New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Banned

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XV - What's the Damage of a Thrown Pineapple?

Quote Originally Posted by Archeoaevis View Post
    I'm not sure how canon it is, but Roy actually did read a manual of gainful exercise in SSDT. It's mentioned in his inventory here, after all.
    Well hell. Good!

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XV - What's the Damage of a Thrown Pineapple?

You know, that actually might explain how all of his stats are so high... maybe they weren't until he read all those inherent bonus manuals.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I find it...unlikely...that he's read any Dexterity books while traveling with Haley, Charisma books while traveling with Elan, Intelligence books while traveling with Vaarsuvius, or Wisdom books while traveling with Durkon.

Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales certainly doesn't treat it as "the leader automatically gets this, no matter what kind of book it is." Nor does the online comic suggest such a lopsided manner of loot distribution.
    I was talking about his physical stats, to be specific; I'm fairly sure his mental stats were already as high as they are now.

It certainly does explain how his Strength is so high, though, as mentioned by earlier posters. Personally I think Roy was just estimating about the Frost Giant Berserker's Strength being the same as his, plus if she's an elite frost giant with Barbarian levels she probably has a higher Strength score than the average frost giant(Str 29) even without Raging... but eh.

Actually I'm not sure if she even had levels in Barbarian; nothing strongly proves that she was Raging and "strongest warrior" could easily mean a level or two of Fighter, so... I dunno.

Oh, by the way, if Roy was 15th-level when fighting Greg at the Godsmoot, the first attack he made after awakening his sword's Legacy powers was done while jumping down at Greg; Greg tries to cast Slay Living; Roy uses the Spellsplinter Maneuver to make an AoO against Greg, disrupting the spell, then unleashes a full attack on him? Is that right? Or am I forgetting something?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ettin in the Playground

Rich refers to Malack as a lizardfolk in the Book 5 commentary:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Round 3 Commentary
    Leapin’ Lizards!
    With the Western Continent, I had an opportunity to do a little worldbuilding. Normally, I deliberately keep the setting pretty generic; I think that way, the story works better as a commentary on the entire fantasy genre (not to mention the game it was originally based on). But I also wanted to make sure this region was memorable the way Azure City was. I decided that the Western Continent would be a place where the reptilian races—lizardfolk, kobolds, etc.—were as common as the regular demihumans were elsewhere. I especially wanted to emphasize the idea that here, they weren’t barbaric tribes for the heroes to wipe out, but were part of whatever passed for a society. To that end, I introduce several reptilian characters in this book.

The most important one was Malack, the lizardfolk priest of Nergal that befriends Durkon. The pair immediately hit it off, perhaps owing to Durkon’s isolation from others of his kind. He has no dwarves with which to bond, so he is naturally drawn to someone sharing his character class instead. Malack, for his part, seems like the calm straight man to Tarquin’s theatrical antics. Even in the next chapter when we start to see Tarquin’s darker side, Malack appears to hold himself apart from such vile instincts. As we’ll see later in the book, though, he has just as much blood on his hands when it comes to the empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Round 8 Commentary
    Which is not to say that Durkon is completely blameless in how things went down. Like Elan did with his father, Durkon turned a blind eye earlier in the book to the possibility of Malack’s involvement in the Empire of Blood’s crimes, choosing to believe that same mask of civility over Haley’s salient objections. The fact is that if Malack is guilty of benefitting from the empire’s brutality because he collects the blood, he is no less guilty of benefitting when he collects their tithes and taxes. Even if Malack was a mortal lizardfolk, he would still be profiting from the misery of the populace. It is not to Durkon’s credit that he didn’t question this until Malack’s undead status was revealed.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, that's interesting. Hmm... I don't seem to remember any lizardfolk subraces with snake tails instead of legs; does anyone else know?

Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sure we know that Minrah can cast Searing Light and Remove Blindness but do we know that Minrah is actually a cleric of Thor and does not have some prestige class that grants divine magic? Indeed, could she be a paladin?

