New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default Need avalanche rules

I'm planning to have my players climb a bunch of mountains, and I'm thinking it would be cool to include an avalanche or two. However, I struggle to come up with good rules for an avalanche. I have questions such as:
    - what can they do to avoid getting dragged down?
    - what can they do if they do get dragged down?
    - what can they do if they get buried under the snow?

Which skills/saving throws would this include? I will adjust the numbers for this scenario based on context.

One important thing to note: I do NOT want this avalanche to be capable of outright killing any one of them. Even if they all get buried under the snow they will get rescued/captured by a bunch of kobolds.

My party consists of a rogue assassin, a wizard illusionist and a fighter battlemaster. They are currently level 6, but I don't know what level they will be when they go to the mountains.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Need avalanche rules

Run a timed skill challenge....

Describe the landscape. You're on the mountainside, trees to the east, a rocky outcrop to the west, sheer cliffs to the south for example

1) All the players roll a perception check.
    2) anyone who gets above a 20 hears the avalanche and gets to act first. Start a timer visibly as soon as they start talking
    3) the bard uses dimension door to save himself
    4) The rest decide to run to the trees, but double-timing it through snow is difficult. Everyone rolls a strength check
    5) they make it to the trees and try to find one to climb, roll a nature check
    6) Dexterity check for anyone who wants to climb
    7)etc...

If anyone falls behind the group can stop to help them or leave them. But anyone who hasn't reached reasonable safety by the time the timer is up takes 6d6 bludgeoning damage and is buried

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

I posted some avalanche rules a few months ago. I would be honored if you would look at them because the post may have set a record for fastest drop off front page. If I can remember how to post a link to the thread I will come back and do that, other wise search for “homebrew snow avalanche rules”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Thanks! I looked on the forums before asking this question but didn't find your post. Not sure why...

Anyway I've taken a look and posted my reply there.