New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Eye of the All-Father (A Storm King's Thunder Adventure)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm going to cautiously advance towards the door (not intending to open it just yet), while searching for things looking out of place. I'm presuming this would be investigation, correct?

You do not notice much out of place in the temple proper, but as you get closer to the partially opened door to the north, you start seeing parchment and random bits strewn about. Most certainly coming from the room. As you cautiously looked inside, you see 2 goblins swinging from a thick rope hanging from the steeple...the source of the ringing bell.
    They do not notice you. In fact, they seem to be enjoying the noise.
    Airannis Ragnok Kamui Draykhen
    IC IC IC None Yet

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Elaine steps back from the door, planning inside her head. So not a trap then, just stupidity. Gesturing to her friends, she shouts, feeling rather amused by her 'stealth skills'. "It's two goblins. Fan out, and we can get them as they come out." She holds two fingers, then makes sweeping motions to illustrate her plan.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

After making his way to the door, Viliniketu switches to his shortbow and takes aim at the closer of the two goblins.

"Should I get their attention? Or do we just wait?"

The Wood Elf readies an arrow and prepares to fire based on his allies' replies.

Spoiler: Readied Action to Fire Based on Group Decision
    Show
    Attack if group says DO IT! (1d20+5)[13]
    Damage if it is a hit. (1d6+3)[6]
    If it's a crit. (1d6)[5]

Hopefully this is okay to do. If not just ignore this bit and Viliniketu will attack when things are fully a go.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kent sees which creature it is that Vil is aiming at and nods, readying himself to close in on the other Goblin, so as to prevent it from getting to the healers and to allow the rest of the group to hammer on a single target. Since goblins are humanoids I gain a +2 to damage.

Spoiler: Attack roll.
    Show

Attack 1 (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage 1 (1d6+5)[9]

Attack 2 (1d20+3)[8]
    Damage 1 (1d6+2)[7]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercer notices the group posing to attack, and posits a different idea. "Oth, surely you could ... convince our newfound friends that a fight isn't worth it." He gestures to Kent and Viliniketu standing ready by the door. "We have them surrounded, and I'm sure they'll be proper scared of a half-orc threatening them to reveal the fate of this place."

Spoiler
    Show
    Since we can't really get in, maybe Oth could go for an Intimidation check? Will leave it up to you, ok.name
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2017-11-23 at 02:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

"There's still the other goblins outside. As soon as the bells stop ringing, they'll probably come to investigate, and I don't think we have enough time to secure these ones before they turn up." It feels strange to be using her 'sergeant's shout' once again, but she continues anyway. "Honestly, we'd probably be better dealing with the others first, but if we must, maybe we could bust down the wall? I don't really want to have to engage them once at a time."

7. - Top - End - #67

AssassinGuy

Goblins get board after a while. I don't think it will be a big deal if they stop ringing. I don't want to leave these pests at our back later either. Why wait to squish a cockroach.

Kent shakes his head at the city folk, not knowing how goblins as a whole operate.

they are barely intelligent. More like feral animals with a lust for killing. Even if others investigate, it will save us time, and we have a decent choke point to deal with them.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

It is almost possible to taste the hatred coming from Oth’s glaring eyes. Mercer, if not the entire group, can see it quite clearly: the half-orc’s entire body is bulging with rage.

This is entirely out of character for the druid, who is usually gentle and soft spoken.. But those who took a bit of time in getting to know Oth, chatting or spending time with him, will remember he grew up in a temple that was attacked and desecrated by invading forces.

These goblins ringing the temple’s bells have brought Oth back to that day.

"It's {BOONG!}oblins. Fa{BOONG!}an get the{BOONG!}ut."

Oth remembers his friends being killed.

"Shou{BOONG!!}tention? Or do we{BOONG!!}"

Oth remembers his temple burning down.

"{BONG!} surely you coul{BOONG!}ince our newfound frien{BOONG!}sn't worth it."

Oth is not listening anymore, he’s lost in memories.

He remembers the teachings of nature, the natural balance of hunter and prey. He thinks of the fair hunter, that will take no more than what is needed. And he thinks of the unnatural monsters that destroy everything they touch.

"These monsters won’t get away with this!"

The half-orc druid enchants his quarterstaff and rushes forward!!!

Spoiler: Attack roll
    Show
    Attack:(1d20+4)[21], damage: (1d8+2)[8]

Spoiler: alternative
    Show
    I'd really prefer to attack, but I don't want to be the a-hole who disrupts the entire group's plan, so here's an alternative intimidation check:

"Go back to the unholy depths you crawled out from!"

intimidation: Don't want the choice based on the best roll, so consider the same d20 from the attack, but it's +1 instead.

