New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Solo Cavalier Run - Part 2 ermahGerd!

Really? I thought the mosaic chapter images were pretty cool.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Really? I thought the mosaic chapter images were pretty cool.
    I may or may not just be echoing my wife, who is a design snob.

3. - Top - End - #33

All things considered, I think I'll put my next pip into Short Swords.

1. Lady Gerd is officially a Sword Nut. Axes, hammers, etc. would be out-of-character.
    2. She prefers dual-wielding to two-handing, because of course two swords are better than one. Plus, she's convinced that if she practices enough, she can unlock the secret of the legendary Sword-Chucks, yo!
    3. Scimitar, Wakizashi, Ninjato, and Katana don't have "Sword" in the name, so she's convinced they aren't really swords. Plus, they are Suspiciously Foreign, and probably for Lame Weebs.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lector87 View Post
    All things considered, I think I'll put my next pip into Short Swords.

1. Lady Gerd is officially a Sword Nut. Axes, hammers, etc. would be out-of-character.
    2. She prefers dual-wielding to two-handing, because of course two swords are better than one. Plus, she's convinced that if she practices enough, she can unlock the secret of the legendary Sword-Chucks, yo!
    3. Scimitar, Wakizashi, Ninjato, and Katana don't have "Sword" in the name, so she's convinced they aren't really swords. Plus, they are Suspiciously Foreign, and probably for Lame Weebs.
    In which case, I would suggest that there's an early short sword that is quite nice... I can't recall its name, but it's a +2 short sword that renders one immune to Hold Person (the solo-killer).

And, I got started on a new character at home... a gnome cleric/thief. ST18, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 15, IIRC. 94 point roll. Right now, it's quarterstaff and sling, but he'll grab a club proficiency to be ready for BG2, and maybe two-handed for the minor damage and crit boost, and weapon and shield because there are some sweet special abilities on shields and it would be nice to use them with Blackblood.

I kinda want to solo him, but I also kinda don't, because I am wishy-washy.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    In which case, I would suggest that there's an early short sword that is quite nice... I can't recall its name, but it's a +2 short sword that renders one immune to Hold Person (the solo-killer).
    Suna Seni, an NPC from a random ambush in Athkatla drops it and it's called Arbane's.

Do the quest for the Tiefling bardic troupe, tied to the Haer'dalis personal quest, early, to get your hands on Kundane, which is basically a Short Sword version of Belm.

You should also buy Mask +4 from the merchant in front of Watcher's Keep named Garlena.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Ilbratha from the mage in Imnesvale is also extremely awesome. Being able to mirror image herself will be very useful when fighting archers, especially since she isn't using a shield.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

7. - Top - End - #37

I am picturing this character with a key ring full of swords, that she switches to as needed.

And I never wound up with Kundane before... I work hard not to kill those NPCs. I am beginning to think I should just slaughter my way through the game sometime.

EDIT: I was a jerk to Imoen, trying to do a solo run. I don't think I can do this. I may have to reload so I can not be a jerk to her.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2017-11-25 at 02:54 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I am picturing this character with a key ring full of swords, that she switches to as needed.

And I never wound up with Kundane before... I work hard not to kill those NPCs. I am beginning to think I should just slaughter my way through the game sometime.

EDIT: I was a jerk to Imoen, trying to do a solo run. I don't think I can do this. I may have to reload so I can not be a jerk to her.
    Honestly, I might make it a minor personal quest to collect every unique Bastard/Long/Short Sword. I'll need that bag of holding first...

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

If money is an issue, snag the scroll case from the book keeper in the northern area of the Promenade, so you can pick up and store all those useless wizardy things for sale later. Gerd has wares, if you have coin.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    If money is an issue, snag the scroll case from the book keeper in the northern area of the Promenade, so you can pick up and store all those useless wizardy things for sale later. Gerd has wares, if you have coin.
    You'll probably want some Restoration scrolls, anyway (until you get to Chapter 3, if you side with the Thieves against the Vampires).
    The Cranky Gamer

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

So OP, have you given any thoughts at how deep you wanna dive? You gonna tackle Kangaxx? Twisted Rune? Watcher's Keep?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    So OP, have you given any thoughts at how deep you wanna dive? You gonna tackle Kangaxx? Twisted Rune? Watcher's Keep?
    Lady Gerd will tackle as much of the optional content as *can* be completed by a solo Paladin.

