New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dancing Fox Inn XIII- Luck Costs Extra

Oh, yeah, I'm not reading into specifics too closely or anything. Just basic stuff. Nigel reassures him, setting his glass back down. Probably best not to order another drink. It was getting late. If I have to do anything more complicated I'll call someone in, I'm sure Reinholdt or Felandria could point me to someone who knows about curses.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #842
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's just afternoon Nigil. ;-P

"In worst case you can call me. I have seome experience with this stuff." C4 replies he grabs under his coat giving him a business card.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

3. - Top - End - #843

Oh, seriously? Thanks. Nigel says, taking the card. I guess that magic resistance would be helpful, huh? Avoid the worst of the curses. He glances at the card before tucking it away.

Don't judge Nigel he is living his best life.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #844

Catgirl Physician Tactics

"So what you're saying is, there are three good-aligned organizations devoted to fighting evil and protecting the innocent who are looking for any excuse to exact justice upon you thanks to previous transgressions," Caelynn points out, folding her arms. "I'm skeptical that they're entirely as eager to pounce on you as you describe - I mean, they haven't exactly showed up on our doorstep to give you letters of warning, right? - but if we've got to take care of Feia, it seems really dang foolish to give anyone an excuse to unknowingly interfere with that." They can't exactly save the world if a pissed-off VIGIL keeps throwing them into cells whenever they get caught jaywalking or anything, after all.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

5. - Top - End - #845

Catgirl Physician Tactics

"The first thing Ithuriel did when I returned to the Nexus was warn me against any funny business in Inside, and all her little pranks and meddling have been extensions of that...but I see your point. If I'm going to be doing any wild and crazy crime stuff, it should be after the world is saved," Magtok sighs, begrudgingly accepting that maybe there's a time and a place to go on a wild and reckless crime spree. Any resources going towards such criminality might be important to foiling the doomsday scenario, and if the Nexus falls to ruin because he wasted his good mecha on some dumb bank attack in Riverside, he's going to look like an even bigger screw-up than Nigel. Yeah, you heard me, I said Nigel, who's over there day-drinking while we do our absolute best to pretend we can't see him.

"Fine. What if..." Magtok flops back in his seat, looking stumped. A wild and crazy escapade that's also more heroic and daring than robbing a bank, that's...that's really specific. How many people does he know of who are in need of some kind of bold and exciting vigilante attack? "Okay, now this is going to sound really bad at first, but what if I pretend to sell you to some slavers in Skyside?" Wow, you were right, Magtok. That does sound really bad. In fact, it sounds even worse than your bank robbing idea, and lemme tell you, that idea was bad. "I go right into the slave store, like the ignorant idiot that I am instead of arranging some backstreet deal like I assume you're supposed to, and just before the hand-off, the telewarp beacon I'm carrying flares to life. My daughter Kathy and her entire mecha just materializes in the store, and she starts beating the snot out of everybody. You do some fancy jump-kick as I shoot some guy in the face. I pass you your own weapons, which of course we smuggled in for this operation, and we just open all of the cages and disable all the slave collars and-" Hold on, even assuming this doesn't backfire spectacularly, where are you going to keep all of those slaves, Magtok? They don't all have homes to go back to, and even the ones who do have homes aren't going to be able to find their way back and get their lives together again instantaneously. You could probably ask GLoG to resettle some of them, but GIRLS (I assume that's the specific slave store you're talking about) is a pretty massive portion of the Nexus slave trade, so that's going to be a lot of people. You'd definitely have to make some room back in the MagCave. Then there's the medical expenses because I'm sure a lot of them aren't being treated properly, and the eventual counterattack that Kathy was talking about...

"Hrm. I'm already seeing some problems with the logistics on this idea." That's not to say he's discarded it just yet, like he did with the bank robbery idea. He's just identifying a few issues, is all. Admitting this particular plan needs some fine-tuning, and looking to Caelynn to see if she thinks it's still worth it, or if they should try something else entirely. He can't really use her as bait if she doesn't agree to it, after all. Not without a lot of rope and the element of surprise, anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

6. - Top - End - #846
    Orc in the Playground

Somebody seems to have left a pair of gloves here. They're green cloth, with yellow bands around the knuckles of each finger. They're currently sat rather prominently on a table, but... Nobody's sat at that table for at least two hours, and they weren't there five minutes ago, were they? Hmm. Maybe somebody just didn't notice them before, since they're in a pool of sunlight caused by the sun moving in the sky. Maybe they were in shadow, rather than just waiting for nobody to be looking at the table before appearing.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

7. - Top - End - #847
    Troll in the Playground

The half-devil Sekhmet, bundled tightly up against the cold, enters the bar and seeing that her favorite booth is empty, sits down. She comes here frequently, when she can afford it. She has some very good memories tied to this place.

Hold on a second.
    Somebody left their gloves here.

