New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Okay, let me pitch Dominions 5 to you

Eh. The same few people (including me) are submitting about once a day in this first game, if you're planning another game, I don't even see why you'd wait for this first one to wrap up. My impression was most people can afford the time to play multiple games at once, yeah?

edit: NOT implying I would play in said second game - having enough trouble right now with consistently submitting turns for first game =X
    Last edited by Vitruviansquid; 2018-01-12 at 11:16 PM.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I'll be honest, I like Dominions best with more diplomacy and whatnot--that's what makes it most fun for me, but I don't get enough of it, so I'd probably be in. Early age would be my vote--I don't get enough of it.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    I'll be honest, I like Dominions best with more diplomacy and whatnot--that's what makes it most fun for me, but I don't get enough of it, so I'd probably be in. Early age would be my vote--I don't get enough of it.
    I'd also be interested in joining, particularly for EA - it's EA that I mostly play, although Dom 5 reworks changed some of my preferred nations pretty dramatically and I'll need to practice them a bit.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    Eh. The same few people (including me) are submitting about once a day in this first game, if you're planning another game, I don't even see why you'd wait for this first one to wrap up. My impression was most people can afford the time to play multiple games at once, yeah?

edit: NOT implying I would play in said second game - having enough trouble right now with consistently submitting turns for first game =X
    I mean I personally can keep multiple games straight but last time I participated in 2 games that had a lot of the same participants in them running at a similar time people started carrying grudges about what was happening in one game and intentionally screwing people over in the 2nd game because of it, despite it being a terrible move for them. So it was kind of in my mind to wait about 3 weeks or so when probably at least a few people are knocked out of the current game.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2018-01-12 at 11:35 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    Eh I'm the exact opposite - I prefer coordination with people that are already on a team so it focuses on actual team strategy and coordination rather than having who gets knocked out in the early game being completely dependent upon who can convince 2-3 people to gang up on somebody else first.

If you're not on a team there's basically zero incentive to do anything that costs you something to benefit somebody else, because if you sacrifice something to make somebody else stronger you're just crippling yourself for when you have to fight them later.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2018-01-12 at 11:40 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    I mean I personally can keep multiple games straight but last time I participated in 2 games that had a lot of the same participants in them running at a similar time people started carrying grudges about what was happening in one game and intentionally screwing people over in the 2nd game because of it, despite it being a terrible move for them. So it was kind of in my mind to wait about 3 weeks or so when probably at least a few people are knocked out of the current game.
    Huh...

What kind of sicko plays a game like this and then carries grudges?

It's like playing football and then being angry that someone tackles you.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Oh sweet, I didn't see that MA Man got access to unique nature communions in Dom 5--can't wait to try that out.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a heads up, I'm moving next Saturday. It's a short-range move, so I don't think it should impact the game at all. But it's possible that I'll run into issues with internet getting transferred or something.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    Huh...

What kind of sicko plays a game like this and then carries grudges?

It's like playing football and then being angry that someone tackles you.
    How could I keep old grudges when I need room for new ones?

10. - Top - End - #310
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm almost totally new to Dominions, but I think I'd like to try joining the next multiplayer thing. I assume even my currently limited internet can handle it.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

If you can send and receive emails and pop on here every so often for diplomacy and whatnot, you're good.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Internet requirements are pretty minimal - you need to be able to send attachments, that can vary in size a bit but can generally be measured in low kb sizes.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

OK so there seems to be people somewhat interested so for getting together another game, anybody please interested reply in the affirmative to this post with which games they would be interested in playing (I'm only going to start the 1 with more interest but you can say you're interested in both), and I'll keep a tally of who wants to play each game in this post.

Game 1 - Disciple game, 2 teams, everybody is allocated to one of 2 teams, method of player allocation determined after we figure out who/how many players are in it

Confirmed so far - Olinser, The Hellbug, Knaight, houlio, Grif, deuterio12. lord_khaine

Game 2 - Campaign game of 3 games, Game 1 Early Age, Game 2 Middle Age, Game 3 Late age, with carryover - most likely Game 1 FFA Early Age, Game 2 Middle Age Disciples with the last few winners of game 1 as Pretenders and drafting other players as their Disciples, Game 3 Late Age Disciples with the last 2 players standing from game 2 and everybody else as Disciples (exact method of carryover from each game we can of course modify).
    Last edited by Olinser; 2018-01-15 at 04:16 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

