New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default How would you make a Fighter/Warlock for Curse of Strahd?

I'm not looking to metagame the adventure and I'm not looking for spoilers! I have played the original Ravenloft module so I have a basic idea of where CoS is going to go, but that's it.

However, considering it is starting at level 3 and goes to level 10, I'm not sure how many levels of each to take. The reason I want to go fighter is because I want to be able to use martial weapons (I plan to use a Halberd), so I know I need to take at least 1 level, but is it worth taking more?

What tips and tricks should I know about? Feats? Pacts? I'm going to be a human, is it worth starting with the alternative human option? I'm thinking I should do this and take polearm master?

I've only ever DM'd 5e before so it's time to get a good feel for the character creation end of things.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ozreth; 2017-10-22 at 09:02 PM.
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How would you make a Fighter/Warlock for Curse of Strahd?

I'd look at the Hexblade patron warlock, (UA, but will be out in the new book released next month)
    it uses CHA for 1h weapons and can use martial and wear medium with shields.

You can still take either blade, chain, or tome as you pact.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by 8wGremlin View Post
    I'd look at the Hexblade patron warlock, (UA, but will be out in the new book released next month)
    it uses CHA for 1h weapons and can use martial and wear medium with shields.

You can still take either blade, chain, or tome as you pact.
    Just had a look at this and it’s pretty cool, I may use it. However, not totally sold on the flavor as I was really looking forward to having my patron take the form of a small wyrm/dragon type creature that I’m at constant odds with. The whole pact with a weapon that talks to you and gets stronger thing is not nearly as exciting.
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'd start by finding a tall tree with a sturdy branch jutting out, tying a noose, and...

Sorry, couldn't help it! No offense meant, just me and my bad sense of humor.

Hexblade might work, but why dip in Fighter at all then? If you're not against the idea of playing a variant human, you could take the Resilient feat for Constitution save proficiency if that's what you want from Fighter. A hexblade doesn't need strength for anything since they can use Charisma instead, so you're quite well set to have a decent dexterity to combine with Medium Armor proficiency.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Why not paladin?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

The flavor of Hexblade does suck. There are many ways to do this, two of which are:

- Fighter 1/Warlock: Take the Fighter level just for the armor, weapons, CON saves and the fighting style.
    - Fighter 8/Warlock 2: take the Warlock levels just for Hex, Devil's Sight and a pact feature.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Hexblade might work, but why dip in Fighter at all then?
    If I went Hexblade I wouldn't. Pretty sure I'm not gonna go Hexblade though.
    Last edited by Ozreth; 2017-10-23 at 09:39 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    The flavor of Hexblade does suck. There are many ways to do this, two of which are:

- Fighter 1/Warlock: Take the Fighter level just for the armor, weapons, CON saves and the fighting style.
    Likely what I'll do. I'm looking at Polearm Arm master feat. When I get that second attack with the butt end, do I add damage bonus? If not I'm not sure if this is worth taking.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ozreth View Post
    Likely what I'll do. I'm looking at Polearm Arm master feat. When I get that second attack with the butt end, do I add damage bonus? If not I'm not sure if this is worth taking.
    You can also go for a strong ranged combination with Fighter EK 7 / Warlock 2 + 1 whatever you like

Strong sustained DPS with 2 EB + Xbow shot every round. 3d10 + 15

10. - Top - End - #10

There is a spoiler reason to be a hexblade.

You may not even know where your pact power comes from, you could fluff a million reasons for how you're taking hexblade.
    Don't just take the fluff from the book, change it make it your own.

For instance, "You've always had a knack with weapons, they do exactly what you want, they complete you, they sing to your very soul. But now something draws you, you feel that this part of you essence needs help, they require you to fulfill some duty."

"How you have this knack you don't know, others train to be quick or strong, you're just sure that weapons do what you want"

- but it's your story, and your choice, we can only offer suggestions, like you asked for.
    - go have fun, and write your own story vs Stradh.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's meta-gamey but a character I like for CoS is a Vhuman PDK fighter/Celestial Bladelock w/ the Acolyte background. Take the magic initiative feat and see if dm will allow choosing from paladin spell list for one of the 1st level smite spells.

Plays as a psuedo/failed paladin. Was once an initiate of a religious martial order but during his rites for full membership into the order, where had to spend weeks in isolated contemplation, prayer, and fasting, instead of coming to a revelation and swearing a Divine Oath; he was approached by a "divine" being. Conned his way through being a paladin but was eventually found out by his order and kicked out. Know believes that by defeating Strahd he will be invited back in and become a true paladin.

Inspiration for this character came from Dragon Age's Alistair.

works even better as paladin 2/celestial blade X which is actually what i chose to create but haven't yet gotten a chance to play.
    Last edited by Moredhel24; 2017-10-23 at 08:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Ok guys I can't figure out if I should take Warlock 1st for the saving throw and skill proficiencies or take fighter 1st for HP. Either way I end up with a martial weapon which was my goal.

Seems like it makes sense to go Warlock 1, Fighter 2, Warlock the rest of the way.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ozreth; 2017-10-23 at 09:08 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If you want a Polearm shouldn't you start Fighter for Heavy Armor proficiency? You'd be way too MAD if you're raising Dex for Medium Armor.

14. - Top - End - #14

Fighter 5. Warlock. 15 undead.
    But which fighter archetype.
    I might do ek.
    Or pdk and warlock raven queen.
    Skully boyfriend's lead to skully wendigo weddings.
    Spoiler: Linklele
    Show
    linklele you have brought a beautiful and favorite character of mine as well as fluffy to life i wanted to thank you. i may never again switch my avatar