New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dark Underrising in Lovric

Arelyn

It seems similar in shape my lord,” Arelyn replied, ”but the color is different. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a metal like that before.”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Without a word Aticoll took the sword and walked away with it - to a place with better illumination. This metal was fascinating and during his apprenticeship he saw something like that before. But this was at the beginning of it, so it's been a while.

Nevertheless he took his tools and started inspecting the weapon.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    craft (weaponsmithing) (1d20+14)[31]
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2018-01-31 at 03:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Aticoll remembers his master telling him about the ore Galvorn, a rare ore that when mixed with mercury forms a dark blue or black metal. But all traces of its how to in terms of creation have been lost. What is even more strikingly odd to Aticoll is the design is vaguely elven in appearance, but then he remembers most likely why it has elven influence; Black Elves. The craftmenship is easily amongst the best smithing work Aitcoll, or anyone else has seen for that matter.

Duke Volen smiles as Aitocll lets out an 'Oh' Standing he takes a half dozen steps towards the group."I see you have figured out where the origins of this sword lie, dwarf. You care to hear the story on how I came to possess such a blade?"

Aticoll hand begins to warm a bit where he touched the blade, it leaving his palm a brighter red. he quickly sheaths the sword and hands it back to the Duke.
    Last edited by ngilop; 2018-01-31 at 04:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Aticoll nods over to the Duke sure! he replied

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

"Generations ago a mighty army came forth from the Wocal forest, an army of, what were once just mythical, black elves. In a way it broke this kingdom, My own Great grandfather fought and died against the captain who wielded that same blade, none of us knew what material it was made out of, but we knew the wounds it could cause at even the slightest cut." He takes the sword offer back to him from Aticoll. "In my youth I thought I could weild such a weapon as this, but found out the hard way, my two cousins laughed as I cried out in pain from just wielding this sword, but stopped when they saw the causes of my pain." Duke Volen removes his right glove and reveals his palm which looks as though it had been severely burned and the skin that healed has a darker color to it than the rest of his hand.

He makes his way back to the throne and sits. " There has been..a dozen or so He turns to Captain Cilhar who nods affirmitavely reports of bugbears using similarly shaped weapons though none have reported them to be black blades like this one."
    Last edited by ngilop; 2018-01-31 at 04:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

After the Duke took back his sword Aticoll felt better. Something evil sheats the blade, something magical must have been part of the forging.

The black elves also!
    He searched for Cass and as he found his eyes he asked him Evil?, knowing that he is blessed by his god and gifted with this sight
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2018-01-31 at 04:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cass catches Aticoll's eyes and nods, stepping forward. "May I inspect the weapon as well?"

Once in hand, Cass withdraws a portion of the blade from the sheath and gazes deeply at it.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Detect Evil

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

The sword does not register as evil. You can only assume the alloy forged in the creation somehow makes the blade poisonous to touch. for, you all know mercury to be in and of itself poisonous, Aticoll explains that mercury poisoning tends to make one's vision impaired and disrupts their equilibrium as well as over-all fatigue. Perhaps the combination of mercury and galvorn react to the physiology of one's body in an extreme way?
    Last edited by ngilop; 2018-02-01 at 09:13 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

You say it is not evil by itself? At least one good point. It's bad enough how it is forged. I mean it isn't bad forged, this technique, wonderful! It's just that the smith and the wielder of a weapon like this want to spread havoc!
    You all see the blue shimmering, ya? That's because of the mercury in the alloy. And we all know how poisonous mercury is! You can feel its power just by touching it. And now imagine a cut deep in your flesh!

The material, the form and the processing of the blade, all says black elfs. We should all sleep with one eye open!

Not many had ever heard Aticoll speak so much once at a time. Often he didn't speak so many words in a month. But all this had to be said.

The euphoria in his eyes faded away as he was ready with his speach and he returned looking like the stoic watchmen again.
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2018-02-01 at 12:41 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

What would you have us do, my lord?” Arelyn asked.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

"what is strange about all of this is that while we are used to bugbear attacks once a generation or so, this is the first time since the Black Elf invasion we have seen these same weapons, but the bugbears have not been using anything other than their usual tactics, ambushes and bully rushes. Nothing at all like the advanced ones used by the black elves." The duke says while scratching his chin in ponder.

He leans forward "We do not really have the resources to investigate such, nor the knowledge of craftsmanship as the dwarves of Dhel Faldir. I wish you to travel there and see what you can gather and what this all might mean for my land, as well as the dwarven ones and the kingdom as a whole. My uncle is not well and old, I fear the idea of another invasion would be too much for him"
    Last edited by ngilop; 2018-02-02 at 12:37 PM. Reason: needed foreshadowing

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A short smile twinkled over Aticolls face as he heard the name Dhel Faldir. For whom knowing him better know that he is really happy to come home.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn

Maybe the weapons were stolen,” Arelyn said.

She listened to the Duke’s request, then nodded.