9. - Top - End - #69

AssassinGuy

With a grin, Kent charges the other goblin.
    Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    see the attack roll from previous post.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Elaine shouts something, although her words are lost in the ringing of the bell, then summons a ball of fire in her hand. Gesturing, she hurls the burning ball at the Goblin Oth is attacking. At the same time, she looks around, preparing to take cover from attacks from in front or behind.

Show
    Alright then, let's set things on fire. Casting sacred flame on Oth's goblin. Dex save,
    or (1d8)[7] damage.

Not that it looks very relevant, looking at their HP.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2017-11-24 at 02:09 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

While Elaine and a few others try and assess the scene in the small area serving as a bedroom, the rage within Oth boils to the surface and escapes as the Half-Orc moves forward and delivers a deadly blow with his quarterstaff that knocks one of the goblins from the large rope and smashes it against the nearest wall with a sickening crunch of bones.

This was enough to send everyone else into action through the small doorway. With little space to navigate the small room, an arrow sails through the doorway and misses the last remaining goblin as Kent lunges in with both blades and cuts down the creature before it even has time to register what had happened to the other goblin.

With the two goblins dead, and the ringing of the large temple bell coming to a silence, you now have time to glance around the small room and see that it is in complete disarray. Scattered along the ground are two partially filled sacks and several useless items.

Spoiler: Treasure
    Show
    In one of the sacks you find three (3) blocks of Incense worth 5gp each, a silvered holy symbol of Mielikki shaped like the head of a unicorn worth 25gp, and some worthless personal effects from the nearby dresser.
    The other sack contains three empty vials each labeled 'Holy Water' that must have been drank and a wooden 'poor box' with no lock containing 40 CP and 15 SP .
    Note on Treasure / Coins: All itemized treasures that no one wishes to set aside to keep as is (like the silvered holy symbol) will be 'sold' and turned into coin once you reach a place capable of doing so. All Coin is shared in a 'party coffer' of sorts that each of you will pull from when making purchases, and that money will go to when making sales. Magical items and other non coin treasure can be divided as the party chooses upon discovery, or later.

I will NOT be keeping track of your treasure gains beyond these Treasure Spoilers, but I will be keeping track of your purchases and losses/uses of such things. So someone, one of you, will have to track these things for you, or risk not accounting for something, or accounting wrong. Keeping a treasure log on one of your character sheets might be a good idea.

Nothing else stands out in these 2 rooms of the wooden temple. With the commotion the bell was causing now silenced, what do you want to do from here?
    Last edited by Airatome1; 2017-11-25 at 12:10 PM.
    IC IC IC None Yet

12. - Top - End - #72

RogueGuy

Seeing the mess the goblins made of this holy place, Oth has tears in his eyes and says:

“Friends, I apologize for my imprudent behaviour. I couldn’t stand the mockery these monsters made of a place of worship.”

“You said there’s more of them? My thirst for vengeance is unquenched.”
    Last edited by ok.name; 2017-11-25 at 03:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

AssassinGuy

No need to apologize. You helped get the job done. I think you should hold on the the spoils of this battle my friend. You did you teachers proud.

edit: on phone. Color is wrong. I will fix later.
    Last edited by Devonkm; 2017-11-25 at 02:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmmph." Elaine makes a disapproving noise, but otherwise says nothing, preferring to leave such conversations for later. She shrugs her shoulders, then continues. Yes, there's a few, but not many. Mercer might be able to tell you the exact numbers. This time I'd like to leave one alive, though. Be good to know exactly what happened here."

Show
    Go ahead and account away, if you so desire.

Also, does it strike anybody as weird that burning down a temple is not okay, but looting the treasury is?Clearly I don't play enough D&D

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I suppose getting some info out of one of them would be useful. I can not guarantee anything with this bow of mine. Seems I've been away from it for too long. Though if we can get into a proper scrap, I'll make sure to pull my punches just enough so that you can ask your questions."

Viliniketu starts back down the stairs to exit the temple.

16. - Top - End - #76

RogueGuy

Oth collects the temple's treasure and follows Viliniketu into the next area.

17. - Top - End - #77

AssassinGuy

While the party continues to inspect the rest of the temple, Kent goes down to the entrance to keep a watch out for any goblins that may decide to check on the bells not ringing.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Elaine comes up behind Kent and also looks out the door. "There was, when we were up in the towers, a set of Goblins that way-" she gestures to the North "-and that way. Neither of them seemed in a great hurry to move, so I suggest we do the Northern ones first. If we take them out, we can then circle round and take the other set prisoner." She shrugs, then continues. "Should be easy with this many of us."

