New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What are you playing right now?

Losing strategically no matter what I do on the battle map is the opposite of fun.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Losing strategically no matter what I do on the battle map is the opposite of fun.
    It’s not supposed to be “fun.” It’s *FUN.*
    Last edited by rooster707; 2018-03-20 at 09:34 PM.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

It's not really losing though, it's getting dinged by a point or two. I mean it's hardly a well designed mechanic (like pretty much the entire geoscape layer in XCOM) but it's mostly just an obstacle/resource management problem.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Because you're looking at it (and probably the whole game) as a thing to be won, when actually it's meant to be a horrible struggle with meaningful losses and actual choices. ie *FUN

Are you familiar with the saying "That's X-COM baby!" ?

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Because you're looking at it (and probably the whole game) as a thing to be won, when actually it's meant to be a horrible struggle with meaningful losses and actual choices. ie *FUN

Are you familiar with the saying "That's X-COM baby!" ?
    IF they all result in the same thing (losing completely) then the "Actual choices" you mentioned aren't really there.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    IF they all result in the same thing (losing completely) then the "Actual choices" you mentioned aren't really there.
    Except none of the choices are about winning everything, it's about which 1 of the 3 options you want, or, quite often, which one hurts you the least. Sometimes things are going well and you decide based on the reward or mission difficulty, others you decide on which one will contain panic the best and/or make the least amount of countries leave.

On the lower difficulties, it's relatively easy to keep all countries onboard for the whole game whereas on the higher difficulties it's rather difficult (as it should be). The choices you make on the various missions as to which reward can be a huge driver on all difficulties.

Do you take the mission where you get an early Engineer to get your workshop up and running early and are able to snowball satelite coverage into more funding into more sats? Or do you need to address the Panic in Europe and have to instead accept a heavy Captain that you don't need 'cause RNG has already given you a nigh endless supply of Heavies? On top of that, you then have the choice on where to place your sats. Do you aim for max funding? Complete continent bonii? Eliminate panic? Remove a danger continent from the mission pool to control panic of already red panic nations who already have a sat? All of these are things to consider and result in meaningful choices.

There's plenty of choices and if you're in a situation where taking any of them are resulting in a game over, well, you probably ****ed up (or, because it's X-Com, it is possible that RNG just decided that you were meant to fail, but the majority of the time it's the player making a mistake, especially on the easier levels).

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Got in a bit more Pharaoh time last night. You wouldn't think a mining city would be the best place ever, but my mining city is the best place ever. It's turning massive profits based on exporting copper, weapons and gemstones, enough that I can afford to import beer and papyrus, while keeping the gods happy and maintaining a crack army. Really, the only problem is that I need to get another 700 or so people to move in without totally tanking my Prosperity rating.

(I think I prefer the combat in Caeser III, mostly because it's very wall-centric, and I enjoy building insane defensive works.)

8. - Top - End - #308
    Firbolg in the Playground

A MMOrpg called Project Gorgon. It's got Everquest-style graphics, but the system itself is amazingly deep, and it's a sandbox-style game that encourages exploration and discovery. It's a glorious timewaster, and it's retro in a good way; quests don't hold your hand, there usually aren't waypoint markers, and it manages to pull that off while being casual-friendly.

Throw in a good community, no subscription fees, and a system that doesn't punish you for dying, and that's a recipe that'll keep me playing for a good while.
    Awesome avatar by Kpenguin. ALL HAIL DOCTOR DIRE!

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

I don't mind sacrificing a country or two to win the war. But when I can just make the terror mission and it means that I lose one month later than I was already, because the requisite number of countries have decided to just up and quit because they were at red panic, the game stops being enjoyable.

