New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Crimson Darkness II

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cool. Did they all seem to be walking straight forward when they went into the grass?

I don't want to free the goblins, until they all break out of the spell when they realize they're on fire. This is just a backup plan in case Snagazod looks at it. But since that doesn't seem workable, I think the plan is "make sure Snagazod doesn't look at it." (I don't need to worry, though, right? Since I'm casting it, it can't get me?)

2. - Top - End - #872

Show

They are heading ''north''.

You can be effected...but you do know not to look at the lights too :)

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Last question before I try this: will moving into the tall grass after I cast the spell do anything to disrupt it? I know I get a standard action and a move action, but will the tall grass be a problem?

4. - Top - End - #874

Show

No. The grass only provides soft cover and concealment, but has not effect on a visual illusion.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think I have a plan. Remember that new illusion I was talking about? I don't think they've gotten far enough that I can't still cast it in front of them. From there, we just walk into the tall grass a little to the left or right of where we saw them walk into it, and wait there for them. If I cast it in front of them, and it gets them all, I can bring them back here. If it gets some of them, and the others leave, we can kill the ones it gets... and if Corbakl isn't one of them, we bring a head back to the Temple of Shargaas to have a conversation with it. If it fails, we go back to the drawing board. Sound good?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-01-18 at 03:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #876

Snagazod the Sneaky "Sounds like plan to me. Lets dos it!"

Snagazod draws his short sword.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC: Whoops?
    Show
    I just realized I've been misreading how it chooses its targets: it can only effect creatures within 20 feet of the point it's cast on, but it fills an entire 20 foot spread around that point. So Hissra and Snagazod don't need to look away (in fact I don't think that wouldn't even help,) but they do need to not get within 20 feet of it.

This does complicate aiming it a bit. Instead of aiming where they can see it, I need to figure out where they are and aim there (give or take twenty feet.) You told me what direction they were going in when they entered the grass, and you confirmed for me they were going the standard 60 feet per round... how many rounds has it been since they walked into the grass? One, maybe two? And did it look like they knew they were being followed?

Still, at least this means I don't need to use basic trigonometry to figure out where to cast it the way I would have if the spell did work the way I thought it did. I'd still need it if I wanted to cast it in the air and as far away as possible, but hitting the targets dead on won't require me to do that.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-01-19 at 09:58 AM.

8. - Top - End - #878

Show

It's only been a round...OOC freezes time.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

Hissra casts the spell sixty feet ahead of Hissra and Snagazod and twenty feet into the air.

Then he turns to Snagazod. "We should move. If they see us, they might be worried enough to break the spell early, and we don't want to be caught in it ourselves. That would suck." Hissra gestures to the edge of the weeds, about twenty five feet to the right of where the goblins entered it. (He uses his left hand to point to where he thinks they should stand, while keeping his right hand frozen in the last position for the spell somatic.) "There?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-01-20 at 06:36 AM.

10. - Top - End - #880

Spoiler: Saves
    Show

(1d20+1)[5]
    (1d20+1)[20]
    (1d20+1)[4]
    (1d20+3)[8]

Snagazod the Sneaky nods, "Me follow you"

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I'm guessing the one with +3 is Corbakl? Wow, he failed hard. One success, though. That might be a problem.

Hissra walks to the point he pointed out (making sure to stay at a pace Snagazod can follow) and then causes the spell to move so that it will take the goblins caught in it out of the grass. (This will take two rounds.)

12. - Top - End - #882

Two rounds later the rainbow pattern floats out of the tall grass.......with Corbakl and two other goblins following it.....and the fourth goblin following the other three, looking confused, but till following.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

Hissra's jaw drops, and he stares with disbelief, before turning to whisper to Snagazod. "How the in the Hells does the goblin race survive? I've never suspected it was their brawn, and now I'm starting to doubt they do it by brains."

"Well, back to business. Let's get behind them, but stay in the grass and out of the Pattern."

Show
    A giant wasp is mindless due to having vermin traits, and Rainbow Pattern is mind-affecting, so a giant wasp from the Prime Material plane has nothing to fear from a Rainbow Pattern. But can a Fiendish one still understand orders spoken in Infernal? And if so, is it still mindless?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-01-21 at 08:16 AM.

14. - Top - End - #884

Snagazod the Sneaky "What me told you lots of times goblins is dumb."

The three (plus one, so four) goblins all follow the pattern out of the tall grass.

Show

A fiendish wasp is a magical beast, and has an intelligence of 3, so it's not mindless.

Fiendish Giant Wasp
    Large Magical Beast (Augmented Vermin, Evil, Extraplanar)

Hit Dice: 5d8+10 (32 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 60 ft. (good)
    Armor Class: 14 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
    Attack: Sting +6 melee (1d3+6 plus poison) (as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction)
    Full Attack: Sting +6 melee (1d3+6 plus poison) (as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks:

Poison (Ex):

Injury, Fortitude DC 14, initial and secondary damage 1d6 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Smite Good (Ex):

1x/day: +5 damage against any good creature.

