Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: IC: Sentinels of Houshen [D&D 5E] Thread: II

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock
    HP 39/39 | AC: 15 | Spell Attack: +8 | Spell Save DC: 16
    | Conc: --

Jiafa sipped languidly at the sorry excuse for liquid the tavern called Baiju, a shiver running down his spine as he did so. Some would question the value of consuming such putrid liquor, but to Jiafa, it made sense, in a rather twisted way - with good liquor, all you had was the taste, the aroma of that drink. With bad liquor, you had to summon all the memories of every good cup you'd ever had just to block the taste out - and that was a lot of cups of good liquor.

Blinking, he turned to Guiren as he asked about the plan.

"The plan, such as it is, is this. When the fight gets underway and everyone is distracted by the mortal combat, we shall sneak to the edge of the crowd and try to find a way down to wherever the fighters prep beforehand. When Feng Yun returns from her bout, exhausted and tuckered out, we'll jump her, taking her completely by surprise. Hopefully, with some luck, I will be able to beguile her with magic before she can turn on us, and then command her to spill all she knows."
    Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Qiu Feng

Feng listened to Caide attentively, while resting his chin on a closed fist. "Ah...I see. Insightful words, if I do say so myself." he commented at the end, nodding in agreement.

Well, enough about that, there was indeed a plan to concieve.

"Hmm. I don't think the owners here would take kindly to losing one of their best moneymakers, so...well, we'll have to follow her after the match."

That, or he could try to take the place of her opponent...but, even though he wouldn't have disliked measuring himself against someone so skilled, he had no intention of entering that kind of ring again - the idea was discarded as soon as it occurred to him.

"You have other ideas?"
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Caide thinks. There were other ways to get the job done, but most of them seemed reckless, or unlikely for them to get paid. The more he thought about it, that meant that there really weren't that many ways to get the job done. He taps one rounded claw against the wooden table while he thinks, but then stops when his mind stops processing. "Nothin' worth trying." He looks at the now empty drink in his hand, and looks out to the crowd. He jerks his head towards the seats arranged around the fighting ring and speaks softly. "Let's find out where fighting-folk go when they done fighting then. Follow her there, then WHAM!" He gives a harmless, but firm punch to his companions arm, hoping anyone listening might just think he's joking with the Liwairen next to him. "You gets her, and I helps. From couple steps back. Away from the punching."
    Last edited by WhismurWanders; 2018-03-16 at 06:08 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

There is a ruckus in the crowd, as one of the Petjar finally defeated the other. The loser's snout is pouring out blood like a fountain and is most certainly broken.

The Barkeep scrambles up on top of the bar and calls out, "PLACE YOUR BETS! PLACE YOUR BETS! SHIN THE UNBROKEN vs. LEI THE DANCING FEATHER! Two to one odds in favor of SHIN!"

The crowd of Laoshu and Conkhi that had been gathered around the cut out rush over to the bar to place their bets.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2018-03-17 at 06:32 PM.
    DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #185

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

May as well take the opportunity to make a little extra Cash while we wait for Yun.

Jiafa wormed his way through the crowed, putting up 5 sections.

Don't want to put up too much money at a time.

"5 sections on Shin."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Xingxing
    Level 6 Circle of Moon Druid | HP: 53/53 | AC: 16 | PP: 18 | Wild Shape 2/2 | Spell Slots - 1st: 4/4 - 2nd: 3/3 - 3rd: 2/3

Xingxing listens quietly on as Jiafa explains the plan. He nods along staring at his drink, debating on if he should take a sip. In his past something like this would easily quench his thirst but he's already decided to turn his back on that part of his life. Still appearances are appearances...

He thought of his true abilities.. Being able to transform into beasts and how that could help... Maybe another time though.. He isn't ready yet to unleash that.
    Games I DM
    War of the Heavens: IC OOC - Map

Games I Play In
    The Godkiller's Will: IC OOC DOC - Raistlin - Master of Lore

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Qiu Feng

"Alright." Feng agreed, nodding, just before the barkeep announced the beginning of the first real fight.

"Well then. I suppose it's time to go to the VIP seats." he then said, making a face as he was about to swallow a particularly bitter medicine, and glanced around for a way to the basement.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2018-03-18 at 01:13 PM.

Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

8. - Top - End - #188

Guiren Yinghon Feijing Baotsu
    Level 6 Barbarian| HP: 80/80 | AC: 16 | Rage: 4/4
    Blinking, Jiafa turns to Guiren as he asks about the plan.

The plan, such as it is, is this. When the fight gets underway and everyone is distracted by the mortal combat, we shall sneak to the edge of the crowd and try to find a way down to wherever the fighters prep beforehand. When Feng Yun returns from her bout, exhausted and tuckered out, we'll jump her, taking her completely by surprise. Hopefully, with some luck, I will be able to beguile her with magic before she can turn on us, and then command her to spill all she knows.

That sounds... risky, Jiafa. If we do find this area, someone will need to stand guard and make sure no one spots us. But Feng Yun is lethal. If your spell doesn't work, she could kill you. What if we follow her out after the fight?

9. - Top - End - #189

RedWizardGuy

Xingxing
    Level 6 Circle of Moon Druid | HP: 53/53 | AC: 16 | PP: 18 | Wild Shape 2/2 | Spell Slots - 1st: 4/4 - 2nd: 3/3 - 3rd: 2/3

Guiren is quick to give his criticism of Jiafa's plan, "That sounds... risky, Jiafa. If we do find this area, someone will need to stand guard and make sure no one spots us. But Feng Yun is lethal. If your spell doesn't work, she could kill you. What if we follow her out after the fight?"

Guiren is barely able to finish the sentence before Xingxing begins talking over him in excitement, "I can do it!" he says a bit louder than a whisper but then corrects himself, "Sorry... I can do it... This place is dirty enough as is, no one would look twice at a small rodent scuttling around on the floor... I can transform into one and follow her to her home or wherever she stays. Then we can meet up and strike while she sleeps..." Xingxing was normally the selfish type but in this new road to redemption he wants to prove his worth to the team and is willing to try anything.
    Games I DM

Games I Play In

10. - Top - End - #190

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

Jiafa listened to Guiren and Xingxing's criticisms, and frowned as he realized they were right. But Xingxing's own suggestion gave him an idea.

"That is actually a rather good idea, Xingxing. It'll be less risky if we do this where there aren't witnesses. Plus, it gave me an idea of my own. When I was speaking to the bartender earlier, he informed me that Yun will be staying afterward - apparently she likes to take on challengers. I will stay, see if I can chat her up. If I succeed, and her attention is on me as we walk out, you all should be able to follow with less chance of being noticed."

11. - Top - End - #191

I can do it! Xingxing says a bit louder than a whisper, but then he corrects himself, Sorry... I can do it... This place is dirty enough as is, no one would look twice at a small rodent scuttling around on the floor... I can transform into one and follow her to her home or wherever she stays. Then we can meet up and strike while she sleeps...

That is actually a rather good idea, Xingxing.

Guiren scoffs and throws his hands in the air as Xingxing is given credit for the idea. But his meager protest appears to go unnoticed by either. He crosses his arms across his chest and listens as Jiafa goes on.

It'll be less risky if we do this where there aren't witnesses. Plus, it gave me an idea of my own. When I was speaking to the bartender earlier, he informed me that Yun will be staying afterward - apparently she likes to take on challengers. I will stay, see if I can chat her up. If I succeed, and her attention is on me as we walk out, you all should be able to follow with less chance of being noticed.

Aye, that sounds safer. Barely. Just... keep your wits about you, or you might lose more than that.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

The two parties of adventurers head down to the basement to watch the fight and wait for Yun. The current fight is between two dexterous looking combatants, a Mutouren (Wood Genasi) named Shin and a Wusiren (Aasimar) named Lei. The ring is a thirty foot circle, enclosed with rope. The two combatants size one another up. Lei is first to strike, coming at his enemy with a fierce kick. The attack is deflected. Shin retorts with a punch that cannons into the Wusiren's nose. The aasimar's skull can be audibly heard to crack under the force of the blow. Even after sustaining such a grievous blow, Lei hangs in there. His movements are dulled and his blows softened by his injury. He manages to land a few kicks and chops but nothing crippling or devastating. Meanwhile, Shin goes all out with a savage flurry of round house kicks, nailing Lei in the head five times. After several minutes, the referee calls the bout over, fearing Lei will be injured beyond repair. The crowd goes wild as SHIN THE UNBROKEN wins!

Several more fighters take to the ring but none of the fights are as brutal as the first.

At the end of the night, Yun is introduced. She is over seven feet tall. Her frame is almost offensively muscled. She has muscles on top of muscles, on top of muscles. She strides into the ring with the confidence and bravado befitting a peerless warrior. A deep scowl is entrenched on her face. She is clearly angry and ready to maul the first person she fights.

The Petjar wrestler from earlier in the night hops into the ring. He bends low, stretching his legs and his arms. He clearly believes he has a chance.

Yun betrays no emotion.

The referee calls out to start the fight. Mere heartbeats later, the woman rockets forward grabs the badger man's arm and slams her elbow into it. A scary SNAP can be heard as the man's arm bones break. The petjar stumbles backward, his arm flopping like jelly. Before he can react, Yun kicks the poor man in the stomach, swings him up like a child and power bombs him into the ring. Several more bones can be heard cracking as he slams into the ground. Not missing a beat, the woman warrior smashes her foot down on the Petjar's broken arm, again and again and again. The badger man squeals in anguish as he helplessly tries to squirm away.

The referee stands on the side, not calling the fight (like he had done in the previous fights).

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Giving everyone a chance to react, if you want to.

Spoiler: J, X, Q and G
    Show
    The entrance to the "locker room" is in the back of the basement,
    on the opposite side of the stone tower. It is guarded by two Fire Genasi who are half distracted by the fights.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2018-03-20 at 04:10 PM.
    DMing:

13. - Top - End - #193

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

Jiafa betrayed no emotion as he looked upon the scene, but inwardly he could not help but feel scorn for Yun.

It seems that they were not exaggerating regarding her bloodthirstiness. Such a waste. He has already been disabled; if you are going to kill him, do so cleanly. Bloodlust leads to a clouded mind, and that to sloppiness. Of course, it's not like they're really giving you an incentive to stop.

He huffed.

I shall have to be careful if we continue with the plan to have me approach her.

14. - Top - End - #194

Guiren nudges Jiafa when the snap of the petjar's arm can be heard clearly, driving the point home that she is as dangerous as he tried to explain earlier. But the brutality continues. Yun is relentless. But though the fight looked to be over soon, she continues to beat on the petjar's broken limb. The referee stands by, not calling the fight. Guiren hisses, Is the man blind?! He huffs and then calls out, Stop the fight already!!

He strides over, as much as a petjar can stride, and gets face to face with the referee, gesticulating towards the two warriors, What are you waiting for? He's clearly beat. Stop the fight!! She's gone mad!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Qiu Feng

Feng bited down on his lips, conflicted. After having endured by focusing on the technical, so to say, part of Yun's moves and trying to determine of difficult of an opponent she could be, he now desired nothing more than to stand up and shout to end the match, but he couldn't risk being booted out of the establishment if he wanted this to be Yun's last fight - and the petjar wasn't a hapless victim, but a willing participant.

It appeared he wasn't the only one not enjoying the show, though, because just then a man - another petjar, though it was likely coincidence - raised from the crowd and gave voice to his thoughts. He couldn't very well stay silent after that.

"Indeed!" he shouts, standing up and approaching the referee himself. "The fight is over, this is just torture! Stop this nonsense at once!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Insight (1d20+6)[10] to try to determine how powerful Yun is relative to Feng.

And Persuasion (1d20+1)[9] to...well, persuade the referee.

EDIT: I love you too, dice.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2018-03-21 at 11:07 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196

RedWizardGuy

XingxingLevel 6 Circle of Moon Druid | HP: 53/53 | AC: 16 | PP: 18 | Wild Shape 2/2 | Spell Slots - 1st: 4/4 - 2nd: 3/3 - 3rd: 2/3

Xingxing was moments away from speaking up. That is until his petjar companion Guiren yelled out to the ref, followed by another face this one unfamiliar to the small Conkhi. He closes his mouth and waits for the ref to respond. "No need for all of us to be ousted...."
    Games I DM

Games I Play In

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

The Houren (Fire Genasi) referee shrugs at Guiren. "Step back, kid. Nothing's wrong with this fight. They both knew what they were signing up for." The man turns back to the fight, morbidly enjoying the savagery.

