New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: What are you playing right now?

Just done the third palace in Persona 5. Getting really into it.

I very much suspect I'm going to do NG+ after I finish.

Probably play God of War first though.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Troll in the Playground

I am playing Beat Saber and it is so good. I can still feel last night's session in my arms but I don't care because this is fun.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I *was* playing Final Fantasy XV until about ten minutes ago. Didn't finish the game, just got to a section that was so grossly annoying I chose to uninstall it (despite already having 32 hours in it, according to Steam).

Spoiler
    Show

The bit in question was where I had to destroy four flying attack craft that were attacking the train I was on. In order to complete this you have to use your magic teleporting ability to get aboard a craft, cause one of the "shock troopers" aboard to explode and take the craft down, then teleport over to another craft, rinse and repeat. This would be fine, if the magic teleporting ability wasn't such a finicky pain in the rear to aim and use. After dying in flaming attack craft crashes a dozen times or so and having to go back to the checkpoint, I decided that I was officially done with this crap.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

Playing a whole lot of Star Traders Frontiers.

Finally the starship captain RPG I've always imagined, early access notwithstanding.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Recently got and have been playing "Haydee" over the past few days...

... Don't judge me.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426

BlackDragon

Been thinking about FF15 a bit more, and I think the main thing that stopped me playing it was disappointment (although the stupidly difficult section I mentioned in my spoiler was the proverbial straw). Basically, from probably 10-15 hours in I was thinking that the "open world" you play the first part of the game in was both rather small and rather sparse, with very little of interest in between the various outposts dotted around the place. I was hoping that, once I left there, I would maybe end up in a larger, more impressive open area...but no, once you leave the open world of Lucis the game becomes strictly linear. I'd already considered quitting when I got to Altissia and realised that, but kept going because I like to finish a game once I start it.

As for what I'm playing *now*--I'm just downloading Hard West from GOG. It's supposed to be a sort of Wild West version of X-Com with supernatural elements, so will be interesting to see how that goes.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    As for what I'm playing *now*--I'm just downloading Hard West from GOG. It's supposed to be a sort of Wild West version of X-Com with supernatural elements, so will be interesting to see how that goes.
    Hard West isn't half bad. Kind of an american gothic++ feel, with cultists and demons and stuff. Also has an interesting "luck" mechanic, which is like a buffer that gets depleted before your actual HP, but also can replenish in battle.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Banned

I *was* playing Final Fantasy XV until about ten minutes ago. Didn't finish the game, just got to a section that was so grossly annoying I chose to uninstall it (despite already having 32 hours in it, according to Steam).

Spoiler
    Show

The bit in question was where I had to destroy four flying attack craft that were attacking the train I was on. In order to complete this you have to use your magic teleporting ability to get aboard a craft, cause one of the "shock troopers" aboard to explode and take the craft down, then teleport over to another craft, rinse and repeat. This would be fine, if the magic teleporting ability wasn't such a finicky pain in the rear to aim and use. After dying in flaming attack craft crashes a dozen times or so and having to go back to the checkpoint, I decided that I was officially done with this crap.
    Not sure what to tell you other than that I and my friend who both played this game together didn't find this section difficult to navigate in the least. Just take half a second to line up your targets instead of jumping around blindly.

We did play on PS4 though, so maybe the controls were a bit different.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Bugbear in the Playground

Starting up my third playthrough of Dishonored 2, because wow that game is good. Also a bit of Doom 2, since I finally got around to looking up how to make the controls bearable. Turns out it’s actually a pretty fun game, who’d have guessed.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    Starting up my third playthrough of Dishonored 2, because wow that game is good. Also a bit of Doom 2, since I finally got around to looking up how to make the controls bearable. Turns out it’s actually a pretty fun game, who’d have guessed.
    For my classic Doom fix, I use a source port called Zandronum, which retains everything about the classic games while making them more playable. I disable jumping and vertical mouselook, to keep the same 2D plane/auto-aiming the original had while having it run better. Just drop your purchased wad files into it's folder (or have the program point to the folder containing them) and you're all set.

Since Battletech ran into some issues for me, I had it refunded on Steam. I'll repurchase it once more patches come out, but I managed to snag Super Mega Baseball 2 and Minit in exchange. Super Mega Baseball 2 is a nice little arcade baseball game, and Minit is an absolute treat.

11. - Top - End - #431

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    We did play on PS4 though, so maybe the controls were a bit different.
    I was using an XBox controller. The basic problem I had was that the game kept trying to force me to target hostile enemies rather than the point-warp locations. However, as I said in my second post, that section was really just the culmination of a series of disappointments that put me off the game.

Dunno why I was surprised, really--every time I've tried to play a JRPG I've never finished it for one reason or another. There's just something about them that doesn't click for me.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

I was using an XBox controller. The basic problem I had was that the game kept trying to force me to target hostile enemies rather than the point-warp locations. However, as I said in my second post, that section was really just the culmination of a series of disappointments that put me off the game.

Dunno why I was surprised, really--every time I've tried to play a JRPG I've never finished it for one reason or another. There's just something about them that doesn't click for me.
    At least you got to miss out on the surprise stealth mechanics that make up the majority of Chap 13.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

I know it's not really the thread for this, but for a non-JRPG fan, the only JRPG I can heartily recommend is the somewhat underappreciated Legend of Heroes series, mainly Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel.

Hard to believe, but they have the best and most natural writing in a JRPG that I've ever seen, helped a lot by the very impressive translation work.

