New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The purpose of the rules

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    If person X should automatically succeed, they shouldn't have to roll at all. I'm not fond of critical fails for skills (or critical success, for that matter).
    I tend to agree that there comes a point where a roll is superfluous (thus "maybe even to the point that they automatically succeed") -- or should only be made for degree of success, not chance of success.

And in general I'm not much of a fan of "you fail no matter what on this result" rules unless they're handled very carefully.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: The purpose of the rules

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    To expound on the part in your first paragraph -- if a game using this system does end up with a character who is a superhero or demigod (and thus possessing or able to access fantastic strength), then their attempt (roll, whatever) will be able to easily overcome the DC of a normal door, maybe even to the point that they automatically succeed.
    Yeah. I'm running a 'well known' d20 system at the moment, and try to mostly follow this approach:
    http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/...and-difficulty