New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    I actually liked Weiss's outfit for Volume 6, with the red scarf and all. It's a neat visual detail that characters incorporate their one of their partners' colors into their own color scheme, (Weiss having Ruby's red, Jaune having Pyrrha's yellow and so on.) It's just a shame that it was kind of inconsistent.
    I'm not sure I see it. Weiss had red in her Volume 1 outfit. Other than Juane perhaps adapting Pyrrha's color, which makes sense as he has also incorporated her weapon into his, I'm not sure anyone else is intentionally color co-ordinating, consciously, unconsciously, or by will of the character designers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I'm not sure I see it. Weiss had red in her Volume 1 outfit. Other than Juane perhaps adapting Pyrrha's color, which makes sense as he has also incorporated her weapon into his, I'm not sure anyone else is intentionally color co-ordinating, consciously, unconsciously, or by will of the character designers.
    Like I said, it's inconsistent. Yang has some purple in her color scheme like Blake, Blake has some gold in her color scheme like Yang, Nora has some green like Ren, Ren has some pink like Nora.

I'll admit that it might not have been on purpose on the part of the character designers, and could just as easily be just a weird detail that I noticed.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Bugbear in the Playground

I actually liked Weiss's outfit for Volume 6, with the red scarf and all. It's a neat visual detail that characters incorporate their one of their partners' colors into their own color scheme, (Weiss having Ruby's red, Jaune having Pyrrha's yellow and so on.) It's just a shame that it was kind of inconsistent.
    Only one of the images shows it, buy Weiss does have red in the lining of her new skirt. Plus she's wearing rubies in her ears and hair now, replacing the sapphires from her previous outfit. For Yang and Blake it's built into their eyes. Blake notably has no other gold on her, though Yang keeps the same splash of purple.

I like the royal blue on Weiss, and the whole outfit looks more grown up and in control. Hopefully she'll be allowed to win a fight this season.

I find it interesting that Blake isn't really holding her sword. It's in the picture, but the pose is almost as if she was holding something else and it got switched out. She would never throw Gambol Shroud with the blade folded out like that. Maybe she'll get an upgraded weapon as well. A hard-light blade would be cool.
    Last edited by Excession; 2019-07-23 at 11:28 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

New outfits huh? I get the idea that they should be wearing more protective clothing, at least when they expect to go into battle but what I really wanted was some winter outfits since they are going to a glacier where I wouldn't be surprised if the authorities likely will give them a... cold reception.

The lack of previously was perhaps forgivable in that they expected to get to their destination by way of a comfy train ride followed by a quick and easy flight along with their luggage instead of... well everything that happened instead.

Ruby's seems a minor evolution of her last. Fingerless gloves instead of bracers. Some sheer material covering the previously bare patches of skin around the thighs and upper chest. Tighter sleeves, maybe a a thicker material. Higher boots. A new pleated skirt cut on one side with some shorts underneath. In terms of cold protection it's an improvement but doesn't go far enough I would think. If you are going to fight in a skirt the shorts are probably a good idea and gives her a more tomboy lean to the design. Overall the evolution of her main outfit seems to suggest a trend. It started really innocent or modest and childlike. Later designs maintain consistency but have less innocent elements added. Which for a girl her age isn't unusual and suggests she's either grown more confident in time or that she's perhaps without even noticing herself trying to be more attractive. Though talking about how a young girl is blossoming into womanhood makes me feel like a creep so let's move on.

Weiss. Another might be another minor evolution of her last outfit but the posing makes it hard to tell exactly what's going on. The jacket is replaced with something that looks like a dark blue mantle shoulder cloak and black gloves. I can't tell if the gloves are part of a jacket or not. There's a new dark blue waist wrap with belts. Her skirt is different, probably longer and with different length layers. There is a layer with a red inner layer. She lost the leggings she occasionally wore and her shoes and now has some boots with frilly knees. Overall I think I like this one a bit more than the last but my favorite remains to be her original, the red inside to her jacket and boots just made the outfit really pop, so the return of some element of that to the new design is nice though I still miss the lacy trim. I don't know about the dark blue. I don't hate it it might grow on me. Previously the only blue this dark in her outfits were the sapphires she wore so that's probably where it evolved from. What really stood out to me was the new black gloves which instantly reminded me of her older sister's even if hers were shorter. If I had to guess this outfit is meant to symbolize her growing out from under her father's control. Perhaps some influence from Winter but just overall being more who she wants to be.

Blake's outfit is a departure from the previous which itself was a departure from the original. She hasn't replaced her discarded bow and has a new shorter haircut. She has what might be a black catsuit but it might also just be a regular top and pants. A longer jacket with a darker purple inner layer. She has a larger belt worn asymmetrically. Also zippers. lots of zippers by the looks of it. This is probably my favorite of Blake's main outfits. That's a low bar, I never liked the original and the one previous to this was a bit too ordinary. But this one I really like. Given that she's a wanted criminal the fact her look keeps radically changing makes sense to me and the haircut is probably a good idea for that reason. I really like the darker shade of purple. It pops. I'm sensing a pattern to my tastes. I also like the asymmetry of the belt. Outfits just look better with a touch of asymmetry. It's also the sleekest of her outfits which her being a cat ninja seems fitting. What does this outfit say about her or mean? I'm less clear but out of all of them it looks the most like it's meant to be warmer than what she wore previous.

Yang's outfit is a minor evolution. Her jacket's a different color and it looks like she's wearing another layer under it, covering her midriff as well. Instead she added a zipper to her pants so she can show some leg for some reason. There's allot a tan to her outfit. Otherwise it looks pretty similar to the last, perhaps a bit less cowgirl due to the color changes. Overall it's a pretty boring redesign but consistent. I think I liked the previous better. The thigh zipper for transforming the pants to shorts looks a bit silly to me. The more I look at it she's wearing the same shapes of clothing I'd expect from her but the color changes are kinda jarring. Yang's outfits seem to follow an opposite pattern to Ruby's. Growing more modest over time which might suggest it's own form of maturity. At the very least it also looks like it's warmer for the environment. Aside from that thigh zipper.

Of course I don't know how these new looks will look animated.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    At the very beginning, at least, this was absolutely true. The four original trailers may have some pretty poor animation, but they remain impressive looking due to striking visuals. The trailers are made with an intentionally limited color palette of red, white, black, and yellow. Not only is the entire world made with these colors, but the characters use multiples of them, as well. This serves to connect Team RWBY to the world and each other as well as elevating them to a status of clear importance within the narrative. It's a shame this abstraction started disappearing almost immediately once the show, proper, started and was almost wholly gone by Volume 2. If they had stuck with it, they could have made a show with a truly unique art direction instead of being a completely average looking anime.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm glad you like it. I'll try to get back next long weekend I have, I'm just so tired and busy with my own ****.

Weiss's outfits continue to be bad, and they should have worked some blue into her outfit from the outset so it'd be less drastic (since she's ice themed, so she should have some blue, and to serve as a contrast with Ruby who is black-red to her white-blue). I do appreciate that Miss Silk Dresses For Fighting decided to at least put some armour on where she was last near fatally stabbed... even if it is just a series of Nomura-Belts.

Oh no! No wonder I haven't seen you. I hope you can get it fixed soon... you still need to read my novel and also hang out because we're friends and stuff.
    I hope so, last I remember you were close to some of my favorite episodes of RWBY. I'm interested in your take on them.

And psh, Weiss' outfits are awesome. And she's had blue in her design since volume four, its just a muted shade of it. Its the sudden addition of such a vivid color in such quantities that I dislike. Its like being smacked in the face with it. That said, I'm unconvinced armor would make any difference in Remnant. Not when we've seen not exceptionally strong Grimm pulling metal robots apart by hand and damaging stone/cement/metal buildings. Unless you have Aura strengthening it (Jaune's shield) or your aura up period I wouldn't trust taking a hit from anything but small Grimm and in that case...why bother with armor at all?