Of course we’ll investigate,” Arelyn said, “if it means stopping the bugbear attacks or even worse, another invasion. We’ll get to the bottom of it.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

The Duke stands and bows in thanks "I appreciate it, Captain Cilhar will take you to the armory, you have a thousand gold line of credit to buy any supplies that you need"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cass nods his thanks to the Duke, but hesitates in turning to follow the Captain. "There was a family attacked by the bugbears and the father killed on the road yesterday. What's going to happen to his widow and their child?"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

"Miro was receiving his father's military pay, as his father retired from active service with a couple years of back pay owed and died shortly thereafter. That money will be taxed and the left over given to the son, with Lidka, the mother, as the executor of the assets. That should be enough for at least a year or two, plus she can sell his pottery business or if she knows how, run it herself." Captain Cilhar answers

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Very good." Cass grins and follows the man towards the armory.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

You all follow Captain Cilhar to the armory and gather the supplies and such you need for the treck. Aticoll is in high spirits and you all make your way to his home, a place he has not been for many a year.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

At the armory, he watched at the weapons and couldn't find a better one than his axe. A mithral breastplate he found but it was too expansive.
    Instead he sharpened his axe and waits for his comrades to be ready.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn purchased adventuring supplies for the road, but she already had most of the equipment she needed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    next pickup is masterwork mirthril breastplate, which I don’t think I have the funds for yet.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

As you leave with your newly purchased items, Captain Cilhar says as you leave to begin the journey "Normally Brayt gets a monthly caravan of trade good from the dwarves, while it is not unheard of for them to skip a month here or there, especially during the more harsh winters, they are overdue. I am hoping it is nothing, but with the bugbear attacks and the implications of black elven arms I want to be safe rather than sorry. The duke has enough on his plate to be worrying about what is going on with Dhel Faldir and the trade caravans."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cass’s brow furrows. “How large is the company of dwarves that passes through?”

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Captain Cilhar takes a moment to think before answering "Normally around a score of wagons, with guards, merchants, teamsters, and servants the number of dwarves is around a hundred fifty." He then chuckles for a moment "I know I sound like a old maid spouting nonsense, nobody in their right mind would dare attack a dwarven caravan, lets they have an army of their own. But then, bugbears would not normally have well made weapons. Let alone weapons that have a dark history with our peoples."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

As you all make your way to Dhel Feldir the first few days are rather uneventful. The day before you arrive at the Dwarven hold, you come across the remains of a battle site, a fresh one. Lord Castleroy is able to inspect the tracks and what conclusion he comes to is about a week or so ago a train of wagons was set upon by a few score goblins and a dozen or so bugbears. You all hurry towards the town, worried about what state you will find it in.

You arrive greeted by 14 dwarves in armor and weapons bared, they shout to you behind a spike barricade war slings (think ballista but launching rocks instead of bolts) [Dwarven]Who ye be and what business ye be having to come here so armed, answer before I count to 5 or prepared to get stoned!" 1, 2, 3..."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

“Any idea what they’re saying?” Arelyn whispered.
    TC for short

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

”No idea.” Cass whispers back.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Aticoll stepped forward, his axe held high and his massive shield unprotective away from his body. But me... he said while walking past his comrades.

[Dwarven] Moradins blessing, brothers! It's me, Aticoll, son of Alcott, Weaponsmith and Traveler.
    No need for rock raining! Tell me, who's on your side of the barricade?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If they tell their names, please say which one Aticoll knows.
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2018-02-16 at 03:52 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

[Dwarven] "Cousin! Where have you been these last years? You picked an odd time to come back, with friends it seems." A dwarf walks out in front of the barricade, his arm extended in the typical dwarven greeting. Aticoll recognizes his cousin Hirar and greets him in turn.

He follows the parties gaze to the barricade, war machine, and armed dwarves and nods a bit [Dwarven] "We had a trade caravan ambushed by a goblin band, and there is rumors of a horde making its way south west out of the Delar Mountains."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

[Dwarven] Hirar! How are you? How's your mother doing? Is greatuncle Bongo still trying to ride a stone to the moon?
    If you don't mind, could we start talking in common?
    My friends over here couldn't speak our language. They speak alot but with the wrong words. Muhahaha

Aticoll was laughing. Laughing. He.
    Nobody of his fellows had heard this before. He was really happy to see his family again.

He introduced his friends, greeted the other dwarfs but didn't say a word about the ambush.

[Dwarven] Like I said, common would be polite. My friends will be thankful
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2018-02-17 at 01:54 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Hirar bows in apology "Deepest apologies, I forget there are other languages at times." Hirar shakes each of the humans hands. "Any friend to Aticoll is a friend to me."

The dwarves let you all pass and Hirar walks with you talking still "Bongo is recovering from a broken leg, as he made the biggest war sling ever.. his words I have no idea if its true, and tried to reach the moon that way. Mother.. well We lost Baz in the caravan ambush, seeing her favorite nephew might cheer her up though."