New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Threshold IC II (D&D E6, low-op, story based)

Yeah, I'll do it no prob." says Jack, pondering something else. Uncharacteristically, he seems to hesitate before speaking again. He turns to Jon: "Of all of us you knew him best and so it is your call to make, but... say, do you think Toby would have liked to be part of something like this? Fael could surely use Toby's simple joy of living right now. Perhaps that could be a possibility."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #752
    Banned

We could even rebuild it, if you so desire. It’s not usually a possibility with sentients, but a simple critter like this one we could recreate with little trouble.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iTookUrNick View Post
    He turns to Jon: "Of all of us you knew him best and so it is your call to make, but... say, do you think Toby would have liked to be part of something like this? Fael could surely use Toby's simple joy of living right now. Perhaps that could be a possibility."
    Bobin tilts his head to one side, considering for a moment, then nods to himself. That doesn't sound like an awful idea, he thinks.

We could even rebuild it, if you so desire. It’s not usually a possibility with sentients, but a simple critter like this one we could recreate with little trouble.
    Bobin stops midway through depositing a body into the pool. "Uh, but his soul has fled, has it not? Surely even with an animal, it wouldn't be the same Toby. I don't know about that. But that's up to Jon, anyhow." Bobin turns back to the pool and carefully lowers the body into it.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-04-08 at 09:32 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Jon gasps and looks from Fael's inert form to Toby's body and back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Wogwoggle View Post
    Bobin stops midway through depositing a body into the pool. "Uh, but his soul has fled, has it not? Surely even with an animal, it wouldn't be the same Toby. I don't know about that. But that's up to Jon, anyhow." Bobin turns back to the pool and carefully lowers the body into it.
    Jon gives a melancholy sigh. "I think you're right Bobin. I guess Toby's gone, and it's a'ight. He's in wit' th'others nice fluffy animals an' the Good Gods, an' he's havin' fun an' all I'm sure."

"Fael, I'm gonna put 'em bodies in the vat, an' I'm not gonna ask you t'promise, 'cause it ain't fair t'ask a promise with you bein' all passed out an' stuff, but, please, can you leave th'elf girl an' her da alone? An' so people ain't scared anymore in town? Please Fael."

Jon grabs the first charred body under the shoulders, then waits for Bobin to lift his feet, and throws it in the vat with a loud splash. He then moves to the next body.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

5. - Top - End - #755
    Banned

It's undeniably fairly gristly work, tossing the poor fallen into the elder pool. As the bodies sink into the pool, little tadpoles eagerly dart in, doing their part for the illithid life cycle. Soon enough it is done, and it's time to leave the mines behind - perhaps for good.

Fael doesn't hesitate with reassurance: I desire only peace for me and mine - if the elves offers me no hostility, I shall offer none to them.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

"A'ight, I guess we done 'ere. Come on..." Jon refelxively looks around himself, at his foot first, then further away, and finds nothing. "Come on Bobin, let's go."
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

7. - Top - End - #757
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bobin dusts off his hands when he and Jon finish moving the bodies. Seeing Jon seek out for a friend that is no longer there strikes at the halfling's heart. He reaches up to give the young a man a comforting pat, a poor attempt at a reassuring half-smile on his face.

"I'm sorry, Jon. He'll be gamboling through the Beastlands or some such place in no time, I'm sure of it."

Bobin walks with Jon to the surface in silence. Despite being underground for only a short while, the fresh air above seems particularly pleasant, if tinged with melancholy. He looks toward the wizard tower, hoping to catch sight of Jack.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2019-04-16 at 09:34 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack leaves his two friends to move the bodies and leads the elf outside the caves. He makes sure they are out in the open before relaxing a bit.
    He assesses the elf lady: "We're almost there. Your father will be very happy to see you back safe and sound. He's been looking for you for a long time." He pauses, gauging the response of the woman to his words, before adding: "I hope you will agree that it would not do to foster any animosity toward the mind-flayer. I understand this experience was very traumatic for you and it will take time for you to adjust to your new reality. However, you must realise the profound effect that you had on his psyche: he went so far as risking his own life and mind to give you a chance. We might be witnessing the beginning of a new breed of "cosmic horror" that can live and work in harmony with other species. But then, only time will tell."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Remind me, how did we manage HPs on level up? was it a dice roll? if so, 1d4 - (1d4)[3]
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #759
    Banned

After a long climb, you emerge into the late summer sunshine. Relative to Silverbrook, the mines are north east, where the gate to Sigil is north west. As it happens, you're near the farm where you once helped a some formians and farmers who'd all been swindled.

It's a short hike, a couple of miles, back to town, where Amunë's conjured tower stands just on the southern outskirts, a couple of stories taller than any other structure in town. As you approach, the elf emerges from it's gate. It's a strange moment - Aniël runs to her father, but falters .. as if she knows almost immediately. She hugs him, but soon withdraws to speak:

Oh Father ... what have you done? Why?

The merest shadow of expression passes over his face - regret, perhaps?

I was the last living elf, with much yet to do, but little use for .... life. This new state will be helpful where I plan to go.

Oh, she sounds heartbroken, so I'm literally the only one?

Her father looks pensive, and replies:

I heard rumours your uncle is still alive - but I tried contacting Ephiscoban many times, and he never answered. I think he's gone, and there are no others I know of. But travel the planes, my daughter. We're still around, just .. not here.

He turns to you, and says:

You have managed to greatly exceed my expectations, and conclude this matter in a manner I had not thought possible. Anything I have that can be of yours, you shall have - merely let me know. In fact, he rummages through his pockets for a moment, coming up with a large keychain, from which he picks a golden key, which he tosses to Jack, here, this is the key to my tower - it unlocks everything. It's yours. Keep it, sell it, loot it. I have no further use for the place.

From the same keychain, he picks another key, this one weirdly shimmering and translucent. He gives this to his daughter: I trust you know how to use this. It should have everything you might need, but if it doesn't, you can always reach me - I'm sure I can help, if you like.

Spoiler: Hitpoints
    Show

I think what we do is we roll, and any sufficiently crappy roll gets rerolled.