New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Demons vs. Devils (Devil IC)

Paddy approaches the table and scroll slowly, still maintaining its protective warding techniques on itself and the other devils. If it does not detect anything interesting/magical about the scroll it will read it out loud.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Arcane sight is still up (permanent duration), so that should ping any magical auras in the room.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Scroll: There are balls on this table, one weighs a little bit more than the others. You must determine which ball that is, but you may only use the scale twice.

There are indeed 8 balls, and you already saw the scale. .
    #GoreMutualarejerks

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

"Ooh, interesting! Very interesting.

Now, lets see. One, two, three. Six, five, four. X, Y.

Well...hmm, yesssss, that seems about right!"
    Paddy spends a few seconds jabbering before looking around at the others expectantly. "How does that sound? It has certainly been a while since I played with little puzzles like this, but that should just about do it, no?"

It isn't rude enough to reach for the puzzle on its own (mostly so it can blame a failure on the others, should it somehow mess up) but it definitely seems happy with the result it has arrived at.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

Sabrina does not interrupt Paddy but she nods approvingly. If you are thinking the way I think you are going, I would say you are on the right track.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

"Right track, hmm? Well, if anyone else believes they know better I would love to hear about it." The smugness is so thick a knife would break trying to cut it.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Basa

Walking quietly behind everybody else, basa steps forward to the table and reads the scroll.

Normally, we'd just use it three times. The first time on 4v4, the second on 2v2, and then a third on a 1v1. However we can only do 2 uses. If we had 6 balls, then we could do 3v3 and then 1v1.

So let's measure the first 3 vs the second 3, and if either side is heavier then that side will contain the heavy one. We can then, of the 3 heavier balls, repeat what we did the first time by measuring the first two and if neither of those are heavier, then the final one is the odd one out.

If neither of the 3v3s are heavier, then the 2 remaining ones are the culprit and we can do those in a 1v1.

Simple, really, since it has helped me to get the best deal on slaves once.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah, but isn't that exactly what I said? I suppose you simply couldnt help but agree with me, hmm? Being right all of the time is so troubling..."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    "Ah, but isn't that exactly what I said? I suppose you simply couldnt help but agree with me, hmm? Being right all of the time is so troubling..."
    I find it hard to comprehend how your listing of numbers could solve this. I have solved this, and you have been but a mere footstool to my success. Sure, you may have already known the answer when we have walked through the door, but what you said only solved a smidgen of this.
    Show

Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

"Ah, I did not say it simply enough for you. I see, I see...

It must be dreadful to not be me. I look upon the world and it unfolds itself before me. Well, I suppose you are doing better than most; it seems the seed of my explanation germinated quickly even if you could not fully comprehend it."

Paddy nods its head sagely. "Well, are there any objections? If not then my impromptu student here has my blessing to carry out this plan."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Ah, I did not say it simply enough for you. I see, I see...

It must be dreadful to not be me. I look upon the world and it unfolds itself before me. Well, I suppose you are doing better than most; it seems the seed of my explanation germinated quickly even if you could not fully comprehend it."

Paddy nods its head sagely. "Well, are there any objections? If not then my impromptu student here has my blessing to carry out this plan."
    Basa

Oh woe is me, it is truly dreadful to walk the planes without a significant ego that brings into question whether its size is greater than my being
    Basa says with words laced in sarcasm, he then mutters
    The Assassin Devil you see is the Assassin Devil sent to kill you, and apparently some didn't take note.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Putting 6 locks onto paddy. One can never be too sure
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2017-11-26 at 10:04 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Paddy

"How crude. Well, I suppose I will leave you to your weights since you seem so sure about having mastered my teachings. How this could possibly be relevant while slaving I would never bother guessing though... do you really value servants based on their mass?

Hehehe. Lesser being are so amusing. Perhaps if you had spent more time studying the mysteries of magic instead of playing with mortals...
    Paddy wags a fat finger at the dogai addressing him.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2017-11-26 at 10:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground

Telluria

"And in the time you two have spent arguing, we could have solved this puzzle several times over." Rolling her eyes, Telluria grabs six of the balls, placing three on each side of the scale. She flips her hair behind her and sighs.

"Look, our goal is the locating and retrieval of the gem. Bickering is not a part of that."
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Basa

do you really value servants based on their mass?[/COLOR]
    Judging from whom they picked to retrieve the gem, I should admit that I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Telluria View Post
    "Look, our goal is the locating and retrieval of the gem. Bickering is not a part of that."
    You're right, the retrieval of the gem is a higher priority than teaching lesser beings their place

Basa notes, while taking a moment to observe the scale
    Spot: (1d20+42)[45]
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2017-11-27 at 12:02 AM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

When the 3/3 strategy is used, the right pan tips a bit more. Using those 3 balls, once again the right side tips a bit more. The moment the heavy ball is identified, it pops open, revealing a small gold key inside.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Paddy

"Oh my, it looks like playing with mortal slaves came in handy. How very interesting...it seems humans can be used as a learning aid.