Special Qualities:

Low-light vision, darkvision 60 feet, damage reduction 5/magic, resistance to cold, and fire 5, spell resistance 10, vermin traits

Saves: Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 3, Wis 13, Cha 11
    Skills:

Spot +9, Survival +1

+4 racial bonus on Survival checks to orient

Feats: —
    Environment: Any evil-aligned plane
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Alignment: Lawful Evil
    Advancement: 6–8 HD (Large); 9–15 HD (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: +4

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

"'Dumb' isn't a strong enough word for this. I don't think I know a word strong enough for this. Except 'goblin,' apparently."

Show
    So it can't dodge Rainbow Pattern by not being smart enough for it to work on. And Monstrous Spiders and Giant Praying Mantises summoned with that spell wouldn't be able to pull that off either, for the same reason.

If I drop a fireball on the bunch of goblins, that would mean the spell wouldn't work on them anymore. Would seeing them go for their weapons and put their game faces on do the same for Snagazod and anything I might summon?
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-01-23 at 07:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #886

Snagazod the Sneaky "goblin is goblin...hehe"

Show
    A fireball would auto break the spell yes. Approaching with a weapon just gives the goblins another save.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Does that mean if the goblins approach us with weapons, we still can't auto-resist the spell ourselves?

Next question: what are the goblins armed with? Are there any archers, or any goblins armed with smallish melee weapons who carry enough visible spares that deliberately throwing one away won't leave them weaponless?

18. - Top - End - #888

Show

Yes?

None of the goblins have bows or look like archers. Each has a short sword and several daggers. Corbakl also has a whip and a lasso.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can still move the spell so that there's room for a summoned creature just outside the grass," Hissra whispers. "The plan that's coming together in my mind is: I drop a fireball on the goblins and have some scary summoned beast jump out of the grass. The goblins look like they're armed for close-in fighting, so if they decide to fight, they'll probably come right into stab range. If they don't... hm. If I summon a Dire Wolf, that would be able to catch a goblin, and would have a decent chance of pinning one it catches. That sound good?"

20. - Top - End - #890

Snagazod the Sneaky "The goblins are looking at the lights.....um, we kill them now?"

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, if we just close in, the lights might get us. A fireball would probably kill most or all of them, but I wanted to have a summoned creature out first in case one isn't obliging enough to just die. But yeah, I want to kill them before the situation has time to change. Does the plan with moving the lights forward so I can send the summoned creature out in front of us sound good to you?"
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-01-25 at 02:55 PM.

22. - Top - End - #892

Snagazod the Sneaky "Sounds good to me......just let me knows when I can strike! hehe"

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good to hear."

Hissra moves the spell so that there's room for a Dire Wolf outside the grass, and then starts casting the summoning spell, intending to summon it into the grass to start with so that he can brief it before the fun starts.

24. - Top - End - #894

Snagazod the Sneaky waits.

The dire wolf appears and looks at you.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm about to fireball those goblins," Hissra whispers to the wolf in Infernal. "As soon as I do, get out of the grass and in front of us, but stay out of those lights. They'll vanish soon, since I'm not maintaining them anymore, but until they do they're dangerous. If the goblins come at you, defend yourself, but stay between us and them. If the goblins flee, chase them down. If the goblins use the lights as shelter, just stay out of the lights until they vanish, then attack when they vanish."

"I want the one with the whip and the lasso dead. With the others, I'm a bit more flexible. If it comes to a fight, make killing Whip-And-Lasso your first priority. If he flees, chase him down and kill him, unless he leaves the others to delay us; if he does, stay to defend us."

"If Whip-and-Lasso dies and any others keep fighting, kill them. If he dies and the others all flee, chase down whichever of the others is most convenient and trip him up, but leave the pinned goblin alive for questioning."

Now that the wolf knows what to do, Hissra casts Fireball behind the goblins so that the flames stop well short of the grass. (7d6)[28]
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-01-26 at 08:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896

The fireball explodes!

Spoiler: Saves
    Show

(1d20+1)[21]
    (1d20+1)[8]
    (1d20+1)[9]
    (1d20+5)[11]

One goblin dives out of the way...takes half damage..and it burned to a crisp.

The other two goblins take full damage...and are burned to a crisp.

Corbakl Darkdrool takes full damage is is burned and screams in pain.
    Last edited by Darth Ultron; 2019-01-26 at 10:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

One success. Given that it's one of the plus-ones I'm going to guess it's not Corbakl.

Is it the same lucky goblin who made the first save, or is it a different one? (If it even matters, since the blast will have shaken them all out of it, and anyway even at half damage that might still be lethal.)

28. - Top - End - #898

Corbakl Darkdrool, now un-facinated, draws his short sword and looks around.
    Last edited by Darth Ultron; 2019-01-26 at 10:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

The wolf, having already received it's orders, will step out of the grass to challenge him, making sure to avoid stepping into the Pattern.

Hissra whispers "Let's see how Corbakl plays this" to Snagazod in Common.
    Last edited by whiteflash; 2019-01-26 at 10:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #900

Corbakl Darkdrool turns and charges the wolf!

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+4)[8]