Aesthetics or gameplay wise, however, it is similar to other JRPGs, so there's the warning.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Banned

Turn off auto target?

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    At least you got to miss out on the surprise stealth mechanics that make up the majority of Chap 13.
    Nah, they got rid of almost all of that due to fan backlash.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Spamalot in the Playground

Over the weekend I hosted a LAN party on Minecraft with my sister and daughter. Had one heck of a wild night at a village where the game decided it was time for a zombie apocalypse and sent in the entire cast of Thriller. On top of that were lots of skeleton archers, way more Creepers than should be legal, and two witches that just... showed up and wrecked our shift (though one had the unfortunate incident of hitting a Creeper. Things escalated quickly).

Plus side is that we did not lose a single villager and the creeper damages weren't too bad to the village houses (lots of "pot holes" on the roads though).
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

16. - Top - End - #436

BlackDragon

OK, Hard West is actually rather interesting. Unlike X-Com, where you being in cover or not only affects the chance of being hit, in HW it also affects the potential damage you'll do--a regular six shooter will do 4 damage to someone out of cover, but only 1 to someone who's in full cover. This makes the game largely a matter of trying to move yourself so you can shoot at enemies from the flank (e.g. not in cover) while not letting them do the same to you, which is quite interesting tactically.

On the downside, the game has no save system--there's a single checkpoint determining where you are in the campaign. This can get quite annoying if you start a battle and realise halfway through that you're not really properly equipped for it, because you can't go back to the overworld map--the checkpoint was overwritten when you chose to enter the battlefield and therefore you're stuck there until you either win or give up in frustration.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

I'm really having a blast with Thrones of Britannia: A Total War Saga, conquering Ireland as the Kingdom of Mide! It's defintely one of the best Total War games I've ever played, and it's made me much more interested in actually running siege battles myself to unlock the Siege Equipment research track!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

18. - Top - End - #438
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Nothing but Fallout Shelter for a week, between housesitting at my parents and my wife needing to study for finals.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

19. - Top - End - #439

DwarfFighterGuy

What I'm playing right now: nothing, since my next iota of free time is next Wednesday. I may have to offer up my sleep on the altar of gaming though.

What I will be playing as soon as I can find a spare moment: Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Haydee got frustrating.

i'm playing MASSIVE CHALICE now. mainly while working as a phone service operator for a pizza joint.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    i'm playing MASSIVE CHALICE now. mainly while working as a phone service operator for a pizza joint.
    I ought to go back to that at some point. I remember really liking it, but for some reason I never finished it.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

22. - Top - End - #442

PirateGuy

I ought to go back to that at some point. I remember really liking it, but for some reason I never finished it.
    Same, except I know why I didn't finish it (I was bad at it)

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

The beta for BlazBlue Cross Tag just began, so I've started toying around with that. Unfortunately, no training mode in it - which I guess I should have seen coming, since Dragon Ball FighterZ's beta didn't have it either - so my first little while with it has just been going into versus mode against computers set to the lowest difficult to try and practice basics.

So far, definitely has potential. Since the characters I play in BlazBlue and Persona aren't in the beta I've mostly been playing around with Ruby and Weiss, emphasis on Weiss, and they seem fun. There's a mechanic with Weiss I'm having a hard time figuring out involving setting up glyphs around the stage, guess I'll likely have to wait until the game's out and I have training mode to figure that out, but it doesn't seem crucial to using her. Ruby's command dash seems very good, reminds me of Wesker's teleports from Marvel 3 - albeit not as good as those, since it has no invincibility on it.

I am a bit concerned that the control scheme for the game is... well, if not dumbed down (which is a phrase I kind of hate with regards to fighting games but almost seems appropriate here, with so many moves wrapped into being auto-combo filler), at least set up in such a way that it will make the characters feel and play a lot more alike than they should. Though I definitely really like that every character gets three different assist moves, all of which can be used, rather than just one (Dragon Ball) or three but you have to pick just one (Marvel vs Capcom), though. I hope they add that to Dragon Ball FighterZ when it inevitably gets a sequel or expanded version. They've got some pretty interesting mechanics revolving around assists and character switching in general, too, which look like they'll probably define the game's overall gameplay, especially at higher levels.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2018-05-09 at 07:54 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jama7301 View Post
    Same, except I know why I didn't finish it (I was bad at it)
    It can be tricky. does have a few bugs in it, but still pretty fun

sucks the devs aren't interested in making a new game / don't work for the company anymore. but if it ever gets a reboot, remake, or spiritual successor, i'd totally be on board.

Wouldn't mind some small changes to it mind you. being able to increase the number of heroes you can take into a fight, increase how many items each hero can hold at a time, have building structures and researching new weapons / items be two separate things, etc. Small things, but man would they be handy.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2018-05-10 at 03:50 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Started Final Fantasy Type 0. Bought it on sale a while back and it's sat in the backlog since then. I want to like it, but it has some issues that are grating on me.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

26. - Top - End - #446

PirateGuy

Finshed a Super Mario World 96 Exit clear file last night. Been awhile since I went through it and done that. It's being replaced by Super Mario RPG in the rotation for the time being.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

thinking about picking up Pillars of Eternity on Xbox. A game I missed and now there is tons of hype for the second game.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Is it even on XboX? I thought it was a PC exclusive.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

29. - Top - End - #449
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Is it even on XboX? I thought it was a PC exclusive.
    Got ported last year.

It's apparently a pretty good version, albeit with some hefty loading times. (Which to be fair it has even on my PC with an SSD).

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure the title's referring to the loading screens.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2