New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

d6 (IC) Expedition to the Demonweb Pits! (Tales From The Blood War #IV)

Having seen the seer, you return with a bounty of knowledge predicting a drow uprising on the material plane, which could having some serious inter-planar consequences. Having begged you to do so, the seer convinces you to go off and stop it, even if you doubt the seer to be right.

Having returned to the portal to the material plane, you make the necessary preparations...

(What do you do?

@Archmage/Dimers: Do you want to search for spell vendors?)
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2018-09-21 at 07:34 PM.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Expedition to the Demonweb Pits! (Tales From The Blood War #IV) IC

The half-drow sorcerer Verik Karn was rather surprised that the waters of the Singing Fountain bore news of trouble brewing among the drow, but Black Marian had seemed honestly to believe in what she did, so he had to assume that the seer was on the level. Back to the Underdark? I'm not sure I'm ready for that ...

With this new problem taking priority, the quest to find the prophetic scroll and the glabrezu who stole it had to be abandoned or at least put on hold.

Along with four of the others from that job, and his animated wolf skeleton Biter the Mighty, Verik went through the portal the seer had spoken of, back to the material plane. But is this really my home plane? Is this Faerun?

The group was fortified by the heroes' feast produced by Verik's horn of plenty for breakfast this morning. He also cast mage armor on himself and on Biter.

He tells his companions "I have to admit, I am curious. The drow are usually a cautious people."

OOC: heroes' feast (immune to poison & fear; +1 morale to attack & Will; (1d8+6)[9] temp hp, 12 hr)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

With the news of a devastating drow attack in the works, Eilyra takes steps to ensure that their current task remains in limbo, so that they might claim the reward later. After a bit of research, she contacts an archmage, and bribes him to hold Ashiethema in a summoning circle, presenting him as a potential threat.
    Alas, when the summon failed, she had no alternative, but to depart, leaving troubles in her heart.

With their current mission handled, Eilyra rejoined her companions, and passed through the portal, and looks around the overgrown forest surrounding the portal with a slight frown. It looks like we're in the middle of nowhere, but looks can be deceiving. Time for me to take a little trip, I think. We'll need to find the drow, before we can kill them all, after all. Foul things that they are, that's all they deserve. After I know what's around, I'll be able to plan. Risky, but better than simply floundering about on the ground.. "I'll take a look about, see what's around, so we can pick a direction. Killing the foul things is always worthwhile." Her voice is thick with hatred, but before anyone can really respond, she leaps into the air, before flapping her wings savagely, launching herself above the treeline, to take a look around.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2018-09-21 at 06:48 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Verik stares in surprise at Eilyra's remark.

"Hold on! I may be only half drow but I think you had better explain your meaning."

He draws his rod of viscid globs to show that he means business.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Will sighs as he steps through the portal and Eilyra is causing more havoc, by merely talking, that was his job, not hers! But she always grandstanded him!

[[Now now Eilyra, be nice and don't be rude.]] he chides her as she instinctively insults one of their companions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #6

GreenSorcererElf

Alas, the scattering of dirt and leaves, along with a faint smell of brimstone were the only answer Verik received from the fast flying half-fiend. To Will, she directs a single dry thought: He's still alive, isn't he?
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2018-09-21 at 06:01 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Will looks to Verik and smiles, "I'm sure she didn't mean a word of it, you know deamons and their spawn, especially elven spawn...they can't be trusted." he finishes, with a knowing smile. He did love wordplay.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: (IC) Expedition to the Demonweb Pits! (Tales From The Blood War #IV)

"Since she can't be trusted it would've been better not to bring her. Most of my experience with surface elves was in Sigil, but I got the distinct impression that the drow tales of their evil were false. Was I wrong?

In any case our mission is stop this war, not to wage it. We may kill those who stand against us, but don't seek out trouble. Any of you have a problem with that?"
    Verik asks of the others around him.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: (IC) Expedition to the Demonweb Pits! (Tales From The Blood War #IV)

As Eilyra shoots up into the air, she sees naught but a continuing country road (OOC: ♩Take me home, country roads...♩), up until a small dot on the horizon. She can't quite tell what it is (OOC: Make a spot check, DC 15 Basic, DC 26 Advanced), but it's probably the only source of civilization around, save for the possibility of intelligent life amongst the trees...
    Show

Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

10. - Top - End - #10

GreenSorcererElf

Dropping down again almost immediately after cresting the trees(And sending a scattering of twigs and leaves falling from her rough flight, as well as sending frightened birds scattering in all directions), Eilyra returns with a grin, content with the knowledge that she had done right. Moments after landing, and shaking her wings(Sending more leaves/twigs free), she speaks. "There's a road to the west of here, with what looks to be an inn. We'll be able to pick up more information there." Without waiting for a response, Eilyra starts walking to the west, and as she does so, her form seems to blur as her wings, tail, and horns vanish, and her skin loses it's red tint, becoming a pale gold instead. After a few moments, she pauses, before looking back at Will and Verik, and speaking abruptly. "It might be safer to not mention my heritage, all things considered. Or my name." With that said, she resumes working her way through the woods.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Shrugging, Verik follows.

