distribution of rules based on the 3.5 D&D setting. The OGL counts as written consent, I presume?
    Last edited by AdamantineAngel; 2017-10-21 at 10:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Clarification on Rules

Quote Originally Posted by AdamantineAngel View Post
    Let me preface this by just saying that I would like answers from mods alone, for only their word is definitive on this matter. It's nothing personal to other posters, I just want to get all my ducks in a row, so to speak.

I was just curious if I could get the extent about how far each rule applies as they relate to games go? I am planning on running a Ravenloft game, which is a setting that has an above-average level of mature content. While I could cut said content, it would lessen the impact of certain scenes. I will ask a few questions so I can get a feel for how the rules would work.

First and foremost, Ravenloft has racism. Not of any real-world races mind you, but racism nonetheless. It is a fairly common occurrence for an elf to be called 'knife-ears'. Is that a violation of the no racism rule?
    Sheriff: Within the fiction, that's acceptable.
    Second, Ravenloft is a dark place with monsters everywhere. At some point, PCs will likely be investigating a scene where a victim has been mauled by a werewolf or drained by a vampire. As long as I only describe blood and wounds, nothing to do with entrails at all, is it a violation of graphic violence? Similarly, if a haunted house has blood begin to ooze down a wall, is that considered graphic violence?
    Sheriff: That's all fine.
    Third, although there is no explicit sexual content, which is listed under offenses, is implicit sexual content allowed? Such as, for example, certain noises coming from the room over? I don't anticipate this would come up much if at all, but I am curious. Similarly, if a werewolf changes back, I assume simply stating that they turn back naked isn't a violation, correct? I figure as long as details aren't divulged, I should be fine, but I was wanting to check and make sure.
    Sheriff: That's fine. Just avoid explicit descriptions of sexual acts.
    And fourth, does dark depictions of purely fictional religions violate any of the rules on religion? The Tepestani Inquisition, for instance, is pretty much the Salem Witch Trials in a fantast setting instigated by a fantasy religion trying to 'save souls from the wicked fey'.
    Sheriff: That's fine within the fiction. Just avoid discussions of real world religions.

Thanks for checking first. You can always private message me with individual questions.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2017-10-21 at 10:24 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #3
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Clarification on Rules

Quote Originally Posted by AdamantineAngel View Post
    Edit: If I can find rules covered under the OGL, will I be able to post them here or at least link offsite to them? The OGL, or Open Gaming License, allows nonprofit use and/or distribution of rules based on the 3.5 D&D setting. The OGL counts as written consent, I presume?
    Yes, the OGL counts as explicit permission from the copyright owner where applicable. This is why we don't take issue with people linking to d20srd.org, which is a fairly comprehensive source of first party OGL material that also limits itself to only OGL material.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)