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ettin in the Playground

THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Sure we know Minrah is short and hangs out in the North but do we know that Minrah is actually a dwarf and does, not have some Flaw that grants extreme shortness? Indeed, could she be an elf?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Sure we know Minrah is short and hangs out in the North but do we know that Minrah is actually a dwarf and does, not have some Flaw that grants extreme shortness? Indeed, could she be an elf?
    New headcanon: Minrah, the dungeonbred elf Paladin of a (really minor) elf goddess.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #1150

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    New headcanon: Minrah, the dungeonbred elf Paladin of a (really minor) elf goddess.

Grey Wolf
    She is the most complex character in the strip. An impressive feat, that.

11. - Top - End - #1151

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Thank you.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yay, Minrah is coming back to life. I say "yay" not for story reason but purely for geekery ones--now that we've statted her, there is a new chance that we'll get more information for her statblock...

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, another thread offhandedly mentioned that O-Chul's Constitution compares favourably to that of a giant. I was curious about this and looked it up, but the only citation I can find just lists "War and XPs" as the source. Does that mean it's mentioned in book-only content? If not, is there maths I can see somewhere for how this is known/how he achieved this? I'm curious, is all.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Hey, another thread offhandedly mentioned that O-Chul's Constitution compares favourably to that of a giant. I was curious about this and looked it up, but the only citation I can find just lists "War and XPs" as the source. Does that mean it's mentioned in book-only content? If not, is there maths I can see somewhere for how this is known/how he achieved this? I'm curious, is all.
    The citation is to author commentary which characterizes O-Chul's Constitution score as "in the mid-twenties."

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Titan in the Playground

Oh crikey, okay. I'll have to check that out.

(I was hoping that someone had added up all his Acid-breathing-shark damage etc or something, but this makes more sense).

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Oh crikey, okay. I'll have to check that out.

(I was hoping that someone had added up all his Acid-breathing-shark damage etc or something, but this makes more sense).
    Following up on this:

I note that the comment you referred to says that "mid-twenties" is his Constitution without items. This is not true. O-Chul's feat of Constitution to which that comment referred was surviving the exploding castle and plummeting to the plain outside Azure City headfirst. At that time, he was still wearing his Sapphire Guard gear, which the Giant elsewhere - in referring to Miko's gear turning from blue to beige - refers to as "powerful magic items."

So he could have had a starting 18 in Constitution, 2 or 3 additional points in Constitution from leveling up, and a +4 or +6 item.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Following up on this:

I note that the comment you referred to says that "mid-twenties" is his Constitution without items. This is not true. O-Chul's feat of Constitution to which that comment referred was surviving the exploding castle and plummeting to the plain outside Azure City headfirst. At that time, he was still wearing his Sapphire Guard gear, which the Giant elsewhere - in referring to Miko's gear turning from blue to beige - refers to as "powerful magic items."

So he could have had a starting 18 in Constitution, 2 or 3 additional points in Constitution from leveling up, and a +4 or +6 item.
    Wouldn't the 'without items' part mean what he would have needed to get 6-7 additional points of Con to get to mid-twenties?

18. - Top - End - #1158

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Wouldn't the 'without items' part mean what he would have needed to get 6-7 additional points of Con to get to mid-twenties?
    Sure, if he was low level.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, so that's where that statement came from? Great, now I feel stupid. More stupid.

Still, that's pretty high.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Bugbear in the Playground

So this is another 7th level spell (Resurrection) and a 5th level spell (Flame Strike) cast by Hilgya. And she either has raise dead (5th level) or another Resurrection prepared...

So...

Spells cast:
    Level 4: Chaos Hammer (1117)
    Level 5: Flame Strike (1149), Flame Strike (1123), Summon Monster V (1116)
    Level 7: Resurrection (1149), Empowered Flame Strike (1128), Empowered Flame Strike (1119), Greater Scrying (1109)

As far as I can tell, she has not cast any 5th or 7th level domain spell, so she still has one of those for each level to cast.

In order to have cast four 7th level non-domain spells, she could be the following: Cleric 14th level, 32+ wisdom (which grants two fifth level spells and covers that), or she would be a 16th level cleric with a minimum of 24 wisdom.