...I mean, the real reason is to be more cosplay friendly, which is something they've factored into all their costume desgins, but I meant from an in-universe perspective.

And yeah, there is no 'fixing' my laptop. It was mostly submerged in water for I don't even know how long thanks to flooding. XD We do need to hang though and I do need to read that novel, right now I'm trying to catch up with the recent chapters of MHA.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    Only one of the images shows it, buy Weiss does have red in the lining of her new skirt. Plus she's wearing rubies in her ears and hair now, replacing the sapphires from her previous outfit. For Yang and Blake it's built into their eyes. Blake notably has no other gold on her, though Yang keeps the same splash of purple.
    So far the biggest exception to that... rule? Has been Ruby herself, since she didn't start wearing white until Volume 4, which was also when Weiss stopped wearing red. At least they were both wearing each other's colors in Volume 6.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    New outfits huh?
    Yyyup. The name of the game does seem to be "More zippers! More Belts!" Which was a side to the costume design that I never really liked, so I'm a little put out that the character designers decided to dial it up to 11 for this season. I've always though that extra belts and zippers made characters look too visually busy. (Though if you want me to be candid, 15-year-old me would have liked them.) If most of the audience likes it though, more power to them I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    Yang's outfit is a minor evolution. Her jacket's a different color and it looks like she's wearing another layer under it, covering her midriff as well. Instead she added a zipper to her pants so she can show some leg for some reason. There's allot a tan to her outfit. Otherwise it looks pretty similar to the last, perhaps a bit less cowgirl due to the color changes. Overall it's a pretty boring redesign but consistent. I think I liked the previous better. The thigh zipper for transforming the pants to shorts looks a bit silly to me. The more I look at it she's wearing the same shapes of clothing I'd expect from her but the color changes are kinda jarring. Yang's outfits seem to follow an opposite pattern to Ruby's. Growing more modest over time which might suggest it's own form of maturity. At the very least it also looks like it's warmer for the environment. Aside from that thigh zipper.
    She has my favorite out of the redesigned outfits, at least I think it's improved over her last one. (Did anyone else think that the collar on her previous jacket looked a little like a neck brace?) This time Yang seems to be wearing... coveralls? And a bomber jacket with a sherpa collar? I like it! That seems weirdly practical for this show's standards. Granted, the details with belts and zippers are weird and real coveralls usually aren't that flattering, but hey, this is RWBY. "Sensible" is a sliding scale.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2019-07-24 at 12:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Colossus in the Playground

Truthfully I'm just glad Ruby covered up that god awful boob window.

Girl you're 16-17 and a fragile speedster archetype. I realize armour is seemingly made of useless rice paper in this universe but come on, get some protection.

I want to clarify that it's not that I dislike the "no armour, focus on good character designs that people can easily cosplay" idea. That's pretty cool, and something I think I want to do with my series as well (though in my case every outfit I've designed for a character is just... regular ass clothing you can buy so that makes it pretty easy). The problem being the "actually making it look good" bit, and making a reason for it in universe. Even something as simple as leather armour should at least be considered in this universe.

Incidently my explanation for why people don't wear breastplates and **** is "who the hell makes fullplate armour in this day and age anyway?" and make a note about how, oh hey this stuff is made of strong leather and thus more durable or this person is wearing a flak jacket underneath their shirt, and so on and so forth.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-24 at 12:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ettin in the Playground

Truthfully I'm just glad Ruby covered up that god awful boob window.

Girl you're 16-17 and a fragile speedster archetype. I realize armour is seemingly made of useless rice paper in this universe but come on, get some protection.

I want to clarify that it's not that I dislike the "no armour, focus on good character designs that people can easily cosplay" idea. That's pretty cool, and something I think I want to do with my series as well (though in my case every outfit I've designed for a character is just... regular ass clothing you can buy so that makes it pretty easy). The problem being the "actually making it look good" bit, and making a reason for it in universe. Even something as simple as leather armour should at least be considered in this universe.

