New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default .. AGE OF EMPIRES IV is officially in production!!!!

Spoiler: my initial statement
    Show
    YES!

There has been no other real information released as of yet.

I guess the biggest question on everybody's mind is 'what era is it set in?'

My guess would be either:

civil war era

World War 1 era

World War II era

post-Vietnam war era

or a future era where there are lazer-blasting mechanized infantry

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: .. AGE OF EMPIRES IV is officially in production!!!!

Doubt its going to be any of that because if you start out early and then try to transition past the Civil War era weapons like machine guns and artillery completely change the gameplay to 100% emphasize ranged weapons and if you still try to balance any kind of melee or cavalry it just becomes kind of ridiculous.

Going by the announcement trailer there appear to be 4 distinct Ages shown, Bronze Age with Spartan-ish guys, what looks like the Age of Exploration with Spanish guys in South America, about the 1600ish era of cannon ships and whatnot, and what looks like American Revolution period.

I don't see anything close to even the Civil War era, much less more modern.

I'm still pretty hyped though. I've always loved the Age of Empires series, Age of Empires 2 is still an amazing game.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2017-10-28 at 08:14 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Doubt its going to be any of that because if you start out early and then try to transition past the Civil War era weapons like machine guns and artillery completely change the gameplay to 100% emphasize ranged weapons and if you still try to balance any kind of melee or cavalry it just becomes kind of ridiculous.

Going by the announcement trailer there appear to be 4 distinct Ages shown, Bronze Age with Spartan-ish guys, what looks like the Age of Exploration with Spanish guys in South America, about the 1600ish era of cannon ships and whatnot, and what looks like American Revolution period.

I don't see anything close to even the Civil War era, much less more modern.

I'm still pretty hyped though. I've always loved the Age of Empires series, Age of Empires 2 is still an amazing game.
    Bronze age was, IIRC, AoE1, and most of the rest are AoE3 already.

Someone showed me a picture that indicated that AoE4 would be WW1/2, and a hypothetical AoE5 would be sci-fi, but I don't know how authentic or official that picture is.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

the reveal trailer is literally just showing the old age of empires game, you have to listen to the narator.

at the end he even says 'now a new age is upon us.'

this is a reference to a new AGE of empires game as well as a new AGE it is set in.

I would wager its WWI/WW2 that when the whole 'modern imperialism' stuff starts.

also in regards to machine guns, tanks, and rockets rendering earlier military technologies and tactics moot is kind of the point. I mean just take a look at the real world here.. when was the last time you saw a mounted knight charge on the battlefield against a modern army, well besides the polish.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't be excited about this until I know anything about this game.

I mean, it might look like Age of Empires Online at the end, for all we know.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    the reveal trailer is literally just showing the old age of empires game, you have to listen to the narator.

at the end he even says 'now a new age is upon us.'

this is a reference to a new AGE of empires game as well as a new AGE it is set in.

I would wager its WWI/WW2 that when the whole 'modern imperialism' stuff starts.

also in regards to machine guns, tanks, and rockets rendering earlier military technologies and tactics moot is kind of the point. I mean just take a look at the real world here.. when was the last time you saw a mounted knight charge on the battlefield against a modern army, well besides the polish.
    Yes but the entire theme of Age of Empires for the last 3 games has been technological advancement and mostly medieval warfare, capping off at about the 19th century in AOE 3.

Changing the gameplay to actually have modern warfare changes the entire basis of the game and is exactly the kind of thing that would generate huge fan backlash, especially given the length of time since AOE 3.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Changing the gameplay to actually have modern warfare changes the entire basis of the game and is exactly the kind of thing that would generate huge fan backlash, especially given the length of time since AOE 3.
    It's not like there hasn't been games like AoE that have managed to bring thegameplay into more modern settings...Empire Earth did it fairly well(It went from Stone Age tribals all the way to future tech laser guns) and was pretty well recieved. Also I mean the first two games, not that one.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2017-10-29 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    It's not like there hasn't been games like AoE that have managed to bring thegameplay into more modern settings...Empire Earth did it fairly well(It went from Stone Age tribals all the way to future tech laser guns) and was pretty well recieved. Also I mean the first two games, not that one.
    Those are games LIKE AoE, not AoE games. I did enjoy Empire Earth although it was hilariously unbalanced.

But as with any game series, players come to expect a certain type of gameplay in a series. Obviously you CAN change anything, but it is very, very risky to change the gameplay of an established series.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    I can't be excited about this until I know anything about this game.

I mean, it might look like Age of Empires Online at the end, for all we know.
    My sentiments exactly.

Show me some gameplay - and convince me you're not trying to "AAA"-ify it (because I wouldn't put it past MS) - and then I might give it the time of day,