New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Doctor Who

Discussion for the massively influential multimedia franchise Doctor Who. I'm a big fan of it, myself, though I frequently express that admiration through complaining. I apologise for that ahead of time. To get this thread rolling, I'll kick us off with some boilerplate questions about the franchise.

When did you first get into it?
    Which is your favourite incarnation of The Doctor?
    Who is your favourite companion?
    What is your favourite story?
    How would you improve the show as it currently stands?
    Do you own any Doctor Who merchandise? If so, which one do you cherish the most?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who

We usually have pretty gigantic threads about it while it's on. Anyway.

When the first season of the new show came out. Wasn't on TV then, over here, of course,but a friend showed me and I was hooked. I remember being disappointed when they didn't show Space Rome in episode two.

On Television, David Tennant. I love how much energy he has. Capaldi would probably be up there, but he just had bad script after bad script. Sadly, I still only have seen a handful of the old show episodes. However, I have listened to just about everything Big Finish has put out, so my favourite overall is probably the Seventh Doctor, Sylvestor McCoy. Brilliant voice actor. Very, very dark interpretation of the doctor. Cunning, scheming, ruthless. Sometimes grim. Tries his best, doesn't always succeed.

From the show, Donna Noble, no contest. I literally squeed out loud (which I usually never do) when Big Finish announced they were going to do Tennant/Donna audio plays.
    . Mainly because she has her own thoughts, she doesn't take the doctor's **** and she doesn't swoon all over him.

I used to like Dr. Evelyn Smythe a lot, for similar reasons. It also helped that she was so unlike anything that was on TV at the time when I started to increasingly dislike the TV show. An older woman, smart, educated, capable, very calm. And similarly unlikely to just believe everything the Doctor said. Sadly, it's been a long time since she was on.

These days, I'll probably give the overall to Ace. Or Dorothy, as she now prefers to be called. She's interesting in that she is both a lot of fun in the ore lighthearted stories and also very good in some of the most relentingly bleak, dark and depressing Dr. Who ever got (believe me, Big Finish goes so much further with this than the new TV show ever did, it's no contest. Stuff has consequences. Main reason why I prefer it.)

I guess the take away here is that I like independent characters as companions who have their own goals and ideas and will tell the doctor in very certain terms when he's being a callous ******* again.

Dang, that's a hard one. I mean, there's like 200 from Big Finish and a lot of them blur together. Pass on this one.

Edit: one that comes to mind after some thinking is Spare Parts. The doctor arrives on a dying Mondas in the earliest stages of being cyber-converted. It's like Genesis of the Daleks, in a way, but for Cybermen. He tries to save them.

Well, they fired the showrunner, that was a good start. I might watch it again. I'd probably just nail a big list of theses to the doors of the studio for the writers:

-NO COMPANIONS IN LOVE WITH THE DOCTOR
    -THE UNIVERSE IS INFINITE IN TIME AND SPACE. MOST PEOPLE HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THE DOCTOR.
    -THE DOCTOR IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT
    -NO BIG MYTH ARCS
    -THINGS HAVE CONSEQUENCES. NO UNMAKING EVERYTHING
    -IF YOU GO DARK, SEE THINGS THROUGH

Do you own any Doctor Who merchandise? If so, which one do you cherish the most?
    Not really. I dont' do merch.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2018-01-07 at 09:45 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

About age 4. I had just seen ROTJ in the theaters and was hooked, and visited my grandparents. Grampa was a big fan of DW so sat and watched it with him. This was the American runs of DW on PBS, so they were a bit behind the times and didn't, IIRC show ever story.

Tom Baker. I'd like to say someone like Troughton or Hartnell, and they were amazing, but TB was my first Doctor and the best one in every respect.

The Brigadier. Honorable mentions to Romana, Jamie, Ace and Leela. He did get the best lines and played off the Doctors so well.

What's my favorite brick in the house?
    Probably something like "City of Death". I've watched that one so many times.

Well they already got rid of Moffat, so that's step one.
    2+: Get rid of everything Moffaty and RTD-y and focus on writing good standalone episodes without stupid end of season/end of time crises, not have the companions be more special and awesome than the Doctor, not have him be obsessed with his companions, pay more attention to what has gone before and try to have at least some attempt at continuity (e.g. remember that the Doctor knew Shakespeare from ages ago, and not write a stupid episode where he gushes like a fanboy over meeting him).
    EDIT: Eldan got most of the relevant points

Not much. A TARDIS coffee mug that has the TARDIS disappear from one side and reappear on the other when it gets warm. A few DW novelizations, some monster books and D4 dinosaur coloring book
    Last edited by BWR; 2018-01-07 at 09:45 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Man, the Seventh Doctor has so many good quotes, now that I'm digging through them.