Feng walks up and also demands a stoppage to the battle. The Referee shakes his head, barely pulling his gaze away from the fight. He replies, "Nope. No can do. I'm not paid to make this a kiddie fight."

Yun snatches the petjar's head, whirls him around in a circle, then flings him across the ring. He comes skidding to a stop about a foot from where Guiren and Feng stand.

Spoiler: Feng
    Show
    You get the impression that Yun is much more powerful than you
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2018-03-22 at 09:49 AM.
    DMing:

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Qiu Feng
    Level 6 Monk | HP: 39/39 | AC: 17 | Ki: 6/6

Feng clicked his tongue, disgusted by the notion that not to inflict pointless suffering would turn it into a kiddie fight, but, indeed, the referee was doing what he was paid to. Talk does not cook rice - if he wanted to complain, he should have tried to stop the fight himself. Too late for that, though, as the moment he thought that the petjar was thrown just a few feet from him.

"This is far from the way of the warrior." he remarked, giving Yun a look filled with loathing, before approaching the petjar to check if he was still alive: if he ended up as broken as Bo, he would at least offer a mercy kill.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2018-03-22 at 01:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199

The Houren referee shrugs at Guiren. Step back, kid. Nothing's wrong with this fight. They both knew what they were signing up for. The man turns back to the fight, morbidly enjoying the savagery.

Guiren scoffs and points to petjar in the ring, He didn't sign up for torture! You called the last fight once it was over!

Feng walks up and also demands a stoppage to the battle. The Referee shakes his head, barely pulling his gaze away from the fight. He replies, Nope. No can do. I'm not paid to make this a kiddie fight.

Guiren regards the dark-skinned man with red eyes and gives a curt nod before turning his gaze back to the referee, What do they pay you for then?

In the ring, Yun snatches the petjar's head, whirls him around in a circle, then flings him across the ring. He comes skidding to a stop about a foot from where Guiren and Feng stand.

Guiren squats down and speaks to the petjar, <Col> Brother, she will kill you. Crawl out of the ring. The fight is over. </Col>

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Caide

Caide looks away from the spectacle in the ring. He remembered seeing Bo in his bed, barely capable of moving, being tended to by his grandfather. It was a fate he wouldn't wish on anyone, or anyone's family. As Feng moved to speak to the referee, the Laoshu shrinks slightly into the crowd. He spies a few guards standing around and tries to read their faces, their body language. Things around him were escalating, but the last thing he wanted was people motivated by cash to get in the way of bringing Yun to justice and getting paid. Then again, some might look the other way in the face of someone who was fated to reap what they sow. Or not want to be mistaken for an enemy by someone who seemed to take no pleasure or pain from brutalizing her opponents.

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight; (1d20)[19]

Attempting to determine if the guards are getting as antsy as we are.

21. - Top - End - #201

Qianal Ai
    Paladin (Oath of the Crown) 5 / Barbarian 1 | HP 46/46 | AC: 20 | Concentration: ---

Qianal watches the fight with scorn, shocked at the brutality of the scene. He walks up to Guiren, and leans down to whisper in his ear. "Don't try to break it up. Remember, we have a small army at our command. They may not be the best fighters, but... bashing down the down to a tavern with several dozen goutou ren would be rather intimidating."
    Currently Playing:
    Qianal Ai the Dragonborn Paladin/Barbarian in Sentinels of Houshen

Doderic Took the Halfling Kensei in Falling Stars

22. - Top - End - #202

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

Jiafa watched as Qianal went up and tried to persuade Guiren to back off, nodding approvingly, but did not join in himself.

If things go south, pretending that I'm not with them will allow me to get the drop on anyone who attacks them. No-one suspects a bystander.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

The judge scoffs dismissively at everyone, "Go upstairs and drink your crybaby self into a stupor. If you do not leave me alone, I will call the guards over!"

The wee little petjar wrestler spots Guiren. He smiles weakly and pulls himself over, inch by inch. At this point, the crowd starts chanting YUN! YUN! YUN! The brutal martial artist throws up her hands, begging the crowd to chant faster and louder. The woman laps up the crowd's adulation, even going so far as to turn her back on the petjar.