"Code names are a good idea. I'll call you Helen. I'll be Rick. Will, you can be Kant. As for Biter the Mighty, he can be Biter the Obedient."

12. - Top - End - #12

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns, but doesn't turn to face Verik as she answers calmly. "It might be better for Biter to keep out of sight all together. He's too memorable. And Helen would be an unusual name for an elf. Perhaps Laurel might be better?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Verik replies "But Helen works because of the whole ... Eh, whatever. Biter can wait in the woods."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Soliton follows without comment, picking a loose leaf from the edge of his cloak, and sending it on a spiraling path to the bushes that line the road. He seems somehow less at ease, now that he's back on the Prime Material. I'm not sure I'd be entirely welcome in an inn or travel house. He volunteers. I could brood menacingly in the background, if you think I'd pass muster as a bodyguard? Or would you prefer me to wait in the forest with the other animals?

After a moment he continues. It's hard to imagine the drow, of all peoples, posing a threat. They don't seem to have the numbers. They consort with demons, of course. Maybe they're arranging something extra-planar?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Verik says "Soliton, you can be Gregory. I don't think you'll have much trouble at an inn, though I might.

Don't underestimate the Drow. Though small in number, many of them are skilled warriors and spellcasters. Even so, yes, it would be extremely strange if they plan to bear the brunt of the fighting themselves rather than using demons or tricking others to do it, that is very much standard practice."

16. - Top - End - #16

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra frowns thoughtfully at Soliton's question, but Verik speaks up before she does. After Verik finishes, she chimes in as well, her voice cool and collected. "I don't believe it will be a problem, Soliton. Fharlanghnites should be willing to host you, as a traveler. And I'll echo Verik. Don't underestimate the drow. They're fanatical, obsessed with plots and secrecy, and use slave soldiers extensively, while their own troops act as spies, saboteurs, and magical support. Expect ambushes, and flanking maneuvers, and a certain disregard for the lives of their slaves. Don't expect a room full of slaves to encourage them to not cast fireballs, or other similar spells." She pauses, and frowns once more as something occurs to her. "But a large scale attack is very much out of character for them. They're usually fairly objective based, using hit and run tactics. Destroy a village, withdraw. Take slaves, withdraw. A sustained campaign would be very unusual for them, and a very bad sign. They're extremely fragmented, so it generally takes a command from their demon goddess, Lloth to get them to act in an organized fashion."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Oh, I don't underestimate them. He says mildly, picking more bits of twig from his robe. I'm just questioning the logistics of it all. It seems that Oerth is too large for them to take, ah, in person, as it were. Maybe with vast slave armies? hm...

He stops, looks around, sees mainly trees, and then carries on walking.

Does anyone know where we are? Geographically, I mean?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Verik says "True, it's not a realistic goal for drow to occupy the surface. Some might talk big, but everyone knows that. Most drow hate to leave the Underdark. This 'drow uprising' must be far more localized. There must be some other factor involved if the seer was so concerned about it.

As for where we are, I don't even know what plane this is."
    Last edited by kinem; 2018-09-24 at 12:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Will raises an eyebrow as they move towards the only settled area in this neighborhood, they were talking about how much more they knew about drow than the other, he was amazed they didn't unsheathe their weapons and compare sizes, it was the ludicrous to him, and he ignored the lot of them.

Drow, they were annoying, and tended to like spiders, or so he'd heard, dammit, there he want, joining in without even thinking about it.

Shaking himself, he steeled his will, and carried onwards, ignoring his companions.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

This looks like the Prime Material plane. Or at least the parts I'm familiar with. It's quite distinctive, but probably not unique.

Soliton shrugs.

It's strange. I was expecting to be sent to investigate the planes, to see if any threat from there would come here. Instead I appear to be back home, seeing if this Oerth-like place could pose any threat to a city full of the full panoply of the Outer Heavens. He continues ponderously Funny how things turn out.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Verik says "Thing is, there are many Prime Material planes. I am from a planet known as Abeir-Toril. I am not familiar with Oerth. But it is similar, I guess. This place could be on either, or neither."

