New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default (annoying question again) Is +3 to the main attacking stat good enough to start with?

So I would like to play a Warforged wizard (theurgy tradition from UA) for thematic reasons for a cool and differnt type of character and since they don't (normally) get a boost to Intelligence to put them above the highest starting stat my dm has set for us of 16 (for a +3 modifier), is that good enough to get me to lvl. 4 where I can get another +2 INT for a +4 modifier)? I know accuracy is key, but would the -2 handicap be too much?

I'm still fairly new to 5e, hence my asking...
    Last edited by samcifer; 2017-12-14 at 09:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

BlackDragon

Default Re: (annoying question again) Is +3 to the main attacking stat good enough to start w

Short answer: yes.
    Ur-member and coffee caterer of the fan club.

I wish people would stop using phrases such as "in my humble opinion", "just my two cents", and "we're out of coffee".

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for they are out drinking coffee and, like, whatever.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: (annoying question again) Is +3 to the main attacking stat good enough to start w

A 16 is totally normal for characters to start with in their primary stat. Some will argue that a 16 is sufficient up until even level 12. Don't sweat it at all.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samcifer View Post
    So I would like to play a Warforged wizard (theurgy tradition from UA) for thematic reasons for a cool and differnt type of character and since they don't (normally) get a boost to Intelligence to put them above the highest starting stat my dm has set for us of 16 (for a +3 modifier), is that good enough to get me to lvl. 4 where I can get another +2 INT for a +4 modifier)? I know accuracy is key, but would the +2 handicap be too much?

I'm still fairly new to 5e, hence my asking...
    Very nearly all of my 5e characters start with a max stat of 16. I almost never roll for stats, preferring standard array or point buy. It has never felt like a handicap at all to me. I would definitely recommend +2 to main stat at lvl 4 since that is right where you'll start to feel it.

Edit: I recommend an ASI at lvl 4 EXCEPT on certain feat heavy builds obviously. Or fighters and rogues who get more ASIs than the rest. This is all just my personal preference though of course.
    Last edited by Elminster298; 2017-12-14 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Add info

5. - Top - End - #5

Devil

Cool. I'm planning on taking the Life Domain and taking Bless, which would boost accuracy even more, but wanted to know what the proverbial 'base' accuracy requirement was and if 16 was good enough.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The system math appear to expect a primary ability score of 16 thru high level, and 18 after. So with a 16 you're "par" until your level 8 or 12 ASI.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I think a 14 is good enough for a main attack stat at level 1. So a 16 is definitely good enough.

Heck, I have front line fighters with 14 as their main attack stat. It's perfectly viable.

8. - Top - End - #8

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by mgshamster View Post
    I think a 14 is good enough for a main attack stat at level 1. So a 16 is definitely good enough.

Heck, I have front line fighters with 14 as their main attack stat. It's perfectly viable.
    Cool. Good to know. :)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

For a caster, 16 in your casting stat from levels 1-4 is perfect. Your DC may only be a 13, but few of the monsters you face at levels 1-4 could beat that if the DM rolls 10 or lower.

At level 4 I would use your ASI to boost your casting stat to 18. You'll be set with that till around level 12, at which point you can boost your casting stat to the 20 max.

I am unsure if you are coming from 3.5 or not. If you are, then I will tell you this. Due to the bounded accuracy of 5e, small numbers can have big impacts. Even a simple +1 or +2 to AC on someone with 20ac can make a huge difference. And the same holds true to spell save DC. A 13 is huge for low level play, and 15 is excellent for everything up to level 12. Heck, for martial builds I generally advise a 16 in your attack stat. Maybe put it at 18 eventually, but it is not a big deal.

10. - Top - End - #10

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    For a caster, 16 in your casting stat from levels 1-4 is perfect. Your DC may only be a 13, but few of the monsters you face at levels 1-4 could beat that if the DM rolls 10 or lower.

At level 4 I would use your ASI to boost your casting stat to 18. You'll be set with that till around level 12, at which point you can boost your casting stat to the 20 max.

