New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Tapestry FATE Campaign Setting

Kay, some of my other threads on this subforum have, to a more or less degree, failed. I think I know why: I never put anything but the mission statement on them. That's going to change with this thread, as well as some other things.

This thread is trying to make a campaign setting based on Henry H Neff's (not mine if copyright's an issue, all his. I don't claim to own it) Tapestry book series. It's basically if Rick Riordan wrote books on Celtic (Irish) mythology.

Anywho the basic story is that Celtic's version of demons overthrow the modern world, erase most sources of modern technology, and start to rule the world with most of the main demons setting up shop in eastern and central Europe.

Also there's a bunch of other stuff. For right now I'm using this thread as a place holder for any ideas I get about the project, but I am open to criticism.

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    Spellcraft is a new skill that doesn't actively play as a skill, it's more like if a skill and a stress track had a baby. Spellcraft is used whenever the user casts a spell, and spells can do pretty much anything. Throw a fireball to damage enemies or destroy a barrier, enchant someone's mind so he thinks he or she is your ally, or summon a ward to protect yourself from harm. Now Spellcraft may sound cool, but there's a catch. For starters, only certain extras grant Spellcraft, and another is how Spellcraft works as a skill. Every time you use Spellcraft for something, the Skill Spellcraft accrues a -1 penalty.

Example: Max is fighting a winged demon flying thirty feet above him. He decides to throw a column of force against the creature, and rolls his Spellcraft which is at a Great (+4). He rolls a total roll of Fantastic (+6), and the winged demon rolls a total roll of Good (+3) to try and dodge out of the way. The demon takes three physical stress boxes as the column of force hits its shoulder. Meanwhile Max's Spellcraft goes from a Great (+4) to a Good (+3). NOTE: There is no cap on how far down Spellcraft can go. However, at the start of each day, the Spellcraft skill goes back to its original position.

If you have more than one Extra giving you Spellcraft, you gain a specialization for every extra that gives you Spellcraft other than the original.. Specializations grant a +1 bonus to specifically one field of spell casting. This field doesn't have to be precise, but it can't be overly broad. For example, you could have a specialization in fire magic, but not a specialization in combat magic. Multiple of the same specializations stack.

Another thing that you can do if you have more than one source giving you the ability to get the Spellcraft skill is you can increase the amount of times you can use the skill before it starts to deteriorate. For example, Max has gotten two instances of the ability to get Spellcraft, once from Mehrun, and once from Old Magic. Max is still fighting the winged demon, but after his successful spell has hit the demon, his Spellcraft skill doesn't deteriorate (it stays at Great +4)

EDIT 1: Edit one's going to cover Rowan Academy. Think Hogwarts, but with technology.

Spoiler: Rowan Extras
    Show
    Mehrun: You have the blood of mystics, though it isn't very potent.
    Prerequisites: Race is Human or Vye
    Cost: Skill ranks and two refresh.
    What it Do: You gain the ability to use Spellcraft as a skill. Additionally, you gain a Spellcraft Specialization (See Spellcraft).

Old Magic: Your blood is much more potent than other Mehrun
    Prerequisites: Race is human or Vye. Cannot be taken outside character creation.
    Cost: Skill ranks and four refresh
    What it Do: You gain the ability to use Spellcraft as a skill. Additionally, you gain a +1 to all uses with Spellcraft and a specialization.

Rowan Training: Through training at Rowan academy, you have learned to hone your spells into something fierce
    Prerequisites: Race is Human
    Cost: Can only be taken a total of three times, and it costs two refresh
    What it Do: Gain a spell specialization and a +1 bonus to fight when facing non human entities

Spoiler: Race Related Extras
    Show
    Spoiler: Vye
    Show
    Vye: Vyes are a mystery to the magic community. Legends say that two men named Romulus and Remus ran from their homes, and were found and raised by a spirit in the shape of a wolf. Remus, as a man, fell in love with a witch, and their children were the first Vyes.
    Prerequisites: High Concept reflects that your race is Vye
    Cost: two refresh
    What it Do: Vyes have two forms: human and beast. In human form, a Vye gains a +1 bonus on all deceive skill checks, and in beast form a Vye gains a +1 bonus to all fight skill checks. However, anyone who suspects that a Vye is hiding in human form can do away with their disguise by questioning them with riddles. This is an opposed check with the riddler making an empathy opposed to the Vye's will. If the human wins, the Vye is immediately transformed in his beast form, and if the Vye wins, the Vye can choose whether he stays in his Human form or Vye form. If a Vye is subject to bright light while in Beast form, the Vye suffers a -2 penalty to all of his skills. If this light permeates (say the Vye is in direct sunlight), then the penalty permeates. If the light is instantaneous (say a flashlight clicking on and off), then the penalty only lasts for as long as the light lasts. Additionally, while in human form the Vye has the aspect Agitated, which may be tagged for free once per scene. Additionally still, if the Vye is in the presence of intense cold (at least 30 degrees Fahrenheit) they have the Agitated aspect no matter what form they are in.

Study of Apocrypha: You have been to the great Vye libraries and have made a study of a field of knowledge, and knowledge is power...
    Prerequisites: Race is Vye
    Cost: Can only be taken a total of three times, and it costs two refresh
    What it Do: Gain a spell specialization and a +1 bonus to fight when facing human (or man made) entities

Spoiler: Witch
    Show
    Witch: Witches, while technically human, are an entire breed of magic users in and of themselves. Witches split apart from normal magic users long ago, and have resorted to paganism dubbed witchcraft, which acts strange compared to normal Spellcraft.
    Prerequisites: High concept reflects you are a witch, can only be female
    Cost:
    What it Do: You gain the ability to put ranks in the Spellcraft skill, but a specialized version of it called witchcraft. With this version of Spellcraft you can only do three things with Spellcraft: Weathermancy, Hexenwork, or Enchantment.
    Weathermancy is the practice of changing the weather for your purposes, but you can't outright call a bolt of lightning down on your enemies. You can however call down a particularly violent storm that hurts everyone in a zone equally however.
    Hexenwork is the ability to lay down curses. Curses imposes a -x check for y rounds where x and y are the amount of shifts you put into them. Treat a hex like an attack that can be defended by will. For example, Max has suffered the ire of a witch named Dame Magdha. Dame Dharma has decided to impede Max's fighting abilities, and her Spellcraft is at a Great (+4). She rolls a Good (+3) for a total number of 7 shifts. Max has a Good (+3) Will, and rolls a Fair (+2), for a total of 5 shifts. With Max's block, this brings the amount of shifts Dame Magdha has to 2 shifts. She decides to impose a -1 penalty to Max's Spellcraft for one round.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2017-12-09 at 01:11 PM.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.