New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Best subclass for max-HP build

I don’t play a lot of AL, but I do like to have character options at every tier for conventions and the like. I generally like to use AL to explore mechanical concepts that I wouldn’t want to invest in playing out in a more involved setting.

My Hobgoblin Necromancer has moved beyond starting tier... and for a replacement I want to play a character that maximizes HP... so...

Barbarian, no multiclassing; Hill Dwarf, ASIs in CON, Tough... and probably maximizing strength (meaning no room for GWM probably)

Question: what subclass of Barbarian to best make use of a big pile of HP with limited offensive investment (beyond just being a Barbarian to begin with)...

(Bear) Totem:
    +resistances make HP last longer
    +some ‘make people want to attack me’ tanking at higher levels
    -probably no offense boost

Battlerager:
    +some offensive boosts
    +punish people (barely) to work through my HP
    +highest pool of regenerating temporary HP
    +not common
    -have to wear garbage armor, can’t utilize unarmored defenses, won’t see magic versions in AL

Ancestral Guardian:
    +encourage people to attack me from early levels
    -no support for personal survivablilty theme

(Tundra) Storm Herald:
    +regenerating temporary HP pool
    +weird Control ability at high levels
    -no offense boost

Zealot:
    +offense boost from early level
    +’infinite’ HP at high levels fits theme
    -Ressurection coolness less likely with massive HP pool

Thoughts on a best option?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Best subclass for max-HP build

Do you want this to be mostly a low level character to replace your Necromancer or will this be a full 1-20 plan? Because that can change the answers you get.

With such a focus on HP I'd recommend Ancestral Guardian to really get them to work for you and your party. No point having all that HP if your enemies ignore you.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2017-12-13 at 10:04 PM.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Do you want this to be mostly a low level character to replace your Necromancer or will this be a full 1-20 plan? Because that can change the answers you get.
    Good point, 1-20 eventually; as other characters ‘graduate’ (or die) as well... but one that would have to be played up from low levels, I don’t use my GM experience point things ever

And since I play mostly at conventions, no way to predict what campaigns they will be played in
    Last edited by Naanomi; 2017-12-13 at 10:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

WARNING - This thread is about to become another Bearogue thread.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I’ve never played a barbarian, but the zealot in our group seems to have unlimited hp sometimes, so, check that out maybe?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Bear totem soaks for days.

Eagle at 14th gives you some flight ability, something the barbarian desperately needs against flying foes.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Harrysonford View Post
    I’ve never played a barbarian, but the zealot in our group seems to have unlimited hp sometimes, so, check that out maybe?
    Pretty sure that's just a standard Barbarian feature 😁

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Question: what subclass of Barbarian to best make use of a big pile of HP with limited offensive investment (beyond just being a Barbarian to begin with)...
    When you go Bear totem at level 3, you can still take any of the other totems at the higher levels, so you're not shoe-horned into just being a defender type. Bear totem is the best if you just want to get a large pool of effective HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    WARNING - This thread is about to become another Bearogue thread.
    Yes, you could go Bear Barb 3/Rogue 7/Barb X. Rage + Uncanny Dodge = 1/4 damage on one hit per turn. Resistance + Evasion = 1/4 damage on a failed Dex save. And the Barbarian has the biggest HD out of all the classes.
    Last edited by LeonBH; 2017-12-14 at 01:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

If you want purely max HP: Storm with the temp hp. This will give you the most actual HP and top it off every turn.

If you want the most effective HP, without multiclassing: Bear. Your HP value pretty much doubles because of the resistance.

with 7 rogue you lose 14 hp(average for dice) from levels, but gain uncanny dodge and evasion, combined with bear will make your HP last longer. Also reckless sneaks with a finesse weapon.

Zealot later levels as you mentioned is a lot of "HP". 14 says you can't be knocked unconcious due to loss of HP, and cant die while raging. at 15th, it says you don't end your rage EARLY unless you are knocked unconcious or choose to do so. At this point you have 5 minutes of rage. At level 20 you have Unlimited Rage. Effectively a bottomless HP pool. So unless you are knocked out by a spell then you should never die. If you do it is cheaper revival.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Khrysaes View Post
    If you want purely max HP: Storm with the temp hp. This will give you the most actual HP and top it off every turn
    Technically Battlerager has the potential for one more Temp HP, 7 an attack at level 20, but overall you are right

As for multiclassing... I’m into seeing that big “345 HP” written on the character sheet at level 20, anything deviating from that plan isn’t something I’m interested in for this endeavor

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeonBH View Post
    Yes, you could go Bear Barb 3/Rogue 7/Barb X. Rage + Uncanny Dodge = 1/4 damage on one hit per turn. Resistance + Evasion = 1/4 damage on a failed Dex save. And the Barbarian has the biggest HD out of all the classes.
    Just for my curiosity, why go Rogue after Barb 3? Wouldn't MC after the ASI/second attack at 4 and 5 be a better breakpoint?

12. - Top - End - #12

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Squinty View Post
    Just for my curiosity, why go Rogue after Barb 3? Wouldn't MC after the ASI/second attack at 4 and 5 be a better breakpoint?
    Honestly, Barb 2, 3, 4, or 5 are good options to go into Rogue

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    Honestly, Barb 2, 3, 4, or 5 are good options to go into Rogue
    Is there a guide for this?

14. - Top - End - #14

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by HermanTheWize View Post
    Is there a guide for this?
    It's such a powerful and versatile combination that it honestly doesn't really matter
    Just go with what you prefer

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Uncanny Dodge is a great addition to a Barbarian's already considerable survive-ability.

As far as which subclass I think it comes down to between Bear Totem and Zealot.

In my experience Bear Totem doesn't get much use at low levels. Most of the damage dealt by foes is B/P/S anyway so regular barbarian rage would have reduced it. At high levels weapons with elemental damage, dragon breath, spell damage all become more prevalent.

However I would still go Zealot. Zealot doesn't get more HP. It get a couple "HP doesn't matter anymore" abilities. Which means reducing it becomes a nicety rather than a necessity. That sweet Uncanny Dodge from Rogue is less tempting here than on any other Barbarian.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Zealot. Do it. Do it hard. While you're at 0 but not dead, just keep screaming "I WON'T DIE YOU FAITHLESS MAGGOTS". Do it hard.