Incidently my explanation for why people don't wear breastplates and **** is "who the hell makes fullplate armour in this day and age anyway?" and make a note about how, oh hey this stuff is made of strong leather and thus more durable or this person is wearing a flak jacket underneath their shirt, and so on and so forth.
    To be honest, it was only on my like...2nd or 3rd rewatch of some volume 4 chapters that I even noticed that window existed at all. And at that point my question legitimately became '..is that just flat out a cutout for your chest in its entirety? Cause there's no sign of a neckline in sight. Who sells a sweater/shirt like that? ...why did Ruby BUY it...?' Then again, RWBY taught me more about fashion than just about anything else so maybe there's a name for that type of top.

As for the rest, Aura is a good explanation for why armor isn't necessary so it becomes wearing what's comfortable/what the character wants to wear. Obviously tastes differ in that regard though. XD What I want is an explanation for why some characters in RWBY DO wear armor! Is it a case that they just like the look? Do they have a weak Aura so its a better idea to reinforce a bit of armor then to rely on just the armor? Habit? It could be a fun bit of world building to answer that question.

Edit: Ruby should be 17 at this point with WBY being 18 according to time and such.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2019-07-24 at 04:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1360

Canonically Ruby, despite all appearances, is capable of sewing, and makes her own outfits.

And yeah they could like, do some world building with it. They just haven't. Best answer I can think of is the whole nonsense of "you have to actually turn your aura-shield on" thing.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ettin in the Playground

Canonically Ruby, despite all appearances, is capable of sewing, and makes her own outfits.
    Another manga factoid? Or was that in RWBY Chino? ...cause I've read and watched neither of those.

And yeah they could like, do some world building with it. They just haven't. Best answer I can think of is the whole nonsense of "you have to actually turn your aura-shield on" thing.
    Even then, I can't see armor being any protection against the kind of hits we see Grim and Huntsmen/Huntresses dishing out on the regular. It'd really only serve as protection against someone already trying to not kill you in the first place. Maybe if like...regular bandits/thugs catch you by surprise? Even then, firearms render such armor largely irrelevant anyway which is what those sorts would likely by using in such an ambush.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

12. - Top - End - #1362

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Another manga factoid? Or was that in RWBY Chino? ...cause I've read and watched neither of those.

Even then, I can't see armor being any protection against the kind of hits we see Grim and Huntsmen/Huntresses dishing out on the regular. It'd really only serve as protection against someone already trying to not kill you in the first place. Maybe if like...regular bandits/thugs catch you by surprise? Even then, firearms render such armor largely irrelevant anyway which is what those sorts would likely by using in such an ambush.
    I mentioned it a few pages ago. The official RWBY novel "After The Fall" came out. It's poorly written and not very good in general but it has Ruby mention she makes her own outfits.

The problem is that in this universe, with super schizo tech levels, armour should also be as good and powerful as the giant scythe rifle.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Titan in the Playground

The problem is that in this universe, with super schizo tech levels, armour should also be as good and powerful as the giant scythe rifle.
    Well technically, the best kind of super armor wouldn't be any different from clothing, as having it clearly be armor would give away that your being protected and thus make people try to aim around it, while clothing-armor would give you more flexibility and mobility while also hiding the fact that its armor. Sure if your being realistic this super cool armor would be no different from a catsuit/spandex so that this super-tough fabric covers the whole body for protection, but thats just a different kind of fanservice when you think about it...no different from the fanservice that female superheroes routinely get but still.

or you can ignore that and have super clothing armor that resembles the current outfits and just ignore the exposed parts, I guess.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Ettin in the Playground

I mentioned it a few pages ago. The official RWBY novel "After The Fall" came out. It's poorly written and not very good in general but it has Ruby mention she makes her own outfits.

