New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Calculating CR for a Full Caster Dracolich

So my party will be raiding a Drow temple to stop what they (and the drow) think is a ritual to bring Lolth into the world. In reality it is a Dracolich fooling the Drow into thinking He is Lolth trapped in a gem (his phylactery). So I end up picking the type of Dragon I want to be the Dracolich and give it spellcasting according to the rules in the MM but I feel like it doesn't really capture the feel of a Dracolich (something like only 5 spells 1/day). If I wanted to give it full spell casting (focusing on mostly enchantments) how would that affect the CR?
    Kill me now or kill me later. But know that when you do you will also die by my hand.

That moment when every player except one in CoS joins Strahd and doesn't realize it...

Shaman Class Homebrew 5e WIP
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...9#post22673939

Need help with writing your DnD Campaign? Check out this subreddit for help
    Spoiler: r/DnDAdventureWriter
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Calculating CR for a Full Caster Dracolich

perhaps base it on a weaker dragon, boost the health and ac, but not its damage as much to make it a stronger caster

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

That depends on the spells you give it.

4. - Top - End - #4

PaladinGuy

I was thinking of giving it the spell casting of a level 7 Bard with the following spells

Spoiler: Level 1 Spells
    Show
    Charm Person, Silent Image, Sleep

Spoiler: Level 2 Spells
    Show
    Hold Person, Invisibility, Silence, Suggestion

Spoiler: Level 3 Spells
    Show
    Hypnotic Pattern, Major Image

Spoiler: Level 4 Spells
    Show
    Confusion

Party Comp (if it matters/if you think this might be too strong) all level 8 in a High Magic/High Stat Campaign
    Dragon Sorcerer, Bear Barbarian, BM Fighter, Assassin Rogue, Lore Bard, Life Cleric
    Kill me now or kill me later. But know that when you do you will also die by my hand.

That moment when every player except one in CoS joins Strahd and doesn't realize it...

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Based on that spell selection, I don't believe the CR will change at all. You're looking for explicitly offensive or defensive spells to change the CR, like Disintegrate or Shield.

6. - Top - End - #6

PaladinGuy

Appreciate it, though I'm sure my player's won't

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Fun fact about the CR system - It's really dumb.

The only factors that increase or decrease CR are HP, AC depending on your HP, Damage, to hit bonuses/spell DCs based on your damage, and traits and abilities that somehow modify these effective values (such as a way to regularly acquire advantage on all of your attacks, or regeneration, or a lot of common damage type resistances.)

By the book, knowing Wish does not improve a monster's CR at all.

This is what you do:

Figure out what its 3 most damaging spells would be (The damage calculation is always based off of just the first 3 rounds of combat).

Calculate what their average damage is going to be, based on how many targets you expect to it (so for instance, Meteor Swarm will probably hit all 5 people in a 5-person party. That's an average of 140 damage, 5 times (so 700). Don't forget to include out-of-turn actions too, like legendary action attacks you expect it to make.

Average it across 3 rounds (so if a monster did Meteor Swarm once, then resorted to nothing but bites and claws that do an average of 40 damage per round, its damage total would be 700+40+40 all divided by 3, or 260.

Find where that puts it on the custom monster CR tables.

If you aren't changing its HP or AC, just average the Offensive CR and Defensive CR at this point. However if you're giving it something like Shield, you have to treat its effective AC as 5 higher and recalculate that too.

Now as I said, that's how CR SHOULD work, but the CR system is really dumb.

Instead I would treat any spell that incapacitates a creature as a spell dealing the same damage as an average PC of the monster's level. If it requires concentration, treat it as half damage.

So for instance, Hold Person would add half of the average PC HP to its damage output per round. This gives you a more full representation of the threat the monster presents.
    Last edited by UrielAwakened; 2017-12-07 at 09:29 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by LeonBH View Post
    Based on that spell selection, I don't believe the CR will change at all. You're looking for explicitly offensive or defensive spells to change the CR, like Disintegrate or Shield.
    Right. CR depends on using the best offensive actions (averaged over 3 rounds) and things that explicitly change AC/health/damage intake. This means that "soft" spells don't change CR. They do change the effectiveness, but that strongly depends on the rest of the encounter. Giving control spells to a solo beast makes less of a change than giving control spells to a minion-mancer whose minions can take full advantage of the crowd control.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.