If she ends up casting Resurrection again... then that is five 7th level non domain spells cast. Which could potentially put her at 18th level with minimum of 32 wisdom. (if any lower level, she'd need a minimum of 40 wisdom)
    Last edited by EmperorSarda; 2018-12-17 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Adding information

21. - Top - End - #1161

So, assuming Hilgya resurrects Durkon again, Durkon will have lost two levels.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorSarda View Post
    So this is another 7th level spell (Resurrection) and a 5th level spell (Flame Strike) cast by Hilgya. And she either has raise dead (5th level) or another Resurrection prepared...

So...

Spells cast:
    See here.

The combination of level and stat bonuses that explains what we see while keeping both level and stat as low as possible is Cleric 15, Wisdom 24. Though that does require Hilgya putting a 7th-level spell into an 8th-level slot (I put resurrection there, but any of her 7th-level spells would have done just as well). Casting resurrection again would only require that she have Wisdom 26, as she could prepare that spell in her 8th-level slot.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-12-17 at 02:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    So, assuming Hilgya resurrects Durkon again, Durkon will have lost two levels.
    Support for my nerfing-Durkon theory continues to accrue at an alarming rate.

24. - Top - End - #1164

See here.

The combination of level and stat bonuses that explains what we see while keeping both level and stat as low as possible is Cleric 15, Wisdom 24. Though that does require Hilgya putting a 7th-level spell into an 8th-level slot (I put resurrection there, but any of her 7th-level spells would have done just as well). Casting resurrection again would only require that she have Wisdom 26, as she could prepare that spell in her 8th-level slot.
    I forget sometimes you can put lower level spells in higher slots. Oops.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Banned

Question: can Hilgya use a raise dead spell to raise Durkon this time, since this last death was as a living man? Or will she have to use resurrection because he was once an undead?

26. - Top - End - #1166

Question: can Hilgya use a raise dead spell to raise Durkon this time, since this last death was as a living man? Or will she have to use resurrection because he was once an undead?
    That's a really good question. Id say RAI would allow Raise Dead.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ettin in the Playground

RAI, definitely Raise Dead - I seriously doubt any group ever has interpreted this line from Raise Dead:

A creature who has been turned into an undead creature or killed by a death effect can’t be raised by this spell.
    ...to mean that it never works on you ever again if you ever get turned into an undead or killed by a death effect.

(Technically I suppose I can see the RAW interpretation that would lead to that, but it's pretty clear that "has been turned" means for their current death, not that this disqualifies you from ever being raised for the rest of your adventuring career.)

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

So... is Durkon soon to be down 2 levels now?

29. - Top - End - #1169

PaladinGuy

I wondered what we can deduce about Durkon's HP from Hilgya's Flame Strike. Note that I'm casting aside the Rule of Funny.

Hilgya did a base of 14d6 or 15d6 damage and Durkon clearly failed his save, but that's only 49 or 52.5 HP damage on average, and a maximum of 84 or 90 HP. Note also that the spell took him to below -9 HP. Durkon lost a level from the Resurrection but Resurrection grants you full HP straight off. A 13th level cleric (Durkon post-Resurrection) has 8+12d8 HP or 56 HP on average, but +13 per point of CON bonus. A CON bonus of +2 would grant +26 HP and give Durkon expected HP of 82 HP - over the top for even a Maximised Flame Strike. (BTW an Empowered Flame Strike does an average of 74 or 79 HP damage.)

An alternative is that Durkon rolled poorly for HP. If he rolled a 1 for all 12 levels beyond the first he would have a base of 20 HP so a CON bonus of +5 would give him 85 HP, which means that he could not be killed outright.

The third possibility - indeed probability - is that Hilgya got a result of 50+ HP damage and thus triggered a save for massive damage, which Durkon failed, despite his Fort save being +8 or more - you can always roll a 1. A roll of 2 would require a CON bonus of +5, or +3 and the Great Fortitude feat. (I'm assuming the dwarf's +2 bonus against spell damage doesn't count here.)

So we can't really deduce anything due to the third possibility but if we exclude that we can deduce that Durkon has a maximum CON bonus of +4 and likely +0 or +1.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Titan in the Playground

Sure hope Hilgya prepared a Revivify instead of a Raise Dead. It's from Spell Compendium, but we've already seen spells from that book since Z's Vitrolic Sphere.

Extended sig here.