Show
    I presume Kent saw no movement from his position?
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2017-11-26 at 03:01 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Merver is shaken from his thoughts as the short battle initiated by Oth's rage fill the room for a few moments before subsiding. He sighs quietly to himself and follows Kent and Elaine back outside. He mentions, once again, "I think now would be a good time to close the drawbridge, like I was telling you earlier Elaine. The last thing we need is any of these goblins getting away and warning any other foes in the area that we're here. Especially since I'm sure the goblin's we've seen are only what's left over of something greater."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

"Before I wasn't so keen, lest we be trapped inside with the goblins, but they seem heartily incompetent, even by their standards. If they haven't come to investigate already, I suppose that they won't investigate draw-bridge closing sounds either." She nods, then heads in the direction of the drawbridge, if no-one raises any further objections.

21. - Top - End - #81

RogueGuy

Oth, the druid will follow Elaine closely and try to help with the bridge, if he can.

"Hope we're not locking ourselves in with something nasty."

22. - Top - End - #82

AssassinGuy

Kent makes his way to the drawbridge gatehouse, climbs in and begins turning the crank.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

With everyone else seeming to agree that closing off the way into the village should be their next move, Viliniketu happily joins them in the task. He follows Kent.

"Drawbridge it is then. Well at least once we take care of raising it we likely won't have to fear of any reinforcements from this direction. I do think we should look through the rest of the town for any trapped survivors though."
    Last edited by Vánagandr; 2017-11-27 at 10:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

RogueGuy

As soon as the drawbridge is up, Oth will move (or follow someone else's lead) into the closest building.

25. - Top - End - #85

AssassinGuy

Once the bridge is up, I will start moving north toward the first building on the path.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercer "supervises" the raising of the drawbridge, allowing the more physically able to turn the cranks and close off the only exit to the town. Once those manning the mechanisms return, he gives them each a satisfactory nod and turns towards the sign reading 'Nightstone Inn'. "So, we're looking in here then?" As Oth and Kent walk past him into the building with nary a word, he purses his lips and follows them inside. Guess so.

27. - Top - End - #87

AssassinGuy

Kent draws both of his Kama and begins to stealth into the Inn. Stay close, but let me peek in first. Lets see if there are any surprises here.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+5)[17] Stealth
    (1d20+4)[9] Perception

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

The Nightstone Inn

An ornate wrought-iron sign bearing the name 'Nightstone Inn' hangs above the entrance, facing the town square. To the left of the inn is a stable house with a whole punched through its roof.

With eyes open and silent on his toes, Kent reaches for the door and finds it unlocked, slowly pushing it open just enough to get a look inside. Kent finds the room strewn with wreckage and a large rock sitting among the broken rubble of a dining table and two long benches. A hole in the ceiling notes the rock's entryway. The remains of a wardrobe and and bed lie among the shattered dining room furnishings, most likely having fallen here from the upper level bedrooms when the rock crashed through. Two smaller round tables and several chairs remain in tact and resting upon each table is an unlit oil lamp.

The entrance to the Inn is in the center of the southern wall of the dining room, with a large staircase connected to the center of the eastern wall heading up. In the northwest corner of the room, in the northern wall, is a wooden door.

Laying on the floor in the middle of the room is a goblin! ....A second glance reveals the goblin is most certainly dead from the crossbow bolt that is sticking out of its chest. Those who fully enter this dining room and begin to look around hear occasional clattering and other racket coming from the door to the north.
    IC IC IC None Yet

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Elaine advances cautiously behind Kent and Viliniketu. She gestures at the door, hoping one of them will advance and investigate, while herself moving towards the dead goblin. Picking her way round an upturned table, the cleric crouches down beside the corpse and carefully inspects it. She checks for distinguishing markings on either the goblin, or the cross-bow bolt that killed it.

Most probably a local just got lucky, but I'd like to know. Don't want to start a fight with friendlies by accident.

Show
    Alright then, rolling for perception:

(1d20+3)[17]

Should I be rolling investigation as well?

If so: (1d20)[15]
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2017-12-04 at 02:52 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercer steps carefully through the debris, though his head turns to look at the improvised skylight left by the massive rock sitting in the room. Hearing the clattering and noise from the door on the far side of the room, he moves to the door, speaking a short prayer before he arrives at the noisy door. "Savras, grant me the clarity to hear beyond what I can see..." He then presses his ear to the door and attempts to identify the racket on the other side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Guidance and then listening to find out what the noise is.

(1d20+5)[8]+(1d4)[1]