I gave up on Durlag's Tower in the first game because it was just too much of a slog. Basically, I'm up for anything as long as it's fun, and not a horrible chore.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

All the good Paladin gear is on level 3 of WK. It's level 2 that's annoying to get past.

14. - Top - End - #44

All the good Paladin gear is on level 3 of WK. It's level 2 that's annoying to get past.
    Speaking of Watcher's Keep, what level should Lady Gerd attain before she takes it on?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not a good judge, I typically head there first thing, just because the first level has some valuable loot, but also nasty enemies. I spend a few hours reloading until I've won the fights.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lector87 View Post
    Speaking of Watcher's Keep, what level should Lady Gerd attain before she takes it on?
    I don't really know, but since it's geared for ToB, I'd say around or past the original bg2 level cap. It's got a ton of hard stuff in it, and a ton of very good gear. If you don't save it for last, you'll find the rest of the game easy by comparison, which I personally wouldn't want.

17. - Top - End - #47

Emerging from the kinky depths of the love-slave dungeon, (dryad magic nuts in hand), our Lady Gerd found her captor in hot combat with the Shadow Thieves, whom he quickly reduced to steaming piles of meat. What’s-Her-Face decided this was the best time to unleash her Latent Magical Power, and got herself arrested by the Wizard Cops, who enforce a strict Wizard Monopoly.

Spoiler: rules are rules
    Show

Lady Gerd thoroughly approved of this swift enforcement of local regulations. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, citizen!

Setting out to explore her surroundings, she discovered that she was in Waukeen's Promenade, in Athkatla, capital of Amn!

Spoiler: Baldur's Gate Not Appearing In This Game
    Show

Aside from a bit of casual shopping and information gathering, the most significant thing Lady Gerd accomplished here was killing a gnome illusionist - almost certainly her noblest feat to date.

Spoiler: a swift death is more mercy than his kind deserve
    Show

Naturally, she turned down Aerie’s offer of lifelong devotion. Girl’s obviously got issues. Gerd has a strict no-baggage policy.

Alas, poor Aerie. Twice the woobie that Imoen is, and with none of our dear half-sister's spunk or depth of character.

18. - Top - End - #48

Death No. 2 goes to the vampire found battling the Shadow Thieves as you leave Waukeen’s Promenade at night. Note to self: do NOT mess with the vampires yet.

Spoiler: this doesn't end well
    Show

Leaving Waukeen’s Promenade and heading over to the Athkatla Slums, Lady Gerd was accosted by a suspiciously helpful gentleman, whose organization promises to grant Gerd access to Wizard Prison - for a price.

Spoiler: this gentleman does not represent the Lollipop Guild
    Show

I guess it’s time to start raising some cash!

In her wanderings around the city, our heroine ran into some very unlucky slavers. They were disposed righteous ease, and from their delicious life-essence Lady Gerd attained Level 9. The new point went into Short Sword, which conveniently coincided with some pretty sweet loot.

Spoiler: the future promises much swording
    Show

Reckon she oughta check out this Copper Coronet, what with the broad hints and all.

19. - Top - End - #49

The Copper Coronet was full to bursting with needy weirdos.

Spoiler: clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right
    Show

What would these people do with their lives if Lady Gerd, Candlekeep Cavalier, Hero of the Sword Coast, were not here to assist them? Surely they would all perish ingloriously, and none would mourn them. How fortunate that she has blessed this benighted land of Amn with her magnanimous strength.

As her first demonstration of that magnanimity, she hunted a man down, and murdered him and his pets.

Spoiler: her vendetta against all things ursine continues
    Show

Granted, he was working for a slaver ring that was locking people up and forcing them to fight monsters to the death for the public’s entertainment. Can’t be having with that sort of thing. So Gerd busted up the prison in the back, sacked (eviscerated) the old management, and put the nice Mr. Hendak in charge. Looks like there’s more work to do.

Spoiler: I prefer the term "prisoners with jobs" actually
    Show

Looks like we'll be mucking through the sewers! Because it wouldn’t be a fantasy epic if our heroes didn’t spend at least a little time trudging through fecal slurry.