I am unsure if you are coming from 3.5 or not. If you are, then I will tell you this. Due to the bounded accuracy of 5e, small numbers can have big impacts. Even a simple +1 or +2 to AC on someone with 20ac can make a huge difference. And the same holds true to spell save DC. A 13 is huge for low level play, and 15 is excellent for everything up to level 12. Heck, for martial builds I generally advise a 16 in your attack stat. Maybe put it at 18 eventually, but it is not a big deal.
    Not from the 3rd editions. I've only played 4e and 5e

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

+3 is the highest modifier you can get at level 1 with point buy + racial bonuses. So it should be good enough.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

For 5E a 16 is fine. ACs aren't difficult and hopefully the cleric is casting Bless on you anyway when an AC is high. For spell DCs it helps to target an opponent's weak save if you can, but you'll get mileage from your spells. If there's a feat you really really want you can take it at 4th level and be fine. At 8th level is when you'll want the 18. The +1 ability score modifier will matter. 9th level and an increase in proficiency is only a level away. The +2 total increase in power is significant. If you took the 18 at 4th level going to 20 at 8th level is great, but a feat is still a fair trade. At 12th level you can decide what you need - increase prime to 20, increase a secondary ability, or a feat. At the high level you need an 18 more than you need a 16, but you don't need a 20 as much over an 18 though of course it's wonderful to have. At 16th level if there was a feat you really wanted you would have taken it already, so here is a good time to get a 20 in your prime. If your class needs two ability scores, like a Paladin, double 18s is nice too.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Flumph

14 is considered standard for 1
    16 is considered optimal

14. - Top - End - #14

I'd consider 16 to your main stat a minimum at level 1.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Galactkaktus View Post
    +3 is the highest modifier you can get at level 1 with point buy + racial bonuses. So it should be good enough.
    Agreed. If 16/17 (+3) isn't good enough with a point-buy then something is very seriously wrong.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by samcifer View Post
    So I would like to play a Warforged wizard
    In my opinion, wizards are one of the safest classes to play with low primary stats, because they have access to so many spells that don't need to roll (magic missile, shield, fog cloud, misty step, invisibility, detect magic, feather fall, haste, fly, dispel magic...) I'm DMing for one now that started with 13 Int, and then took a feat at level 4. She's doing fine.

As others have said, ability scores of 16 are as good as it gets for most people, and should be fine up to level 12 ish.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

17. - Top - End - #17

Devil

Repeated from another thread of mine:

Well my character is lv. 5 (3 Divine Soul / 2 Hexblade) and has 32 HP. Next level (DS 4), I'll get my first ASI/Feat and my stats are STR: 12, DEX: 15 (+1 from Dispater Tiefling), CN: 12, INT: 10, WIS: 10, CHA: 18 (16 + 2 from Dispater Tiefling). If I were to stick with DS for another 4 levels beyond that, I can get another ASI/Feat at character lv. 10, so I'm not sure how to go on keeping up my accuracy as well as increasing my HP. nce I get my second ASI/Feat, I was thinking my final level (3rd) of Hexblade, go Pact of the Blade and take the Improved Pact Weapon Eldritch Evocation so I can use my +2 longsword as a spellcasting focus, the go up the remaining levels as a D Soul.

So I guess maxing my main stat in this case isn't absolute necessary at lv. 6?
    Last edited by samcifer; 2017-12-15 at 07:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes! Yes! More Yes! Bundle Shipped Yes! Undoubtedly Yes! For most players 16 is their starting score, and for good reasons. Many of your dastardly opponents will average around a 14 for starting, and their is nothing wrong with not minmaxing.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

Heck a 14/15 is a fine start for your primary stats too, especially if you're using point buy and are trying to avoid any negative stats. My Paladin (level 11 now) started with a 14 STR and was fine. Bounded accuracy really reduced the importance of boosting those attack bonuses as high as you can.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I agree with ALL the others replying - BUT, there is a qualifier. If you're rolling for stats, and your best stat is 16, and one or more characters in the party have 18s or 20s in their primary attack stat, AND the DM builds encounters to challenge them, you're going to have a "bad" time. By that, I mean you'll be missing more in combat - though it is a great time for a support character (and it looks like you're going that route with the life cleric spamming Bless) to shine.

All that doesn't matter though if everyone is using the same stat array, or PB.

With Bounded Accuracy, 5E is far more balanced when everyone has similar builds. Both stats and class builds are less fun when someone has "god" stats and another is rocking 14s. If everyone is taking a dip level in something that supports them (fighter 1 for casters, cleric 1 for lore bards, etc) so that everyone's delayed a level, then level 6 becomes the new level 5 (extra attack, 3rd level spells, etc). Else, your 5th level wizard with Fireball will wreck minion encounters that make your Fighter 1/Warlock 4 fiend bladelock cry...
    Trollbait extraordinaire

21. - Top - End - #21

Devil

My DM has us use fixed stats to start with: 16, 14, 12, 12, 10, and 10 we can use any way we want and that's before racial stat bonuses.