I suppose the only answer is to keep restarting until the RNG doesn't roll for a complete failure. Now I remember why I uninstalled this game last time.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Well I know what I'm not playing.
    Just found out they want $70(!!!!!!) for Sea of thieves...
    Yeah I know, it's priced for the XBox but how on earth do they think they can compete on the PC with that price? Wouldn't dream of paying more than $50 for a base game. Ever.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Tell me about it. Of course there are quite a few people convinced we're still getting a massive undersell at $60 because they cost so much to make. I've seen various figure's on how the price should have changed, from $90 to $130. Of course every one of those figures I've seen includes the cost of distribution, which means console discs, rather than how I get all my new games, which is online from Steam or Gog, or whatever other platform catches my eye.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Tell me about it. Of course there are quite a few people convinced we're still getting a massive undersell at $60 because they cost so much to make. I've seen various figure's on how the price should have changed, from $90 to $130. Of course every one of those figures I've seen includes the cost of distribution, which means console discs, rather than how I get all my new games, which is online from Steam or Gog, or whatever other platform catches my eye.
    Worse, a lot of people include marketing costs into those figures. The marketing costs that are usually artificially inflated by pointless celebrity cameos and extraordinarily wasteful public events hardly anyone even sees, much less attends.

Meanwhile the cost to actually make the game itself gets ever cheaper and cheaper (particularly with the proliferation of existing game engines that can be used instead of making a new one from scratch every single time - though many companies refuse to do this) while the profits go higher and higher, but self-serving executives and these embroiled in the industry try to claim the opposite so they can make more money.

I was almost starting to like Extra Credits again until that incredibly ****ty and dishonest video they put out recently on the subject.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-03-21 at 06:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I was almost starting to like Extra Credits again until that incredibly ****ty and dishonest video they put out recently on the subject.
    Which video was it? I'm not following Extra Credits much since the Escapist days, but I figured their stance often was on the side of the users?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Oh I also just bought the big expansion for Grim Dawn so I'm going back into that as well.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

15. - Top - End - #315

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Which video was it? I'm not following Extra Credits much since the Escapist days, but I figured their stance often was on the side of the users?
    Their loot box ones presume the necessity of loot boxes for funding AAA game development, and completely slide around the fact that loot boxes in all their forms will always exploit the same dopamine mechanisms as gambling. It's just inherent in what they are (gambling is fun and can be addictive because the dopamine reward in the brain for success is greater when that success was in doubt, so by having randomised contents where some are inherently more desirable, lootboxes are inherently the same mechanism. They will never not be gambling, whether you can get money out to meet an outdated legal definition or not), and so the only "good" lootboxes are ones you can't pay for.

Also, the premise that they're "necessary" is not evidenced. The vast budgets of major AAA games are, in fact, not necessary precursors of success or the biggest game on the market wouldn't be a technical ****show (PUBG), plus the success of many second tier games like, well, basically everything made in Japan (Ten years ago Japanese developers were pointing out that western studios were way ahead technically, but by keeping costs down Japanese teams now have a lot more room to innovate and pursue mechanically strong but technically lacking titles like Dark Souls, Nier Automata, the entire Switch, and so on). And predatory monetisation is not in fact necessary for profitability for a AAA game as evidenced by The Witcher, Final Fantasy XV, and others.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Their loot box ones presume the necessity of loot boxes for funding AAA game development,
    You had me by the end of that sentence already. It's a strange stance for them, honestly.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2018-03-22 at 07:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #317

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    Also started Prey (the new one). I’m not nearly far in enough to say if it’s good or not, but it reminds me a lot of several games that I love, which is a good sign.
    Ooo enjoy! It's quite a good time. My only complaint is that the enemy variety feels a little lacking by the end. Besides that, it has such a strong combination of combat, stealth, and story that I've played through it completely twice.

Once you finish the game, you should really check out Extra Credits' video on the subject. There's a lot going on below the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    You wouldn't think a mining city would be the best place ever, but my mining city is the best place ever.
    Mining cities are great! You can make so much cash so quickly. Honestly, the only thing I prefer to them are timber cities, cause man, wood sells like hotcakes on the market.

I don't mind sacrificing a country or two to win the war. But when I can just make the terror mission and it means that I lose one month later than I was already, because the requisite number of countries have decided to just up and quit because they were at red panic, the game stops being enjoyable.
    XCOM 1 did have that problem, but thankfully XCOM 2 does a lot to solve it. I second that once you play 2, there's no reason to go back. However, I avoided WoTC and went straight into Long War 2.

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Their loot box ones presume the necessity of loot boxes for funding AAA game development, and completely slide around the fact that loot boxes in all their forms will always exploit the same dopamine mechanisms as gambling.
    I think that's kind of a given. We all know lootboxes are terrible, but there has to be a reason they're popping up besides just more money. I thought the video did a decent job addressing why lootboxes are popping up when ingame stores and cosmetic DLCs already exist. Extra Credits has been pretty upfront about saying that they're industry insiders, and this video seemed to be more of a "Here's our perspective" instead of an indepth explanation or judgement.
    Last edited by NRSASD; 2018-03-22 at 08:10 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly even classic Difficulty in EU wasn't such a pain but I want to play EW and even on normal it's just... Impossible. I might go easy mode as much as I feel like that's giving up. For now I just uninstalled because I don't even want to think about it.

That said, I'm installing Xenonauts in it's place, and I'm going to give that a whirl. See if it's less annoying.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2018-03-22 at 09:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NRSASD View Post
    Mining cities are great! You can make so much cash so quickly. Honestly, the only thing I prefer to them are timber cities, cause man, wood sells like hotcakes on the market.
    In this case my mining city is great because something like 99% of the population is living in these big gorgeous houses, there's dancing girls and jugglers on every other street corner, the relevant god is so happy with me he insta-kills any and all invaders, I've got a big army sitting around as backup, beer is readily available, and it's basically paradise. So long as you like ostrich burger, because ostrich is literally the only food around, and I'm too cheap to import any.

I think that's kind of a given. We all know lootboxes are terrible, but there has to be a reason they're popping up besides just more money. I thought the video did a decent job addressing why lootboxes are popping up when ingame stores and cosmetic DLCs already exist. Extra Credits has been pretty upfront about saying that they're industry insiders, and this video seemed to be more of a "Here's our perspective" instead of an indepth explanation or judgement.
    Does there have to be a reason besides 'they make money?' I mean that's the literal job of EA, Ubisoft, etc, make money for shareholders by getting people to spend money on their products. Something like a lootbox, which has to be fairly cheap to develop content for is going to be intensely attractive, whether or not the production costs of the game requires the extra revenue.

Honestly even classic Difficulty in EU wasn't such a pain but I want to play EW and even on normal it's just... Impossible. I might go easy mode as much as I feel like that's giving up. For now I just uninstalled because I don't even want to think about it.

That said, I'm installing Xenonauts in it's place, and I'm going to give that a whirl. See if it's less annoying.
    Xenonauts is good*. It's also quite hard, and lacks a number of XCOM's abstractions/quality of life things. Ammo has weight, and you decide how much of it each dude carries. There's a decent system of pre-built loadouts available, so you can easily equip somebody with your breach'n'clear kit or whatever. All of which is fine, Xenonauts runs much more simulationish in feel than XCOM, and it does a good job of making that pretty easy to handle.

The annoyances that add up in Xenonauts are things like the not exactly ideal camera system. It works fine for CQB, but elevation is something of a mystery to deal with, and it's basically impossible to check what you might accidentally hit if you're shooting across more than a single screen. Sniping your own dudes in the ass because your crack shot rolled badly and you couldn't see to make sure he had a clear LOS is infuriating. It's even worse when you melt down your squad with an errant tank shell.

*Except for the air combat, which still sucks.

20. - Top - End - #320

Flumph

Xenonauts is basically original UFO with a mild QoL pass like not having to fiddle about restocking ammo.

Also there is a Chryssalid* behind you. (They love using their really high move to run around where you can't see, so always look behind yourself at the start of a turn if they're around)

* Or whatever trademark friendly name they got given, can't remember.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like fun, accidentally melting my squad with a tank. Can't wait to name them after people on the forums. I'm certain it won't be long before I run out of people I know personally. Watch out for terror enemies, check. So they don't line up in front of you like they do in New XCom, got it.