Sekhmet looks around. There doesn't seem to be anyone looking for them, nor does anyone seem irritated by her sitting at their table. They seem like they might be warm. Curious, she picks them up and turns them over in her hands, then tries them on.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #848

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Oh, seriously? Thanks. Nigel says, taking the card. I guess that magic resistance would be helpful, huh? Avoid the worst of the curses. He glances at the card before tucking it away.

Don't judge Nigel he is living his best life.
    The card is a bit colorfull and shows a firework in the background. The letters are still good visible and the back appears to be another scene of firework.

"Dpending on what it is, yes." he replies. He leans back and sips on his drin for now.
    Last edited by Zefir; 2019-12-02 at 12:57 PM.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

9. - Top - End - #849
    Orc in the Playground

Result: 18

The gloves slip on quite easily, and they fit pretty well. They're warm, too, just as Sekhmet thought they were. She does start to float, however, as though her weight has been effectively nullified purely by putting the gloves on.

This might make things awkward, since she's no longer sitting down, but Sekhmet does happen to have wings...

10. - Top - End - #850
    Troll in the Playground

The gloves are nice and warm. Sekhmet is still testing them out when she realizes she's drifting a foot above her seat and still rising. "Woah." She reaches down to the table with her tail to pull herself back to her seat. Instead, her tail strikes the table surface, pushing her higher into the air.
    This is awkward, although it would be fun to try in a less public environment.
    Sekhmet isn't about to use her wings because she doesn't know her to fly yet. She'd rather not go crashing about the tavern.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #851
    Orc in the Playground

This might be quite awkward for getting down, though Sekhmet could try taking the gloves off. She might be a bit high up for that, though. And using her wings when she's weightless might be good practice for when she isn't.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

This is a predicament. Sekhmet strains to reach down to some solid object, but everything is beyond her grasp now. She considers taking the gloves off, but there's no guarantee that will work, and besides, she's now turned head downwards high enough off the ground for a fall to be dangerous. Might as well try something else. She spreads her wings, and with a flap, ends up careening across the room. She doesn't have much control. She'll probably crash into something or someone.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #853
    Orc in the Playground

Sekhmet might bump into the table at which sits a male gnome, not very old; about twenty. He's got black hair, green eyes and he wears a pair of denim dungarees and a black tunic. He's got quite a big nose, for his face; an attractive feature in gnomes. Slung over the back of a nearby chair is a heavy black woollen greatcoat.

If she does, he'll stand on his chair and reach out to try steadying her. "Careful, miss. You nearly had me over." He smiles as he does, holding on if necessary and allowed.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Troll in the Playground

"Sorry sir. Thank you." Sekhmet grabs the gnome's arm and uses him to turn herself the right way up. She's closer to the ground too, so she tries pulling off the gloves. Hopefully, gravity resumes at this point.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #855
    Orc in the Playground

"Oh, it's fine, miss. Would you like some company? My name is Arteitheo Shorling Tumi." He waves a waitress over and orders a replacement beer.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet lands on the floor a little less than gracefully and takes a seat across from Arteitheo. "For a little bit, I guess. I'm Sekhmet." She probably won't hang around long. She has an urge to call Prumathe and show him the gloves she found.
    Last edited by bc56; 2019-12-02 at 08:49 PM.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #857
    Orc in the Playground

"How are you finding things, around here? People can cruel, or accepting and it's hard to tell who is going to be what, I find. Not everyone is willing to help a gnome get things from the highest shelves, for example." An interesting question, though Arteitheo seems to be quite accepting of Sekhmet so far.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

"It's not what I expected. Some people have tried to kill me on sight, but many others have been very kind." Sekhmet isn't sure what to make of the question. There's something odd about it, but she's not sure what. "What, uh, about you?"

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #859
    Orc in the Playground

"My father told me- my sister too, but I've not seen her for... Three years? No, it's more than that. Anyway, he told me that humans and other big folk were all a little crazy, because they had small noses which were high in the air. They couldn't get enough oxygen so they were always a little brain-damaged as a result. When a monster came and killed them, I ran for help. That help rescued my sister, but arrested me because they disagreed with my faith. Eventually, I got out and found a new church. I'm glad you've found friendly people, but the church I've joined will also accept you." He misses his sister, and doesn't know what she's up to. He's also being a little deceitful; he joined a new church, but it's affiliated with the same faith that got him arrested.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Troll in the Playground

"What, uh, church is that?" Sekhmet isn't really interested. She believes in something else already. She's just curious. Especially because faiths that are accepting to devils are few and far between.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #861
    Orc in the Playground

"The Church of the Raised Fist, in Riverside. They've got a few affiliated chapels and smaller temples in Outside, too, but the one in Riverside's the biggest in the Nexus. Here, got a card. You're more than welcome to come and find us, we'll accept anyone." On the front, is an address in Riverside's Northside, and on the back is an image of a black gauntlet clenched into a fist and squeezing green rays of light from between its fingers.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Troll in the Playground

Sekhmet takes the card. That's an awfully threatening looking icon. "What do you do?" She asks, hoping to learn a bit more about what she's been invited to, and whether or not she should actually come, "Why invite me?"