The second game is too ambitious for me, but I'd love to play in the first, and if the second is chosen, well, I'd probably be in--can always use more Dominions.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Olinser - once your game is set up, I can also post the nations and players to the OP.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not particularly interested in being locked into three sequential games, but the first option sounds fun.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is there a map filter or something to get it to show province numbers? It seems like that's the standard way for folks to discuss things, but it's annoying to have to click around on random provinces until I find the right number.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a button to go to a specific province. I forget it but it is in the list if you push ?. Also you can push ? to learn a bunch of buttons.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I also don’t want to commit to three games right away, so put me up for the first one.
    Former Owner of GiTP's fanciest Bloodbowl Team: The Fancy Lads
    The League's Self-Proclaimed Perennial Favorites and Season III Champions!
    Current Owner and Manager of Rampant Professionalism

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Sign me up for the next game.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Game 1 - Disciple game, 2 teams, everybody is allocated to one of 2 teams, method of player allocation determined after we figure out who/how many players are in it
    Would join that.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Im in on both, depending on how the vote goes.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Actually, personally, I'd be most down with a no-frills free for all; I find disciple games limit pretender and nation selection somewhat.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Sorry for the double post, but for everyone in the disciples game: the nations of Pangaea and Abyssia are under attack, and our territory contains at least 7 ascension points' worth of thrones. Therefore, I can guarantee that everyone should be involved in this war, for if the best positioned faction takes them all (looking at you on the score graphs, Agartha/Caelum) this game won't last long.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2018-01-15 at 09:44 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

It's non trivial to take a throne, at least a level 2 or 3 one like the level 3 one next to Pangaea's capital (bad luck, that). Even if we won all your territory (unlikely when the vultures start to circle) it will take a bit to conquer and claim thrones.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    It's non trivial to take a throne, at least a level 2 or 3 one like the level 3 one next to Pangaea's capital (bad luck, that). Even if we won all your territory (unlikely when the vultures start to circle) it will take a bit to conquer and claim thrones.
    Did you see the other one? That's a level 3 throne defense as well--just 2 provinces away. There was only one territory on my island that didn't have mages, thrones, or heavy cav.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Btw, does anyone know a good place to download maps for Dominions 5?
    I kinda dislike the randomly generated ones myself.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Btw, does anyone know a good place to download maps for Dominions 5?
    I kinda dislike the randomly generated ones myself.
    The Steam Dominions 5 forum and the official Dominions 5 forum.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ettin in the Playground

OK so there seems to be people somewhat interested so for getting together another game, anybody please interested reply in the affirmative to this post with which games they would be interested in playing (I'm only going to start the 1 with more interest but you can say you're interested in both), and I'll keep a tally of who wants to play each game in this post.

Confirmed so far - Olinser, The Hellbug, Knaight, houlio, Grif, deuterio12. lord_khaine

Game 2 - Campaign game of 3 games, Game 1 Early Age, Game 2 Middle Age, Game 3 Late age, with carryover - most likely Game 1 FFA Early Age, Game 2 Middle Age Disciples with the last few winners of game 1 as Pretenders and drafting other players as their Disciples, Game 3 Late Age Disciples with the last 2 players standing from game 2 and everybody else as Disciples (exact method of carryover from each game we can of course modify).
    OK so it looks like we have 7 people so far for a big 1v1 Disciple game, that's a pretty good size more people can join if they want but I think 4v4 or 3v3 is right about where we want to be.

Now for actual game setup discussion - does anybody have a specific map we want to play on? We could do Peliwyr, we could go random, or we could all download a specific one if somebody has a good one they've found. Otherwise I think it's just a question of Peliwyr or random, and if random whether we should have wraparound/water/rivers/caves.

As far as victory goes we'll have to see how many Thrones we want total but given that its a 2v2 I'd think victory would be set at about 70-80% of total thrones on the map.

I suppose step 1 would either be to see if anybody has particularly strong feelings about all being on on the same team, otherwise I'll probably random 2 captains and they can draft people 1 at a time, and once teams are set we'll go back through and start drafting nations - after all it would be really hard to effectively draft nations before we even know who's on what team and who the Pretender is and what scales/magic/blesses they want.

And of course we haven't necessarily shut off registration - if more people want to play or you know people that want to play just post it here!

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Now for actual game setup discussion - does anybody have a specific map we want to play on? We could do Peliwyr, we could go random, or we could all download a specific one if somebody has a good one they've found. Otherwise I think it's just a question of Peliwyr or random, and if random whether we should have wraparound/water/rivers/caves.
    Llamaserver has quite a bit of maps archived. I only went with Peliwyr since it fitted our number of players (including one water nation condition) and everybody should already have some familiarity with it.