Seventh Doctor: Are you looking for the butterfly?
    Ace: What, the one who beats its wings and it tips the balance so a hurricane forms? There isn't one, is there?
    Seventh Doctor: Not often. We just tell the butterflies that to keep them happy.
    Seventh Doctor: "I came here under a white flag, and I will leave under that same white flag. And Heaven help whoever gets in my way."
    Seventh Doctor: I REFUSE TO DIE! TO ELEVATOR MUSIC!!
    Davros: We shall become all—
    Seventh Doctor: Powerful! Crush the lesser races! Conquer the galaxy! Unimaginable power! Unlimited rice pudding! Etcetera, etcetera!
    Vi Yulquen: Are you... excited by violence?
    Seventh Doctor: No, I abhor it. And it is never the moral option.
    Vi Yulquen: And how would you know that?
    Seventh Doctor: I've seen things that would make you curl into a stuttering ball of denial for the rest your life! I've done those things. I've pulled a trigger, pressed a button, detonated a bomb. (sighs) It doesn't make you feel any better just because you win.
    Vi Yulquen: You're fortunate to have had the experience. You've made the choice not to be violent. Celia and I can't do that.
    Celia Fortunaté: It's simply a concept to us.
    Seventh Doctor: I know. I've seen it before; you remove and alter everything disagreeable to make yourself "better". You cut and you cut, but you cut too well and you find that the very thing you've rid yourself off, the very thing you are now denied, is what you so desperately want... I understand you. You're depraved on the account of being deprived.
    — "Red"
    Fenric: Kneel if you want the girl to live!
    The Doctor: Kill her.
    Fenric: The Time Lord finally understands.
    The Doctor: Do you think I didn't know? The chess set in Lady Peinforte's study? I knew.
    Fenric: Earlier than that. Before Cybermen, ever since Ice World, where you first met the girl.
    The Doctor: I knew. I knew she carried the evil inside her. Do you think I'd have chosen a social misfit if I hadn't known? She couldn't even pass her chemistry exams at School, and yet she manages to create a time storm in her bedroom. I saw it in your hand from the very beginning.
    Ace: [Horrified] Doctor, no.
    The Doctor: She's an emotional cripple. I wouldn't waste my time on her, unless I had to use her somehow.
    Ace: [Falls to her knees in despair] NO!
    Doctor: There. Both Morgan and Captain Aristodes. Back in their own time. They are both very resoureful. I'm sure they'll cope
    Ace: That's it, is it? Game over? Send them home? Simple as that? Not one Iota of human feeling...
    Doctor: I'm not human.
    Ace: No. And that's the problem.
    Doctor: Well, at least you are talking to me now. Ace, how long is this going to go on for? I'm sorry... you... it was a very brave thing he did... if it wasn't for...
    Ace: DON'T SAY HIS NAME! You don't get to say his name again.
    Doctor: He saved us all.
    Ace: I know. And you knew what we were walking into. You could have stopped it. It should never have come to that.
    Doctor: I tried, Ace. I tried to protect everyone. But things had gone... to far already.
    Ace: Hah. No kidding.
    Doctor: THere was nothing I could have done. Be thankful for th time we had with him. It was... a privilege.
    We should go somewhere. Take your mind off things!
    Ace: I. Don't. Want. To. Take. My mind off things. In case you'd forgotten I just watched my friend die back there.
    Doctor: I haven't forgotten. I let him down. I did my best.
    Ace: WELL, IT WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH!
    Doctor: I know and... I know. And I'm sorry.
    Ace: Do you even know what that means?
    Doctor: OF COURSE I KNOW WHAT IT MEANS! EVERYONE I EVER MET! EVERYONE I'LL EVER MEET! THEY ARE ALL DEAD, ACE! EVERY LAST ONE!
    Ace: What are you talking about...
    Doctor: Flick a switch and I can reach a time where every soul who ever set foot inside the TARDIS is long departed. Or... I could go back and see them. THe times where they are alive, somewhere, somewhen. They are all still there. Making tea. Walking the dog. Eating beans on toast. Living and breathing. Alive and dead. Everybody. All the time. And none of the time. IT's how it's always been for me. How it always will be.
    Ace: Alright then! What if I said I wanted to go and see him.
    Doctor: We... we can't.
    Ace: THen, what's the point of what you just said? What's the point of any of it? Dead is dead!
    Doctor: I know. But I can't take every loss to heart. I can't afford to... or... I'd... well, I just can't.
    Ace: For a bloke with two hearts, that's pretty heartless.
    Doctor: Please udnerstand, Ace. A timelord... it gives me a different perspective.
    Ace: Yeah? So, what's the view like, up there?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Man, the Seventh Doctor has so many good quotes, now that I'm digging through them.
    Red was just such a great story in the first place. Helps that Yi was none other than Sandi Tolksvig.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

On Television, David Tennant. I love how much energy he has. Capaldi would probably be up there, but he just had bad script after bad script.
    Capaldi was such a good Doctor, and its a real shame he never got the chance to shine under someone who isn't Moffat. I hope he gets in on the Big Finish stories cause i have a feeling he will do very well there

Spoiler: about the most recent christmas special
    Show

Oddly enough, I didnt hate this. I was really expecting some big flashy Moffat finish that resolves everything disappointingly and boringly, but it was surprisingly subdued. It fell flat in some places, but it really felt like a classic Moffat episode, the kind that originally made me excited he was taking over the show.

They really need to stop doing this "the doctor is visited by all their old companions before they regenerate"
    thing though its not interesting.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

I feel like I should answer my own questions, eh?

2007. Blink was the first episode I ever watched. I was 10.
    The First. The real First Doctor, too. Not whatever the heck that was at Christmas.
    Barbara. Watch The Aztecs and disagree.
    Farewell, Great Macedon overall, but The Aztecs for television.
    Complete overhaul. Many of the complaints have been addressed already but I'd like to add; "cut down on monster episodes" and "reinstate pure historicals"
    More books and CDs than I care to name. I have a copy of Lungbarrow that's pretty coveted.
    Last edited by Mokèlé-mbèmbé; 2018-01-07 at 11:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

When my dad for a copy of one of the Tom Basket episodes and showed it to me and my siblings, nearly fifteen years ago.

Tom Baker. I cannot tell you why, other than him being my first. Capaldi is my second favourite, although I've seen like two episodes due to the terrible scripts.

Harry. He just seemed intelligent, practicalish, and well rounded. Plus the first story I saw featured Harry.

Genesis of the Daleks. Not my favourite DW enemy, but the Daleks themselves aren't as important as everybody else, and I like how the story plays out.

Add more of a spirit of adventure, and remove all this annoying romance stuff from the show. I watched Doctor Who for alien monsters in fantastic quarries and lots of ruining, not this soap opera stuff.

I'd also redesign the TARDIS interior, have it go back to a more classic look. I don't really like any of the new series looks that much, they fell like they're trying too hard.

I have a remote control Dalek (annoyingly one of the new series bronze ones) and a T-shirt I often forget about. I used to have a couple of dolls (sorry, action figures) but they got thrown out.

I also own the entire RPG in PDF (thank you Humble Bundle), which is rather good. I'm holding off on buying a physical book until the inevitable next update for the new doctor, and hoping they'll put in pictures of a few more doctors at the same time (at least get some Eccles Cake in there, he was way better than Tennant).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Reruns in the 90's (I remember "The Daleks", "DIOEarth", "The Auton's" and a third doctor one involving the Dalek's and GenesisOTD)
    Consolidated by the target novelisations, and then when New Who came out with the old Dvd's

Definitely a soft spot for 2, probably because I saw fake1, 3,4 on reruns. but like most of them.

[I do also like] Harry. He just seemed intelligent, practicalish, and well rounded.
    I like Vicky's and Zoe's futureness (when they remembered). The radio show Klein (I think) was the most different and the last episode of that set featured an alternative universe companion.

I enjoyed Tomb in the books, and a lot of the actual episode. But it does show.

Add more of a spirit of adventure, and remove all this annoying romance stuff from the show. I watched Doctor Who for alien monsters in fantastic quarries and lots of ruining, not this soap opera stuff. [I might as well leave that here, also a smaller Dr, I mean I quite like the SpaceJesus stuff sometimes, more history or future]

Decent proportion of the classic DVD's (I think I have at least one with each companion in)
    Last edited by jayem; 2018-01-07 at 12:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Oddly, it was right around the long dark time that Doctor Who went off the air. I was fairly young, and it was being shown on public TV late on Friday nights. My dad took me with him to a friend's house so that he could play some D&D, I went back and forth between the dining room listening to my dad and his friends play games and the living room where I got to see a full Doctor Who story. I believe it might have been Planet of the Spiders, but I'm not certain about that. In that one night, I was introduced to two things I still love today.

Tough call, I like most of them in their own way. I'll narrow it down to two, old series - Pertwee and new series - Tennant (though Capaldi has really grown on me, and probably would have taken the cake if not for spending so long with Clara and poor scripts). Then there's McGann who shines in the few audio appearances I've heard with him, he was really given a raw deal, so I feel like I have to mention him.

Old series - the Brigadier. New series - Donna. You can probably tell I like companions who are good friends with the Doctor. Both of them eventually came to really respect the Doctor, but they were their own individuals too. They weren't afraid to tell the Doctor when he was wrong.

I just don't know if I can pick. One of the things I like most about Doctor Who is the infinite possibilities.

It has pretty much already been covered above. I'd like to reiterate that I want the writer's to really consider what is important about companions. Companion's should not be important to all of space/time. They are important to the Doctor. The Doctor is the hero of the story, but he can't really be that hero without companions to support him.

My favorite is probably my big fluffy Tardis blanket. Perfect for wrapping up with a snack and a DVD of a good episode.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

The revival in 2005.

Peter Capaldi.

Jamie.

The Doctor's Wife.

I don't think I can really answer this question, because as of right now we don't know how the show currently stands. Everything is being replaced. Ask me again once we've had a few episodes in series 11.

Nope.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

In 2005

David Tennant

Most of the companions are just that, companions. They are meant to be the normal person the Doctor explains things to so we can understand.
    They have their own character, skills and personality, but I can easily see how replacing one with another keeps the episode more or less the same.
    Donna Noble is the exception, and oh boy what a great exception!
    Can you even imagine any other companion going in an episode for a completely different story just because she didn't like the Doctor's idea of a fun place?

There are plenty to choose from, but if I have to pick just one it will be "The Girl in the Fireplace"

Go more for a good independent story and less for things you toss inside just to make us remember it's the Doctor (most common example, don't overuse the Daleks)

I own one sonic screwdriver.
    It's currently at work and I point it at the screen whenever I encounter a bug I can't fix. (usually doesn't work)

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Mokèlé-mbèmbé View Post

A Long time ago in the Time Before Time known as the 80's. Doctor Who was a bit more 'unknown' in America, but I heard about ''that British sci fi show''. And in Ye Old Days, Doctor Who was only shown on one place: Broadcast Analog PBS television. It was shown late at night, like 10 pm, and as I was a kid, I could not stay up and watch it. So I had to put a blank tape in the VCR(this was a machine that recorded TV shows) and just hit the 'record' button(I did not have the fancy type of VCR that you could program to record a show) and let it run out the tape. Then the next day I could watch it.

The first one I ever watched was the (colorized) Spearhead from Space with the Third Doctor...and I was hooked.

The Forth Doctor.

Sarah Jane Smith. Then Ramona, Leela, Donna and Amy.

Classic Who: Genesis of the Darleks
    New Who: The Fires of Pompeii

Not using the Darleks so much.

And I really, really, really, really wish they could just make a sci fi TV show and not be making Wacky One Sided Hyper- Political Brainwashing we get from way too many episodes. It's one thing to lie and say The Doctor does not use violence or kill (though he is a Murderhobo Demigod), but it's a whole other thing to write the whole episode all about ''how super-duper special peace is and how it always works if we just give peace a chance".

A lot less Earth. Sure The Doctor is ''stuck'' on Earth....but with all time and space he does not have to be there all the time.

A lot less monster nightmare episodes. They are classics and part of Who....but you don't need one an episode.

A lot less kids....like zero. None.

Tons of DVD's and books. Darlek salt and pepper shakers. A Fourth Doctor Scarf. Some shirts. Don't think I ''cherish'' any of it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I guess I should first say my passion for Who has dminished recently for no particular reason, honestly. But I've seen like three episodes of the latest season... I'll catch up... at some point.

Questions:
    1) I recall watching NuWho when it was aired in German and watching the first season rather enthusiastically unaware of any of the mythos behind the show. I watched a bit of the second one but then it vanished from my memory for quite a while... Frankly, I forgot how I got back into it. Somewhere around the end of the Tennant run. Then I watched quite dedicatedly and also a bit of older stuff. I got quite passionate over Smith's run...

2) Which is likely why he is my favorite Doctor. I have seen a bit of every one at least but... I don't know, I like him. I like the others, too, but not as much.

3) Much harder to answer... but being far more aware of NuWho than old and being a fan of Eleven... I think I have to go with Amy and Rori.

4) Uhm... nah. I can't pick one. I could name a few I loathe but picking a favorite? Hm... Maybe Day of the Doctor? I know many people dislike it but as someone who is not that familiar with the classics I thought it was a pretty good anniversary.

5) MIght answer that after finishing the latest season.

6) I don't do merch much... I have a few things from Who, though. I guess if I had to pick it'd be my self-made 4th scarf but even that is... something I have rarely an occasion to wear.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

1) First season of the New Series.

2) Huh. Difficult. I have a top 3, but who gets which position usually depends on my mood.
    So in no specific order: War, Eleven, Twelve.

3) River Song. Because anyone who can intimate a Dalek is cool in my book.

4) Day of the Doctor.

5) No idea really. Maybe not attaching a big mystery to a companion for a while.

6) Do DVDs count?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I actually started watching way back in the Third Doctor's era, but I wasn't really into it that much at the time--it was something we watched because my brother liked it. I happened to catch "The Empty Child" after the show was revived, and got hooked (though even then, I didn't start watching regularly until the Eleventh Doctor when I starting getting BBC America, because I never really knew when SyFy was going to being running the show).

Tough question, but I guess I'll go with Four.

Roy.

"The Girl Who Waited".

Already been pretty well answered by others; I agree with most of what has been posted. Also, I wish they would produce more episodes each year, but unfortunately they're going the opposite way.

Do you own any Doctor Who merchandise? If so, which one do you cherish the most?[/QUOTE]

Just some DVDs. Ideally, I'd like to collect all the episodes that are available, but I'm having to go slowly because of budgetary reasons. I'm not really into collectibles, so I'm not particularly interested in other merchandise.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

When did you first get into it ?

I vaguely remembering watching some of the Pertwee epsiodes when I was very young but it wasn't until Tom Baker that I really got into it.

Tom Baker, my first Doctor and still the best

Er.........K9, no Jamie, no Ace, no Romana. Ok, if I have to take one I think it will be Donna

Remembrance of the Daleks

Less lonely God and more madman with a box. Also a alien companion would be nice

A few books and DVD's but I like my remote controlled Daleks the best
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2018-01-10 at 08:37 AM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I may have seen some of the old series before hand, but the first time I actually sought out the show was the new series. I saw the first episode when it hit the states and have seen everything since, including looking into older stuff as well.

Capaldi should have this nailed, but the writing absolutely sucked in his tenure. Honestly, it's only his performance that made a lot of it watchable. Tennant comes in second, but there are a lot of good stories he was in that were more enjoyable than most of Capaldi's fare.

Donna. She was just so much... more than other companions. She didn't hesitate to call the old man out whenever he got out of line, or anyone else for that matter. She had her own personal reaction to things, acting as a player in events rather than an observer. And when she said "I bloody love you" to the Doctor, it was clear she meant how much fun it was to travel with him rather than any romantic angle. She was older than usual companions and, while attractive, not a bombshell just there to be eye candy. This meant that the writers treated her as an actual person rather than a decoration.

Amusingly, Amy is my second favorite, despite definitely being a bombshell who was often enough a decoration. The actress clearly enjoyed the role and it made watching her performance enjoyable as well. Or maybe I just have a softspot for spicy redheads.

Oh boy. So many. I'm tempted to cheat and say this last Christmas special: Twice upon a time. I've got a major soft spot for the first Doctor and watching him being brought back in a modern story was wonderful, and Capaldi was at his best. The reveals over the course of the episode were well done and interesting. And, possibly the best bit, the contrast between the First and Twelfth Doctors really drives home how much he's grown over the centuries. It was also just fun to see just how much attitudes have shifted since Hartnel's era, as Capaldi is repeatedly embarrassed by his original's commentary.

The Doctor should not be human. No romance (outside of other Time Lords, I can tolerate River and Romana, but he should not reciprocate with humans). Also, he's at his best when he's not a hero - just a madman in a box, just stopping to help as he passes by.

Not really. I don't go after merchandise as a rule.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

On the subject of 7th Doctor quotes

Destroyer of Worlds: Can this world do no better than you as its champion?
    Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart: Probably. I just do the best I can.
    *kills the Destroyer of Worlds*

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

When did you first get into it? Really can't remember

Which is your favourite incarnation of The Doctor? Tom Baker and his jelly babies

Who is your favourite companion? River Song

What is your favourite story? Does the Rowan Atkinson parody count?

How would you improve the show as it currently stands? Not sure; maybe give the Doctors longer tenure.

Do you own any Doctor Who merchandise? If so, which one do you cherish the most? My Timey Wimey T-shirt
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

When did you first get into it? June 2017.
    Which is your favourite incarnation of The Doctor? Matt Smith.
    Who is your favourite companion? Clara or Donna.
    What is your favourite story? Probably the Day of the Moon.
    How would you improve the show as it currently stands? Idk. The next Doctor hasn't done any full episodes yet.
    Do you own any Doctor Who merchandise? If so, which one do you cherish the most? My "bow ties are cool" bow tie.
    Welcome to more wonderful tomfoolery, scandal, adventure, and murdering of horrible, horrible frogs!

Always take ranks in profession (dungeon inspector)

Amazing avatar by the magnificent Linkele

GNU Terry Pratchett

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime.
    Teach him to steal, and he won't have to eat fish for the rest of his life."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

When did you first get into it? I think it was probably with series 1. I didn't properly get super into until a friend took me to a viewing our uni's DocSoc was doing.

Which is your favourite incarnation of The Doctor? Sixey, gotta love the coat.

Who is your favourite companion? I dunno. TV wise, I don't think I have a favourite companion. I mean I like Rose less than others, but no one person really out shines the rest for me.

Eldan already mention Evelyn, but I just want to rattle of names of others I like from Big Finish. Hex, Charlie, Klein, Molly & Liv.

What is your favourite story? Let's just pick Day of the Doctor at random. Big Finish wise, it's gotta be A Death in the Family.

How would you improve the show as it currently stands? Go back in time and tell Jenna to make up her mind about staying or leaving sooner, so Moffat doesn't have to write her out of the show like 3 times.
    Seriously though, I have no idea how to improve the show. I'm very uncritical when it comes to Doctor Who.

Do you own any Doctor Who merchandise? If so, which one do you cherish the most? Merchandise is such a crass word for the 12' scarf my Mum knitted for me.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Oh, on the merchandise bit, I forgot that I do have a few Doctor Who comics.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

I get that pure historicals likely aren't very profitable or marketable, but they were consistently the best part about the classic series and they remain consistently the best part about the EU.

Catch up, new series.

25. - Top - End - #25

I get that pure historicals likely aren't very profitable or marketable, but they were consistently the best part about the classic series and they remain consistently the best part about the EU.
    Do you mean pure history ones? Or the Aliens in King Author's Court type ones?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    Do you mean pure history ones? Or the Aliens in King Author's Court type ones?
    Pure historicals.

27. - Top - End - #27

Pure historicals.
    I wonder what pure historicals you think are good ones?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    I wonder what pure historicals you think are good ones?
    Most of them.

The Aztecs
    Farewell, Great Macedon
    Marco Polo
    The Massacre
    The Crusade
    The Myth Makers
    The Romans
    The Reign of Terror
    The Roundheads
    The Wrath of the Iceni
    The Juggernaut

Just off the top of my head.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Tom Baker reruns in late 70s starting with Power Of Kroll. Didn't know what it was, only that it was a sci-fi show from England. Didn't get to watch much of it. It would be many years later in the 80s that PBS was able to dedicate time to the show starting with Hartnell.

Jon Pertwee
    He was so British.

Honorable mention to David Tennant
    He was fun!

Adric

Pex wasn't a companion.

Honorable mention to River Song and Jack Harkness

Blink

Get rid of the political preaching.

I have the first few seasons of New Who dvds.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Most of them.

The Aztecs
    Farewell, Great Macedon
    Marco Polo
    The Massacre
    The Crusade
    The Myth Makers
    The Romans