Huh...for some reason that seems out of character but also in character for Ruby at the same time. Weird.

Atlas has been strides in that regard. The Paladin mech-suits definitely seem like they could tangle with Grim and other weaponry plus they have a few other advancements in defensive technology seen in Volume Six that isn't quite handheld but there's still a problem. Armor isn't as good as our weaponry today let alone in schizo-tech/futuristic/etc. land.

And we've seen Grimm put down the most recent advances in technology without a lot of trouble. Its very likely the trend became 'the best defense is to kill it before it kills you' a long time ago and holds true today when a Lancer, not a large Grimm, can pierce the steel plating on an airship with its stinger and just a handful of them have the wingpower to completely immobilize one. Sure the Grimm are changing and evolving too but not THAT much. So when a simple ritual seems to be all it takes to unlock Aura and not super intensive training into using it properly proves to be effective, it makes sense to me that developing armor that would be utterly useless except against other people anyway isn't a huge priority.

Edit: I hate typing on my phone, please excuse typos.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2019-07-24 at 08:24 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1365

Huh...for some reason that seems out of character but also in character for Ruby at the same time. Weird.

Atlas has been strides in that regard. The Paladin mech-suits definitely seem like they could tangle with Grim and other weaponry plus they have a few other advancements in defensive technology seen in Volume Six that isn't quite handheld but there's still a problem. Armor isn't as good as our weaponry today let alone in schizo-tech/futuristic/etc. land.

And we've seen Grimm put down the most recent advances in technology without a lot of trouble. Its very likely the trend became 'the best defense is to kill it before it kills you' a long time ago and holds true today when a Lancer, not a large Grimm, can pierce the steel plating on an airship with its stinger and just a handful of them have the wingpower to completely immobilize one. Sure the Grimm are changing and evolving too but not THAT much. So when a simple ritual seems to be all it takes to unlock Aura and not super intensive training into using it properly proves to be effective, it makes sense to me that developing armor that would be utterly useless except against other people anyway isn't a huge priority.

Edit: I hate typing on my phone, please excuse typos.
    I had the exact same thought. It's in character because there is no place where you could just buy the stuff Ruby wears. But it's out of character because I don't believe for a second she has the capacity to sew an outfit.

The paladins are a mixed bag of "this seems okay" and "this was literally shattered into pieces by children".

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Titan in the Playground

I'm fine with blue in Weiss's outfit. Gives off the theme of blue ice.

Also, in a world where someone's life force is their own armor in a fantasy world, wanting more protection in armor doesn't seem to me would accomplish much other then weighing them down. Given the amount of force that is required for certain objects to break and are broken all the time in this world, a suit of armor made of steel, or even stronger then steel, would probably not last long. Plus you know if they did where armor, the writers would figure out how to have it shatter off their body in the opening blow of a fight without an explanation.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ettin in the Playground

I had the exact same thought. It's in character because there is no place where you could just buy the stuff Ruby wears. But it's out of character because I don't believe for a second she has the capacity to sew an outfit.

The paladins are a mixed bag of "this seems okay" and "this was literally shattered into pieces by children".
    Actually I can buy that she could sew an outfit. That I can buy pretty well...what I don't buy is her sewing the outfits she actually wears. They just seem like they specifically would be beyond her.

The Paladin I don't mind so much considering an unfinished version was shattered by an attack boosted by a Semblance that allows the user to return the force of an attack right back at the attacker. Or destroyed by an imitation of Atlas' greatest technological innovation. Or a sword longer than it is tall. Cause aside from acceptable situations like that, they take an unreal amount of punishment and keep on ticking. Case in point, in the Volume 2 finale, we see the White Fang Paladins get knocked around but none of them are shown getting destroyed...just knocked off the train to get by them.

