New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Advice for a Trickster Wizard

So, my next 4th ed. campaign is coming up, I've looked through my books with the idea of making a Trickster in mind, but one can only go so far with a single mind. I am going to play a Pixie Wizard and will be in a party of 5-6 players in which will probably have a rogue that I will befriend. I am here to ask advice on which cantrips, feats, powers to take or to aim to as a level 1 and most importantly if you have any innovative use of those in situation sometimes unrelated to combat.

For example, I might use mage hand to drop sometime off a shelf to help the rogue do some sleight of hands, or prestidigitation to create an illusion of a torch coming up along a hallway to distract a guard on duty.

Obviously, my goal is to control, distract and incapacitate with the most stealth I can generate.

So far I'm thinking about getting the basic Wizard for the most cantrips (4 instead of 3 in the Player's Handbook), and taking Hypnotism as one of my two at-will and probably aiming for an AoE with a condition for the second. Ive got nothing but Sleep for dailies, and absolutly nothing yet for an encounter.
    Last edited by Eradis; 2017-11-11 at 04:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Any thoughts?

Final level 1 build: After having the time to read most level 1 powers of the Player's Handbook, Arcane Power, Heroes of the Fallen Land, Heroes of the Feywild and Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, here is what my little Pixie character's sheet looks.

Str: 8
    Con: 10
    Dex: 12
    Int: 20 (18+2)
    Wis: 12
    Cha: 14 (12+2)

Mage option (Had to let go of Light for the level 5 bonus to stealth and bluff of the illusion school and hope to campaign last long enough)

Cantrips: Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
    At-Wiil: Magic Missile (Freebee of the Mage option), Hypnotism, Winged Horde
    Encounter: Icy Terrain
    Daily: Sleep, Grease

Feature: Arcane Familiar (Rat) --> I intend to go with Jack of All Trades at level 2 before getting into the implement attack bonus and the initiative bonus.

I was unsure about Grease since there is a lot of more harmful dailies for wizard out there that do a similar effect and deals decent damage, but since I'd rather bring the enemies to their knees and create escape for stealth missions, I thought summoning grease on a 4x4 scale would be more thematic.

Now, I know there is such thing as background and theme in the 4th edition that grants skills and/or power bonus, but I'm not quite sure where to look. I'd be grateful if someone pointed me in the right direction for that (I'm assuming those need to be validated by the GM first to be sure it fits his/her setting).

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Eradis; 2017-11-13 at 01:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Eradis View Post
    Cantrips: Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
    At-Wiil: Magic Missile (Freebee of the Mage option), Hypnotism, Winged Horde
    Encounter: Icy Terrain
    Daily: Sleep, Grease
    Looks solid overall. Three suggestions: it's very useful to have a mass forced movement at-will, i.e. either Thunderwave or Beguiling Strands. Jack of all Trades is a pretty bad feat (because you should be using your trained skills, not boosting your untrained ones). And you should probably get 13 wisdom so you can get Enlarge Spell, which is probably the best wizard feat in the game.

Grease is good. Not the best, but still very good. Plus it's funny, that's worth something too.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Looks solid overall. Three suggestions: it's very useful to have a mass forced movement at-will, i.e. either Thunderwave or Beguiling Strands. Jack of all Trades is a pretty bad feat (because you should be using your trained skills, not boosting your untrained ones). And you should probably get 13 wisdom so you can get Enlarge Spell, which is probably the best wizard feat in the game.

Grease is good. Not the best, but still very good. Plus it's funny, that's worth something too.
    The problem I have with powers like Thunderwave is its close ranged. I intend to avoid getting up close as much as possible. I don't know Beguiling Strands though, from which book is it?

Jack of All Trades is actually an alternative way to boost my Stealth which is untrained. A Trickster that slips on his marbles or knock over a vase while sneaking away is an issue for my build, and since I'd rather have +2 stealth and +2 bluff rather than a +5 to stealth because I am already gaining bonuses from race and class.

Also, I'm not sure about where to find Enlarge too. I didn't get the time to go through all the feats yet, there is way to much for the little time I have on my hands to read them in one sitting.