Well? Go on. Take your prize and put it to use; I would prefer to secure our objective before demons get a chance to spread their filth on it..."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Basa

In quiet annoyance, Basa picks up the key, put it into slowly puts it into the lock, and then slowly attempts to turn it
    (Does it turn?)
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2017-11-27 at 08:20 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Paddy's constant warding stops as it draws its power back in and its body mass shuffles into an ever so slightly more appealing form.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

While the group was focusing on the scales, Xeroch walked closer to the door and is currently examining it.

Search Check (1d20+38)[47]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

The door is not trapped or locked and opens easily when you try. The passage beyond leads east and then forms a T going north and south. Both passages end in doors after about 20-30 feet each.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Basa

Let's go back the way we came, before we encounter too many forks in the road.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Xeroch

"On the other hand, we can stick to a single direction." He nods deferently to sabrina. "Last time we kept on the rightmost choice, so we keep turning right whenever we need to choose. In case we find ourselves in a dead end, we backtrack turning always left. Telluria dear, have your reconaissance eyeballs found anything worth note?"

22. - Top - End - #82

With nothing indicating a good choice, Sabrina chooses to go south...At least this way, we skirt the outside and then fill in the middle. She leads the way to the door and pauses to listen at it
    Spoiler: Listen
    Show
    (1d20+31)[47]

And if no one else hears anything, she kicks it open

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Sabrina hears nothing and so she opens the door (for the erinyes, usually rather forcibly) and steps into the room. The room is empty, with one door leading further to the east, however the far wall seems to have what looks like an inset panel made of slightly different material than the rest of the wall. Inscribed on the panel is:

The three that arent special that are the most used
    The five that are special cant be refused
    The one that is both is hard to define
    The one that is least is the end of the line
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2017-12-02 at 03:32 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #84

Sabrina walks up to the panel and clearly says....R, S, T, A, E, I, O, U, Y, Z

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Paddy

"Hmm...word games were never my forte; it's all too simple you see. I think this would best be handled those not blessed with an overwhelming intellect.

Please do enjoy yourselves."
    Paddy curtsies with its cloak and allows the others to take the lead in solving this riddle.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

The panel slides open, revealing a small alcove that holds a key, about the same size and shape as the one that came from the ball.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Doxkid View Post
    Paddy

". I think this would best be handled those not blessed with an overwhelming intellect."
    Sabrina turns on Paddy, her eyes blazing. Its a look that is usually followed by a vicious attack....

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    The panel slides open, revealing a small alcove that holds a key, about the same size and shape as the one that came from the ball.
    She turns back to the alcove with a triumphant look on her face now, taking the key and sliding it into her cleavage.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    She turns back to the alcove with a triumphant look on her face now, taking the key and sliding it into her cleavage.
    Basa

Basa takes a moment to check his possession of his key, and says:

Good job, now let's go back and open the other door here

Basa goes back to the other end of the hall and observes it, looking for a keyhole.
    (Spot if needed) [roll0]
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Firbolg in the Playground

Telluria

Ignoring the bickering of her other teammates for the moment, Telluria turns to Xeroch and nods with a grin. "Indeed I have. It appears as if there are 9," she pauses and gestures over at the riddle, "Well, 8 with this room, more puzzle rooms. Another 10 rooms hold monsters of various sorts. None of them appear to be a significant threat, but a simple spell such as this cannot properly detect power levels, so caution would still be advised."

Spoiler: Prying Eyes Details
    Show
    For clarity's sake, I've included the original report down here. I'd think I get a general map layout of the areas view too, I believe?
    Quote Originally Posted by DM
    The eyes take some time, but soon all report back. You learn that there are 19 rooms (including the one you are in now) in this dungeon. The eyes report 9 of the rooms appear to have no creatures in them, however they do seem to have objects of some kind. They are not able to make a good description of them, but from what they say, you think they are puzzle rooms. So you dont know what the puzzles are, but you do know there are 9.
    In the other 10 rooms, they report creatures. A creature composed entirely of earth, a creature seeming to flux between forms, several creatures that resemble large wolves, 2 albino elves, a large creature that appears to be all colours of the rainbow, a large 3 headed creature that resembles a cat, a monstrous titan, 3 huge humanoid creatures with wings, a creature that looks like a large blot of magma and a humanoid form composed of adamantite.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Xeroch

"Sounds like the odds of finding hostiles in the next room are slightly greater. Pity there's no sign of our Tanar'ii opponents yet." He moves towards the door with purpose, making no sound as stealth is second nature to him.

As he reaches the door he takes a moment to make a security check while focusing on any sounds coming from the other side.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Move silently (1d20+41)[60]
    Search (1d20+38)[39]
    Listen (1d20+34)[48]

REVISED with new map information

By Telluria's description, Xeroch sketches out a rough map on a roll of fine vellum produced from within the folds of his cloak. When it's finished, he presents it to the group. "This is all conjecture, but I'm willing to bet the way out of this maze is at one of the rooms that form dead ends." Points at rooms 9, 16 and 20 on the sketch. "It also looks like we can go through all of the remaining puzzle rooms after we defeat whatever lurks in room 10. I say we clear out that room and go take a look at number 9, then decide from there."
    Last edited by Sahigu; 2017-12-06 at 10:43 AM.