18. - Top - End - #1368

The RWBY Manga made the food fight slightly less bad by not dwelling on it as much... but also made the items used worse, I think. You can see the major page of it here.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Ettin in the Playground

The RWBY Manga made the food fight slightly less bad by not dwelling on it as much... but also made the items used worse, I think. You can see the major page of it here.
    What the hell animal did Ruby's steak-scythe come from and why is Beacon serving it out of the cafeteria?!

20. - Top - End - #1370

What the hell animal did Ruby's steak-scythe come from and why is Beacon serving it out of the cafeteria?!
    The existence of Mega Rib-eye Steak infuriates me to no end, but I want to make special note of Pyrrha's sliced pizza on a plate shield, which would be literally impossible in every single way you could possibly think about it.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy... How much do these kids eat? And I thought the original it was weird in that the cafeteria evidently serves marlin. Not fillets or anything, that would be silly. The whole fish.

The existence of Mega Rib-eye Steak infuriates me to no end, but I want to make special note of Pyrrha's sliced pizza on a plate shield, which would be literally impossible in every single way you could possibly think about it.
    I'm going to go with Aura. She's using her Aura to... hold her pizza together.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe the pizza dough has been fortified with vitamins and minerals and has a high iron content, allowing Pyrrha to magnet the pizza together?

23. - Top - End - #1373

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Maybe the pizza dough has been fortified with vitamins and minerals and has a high iron content, allowing Pyrrha to magnet the pizza together?
    This is categorically worse than the "it's just aura" explanation since it makes me want to die reading it.

No shade on you this is a hilarious response but I'm just sitting here thinking "... they'd do it, the bastards. They'd actually do this."

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Troll in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: RWBY IX: Fractured Fairy Tales

The food fight his bad...in the most awesome way ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean yeah, its being done for a gag and a joke plus its a cute homage to the Flintstone's opening for me but it raises so many questions.

...like the pizza plate shield now that I'm looking at it.

Holy... How much do these kids eat? And I thought the original it was weird in that the cafeteria evidently serves marlin. Not fillets or anything, that would be silly. The whole fish.
    Right?! That's not coming from a Grimm or anything because it couldn't. What animal around Vale provided that meat bludgeon?!

I mean the swordfish was a bit silly for a pun but I could see the school staffed with marlin considering its located on the sea and all.

26. - Top - End - #1376

They're teenagers, for one, which means that they have dispositionally high caloric needs due to their bodies being in a vital time of growth.

They're also extremely physically active on a regular basis.

And their superpowers, which they use, on a regular basis, are fueled by their life energy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the typical huntsman had a ridiculously high calory requirement.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Ogre in the Playground

This is categorically worse than the "it's just aura" explanation since it makes me want to die reading it.

No shade on you this is a hilarious response but I'm just sitting here thinking "... they'd do it, the bastards. They'd actually do this."
    By the way, I think Celestia had a better interpretation than mine. I'm totally changing my answer to hers-- fortified pizza crust! Rich in iron! What did the cafeteria use to fortify it? Metal shavings, of course.

Right?! That's not coming from a Grimm or anything because it couldn't. What animal around Vale provided that meat bludgeon?!

I mean the swordfish was a bit silly for a pun but I could see the school staffed with marlin considering its located on the sea and all.
    Going off the fact that it's a Flintstones shoutout, Ruby's steak-club must have came from a dinosaur.

As the the marlin... yeah, I can agree that the cafeteria might plausibly get marlin, it's just that fillets, cutlets or steaks would probably be much tastier than... just a whole big fish, just flopped onto the table there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    They're teenagers, for one, which means that they have dispositionally high caloric needs due to their bodies being in a vital time of growth.

They're also extremely physically active on a regular basis.

And their superpowers, which they use, on a regular basis, are fueled by their life energy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the typical huntsman had a ridiculously high calory requirement.
    Yeah, I can see that. That's probably even canonically true, what with the massive bowls of noodles they ate at the Vytal Festival. Though Ruby's steak bludgeon looks like it's got more meat on it than she has on her bones.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2019-07-25 at 08:04 PM. Reason: I broke the quote. Like a chump.

