New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Looking for a word

Hello playground!

I'm looking for a word that I think exists but am not entirely sure. It simultaneously means two things: an acknowledgement that someone is your superior (i.e. like Lord, Sir, Commander, etc.) and that someone is a perfect example of their kind (i.e. like model or epitome).

The context: it's for a campaign, and it's the title for the commander of a race of genetically bred warriors. Their commander is considered to be almost demigod-like in importance and perfection by the average soldier, and I want to convey that with the title.

What I have so far: I was thinking maybe exemplar or possibly paragon. The closest that comes to conveying what I'm looking for is adonai, a Hebrew word for god that shares the same root as the word Adonis. It works, but I'm not sure if it works well enough.

As always, thanks for any and all help!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for a word

An Exemplar. A Paragon.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-06-06 at 10:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It involves some level of deliberate equivocation between two definitions while thoroughly dodging a few more, but "master" covers both of these. It fits as a title of high rank, it fits as a note for high skill, and if you use it as a suffix instead of a word it should hopefully avoid connotations from certain historical and contemporary uses. Armsmaster, Warmaster, that sort of thing.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Um... I am an Israeli, and speak Hebrew. "Adonai" has any relation to Adonis? I don't think so... It is used only to refer to the god (In Judaism. I'm non religious), since it's prohibited to directly say it's name (The third commandment). The namenliteraly means "My master/ My lord". The word itself bears no meaning of perfection or such... Also, I'd advise not using it with anyone knowing Judaism enough... it would feel weird... wjether your religious or not...

I haven't looked into it, but I think it has no connection to Adonis. The words come from different language origins.

As to your question, I'd suggest to go for a unique title, something to reflect the specific culture more. Some general ideas:
    - "<God's name> voice/ hand/ chosen/ prophet/ special military rank": Thus making the character a sort of the god's extension.
    - Same goes for any special local to the culture (Like a promised land, a longed for city, a local from a golden age in the past). This links the character to history more than religion.
    - The title can also reflected an ideal core theme of the culture. For example, if the culture reveres fire and honesty, it can be "The True Flame". If the culture revers their ancestors, and believe their greatest heroes become celestial bodies, the title could be "of the heavens/ rising moon/ descendant" and more...
    - The title can also refer to ideals the culture looks highly upon. "The pure/ The true/ The wise".

Just in general...
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2018-06-23 at 01:17 PM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"Ubermensch" would probably be the closest to what you're looking for.

Classically, this is basically what Hero used to mean. "Dude who is cooler than you and everyone you will ever know and also is a demigod probably".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hero is even closer than that, as it went on from its meaning of demigod in Greek to just meaning 'lord' by the time we get to medieval Latin. However, I imagine you wouldn't want to use that because it still exists in English and would be a bit too on the nose.

The Greek name Ἄδωνις does come from a Caananite stem which also led to the word adonai, but honestly I wouldn't go for it. The connotation of Adonis these days is more beauty than supersoldier, and I won't go into the religious side.

Personally, I like Exemplar best. Sounds cool while still being a real word, and it fits your needs.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

How about Alpha, in the hierarchical sense?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

There's also "His/Her Excellency".
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2018-06-07 at 07:55 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Adding my voice behind Exemplar. It sounds like it could be a high rank and means pretty much exactly what you want it to.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"Pinnacle"

"Zenith"

"The Man" (this last one is problematic, 'cause while it's a term of respect "You da Man", it also means tyrant or agent of tyranny "fight da Man" so YMMV).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Though I could not possibly spell it, I seem to remember in chinese it was something that sounded llike 'lauer shoor'... In context it would be ni hao ma, persons name, lauer shoor. Meaning the rough equivalent of 'hello, so and so, distinguished member of your particular field or 'with respect for the impressive work you do.'
    Last edited by VincentTakeda; 2018-06-07 at 12:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    An Exemplar. A Paragon.
    Exemplar is what I would have used.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Thanks for the advice everyone! Exemplar it is.

@Kol Korran: Thanks for the heads up. My fiance is Jewish and was the one who suggested adonai originally, but I knew I lacked the cultural context to make an accurate judgement call on whether or not it worked. She was pretty iffy on it too, but I really liked the sound of it. Thanks once again!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by VincentTakeda View Post
    Though I could not possibly spell it, I seem to remember in chinese it was something that sounded llike 'lauer shoor'... In context it would be ni hao ma, persons name, lauer shoor. Meaning the rough equivalent of 'hello, so and so, distinguished member of your particular field or 'with respect for the impressive work you do.'
    That sounds a lot like "Lao Shi" which literally just means teacher. Also, the ma in there changes it from a hello to a how are you.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2018-06-08 at 03:19 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    An Exemplar. A Paragon.
    Paragon was mine too

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also voicing Examplar, though Arete is a fun greek word from the Odyssey that might make a fun title.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lord-God-King

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alpha Nephilim is your word/title.