Then again I played UFO:Alien Invasion for a while, until it updated to the point where it was quicker to auto-resolve. You were going to lose at least one soldier anyway, so there wasn't a point in trying to fight it out.

So far the only X-Com game I've found that did ship combat well at all was X-Com Interceptor, which is a game most people didn't like because it was so different.

22. - Top - End - #322

Flumph

The only real problem with Xenonauts air combat is that once you've figured out how to beat a given ship you'll beat it exactly the same way every time.

And there's a lot of air combat.

That said, it does have a cool approach to autoresolve, which is that you airstrike the crash site and get some money. You don't get the loot you get from manually combing through the site, but also there's no sense of "I would have done that way better" which usually makes autoresolve unsatisfying.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2018-03-22 at 12:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like fun, accidentally melting my squad with a tank. Can't wait to name them after people on the forums. I'm certain it won't be long before I run out of people I know personally. Watch out for terror enemies, check. So they don't line up in front of you like they do in New XCom, got it.
    Being able to melt your squad with a tank is fun attention to simulationist detail. Melting your squad because you were shooting at an enemy more than one screen width or height away from your tank and couldn't see that the shot would clip the corner of that building next to your squad, because once you select your target the camera locks and you can't check for possible friendly fire issues is annoying as hell. I don't mind doing it if it's a calculated risk, I mind not being able to know it is a risk, when I really should.

24. - Top - End - #324

DwarfFighterGuy

In Xenonauts, your friend, lord, and saviour is named smoke grenade. They're subtly the single most important item in your arsenal. I actually had someone who just carried a pistol and bandoliers of smoke grenades.
    Last edited by NRSASD; 2018-03-22 at 01:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Perhaps it'll get repetitive later but the first scout fell for standard WWII tactics. Let it chase one then roll in from behind with the wingmate.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Still working on my backlog... Finally "finished" (did everything I think worth doing) in Twilight Princess. So only a dozen years late. Probably give Other M a shot next. I'm not afraid of the story but my inability with FPS. If I can't get into it, probably Skyward Sword..

Also, I've seen a little of My Lovely Daughter and I'm really intrigued to give it a shot.. If it was 10 instead of 15€ I'd likely given in already..
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

From all I've seen Other M is completely skippable.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

From all I've seen Other M is completely skippable.
    Not only skippable, it's actively bad. Gameplay-wise, half its mechanics work directly against the other half, and the exploration (AKA what most of us come to Metroid for) is strictly nil until the bloody postgame.

And the less said about the story, the better. It's basically Anticlimaxes: The Game, with a dash of what is very hard to not see as romanticized parental abuse. I think Other M is the first time I have actually gotten angry at a videogame.

As for me, what I'm playing lately is mostly Celeste. Which is absolutely delightful, and for now my absolute GotY. And keep in mind I'm saying this in a year that has Monster Hunter World, so the bar is pretty damn high .
    Last edited by Drascin; 2018-03-24 at 01:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Got back into Darkest Dungeon and now that I am concentrating entirely on getting the Blacksmith upgraded I am starting to successfully get through most Medium Level 1 dungeon and Short Level 3 dungeons. I even beat my first boss in Week 81.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    As for me, what I'm playing lately is mostly Celeste. Which is absolutely delightful, and for now my absolute GotY. And keep in mind I'm saying this in a year that has Monster Hunter World, so the bar is pretty damn high .
    Yep, Celeste is pretty good. I'm not gonna say 11/10 like most critics, but its controls are pretty tight for a platformer, its difficulty level seems very carefully balanced, and it has fun, above average writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Got back into Darkest Dungeon and now that I am concentrating entirely on getting the Blacksmith upgraded I am starting to successfully get through most Medium Level 1 dungeon and Short Level 3 dungeons. I even beat my first boss in Week 81.
    First boss in Week 81? I forgot the game enough to lose track of its timelines, but is that normal?