New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default BG: SOD and dual-classing

So, thinking about something: how useful would SOD be as a dual-class bridge? Like, play through BGEE as class 1, switch in SOD, and start BG2 as a well leveled member of your 2nd class?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: BG: SOD and dual-classing

It could work, but generally the most optimal benchmarks for dualling out are level 9 (all the HP of your first class and the XP table being very favorable; it takes the same amount of XP to hit Fighter 9->10 as it takes to take Mage 1->10.) and 13 (as Fighter, the bonus +1/2 APR). It might be a bit harder to make it there on SoD.

Technically, a level 9 ex-Fighter dualled into 10 Mage could work, because the XP cap there is 500,000 and that's the amount of XP you need to make it to 250,000 in both of these classes. However, it will likely take you a long while to hit the XP cap that way.

If you don't care for perfectly optimal dualclassing or if you're dualling out of Thief then it matters much less, of course.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2018-12-23 at 11:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    It could work, but generally the most optimal benchmarks for dualling out are level 9 (all the HP of your first class and the XP table being very favorable; it takes the same amount of XP to hit Fighter 9->10 as it takes to take Mage 1->10.) and 13 (as Fighter, the bonus +1/2 APR). It might be a bit harder to make it there on SoD.

Technically, a level 9 ex-Fighter dualled into 10 Mage could work, because the XP cap there is 500,000 and that's the amount of XP you need to make it to 250,000 in both of these classes. However, it will likely take you a long while to hit the XP cap that way.

If you don't care for perfectly optimal dualclassing or if you're dualling out of Thief then it matters much less, of course.
    The xp cap is 500,000 in Shadow of Amn?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I did that more than once in BG2 - fighter all the way through 1, then dual-class to mage in 2. (Makes Tenser's Transformation a nasty beast...!)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I did that more than once in BG2 - fighter all the way through 1, then dual-class to mage in 2. (Makes Tenser's Transformation a nasty beast...!)
    I've considered a few permutations of the good ones... the kensai-> wizard option, the berserker -> druid option (I really wish they allowed barbarian - > druid).

One of my dual-classing issues is that I'm pretty sure that Bard is the perfect protagonist class in pretty much any D&D game, ever.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    The xp cap is 500,000 in Shadow of Amn?
    Nope:

Original BG1 (no TotSC): 89000
    Full BG1 (also EE): 161000
    SoD: 500000
    Amn: 2,950,000
    ToB: 8,000,000

7. - Top - End - #7

Nope:

Original BG1 (no TotSC): 89000
    Full BG1 (also EE): 161000
    SoD: 500000
    Amn: 2,950,000
    ToB: 8,000,000
    Damn. Stoopid me, i forgot that SoD is a thing

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Damn. Stoopid me, i forgot that SoD is a thing
    In a thread about SoD, no less! That's honestly just a testament to how forgettable the experience is.

9. - Top - End - #9

Griffon

• Play through BG1 and SoD to get to level ~8.
    • Play through Irenicus' Dungeon to get to ~9.
    • Dual-class.
    • Have a decent party walk you around Athkatla disarming traps and killing bandits until you're not completely and utterly pathetic - the gladiator arena under the Copper Coronet is pretty good for this, as is the Circus tent.
    • Complete your first dungeon - Nalia's Castle for preference, even if you cheese the final fight with fireball/Cloudkill spam.

You should now be a 9/9 Dual-Class. You might even be able to skip the last step, depending on your Exp table and how quickly you level up - you can easily be a 7/8 by the end of Irenicus' dungeon, if you aren't worried about perfect optimization.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

10. - Top - End - #10

In a thread about SoD, no less! That's honestly just a testament to how forgettable the experience is.
    Actually, its because I my brain saw "So.." and thought "Shadow of.." so it just disregarded the wrong letter.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, its because I my brain saw "So.." and thought "Shadow of.." so it just disregarded the wrong letter.
    Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Damn.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Baldur's Gate: Shadows of Damn.
    BG: Swindler Offer Deals
    BG: Sword of Destiny
    BG: Secrets of Darkness

Quick google search later:
    Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

I like mine better
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Like all gamers, I was born knowing acronyms{.}
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.