New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Of Freemasons, Flat Earth and Steampunk

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    you know this threat turned in to good Bollywood scenario were we have steam punk rockets, bunch of crackpot theorists who tries to solve how evolution happened. while couple of smart men try to explain every thing. we just need hero and couple of dancers to complete the set. you know i probably pay to see scientists perform belly dance in lab just for laugh as we are derailed the threat quite a bit.
    I think I might actually try to write a short-ish story based on this premise. I just need an agent of Big Government to act as the villain, to find a punny name for my pair of exasperated scientists, and a dashing hero.

I already know the ending, the rocket crashes into the firmament and releases the Horrors from Beyond Space and Time. Big government collapses but manages to hold off the HfBSaT for long enough for something to patch the firmament

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    IIRC, scientists celebrated the discovery of the nucleus by making a musical about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Here: Let NOTGLaDOS* sing to you about the Electromagnetic Spectrum.

* NASA's Official Talking General Leisure and Diversion Operational Server. NOTSIRI (NASA's Only Telephonic Speaking Interface Regulating Internet) also makes an appearance.
    Remember, that scientists are incredibly geeky, and will take whatever chance they can to make a joke.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I think I might actually try to write a short-ish story based on this premise. I just need an agent of Big Government to act as the villain, to find a punny name for my pair of exasperated scientists, and a dashing hero.

I already know the ending, the rocket crashes into the firmament and releases the Horrors from Beyond Space and Time. Big government collapses but manages to hold off the HfBSaT for long enough for something to patch the firmament
    me and my big mouth but happy to read the short story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Well, looks like the launch failed . He got in, the rocket didn't go off, he doesn't know why.

Guess a scientific education is helpful in , I don't know , rocket science after all... .

Doesn't look like he's going to try again. I'm both relieved and disappointed.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

From the article: "a feat he claims to have achieved without the help of science."
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael “Mad Mike” Hughes
    But that’s not science; that’s just a formula. There’s no difference between science and science fiction.
    And where does he suppose that formula came from?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    From the article: "a feat he claims to have achieved without the help of science." And where does he suppose that formula came from?
    Wait, are you implying we don’t simply find formula in the Wild, like fruit?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

The suspicions this was an attempt to.scam money out of flat earth people seem to be more credible now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #247
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    The suspicions this was an attempt to.scam money out of flat earth people seem to be more credible now.
    Everything that's happened is also consistent with the guy being plain incompetent, though...

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Everything that's happened is also consistent with the guy being plain incompetent, though...
    The two are not mutually exclusive.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #249

"It didn't start" is one of the best results he could have hoped for. It isn't one of the about thirty ways he could have died.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    "It didn't start" is one of the best results he could have hoped for. It isn't one of the about thirty ways he could have died.
    True. Using something steam-based to build up pressure for rocket-like behavior, you’d expect the a failure result to be ‘failed to properly contain or direct pressure, boiler ruptures, essentially blowing up’

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    True. Using something steam-based to build up pressure for rocket-like behavior, you’d expect the a failure result to be ‘failed to properly contain or direct pressure, boiler ruptures, essentially blowing up’
    each take mythbusters style episode with lot of laugh and boom to test but nope fate decides to throw bone to that idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

12. - Top - End - #252

Actually, from the article I read by some actual rocket engineers who had a look at the pictures, the likely results were "boiler explodes", "engine rips free of the hull and shoots forward, through the pilot seat", "wings fall off", "he can't possibly steer this with such tiny fins" and "he'll black out in the first minute and not be able to control it."
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #253
    Firbolg in the Playground

So this guy needed a rocket to get to 400 m height? Couldn't he just hike on a hill?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #254

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    So this guy needed a rocket to get to 400 m height? Couldn't he just hike on a hill?
    I already suggested something similar in the second post of the thread, although I suggested he drive to the top of Pike's Peak, which is considerably more than 400m.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I already suggested something similar in the second post of the thread, although I suggested he drive to the top of Pike's Peak, which is considerably more than 400m.
    Thus, the conclusion some of us have drawn that he’s probably a scammer.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Unfortunately, though this might be the last we hear of Mike, it's probably going to inspire someone else to do something equally intelligent.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, is there a reasonable way for your average Joe to achieve rocket flight?
    Let's set the bar relatively low: a budget of $100,000, a target altitude of 50m, and a better-than-even chance at survival. Is this possible? How would you do it?
    (And, yes, it must be some sort of rocket flight. Flying to that altitude doesn't count; neither does a giant slingshot or trebuchet.)
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Let's set the bar relatively low: a budget of $100,000, a target altitude of 50m, and a better-than-even chance at survival. Is this possible? How would you do it?
    (And, yes, it must be some sort of rocket flight. Flying to that altitude doesn't count; neither does a giant slingshot or trebuchet.)
    Define reasonable? I don't think anything home made could be considered reasonable even if it does get you that much lift.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

"Rocket flight" and "50 m" are practically contradictory. It's like asking if this average Joe could build himself a car with a 4-stroke engine, and capable of 2 mph. 50 m high is NOT the kind of objective you'd aim for with a rocket engine.

For that money, average Joe would do better to buy a ticket with these guys.

More generally, I'd say no, because knowledge of rocketry is not a domain average Joe is going to be familiar with, and it is not that easy to pick up. By the point the basic knowledge is no longer an objection (and this is long before money is an issue), that individual is not longer an average Joe.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Define ‘rocket flight’. To the best of my knowledge, a rocket works by sending in explosion in one direction to send you in the other. So anything that’s a conic, metal structure with a chair on it sitting on top of some industrial explosives technically qualifies. The hard part would be balancing explosive amount to launch you high enough while not liquefying you.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Define ‘rocket flight’. To the best of my knowledge, a rocket works by sending in explosion in one direction to send you in the other. So anything that’s a conic, metal structure with a chair on it sitting on top of some industrial explosives technically qualifies. The hard part would be balancing explosive amount to launch you high enough while not liquefying you.
    Also, a 50m fall wouldn't be particularly comfortable no matter how well designed your rocket is. I don't know that it would be automatically lethal, but your odds of survival go down dramatically if you don't figure out some way to take the landing softly.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Also, a 50m fall wouldn't be particularly comfortable no matter how well designed your rocket is. I don't know that it would be automatically lethal, but your odds of survival go down dramatically if you don't figure out some way to take the landing softly.
    50m is high enough that ‘bail out and parachute down using BASE gear’ is technically a possible solution to this.

23. - Top - End - #263

McGyver could fly using the pistol of a powerful water compressor pump. I wonder if it would be possible to reach 50 m with that.

The first thing that came to my mind, however, is how even unignited gas can be enough to make a tank fly, if it gets broken. So that would be interesting. I have seen it unwillingly done with butane, and I hear that liquid nitrogen has a lot of strength when expanding.

Wikipedia:

Because the liquid-to-gas expansion ratio of nitrogen is 1:694 at 20 °C, a tremendous amount of force can be generated if liquid nitrogen is rapidly vaporised in an enclosed space. In an incident on January 12, 2006 at Texas A&M University, the pressure-relief devices of a tank of liquid nitrogen were malfunctioning and later sealed. As a result of the subsequent pressure buildup, the tank failed catastrophically. The force of the explosion was sufficient to propel the tank through the ceiling immediately above it, shatter a reinforced concrete beam immediately below it, and blow the walls of the laboratory 0.1–0.2 m off their foundations.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #264

Define reasonable? I don't think anything home made could be considered reasonable even if it does get you that much lift.
    "Reasonable" is here defined to mean "probably will survive, but not definitely". Injuries are acceptable, but obviously not preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    "Rocket flight" and "50 m" are practically contradictory. It's like asking if this average Joe could build himself a car with a 4-stroke engine, and capable of 2 mph. 50 m high is NOT the kind of objective you'd aim for with a rocket engine.

For that money, average Joe would do better to buy a ticket with these guys.

More generally, I'd say no, because knowledge of rocketry is not a domain average Joe is going to be familiar with, and it is not that easy to pick up. By the point the basic knowledge is no longer an objection (and this is long before money is an issue), that individual is not longer an average Joe.

Grey Wolf
    All right, fair enough. By "average Joe", I suppose I meant more "someone without significant financial resources and help". Education is obviously required.

Let's say "rocket" means "any vertical-lift vehicle that achieves liftoff solely through onboard propellant." Your explosive chair would qualify. A gigantic fire extinguisher would qualify. A helicopter would not.

That's part of your budget. Use it any way you like.

More generally, I suppose my question was "Could this man, with the resources he had available, have achieved his goals if he had the appropriate skills?"
    Obviously setting aside the issue that anyone with the requisite skills wouldn't try it on their own.
    Last edited by Strigon; 2018-02-11 at 07:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

50m is high enough that ‘bail out and parachute down using BASE gear’ is technically a possible solution to this.
    Any solution that involves the word "technically" sets off a giant red exclamation mark above my head. Even "theoretically" is a less alarming word to hear.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

a target altitude of 50m
    Which 50m? 50 miles is halfway to space, 50 metres is barely clearing the top of a house.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Any solution that involves the word "technically" sets off a giant red exclamation mark above my head. Even "theoretically" is a less alarming word to hear.
    I say technically because, while it has been done before (people have managed to BASE jump from 30m), it would be difficult to do. So it’s not a matter of not being possible, it’s just a question of whether we could consider an average joe to be able to pull it off.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Which 50m? 50 miles is halfway to space, 50 metres is barely clearing the top of a house.
    That's a big house though, 50 metres would mean around 15 floors.

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Ah, now that's an important distinction. Metres.
    Although I am curious about where you're living that has houses 150 feet tall

30. - Top - End - #270

BlackDragon

You can buy solid rocket motors designed for hobbyist rocket projects. If you could design a light enough structure to hold a bunch of those together you might be able to get off the ground. Getting back down again is the real trick.