28. - Top - End - #1378

As the the marlin... yeah, I can agree that the cafeteria might plausibly get marlin, it's just that fillets, cutlets or steaks would probably be much tastier than... just a whole big fish, just flopped onto the table there.

Yeah, I can see that. That's probably even canonically true, what with the massive bowls of noodles they ate at the Vytal Festival. Though Ruby's steak bludgeon looks like it's got more meat on it than she has on her bones.
    I mean, RWBY is as much of a Comedy as it is a Fantastic Adventure(at least in the first couple of volumes.)

A degree of comic exaggeration is clearly in play. The same way nobody bats an eye at Ruby eating an entire plate of cookies by herself as apparently a regular meal.

(though it's possible that the giant steak is meant to be eaten by more than one person.)

As for the whole marlin...

Well, Blake makes it clear on several occasions that she has a rather... feline palet. It's explicitly pointed out that she eats a lot of fish and her custom order at the giant noodle bowl stand was full of whole fish that didn't even seem to be descaled.

If we assume that Blake is typical of Fauni diets, a lot of Faunus may have strong tastes for the kind fo food that the animal they have traits of favors.

I seriously doubt that Blake and Velvet are the only Funus at Vale, and that's not counting the foreign students. Counting the students who transferred for the Festival, Blake isn't even the only house cat Faunus that we know for sure is there.

There's probably enough Fauni based on piscivores--cats, bears, snakes, predatory fish-- in a typical student population at beacon to justify having whole fish out. I wouldn't be surprised if there werren't cuts of venison and/or extra rare cuts of beef for fauna based on more conventional carnivores and maybe raw leafy greens for Herbivorus fauni.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ettin in the Playground

Going off the fact that it's a Flintstones shoutout, Ruby's steak-club must have came from a dinosaur.

If that came from a dinosaur than I demand to see a Triceratops fighting a T-rex Grimm, no excuses.

To quote Batista, GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!

As for the marlin, Rater's explanation makes sense but it could also be considering the massive chain of sausage links Black uses that the marlin simply hadn't been prepared yet.

Though Ruby's steak bludgeon looks like it's got more meat on it than she has on her bones.
    Certainly at first, but I'd argue the same amount of meat after Volume 3. As several hype promoting events hilariously focused on by accident.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I mean, RWBY is as much of a Comedy as it is a Fantastic Adventure(at least in the first couple of volumes.)

A degree of comic exaggeration is clearly in play. The same way nobody bats an eye at Ruby eating an entire plate of cookies by herself as apparently a regular meal.

(though it's possible that the giant steak is meant to be eaten by more than one person.)

As for the whole marlin...

Well, Blake makes it clear on several occasions that she has a rather... feline palet. It's explicitly pointed out that she eats a lot of fish and her custom order at the giant noodle bowl stand was full of whole fish that didn't even seem to be descaled.

If we assume that Blake is typical of Fauni diets, a lot of Faunus may have strong tastes for the kind fo food that the animal they have traits of favors.

I seriously doubt that Blake and Velvet are the only Funus at Vale, and that's not counting the foreign students. Counting the students who transferred for the Festival, Blake isn't even the only house cat Faunus that we know for sure is there.

There's probably enough Fauni based on piscivores--cats, bears, snakes, predatory fish-- in a typical student population at beacon to justify having whole fish out. I wouldn't be surprised if there werren't cuts of venison and/or extra rare cuts of beef for fauna based on more conventional carnivores and maybe raw leafy greens for Herbivorus fauni.
    Plus, we know that Ozpin, for all his faults isn't a racist. Even if Beacon doesn't have that many faunus, I bet it would still take extra effort to accommodate them.

... fish that didn't even seem to be descaled.
    Well, Aura protects the body from physical harm, so perhaps people in this world can use Aura to protect their teeth, allowing them to bite through things that people normally couldn't. Maybe even regular people eat whole fish or munch on bones.