Spotting some potential trouble with some spectators, one guard starts to move over to the ring...

The weak little wrestler stretches his arm out towards Guiren, desperately holding his hand out. He meekly whispers, "Help me..."

Spoiler: WhismurWanders
    Show
    Guards are far more worried about you guys interrupting the fight than any thing going on in the ring.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2018-03-26 at 12:54 AM.
    DMing:

24. - Top - End - #204

Go upstairs and drink your crybaby self into a stupor. If you do not leave me alone, I will call the guards over!

Guiren mostly ignores the judge but for a low growl that escapes his lips. He gestures for the petjar to crawl over, and then hears Qianal's voice in his ear, Don't try to break it up. Remember, we have a small army at our command. They may not be the best fighters, but... bashing down the door to a tavern with several dozen goutou ren would be rather intimidating. He frowns and looks up at the longyi, noticing that some of the guards seem agitated and one is making his way over. Guiren sucks his teeth. In the ring, Yun gets the crowd more excited, while the weak little wrestler stretches his arm out towards Guiren, desperately holding his hand out. He meekly whispers, Help me...

Guiren looks back down at the petjar, If I pull you out it will be bad for both of us. You have to get yourself out. Only a bit more. Come on, he says, gesturing to the wrestler to keep moving.

25. - Top - End - #205

RedWizardGuy

Xingxing

Xingxing watches as the others attempt to break up the fight, to no avail. Finally his is broken out of his trance of inaction as he watches the bleeding petjar reach for Guiren for help. I can't wait this.... focusing on the petjar Xing whispers a few druidic words he learned when he was younger. He sends out this positive energy in an attempt to secretly heal the petjar just enough to give him the strength to move...

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Xingxing will whisper the Verbal component of Healing Word:
    Bonus Action - Healing Word: (1d4+3)[4] hit points regained cast on the wounded Petjar

Last edited by Relkin; 2018-03-26 at 09:09 AM.
    Games I DM

Games I Play In

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Qiu Feng
    Level 6 Monk | HP: 39/39 | AC: 17 | Ki: 6/6

The petjar was still able to move, it seemed, so that was good. He suppressed the impulse to step inside the ring and haul the wrestler out - there was a guard approaching, and Yun herself who, as much as it pained him to admit, appeared to be out of his league (and that posed a whole lot of other problems given he was supposed to apprehend her): he wasn't going to risk his life for someone who, ultimately, willingly put himself in such a situation.

Thus, he remained unmoving, watching the petjar slowly crawling towards the edge of the ring, with the ominous feeling that Yun was only feigning distraction - that she would wait until the very last moment, when her opponent thought he managed to escape, to drag him back inside the ring and break him for good, in body and spirit. It wouldn't be his first time witnessing something similar.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2018-03-27 at 05:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207

Hei Jiafa
    Level 6 Warlock

Jiafa watched as Xing-Xing reached out to heal the petjar.

On second thought, perhaps it would behoove me to get a little closer.

He began to carefully make his way toward the commotion, careful not to get more than 10 feet away.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

As if buoyed by an unseen force, the petjar crawls his way over to the edge of the ring. Just as he is to climb out, Yun stomps over, grabs the man's feet and flings him across the ring. She looks down at Guiren and brazenly proclaims, "You will have your turn, little badger. Let me wreck your friend a little more." The woman then clamps her hands around the petjar's ankle. Staring right at Guiren she says, "This was for interfering!" With a fluid motion, she twists her hands in opposite directions, snapping the wrestler's leg! He screams in pain.

The referee is more than a little perturbed by this brazen act of butchery. He jumps up, as if to intervene. One cold, hard stare from the woman makes him think twice.
    DMing:

29. - Top - End - #209

Coward!! Guiren shouts as Yun snaps the petjar's leg. He points at her, Keep dragging the fight on so you don't have to face me outside the ring weakling!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Yun stands up and locks her gaze on Guiren. With the side of her foot she kicks the wrestler out of the ring. He lands on the ground with a thud. The woman moves her body into a cat stance. She motions for Guiren to enter the ring.

The crowd goes wild, hooting and hollering. Upstairs, you can hear the barkeep asking people to place their bets - the Mysterious Petjar vs. Yun the Brutal!
    DMing: