New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Dark Underrising in Lovric

Damn! Baz? That's sad... Do the talking with them, okay? He pointed to his friends.
    It seemed that Aticoll turned back into that stoic watchman like before. Talking Common wasn't his favorite.
    Last edited by Fliggl; 2018-02-17 at 10:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

You don't have to be shy! They are dwarfs! My family and friends!

So, we are here, because of a raid. And a sword - a beautiful but evil one. And dark elves. Ahhh come on, Cass, Arelyn?

Aticoll seemed desperate. He wasn't goid at reporting...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn

We’re investigating the recent attacks,” Arelyn said.

[/color]

Arelyn summed up recent events and did her best to make a good impression on the dwarves.

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy improve attitude, take 10 for 26
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Hirar thinks for a moment "any questions about weapons should be directed to the weaponsmith guild as they would know more about such than anyone else I would wager."

He then turns to Aticoll and whispers [Dwarven]Baz died more to a sort of poison of a strange blade than to the weapon itself, the skin around the wound turned bright pink and bubbled as if burnt." Hirar faces back to Castleroy and Arelyn "we too have had encounters with weapons from out of our legends, there be whispers of evil coming back to the lands and goblinoid rituals in the forest to the south."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

[Dwarven]Hirar, tell me! Is Alchemy still frowned upon by our clan? Baz could still be alive, you know?

Aticoll knew that his clan was antiquated. In the few years he was wandering he saw alot of innovations. It isn't bad to stay at the well-tried but time doesn't stand still.
    Alchemy is one of these innovations. But the clan-leaders were all white-bearded stubborns. Younger dwarves had to take the reins.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

”Has anyone investigated the rituals? How many goblins are in the forest?” Arelyn asked.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2018-02-27 at 08:18 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Hirar shakes his head to Aticoll's question, you get the sense he is saying no to more than just the questions posed.

Hirar then turns to Arelyn "We never took much truth to the ritual rumors... even the 'oncoming horde' rumors but since the ambush of the caravan it has been other wise. Now the council of elders meets just about everyday arguing over if we need to assembly the army, where to march it, and who has the longest beard." He adds the last one in a frustrated tone. "With everything going on and most of the people spooked, none have been sent into the forest to check on the rumors, instead they have a platoon guarding the entrances with warslings like hey expect an assault at any time, even when not a single scout from the dozen has seen any trace of a goblin horde."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn

I think we should talk to the weapons guild first, then maybe investigate the forest,” Arelyn said, “unless anyone else has a better idea?”
    TC for short

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Aticoll nodded. Good idea.
    Hirar, who's the leader of the guild? Is it still Ramon Bearcutter?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

"yes he still is, cousin. Though with the half-hearted preparations for war going on he is most likely to be found in the council ward rather the forges." Hirar then suddenly remembers he is supposed to be outside posting guard duty and slaps himself in the face with an audible *smack* "Well, I have to return to duty, probably already got a demerit or two" Hirar then hurries back to his post outside the gate.

You get the feeling that the dwarves are either moving to fast in regards to recently developments, or maybe too slow.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cass shakes his head. "I've never seen a dwarven welcome quite like this before." He laughs nervously. "It's a good thing you were here Aticoll! Though I'm starting to wonder just how large of a force we're looking at here. To take on that many dwarves..." Cass ends his thought with a low whistle. "We need to find out just what we're up against."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Aticoll had the feeling he should inform his comrades a bit more about his clan.
    Look guys, we're up to meet some of my clan. Maybe some of the leaders. You should know that they are --- how should I say --- they already have their opinion, no matter what you will say. And, they aren't so talkative like I am.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

You make your way to the forges, smoke, soot, and glowing embers fill the air, causing the non dwarves to cough. Seems Aitcoll is acclimated to such conditions. Dwarves hurry past you and though you try to get their attention they seem to either ignore you or be on to more pressing matters. After two minutes or so of attempting to talk to somebody, one of the dwarves stops in his tracks and almost walks backwards "Armed humans..?" He says with a very perplexed look on his face before he notices Aticoll. "What brings you here, here to help in the war preparations or you from Brayt and curious as to what happened to the trade caravan?"

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn

Both. We’re hoping to meet with the guild leadership to learn more about the strange weapons the bugbears are using,” Arelyn replied.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

The dwarf nods "The forgemasters are further in the back, they will be the ones around one hammering less than arguing." The Dwarf then seems satisfied with the answer and moves on to whatever duties he had before he stopped.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn moves off in the direction indicated, looking for the smithing dwarves.

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry, not much for me to go on here.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Aticoll took a deep breath Finally, I'm home! . He was walking to the back of the forge to meet the masters.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

You al 3 make your way to the rear of the forge halls. You walk for quite a way and then you see a group of elderly Dwarves surrounding a lit, but unused forge arguing. As you walk closer Aticoll can make out what their argument is about: how many weapons they need, do they even need weapons, how much should be used on armor as opposed to weapons, and who has the longest beard.

They stop and look to you as you near them "What do you want!" One says, his voice showing signs of both authority and annoyance.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

May your fire burning hot and your beards be long! Aticoll greeted the dwarves. You know such blades? he draw the outline of the sword into the dust.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

The gathered forgemasters all gasp as Aticoll draws the outline, the one who spoke to you then in a less annoyed tone states "Yes, we know of such blades, elven they be... and ancient. Tell me anything else about the blade you know of.?"

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Some Bugbears had these swords.
    They were attacking a young family in the woods.
    It's sad that the husband died there but it wasn't something special! Just evil creatures attacking some random citizens.

Why are you so afraid? It's just a sword. Darkelf, ya, but what is so frightening?

Old dwarves. Every single one had fought more battles than Atticols group together. And a simple drawing was enough to give them goosebumps? He wanted to know the story behind.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Forgemaster Bearcutter shakes his head disapproval "whelp*, it is not the sword itself that has us worried so, it is what the blade represents. Think of everything you know of elves.. now picture all of that turned to pure evil with blades that are poisonous to every other race in existence. The goblin ambush and the attack you rescued the woman and child from are related. We are afraid the Black Elves are behind this, and if we find a Galvorn weapon rather than just steel or iron, you would do well to be afraid as are we.

Elves are dangerous opponents, they might now be as sturdy or competent in a fight as a dwarf, but they are more nimble and have more powerful magic. Imagine if those same elves had no qualms about what kind of magic they used or what any fallout could be of any of their rituals. This is the true reason why The council is acting as it is, not solely because of goblins..but what could, potentially, be behind the goblinoid attacks."

*This is for a dwarf an insulting term, referring to the speaker he is young, inexperienced, and foolish.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

You know what? The blades aren't poisonous. They have just a mercury alloy. It's some kind of metal. But what do I told you - you know this. And now you are afraid of blades and elves? Of the pointy eared tree hugger? And you call me a whelp?
    By Moradin! We are dwarves! We aren't afraid of elves and blades and battles! We love axes and swords, we celebrate the fighting and we laugh over elves!

Just think a bit further than your beard is long. Only for once! Dammit! Fools! Old stubborns!!!

So much he wanted to tell them and call them. But he had learned to be quiet and not to contradict. Instead he said nothing and became the watchmen he is known for. But not before let his comrades see that he was rolling his eyes, meaning “you see? Exactly what I told you.“

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Bearcutter eyes Aticoll for a few, the Guild Master seems to be picking up on the vibes. "All 3 of you shall come with me to the Vault of the Ancients." Though he does not state it as a command, you all get the impression that you should do as told.

You follow Forgemaster Bearcutter to a vey old and very large stone door, which is open vastly easier than you would have suspected. He takes you to a part filled with various weapons and over to a display case with a half dozen or so bladed weapons in them, most, of course, are the same curved swords you have seen. There also happens to be what looks like a shattered glaive, a dagger and a intricate spear with a broad head (think a fancy boar spear without the wings).

He turns around and sighs at Aticoll before speaking "Do not take my previous words so light nor do not allow your dwarven pride to get in the way of truths. 12 generations ago we assisted the Elven kingdoms of Laillaterra and Graemarene in destroying the Black Elf kingdom. The war lasted almost 200 years, and the Garemarene was destroyed by three plagues, two born of insidious black magics. We dwarves might be powerful fighters and masters of warfare, but you have to realize that the elves are just as mighty. Just in a different way. It took a triple alliance to defeat the Black Elves, and one part of the alliance is no more. While the others suffered losses that are in some cases just beginning to be back to pre-war. We have the weapons, we know what they are made of. But we do not know how, and greater smiths than I have attempted to figure it out. Mercury is poisonous, yes, if ingested. somehow the combination of mercury and galvron create somekind of poisonous metal, and somehow the black elves are immune to it. Praise to Moradin for dwarven fortitude, as we are more able to resist such effect than elves or humans.."

He reaches in and picks up on of the dagger careful to hold it by the leather wraped handle. "It is not that us dwarves of Dhel Faldir are afraid of combat. It is we are afraid that there might be a war oncoming we have no chance to win. It took ourselves and two powerful elven kingdoms, one of which suffered a finality, to win the last time. Lovric with it's split political power, I am afraid, is in no shape to lend any effectual assistance. The Dark Underrising as it came to be know shattered the human kingdom, and It was not anywhere close to a real military excursion. Most likely a hot-blooded younger general who did not take time to tactically think, let alone fight. Why else do you think the supply chain was so easily broken?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

This can't be true! There has to be a way, there IS a way! We should contact the Gnomes - they know alot about alchemy. Or gather the humans and the elves - new alliances must be built. Something! Aticoll was upset.
    [Dwarf] The humans may not be the strongest warriors but they are big in numbers. More importantly, most of them are honest and sincere. And especially friends. he looked over to his comrades and for a split second a smile was visible.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Bearcutter nods affirmatively before he replies "We know what humans are capable of, with their short lives they strive to be greater every generation, which is something us dwarves are seldom to do. Lovric could be mighty, but the current situation with the local lords holding more power than the king does not lend well to efficient or adequate responses to such as event as an invasion."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

All this speaking was hard for Aticoll. He's the guy with the axe and the shield not the one with the golden tongue.

We are here in Lovrics name. We are expected back. What should we tell them? Any messages?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn

We don’t even know if there’s an invasion or not,” Arelyn said, “shouldn’t we find out more before we go back, at least see if there are goblins and how many?
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Bearcutter places the dagger back in the case "well.. here you can help. If you do I will put in a good word at the council for Lovric. We have had a dozen or so reports, in verified of course, of goblinoids meeting in the forest and doing dark rituals. If you can investigate and return with information to affirm or refute said reports That would be good. Know this though, even if we decide to help Lovric, it may not be enough. The government has been in pieces and wasted most of their power, in all sense of the word, into a series of one up to gain more political power...without a strong, determined, and rightful central authority..not much can be done."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Arelyn

"Well, we'll just have to collect incontrovertible evidence that all their lives are on the line, then they'll band together against the common threat," Arelyn replied with a smile.
    TC for short