Before heading into said sewers, Lady Gerd took advantage of the proffered hospitality of the Copper Coronet. Her dreams were decidedly unpleasant.

Spoiler: the man of her dreams
    Show

How many people does a gal have to kill to get a good night’s sleep around here?
    Last edited by Lector87; 2017-11-29 at 09:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure the answer is all of them, but that's not a particularly Paladin-esque response.

21. - Top - End - #51

Sewers Under the Slums - Cleared!

Spoiler: Absurdly Spacious Sewer
    Show

Moving into the sewers, Lady Gerd did heroic battle with jellies, otyugh, myconids, hobgoblins, carrion crawlers, kobolds, goblins, and the most fiendish set of riddles ever inscribed on sanitary piping. As a reward for her efforts, she received Lilarcor, the most talkative two-handed sword in Faerun! WHAT A DEAL!

Spoiler: sold it to some Quixano guy
    Show

Lady Gerd thanked the sweet righteous heavens that she doesn't use two-handed swords, and hocked the blabbering blade at the first opportunity.

22. - Top - End - #52

The Slaver Boat - Cleared!

Spoiler: butt-kicking for goodness!
    Show

With the slave children rescued and Hendak in charge of the Copper Coronet, it's time for our heroine to get herself a bag of holding. Next stop, the Graveyard.

But first, let's pick up this sweet little number from Bernard:

Spoiler: +3 Long Sword of FABULOUS
    Show

(in case anybody is wondering about the character portrait - a lot of this progress is being made on my laptop, and I just haven't gotten around to putting the picture on the hard drive)
    Last edited by Lector87; 2017-12-01 at 07:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

For Hexxat's Request, Lady Gerd set her dialogue script to Maximum Snark.

Spoiler: Lady Gerd used A Sense of Humor! It's not very effective...
    Show

Gee, you'd think her companion was some kind of witless, mind-controlled zombie. Not even a whisper of a giggle. Gerd's gags usually KILL in the club. You know, all the clubs she frequents. With the cool kids. Drinking adult beverages, in responsible amounts.

Yep.

Dragomir the Red was a tough nut to crack - but Lady Gerd is one tough nutcracker.

Spoiler: more like Dragomir the DEAD...I'll see myself out
    Show

Next up - Father, the Sleeper has awakened!
    Last edited by Lector87; 2017-12-01 at 09:59 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Dragomir's Tomb - Cleared!

Spoiler: Lady Gerd, Tomb Raider
    Show

Turns out "the Sleeper" is, in fact, the real Hexxat - who is also a murderous vampire!

Spoiler: vot a tveest!
    Show

Now, normally Lady Gerd would smite the vile undead without a second's hesitation. But Hexxat entrusted her with Dragomir's Respite, which was both a big favor and a sign of great faith. So her abominable, blasphemous existence will be tolerated, at least for now...

Spoiler: gotta have somewhere to stash my stuff to hock for dosh
    Show

Last edited by Lector87; 2017-12-03 at 01:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Death No. 3

Bodhi's crew again. Lady Gerd is a slow learner.

Spoiler: where's the Scooby Gang when you need them
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Aren't Cavaliers the ones with the Supercharged Holier-than-thou powers?
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2017-12-03 at 02:11 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Aren't Cavaliers the ones with the Supercharged Holier-than-thou powers?
    +3 to hit and +3 damage against all demonic and draconic creatures - nothing that gives a special edge against high-level undead, though I've noticed her Turn Undead is more effective against the minions than it used to be.

28. - Top - End - #58

Finding the city air decidedly unhealthy, Lady Gerd decided it was time to head upcountry, and undertake the deliverance of the de'Arnise keep.

Spoiler: trolls and umber hulks and yuan-ti oh my!
    Show

The outer grounds, level 1 of the keep, and the courtyard were cleared out pretty quickly. Greater Yuan-ti are a pain.

Spoiler: no she didn't make the dog stew
    Show

Last edited by Lector87; 2017-12-03 at 03:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, right, it's the Inquisitor with the double strength Turn Undead I believe.

30. - Top - End - #60

Ah, right, it's the Inquisitor with the double strength Turn Undead I believe.
    Inquisitor is a double-strength Dispel Magic. The Undead Hunter is immune to hold and level drain (but can't Lay on Hands).
    The Cranky Gamer