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #863
    Orc in the Playground

"Me? Oh, I'm a teacher's assistant and messenger, mostly. Keeping the various churches in contact, helping with ceremonies and occasionally teaching children how to read and write. As to why invite you, because the Church will accept you and help you, if you ever need it. We help everyone, building a web of loyalty and discipline to ensure peace and a steady hierarchy." That doesn't sound too bad, though there's different ideas of 'peace' for different people.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Troll in the Playground

"That sounds okay, but I'm not really sure." Sekhmet thinks the words are intentionally obfuscating. She doesn't think that discipline, loyalty, and a strong hierarchy will lead to peace, at least not the sort of peace she wants.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #865
    Orc in the Playground

It probably isn't a very nice kind of peace, no.

"That's totally fine, Sekhmet. I hope you come and visit, but I can't make you." He hopes she does pop in, though. Even if she doesn't stay.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Troll in the Playground

"Thanks. I, uh, probably should be going now." Sekhmet stands up to leave. Maybe she'll check this out later, but for now, she has other ideas. "If I stop by, I'll look for you." She heads out the door back towards home. She wants to try more things with these gloves.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #867
    Firbolg in the Playground

Someone shows up at the door to the inn and hesitantly steps inside.
    Someone new*.

A very short, thin woman with a pair of antlers poking out through her disheveled gold hair. She's wearing a too-large leather jacket that goes down past her knees and completely swallows up her hands in its sleeves. and a pair of mud-stained socks. A stiff breeze could probably knock her over.
    She surveys the room nervously. It is nice and warm in here, but maybe it would be safer to just go somewhere else?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #868
    Orc in the Playground

There's other people in the taverna, if she wants company. A dark-skinned lady with green eyes and short black hair, wearing a pair of navy trousers and a matching waistcoat over a white shirt, with a black cravat tied about his neck and a navy bowler hat on her head. There's a satchel on the floor by their feet, and there is a large glowing green sphere in front of her, made of glass or quartz.

A halfling sat on a tall stool wearing plain steel plate, though gauntlets and burgonet helmet rest on the table next to their flagon of dark ale and plate of mutton and roast vegetables. Sleeping under his table is a tapir, though its saddle has been removed and placed on another seat. The knight has black hair tied into a short braid and large reddish-brown eyes, and quite pale skin.

A large troll, appearing roughly carved from a block of dark brown jasper, sat on the floor and drinking from a flagon emitting sulphuric fumes.

A slender and fragile-looking 'centaur' with a gazelle's lithe body and long legs, a slender humanoid torso rising from it with slender arms ending in three-fingered hands and a pointed head, with black markings and straight ridged horns, wearing a simple cloth wrap about its torso and eating salad.

An ugly man with grey skin, a bald head, bulbous muddy green eyes and a wide mouth. His build is awkward, long lanky limbs paired with a paunch, and his skin is marked with warty lumps and bumps. He wears a pinstripe suit and a fedora, with an unusual automatic revolver holstered at his waist. He's talking hopefully with a rather disinterested-looking half-elf wearing a leather tunic, green tights and leather moccasins, all decorated with bright feathers and glass beads; she has dark skin and straight red hair, but seems unarmed.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Firbolg in the Playground

The girl with antlers doesn't want company so much as information.
    Which people have! But she'd have to talk to them.
    It's probably worth the risk.

She orders a glass of water, in a squeaky voice, and then surveys the people.
    The bartender seems busy.
    That little guy in armor seems a bit scary. Not as scary as the troll, though. And that frog-looking fellow has a gun? Plus he's busy too.
    So it's either the centaur-gazelle or the woman with the glowing crystal ball.
    Actually, better make it the gazelle. Who knows what that glowing thing could be?
    Wait. She might know. Her face seems to shift a bit, or blur, like a video that stopped loading, or a infiltrating robot whose disguise briefly failed. Then she looks at the green sphere with her magical-aura-identifying-vision. And since she's already looking that way she approaches the green eyed customer.
    "Hi, uh, do you mind if I sit here? And do you mind telling me where 'here' is?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #870
    Orc in the Playground

The green-eyed woman is affected by quite a bit of magic, if she's caught in the glance to identify her sphere. Her waistcoat has runes on the inside to ward off missiles and her hat possesses an enchantment to ward off external magical influence. Also, she's got several layers of other, rather potent magic; at the bottom, a curse, quite a complex one; over it, an affect that suppresses part- but not all- of the curse. The orb itself gathers magical energies from the area around it and stores it. Currently, it's full; in fact, it's overflowing- that's what is creating the glow.

"No, I do not mind. I am waiting for somebody, however. A paranoid dealer in magical antiquities. This is the Dancing Fox Inn, a peaceful pub in the Nexus, a world which borders many other worlds. Many of the inhabitants claim it border every world, but I am not convinced. As the worlds it doesn't border can't be reached from here, it is very hard to confirm that theory either way. My name is Benedict Beaulieu, I am an occultist and collector of unusual relics and artefacts." Benedict smiles, and offers a hand to shake.