Your insight is really helpful. If that at-will you are talking about also deals just a wee bit damage so I can help against minion horde I might just go with it instead of my initial "spawn fake double of myself" power.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The problem I have with powers like Thunderwave is its close ranged. I intend to avoid getting up close as much as possible.
    Yes, most wizards intend to avoid getting close. Conversely, that means that most enemies will want to close with you, and it's good to have an option for when they do. Plus, forced movement combines really well with your zone spells (like Grease and Icy Terrain, or Stinking Cloud at L5). You can even pull combos like Thunderwave to put some enemies closer together, then action point then Sleep on the lot of them.

Also, I'm not sure about where to find Enlarge too.
    Arcane Power. Probably the best book for any wizard (after the PHB1).

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Advice for a Trickster Wizard

Once again, great advice.

I'll tinker with my stat to at least have 13 Wisdom to get Enlarge Spell (though I am unsure if spell without die damage and just mod damage apply for this feat). I am still wondering about keeping Winged Horde or taking Beguiling Strands instead after reading about it, but I can't find the source of this one. In which book is this so-praised power?

Also, what are the nice common use for forced movement other than pushing off cliff and allowing flanking for allies (My GM usually put us in rather plain fighting stage where there is sometime difficult terrain, but generally not much else).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Enlarge Spell doesn't work on a spell without a damage die if I remember rightly.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Enlarge Spell doesn't work on a spell without a damage die if I remember rightly.
    That's how I understood it, but I'm unsure if it was only about damage, or damage die/dice.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

You lose damage for every die.

If I remember rightly, it is -2 per die of damage.

So if you have 1d6 damage, that is -2 damage. If you have 3d6, that is -6 damage.

If you have 1d12 damage, it is also -2 damage.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Also, what are the nice common use for forced movement other than pushing off cliff and allowing flanking for allies (My GM usually put us in rather plain fighting stage where there is sometime difficult terrain, but generally not much else).
    (1) pushing melee enemies away from you without an OA, and
    (2) pushing enemies into zones you create (such as with the Grease spell), and
    (3) pushing allies around: out of grabs, away from hazards, into attack position if they're dazed or immobilized, etc. Get their permission first, obviously. If your wizard is not specced for high damage then this is often worth it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    You lose damage for every die.

If I remember rightly, it is -2 per die of damage.

So if you have 1d6 damage, that is -2 damage. If you have 3d6, that is -6 damage.

If you have 1d12 damage, it is also -2 damage.
    Aye, I confirm that it is how it works. Page 125 of Arcane Power. Though, do you know in which book I can find "Beguiling Strands"? I couldn't find it in my bunch.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Beguiling Strands is one of the At-will powers introduced in Heroes of the Fallen Lands.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well... It looks like I'm gonna drop Winged Horde and the Illusion School to take Beguiling Strands and the Enchantment School. The later stealth bonus kinda hurt my feelings, but with a Tiny size, it won't be hard finding cover to help boost it up a bit. My cantrips will be my main illusions. So long making people think that the Pixie they spotted in their shop stealing coins ran away with his winged horde. I'll use prestidigitation instead to come up with more contextual diversions.

I'll tinker with my stat array tomorrow probably, but I'll have to check if Enlarge Spell will really be worth it with a build with not a lot of die-based damage.

Thank you by the way gents for all this marvelous information. I don't think I have ever been that psyched about playing a character before (Although I admit it does not happens a lot since I haven't been a player for years).

14. - Top - End - #14

OldWizardGuy

Just in case it's not on your radar already, I'll point out Orb Expertise as something to keep in mind to further boost your forced movement.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by tiornys View Post
    Just in case it's not on your radar already, I'll point out Orb Expertise as something to keep in mind to further boost your forced movement.
    It was not. I haven't played extensive 4th edition games and it was years ago that we played this edition (we just switched to White Wolf pen and paper instead mostly). Is this one in Arcane Power or in Fallen Lands too? (I thought having a 5x5 at-will that pushes 5 squares with the enchantment school was already pretty insane).

16. - Top - End - #16

OldWizardGuy

Orb Expertise is also from HotFL.

With all the forced movement, hopefully your DM starts giving you more variety in the environment.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by tiornys View Post
    Orb Expertise is also from HotFL.

With all the forced movement, hopefully your DM starts giving you more variety in the environment.
    Found the book for 12$ in "very good condition" on Amazon. Meanwhile I'll check out the pdf version. Thanks! It's one of the few player's option I'm missing. If my GM doesn't put more environment I'll try to force a description out of him and use anything to if not push far enough, trip the enemies into chair, rock, twigs... even if the rules does not technically allow it. I'll find a way to make something work.