22. - Top - End - #22

GreenSorcererElf

Grinning wickedly, Eilyra chimes in again, with perhaps the thickest Sigilese accent you've ever heard. "We've blitzed our way onto the Prime, cutters. Now, to the bub, and maybe to the burg, so we can find the dark of it, go for a ride, and not end up in the dead book."

After a few moments, she speaks again, this time, without the atrocious accent. "We'll find out once we reach the Traveler's Rest."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2018-09-24 at 06:59 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Upon appearing at the building, true enough to Eilyra's word, a sign hangs from up top picturing the words "Traveler's Rest" and the holy symbol of Fharlanghn. It looks relatively abandoned, though it appears to be well stocked from the outside.

Spoiler: Going inside...
    Show
    Roll Initiative! JUST KIDDING!

The inside is also similarly stocked, and devoid of creatures. It contains
    -Three sets of bunk beds (and can thus sleep 6 travelers)
    -14 days worth of food
    -20 days worth of fodder
    -A fenced-off corral
    -An enclosed privy
    -Plenty of firewood and a handaxe
    -Enough supplies for all your cooking/hygiene needs
    ----Adventurer's Gear
    --2 50ft coils of hemp rope
    --20 Torches
    --2 Waterskins
    --2 sets of flint & steel
    --3 flasks acid
    --2 vials alchemist's fire

Nothing else happens

(What do you do?)
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

GreenSorcererElf

Looking around the well stocked, if empty room, Eilyra quickly counts the supplies present, even as she thinks furiously. No one here? So this is a waystation. Unfortunate, as I was hoping for rather more people. But it looks like the standard stock is 20 days worth of food and supplies, but only 14 remains, so someone's been here since it's last resupply, so it isn't abandoned. And since the presence supports a strong Fharlanghn background, we're probably on Oerth. So we know where we are. No maps is a little disappointing. Frowning, she turns back to Will, Soliton, and Verik. "It looks like we're probably on Oerth; No where else really has the supporters of Fharlanghn to set up waystations like this one. And it looks like it's in active use, as there's about a week's worth of supplies missing, so a group came through since the last restock. Since it's probably quite early here, we should keep moving. Typically, roads mean farms, or trade, and either one tends to result in small villages every few hours along roads, so we should find someone by noon." With what information that could be found in the waystation gathered, Eilyra turns to leave, careful to keep enough space for her hidden wings and tail to not cause issues as she does. Walking out, she offers once last comment, as an afterthought. "Oh, and if you're thinking of emptying the waystation, don't. That's a fairly fast way to earn the wroth of a god."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2018-09-25 at 06:53 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Verik says "Damn it! We don't even have riding lizards. And how can we know which direction to take? Or even ... is that sun rising or falling?"

26. - Top - End - #26

GreenSorcererElf

Eilyra smiles toothily at Verik. "That's half the fun! Let's go..." She reaches into her bag, and produces a copper coin(Marked with the coronal's seal on one side, and the Dlardrageth seal on the other), before flipping it. It lands Dlardrageth up, and Eilyra's grin continues. "Right, and as for the sun... we'll find out in an hour or so, I'd imagine. There'll be plenty of light regardless." With a plan in place, she starts along the road once more, taking a right after leaving the waystation.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Shrugging, Verik follows her. Eventually he points out "I'm pretty sure the sun is sinking. We could travel at night, stop, or go back to the empty inn."

28. - Top - End - #28

GreenSorcererElf

Having noted the passage of the sun as well, Eilyra frowns thoughtfully, before she speaks, her words made perhaps a bit sharper from frustration. "You're right. Judging by how far it's moved, We should have another hour or so of light. If we're lucky, the moon might be out. I'll try going up, to see what I see. If I can see the village within an hour or two's walk from here, we should keep moving. If not, we'll turn back. Seems reasonable?" Without really giving anyone a chance to respond, Eilyra takes off again, circling up as she looks around, for signs of a village up ahead, or other points of interest.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Will sees the waystation and nods, it was getting close to dark, and unlike most of his companions, he couldn't see in the dark.

ignoring them " Well, I'm going to stop here, is a good place and as far as we know, we're not in a hurry"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

30. - Top - End - #30

GreenSorcererElf

Coming back down, Eilyra hits the ground heavily, but straightens easily afterwards. "And there's nothing within easy walking distance either way that I could see. So, waiting here until morning seems reasonable. I can take the first watch."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss