New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Vishkanya sleep poison?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial...enom-vishkanya

So...If I'm reading the poison rules correctly, the first save would be against stagger, and the following ones would be sleep for 1 minute? And it can be used multiple times per day. Isn't that kinda insane for a Paizo race? Definitely not what I'd expect. Also, although it says you envenom the weapon, there's nothing that says the venom can't be taken from the weapon, and then stored, right (say, if you've got uses left before bed time)?

So, anyway, I was looking for a way to optimally use it. First off is at least an Alchemist (Metamorph) 1 / Barbarian (Titan Mauler) 1 for +8 to Con, and bonus to hit when being small (when you're against poison-vulnerable units). I was thinking about just finishing the rest of the build off with more Alchemist levels. I mean, it's moderately well rounded, and can help with poison discoveries but doesn't really scale with Con. Is there some better Con-based class I can take?

I could definitely go for Sage and eventually gain an additional +10 to Con, and +6 Enhancement, and be able to build a pretty well-rounded character. But, I think I want to lay off of SoP for now, for the large part....exception being to the Dual Wield sphere, as feats.

...And Alchemy talents, like Lasting Application, Specialized Venom for those pesky things that were once immune to your poison, and Skilled Applicator if using Alchemist's Concentrate Poison, so I can use it swiftly. It seems somewhat dubious as it must be used within an hour of concentration, so you can't just do it at the start of the day, and yet it takes a minute to concentrate, so you can't do it before you bash down a door. Concentrate Poison seems pretty hard to just casually fit in.

As far as equipment goes, Poisoning Sheath looks decent enough, especially for using Concentrated Poison without needing Skilled Applicator, and only 50 gold each. A Pink Rhomboid Ioun Stone is also a good, early +2 Enhancement bonus to Con. Toxic daggers seem like good investments.

Anything else that I'm blatantly missing that would help?
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2018-02-20 at 04:52 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Vishkanya sleep poison?

Nope, you canīt remove the venom from a weapon and store it for the remaining usage, but there're some venom-based weapon enhancements that can deal with that, at least prolonging the use and raising the DC, while a Vishkanya Periapt will get you 2 more uses and also raise the DC.

The problem I see with your build suggestion is that it raises the DC due to temporary CON push, but that doesn't give you additional uses of poisons, so adding more sources of poison seems feasible, so maybe Bloodrager with the Naga bloodline?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Nope, you canīt remove the venom from a weapon and store it for the remaining usage, but there're some venom-based weapon enhancements that can deal with that, at least prolonging the use and raising the DC, while a Vishkanya Periapt will get you 2 more uses and also raise the DC.

The problem I see with your build suggestion is that it raises the DC due to temporary CON push, but that doesn't give you additional uses of poisons, so adding more sources of poison seems feasible, so maybe Bloodrager with the Naga bloodline?
    Darn. Well, no extracting poison by milking yourself. But that Periapt is really nice. Not even all that expensive either. The Bloodrager dip is really great, because that's an extra 8 rounds of rage for one level (at 18 CON), as compared to just 2 for advancing barbarian.

I, however, fail to see a Naga bloodline, aside from the sorcerer one, which is...cool...but probably not what you intend to point at?

If you've got point buy, you can get 18 con for 4 uses per day, multiplied by 2 Lasting Application. Assuming a fairly dismal 50% success rate, given the investment, you would have 2 kills per day because it gets 2 saves before unconsciousness.
    If 75%, then 4.5 (effective) kills per day.

Yeah. Could probably do with a couple more uses.

Of course, for groups of small things, you are still a raging barbarian, with the option of increasing your size, and just slamming them with a big stick.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial...enom-vishkanya

So...If I'm reading the poison rules correctly, the first save would be against stagger, and the following ones would be sleep for 1 minute? And it can be used multiple times per day.
    Yes, though of course for the "multiple times per day" you'll need 14+ Con.

Isn't that kinda insane for a Paizo race? Definitely not what I'd expect.
    Not really? Seems in line with other "feat that powers up my racial" add-ons. When you consider that the others can grant stuff like a ranged blind, pounce, shapeshifting, and extra limbs, slow-acting drow sleep poison is tame really.

Also, although it says you envenom the weapon, there's nothing that says the venom can't be taken from the weapon, and then stored, right (say, if you've got uses left before bed time)?
    As Florian pointed out, this is Air Bud Clause - you need an ability that allows you to scrape your poison off the weapon, rather than "the rules don't say I can't."

Anything else that I'm blatantly missing that would help?
    Can't help you with the Spheres stuff, but in general - poison rapidly falls off in effectiveness, both because fort saves tend to increase the fastest (lots of high-level monsters are fat), and tons of things are resistant or outright immune to poison later on. So you'll want a backup plan of some sort. Poison is generally a lower-level threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

, however, fail to see a Naga bloodline, aside from the sorcerer one, which is...cool...but probably not what you intend to point at?
    Blood of the Beast has two Naga bloodlines, one for Bloodrager, one for Sorcerer. Both are on p. 16.

The Bloodrager one gives you a natural bite attack (Counts as magic, will scale up to 1d10) and adds a permanent 1d2 Con dmg poison to it at 12th, following the usual CON-based DC formula.