New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: More stories

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default More stories

This time I'm asking about stories of crazy things your characters managed to do due to lucky rolls. I don't have any stories about this (yet) but hopefully I will have some soon

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: More stories

Well, a dragon rolled spectacularly badly when trying to hit my ludicrously tanky halfling paladin . . . the amazing thing was that Euphemia survived.

In another game, Abhera snuck through two consecutive rooms full of potentially clattery weapon racks, silently killing three vampires on the way, by consistently rolling natural 18s.

I mean, she critically failed peeking through the next doorway (and nearly lost a party member in the resulting vampire fight), but the first part was pretty cool.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

This was a homebrew system sort of based off World of Darkness Vampire. We were recently vamped as true vampires (better than most vamps but still newly vamped so rather weak), and trying to persuade the leaders of the 'good' vampires to work with us as part of the Big Destined Plot. The main person arguing against it challenged us to a duel, 3 of us verses him. The DM told it was supposed to be a hard but winnable fight.

It went ludicrously easy because he rolled so horribly that he either never hit us or we barely took any damage. Wound up impressing the council a ton and gaining a lot of respect.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I just got one. In the last session our healer got a bag of holding. He asked the dm if he could do a loot roll to see if anything was inside. Dm went along for ****s and giggles. He made the roll and his character reached into the bag... and pulled out another bag of holding. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1p-DA0zvuQ8

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

confused Re: More stories

More Stories is a selection of UNKLE works and remixes created during the War Stories era. The album was released in Japan on 16 January 2008, followed by a 31 January release date in Australia.
    The Japan exclusive release comes in a cardboard sleeve and the CD is wrapped in a cloth sleeve. It also includes a booklet and obi-strip.
    The cover art was designed by Kazuki, with additional design by Ben Drury and James Lavelle.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I once technically managed to kill my character with an out-of-combat healing spell in Feng Shui by successfully managing to roll 5 consecutive sixes on my negative die. She was fairly badly hurt, and if you roll so terrible that your die roll total plus your modifier (which I think was +12 or so) ends up in the negatives, you take an amount of damage equal to the amount of damage taken by the subject, effectively doubling your damage if you're healing yourself. This was enough to push her so far above the damage threshold that the only probable result on the following death check was immediate, unpreventable death, which also was what happened.

My GM wouldn't let that happen, though, so she had her saved by fiat.

To make things even better, I actually cast two healing spells at the same tme: One for healing her and one for repairing her clothes (which had gotten pretty torn in the previous fight), and on the second, I also managed to roll unbelievably bad. However, the repairing spell merely managed to chain 2 negative sixes and ended up on the positive side of zero with but a pair of pips. If I'd gotten another negative six, the outcome would have rendered her clothes permanently destroyed and irreparable by any means.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2017-11-17 at 05:56 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Natural 20 on K (Architecture and Engineering) check to try to damage part of a church to block their escape from a rampaging deity. Result: Player drops church on god.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If I'd gotten another negative six, the outcome would have rendered her clothes permanently destroyed and irreparable by any means.
    I did have a psyker in Dark Heresy who accidentally blew her clothes off with two men present...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I was once the DM of a game where three level 2 characters tried to fight their way past 11 CR 1/2 guards (they had been arrested for falsifying official documents). Using nothing but unarmed strikes (they didn't want to hurt the guards), they managed to knock out every opponent and escape into the street. The guards had swords and were getting attacks of opportunity for every attack the PCs made and somehow still got beaten.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

In the first D&D tournament I ever played (1976, Tacticon II), the rule for instant kills was a natural twenty, followed by an 8 on a d8, was an instant kill.

We were in hurry-up mode, rushing down the corridor, because there were five minutes left, and we hadn't found the quest object yet. The DM said, "A Balrog fills up the hall in front of you." Don, playing the fighter in the lead said, "We keep running, through the two halves of the Balrog, What do we see?" and rolled a d20 and a d8 down the table. They stopped in front of the DM, he looked, and said, "Umm, right. You keep running between the two halves of the Balrog. The corridor turns left."

[My thief said, "I pick up his whip as we go by." We were one of the two highest scoring teams. The scores were so close, that the 2 copper pieces that whip was worth put us over the top and won the tourney.]