New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default The Pridelands of Alumara: A Pathfinder Beastlands Campaign

So for the past 2 years I have been working on my own home-brew world called Alumara that I had originally started playing in D&D 3.5 but eventually transferred all my info to Pathfinder rules. It is a continental world much like Pangaea, but it is set apart from Golarion as it is located in the Beastlands(originally in D&D, i have used Pathfinder's plane building rules to remake it in my own image), a demiplane just between Elysium and the Material Plane. Inhabited by mainly Anthropomorphic Races (Catfolk, Tengu, Kitsune, etc.) I just want to clarify for my own sake that this is in no way shape or form a FURRY game. Not trying to offend anyone, but I'm not a fan of it and I will not label my game as such.
    IRL I ran 5 friends through this world in a level 1-20 campaign that was about divine intervention, planar catastrophes, and colossal Cthulhu like creatures. This time I want to run another level 1-20 Mythic Campaign through this world on the PbP forums that will be more of a sandbox game but that won't be for some time. So for now I will post the BIG16 about the campaign with most of the information about this world and it's inhabitants (which includes a whole new pantheon of gods and goddesses. At the moment I only have a crudely edited map of the land that I had originally drawn but had to fix once I had scanned it. I think it came out okay and briefly shows the features of, Alumara.
    Spoiler: The Big 16 of Alumara
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Pathfinder Mythic Adventures, previously was made by me in D&D3.5 but I transferred what I could (damn you mind flayers, you'd make good octopus people)
    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Alumara: A homebrew world made by me a few years ago set in the Beastlands, which consists of mainly Anthropomorphic races. Within the Beastlands is a world known as Krigala, which has been changed to Alumara. The River Oceanus used to flow through all of Alumara. Many lakes dot the plains in between the lush forests. Day and night does not occur normally on Alumara, but a continual late afternoon sun fills the sky. Gentle rains occur once per day allowing some measure of time passing. The borders of all lands end in large clouds of mist that seemly lead to nowhere except down.
    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    4-6. If anyone drops, (I'm hoping not but things happen) I'll open up a re-recruitment thread.
    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Giant in the Playground IC and OOC threads
    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    1st Level +1 Mythic Tier, and we'll be using Background Skills.
    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Average wealth by class
    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Anthromorphs can take any classes that are 1st party Paizo (I will also be including the occult classes) But they tend to take non-technical classes.
    Spoiler: Examples
    Show

A Barbarian or Cleric instead of a rogue or monk
    A Sorcerer or Druid instead of a wizard or bard
    A Witch instead of a magus or alchemist
    An Oracle instead of an arcanist or warpriest
    A Medium or Shaman instead of a psychic or mesmerist

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Unfortunately due to the world I have created there is a limited amount of races but there are variations of a lot of the Anthropomorphic races.
    Spoiler: A Plethera of Alumaran Races
    Show

Catfolk: any breed of cat including all big cats like panther, tiger, cougar
    Gnolls: quite literally Hyena people
    Lizardfolk: any kind includes crocs, snakes, etc.
    Kitsune: obviously fox people
    Monkey Goblin: barbaric monkey race
    Pigfolk: Use the stats for dwarves, basically a Hill Dwarf
    Ramfolk: Use Dwarf stats, basically Mountain Dwarves
    Moosefolk: Use Elf stats, basically high elves
    Deerfolk: Use Half-Elf stats, basically woodland elves
    Rabbitfolk: Use Halfling stats, lives among most other races
    Kobolds: barbaric tribal lizards
    Bisonfolk: Use Orc stats
    Boarfolk: Use Half-Orc stats
    Tengu: usually wandering witches who only on special occasion form covens
    Grippli: Tribal frog people usually living in marshes
    Vanara: a race of civilized monkeys that live high in tree fort villages
    Wyvaran: Usually the tribal chiefs, or other high rank, of Kobold villages
    Ghoran: Wandering Plant people
    Gillmen: Are now a species of Shark & Orca like people
    Ratfolk: Culture much the same. Only species to have entered the Human city
    Strix: A variety of bird species except raven and crow
    Raccoon & Squirrelfolk: Use Gnome stats
    Molefolk: This species varies in size, Use either Duergar or Svirfneblin stats
    Nagaji: Royal lizardfolk who live in desert palaces
    *Note:The only way to play a Human is to start as a Lycanthrope, but due to the powerful planer magic you are stuck in permanent Hybrid form and have been exiled from the city of Kho)
    **If you have a personal favorite animal or want to play a different animal than what I have listed, Just PM me and I will see what I can make up to fit your character idea.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    27 point buy. No ability score should be lower than 7 before applying any racial bonuses. Max hit die at 1st level, then average HP per level afterwords(1d6=4,1d8=6,1d10=8,1d12=10)
    10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Yes. No Evil. The Beastlands is a Heavy Neutral-Slightly Chaotic-Slightly Good plane and it's denizens usually reflect that.
    11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    You can freely multi-class after leveling up. You can also use the variant multi-class rules but i ask that you stick to those 20 levels and not take any other classes other than the two.
    12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    You make all the PC rolls and I'll make the rest of the rolls, cool?
    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    Many things to learn here about my homebrew world called ALUMARA! It is a sandbox type world that consists of a Pangaea sized continent. The NPCs range from 1st-20th lvl so judge your surroundings and watch who you make angry. My plan is for you to explore and learn about this world the further you travel.
    Spoiler: The Countries of Alumara
    Show

Kho
    (as in the lost city of Kho) is a Human only city that has always been revered for its magic and science. So much so, that every Human in Alumaran history is some form of Mage. Not much is know how the city of Kho magically appeared in the middle of Alumara. Rumors are that something went wrong with their scientific magic of teleporting thrusters built into the underbelly of the city. Many run-down megalithic buildings (like in Judge Dredd) house the poor families of the Kho people, while the nobles live in massive palaces where their roads are paved in concrete, and stagecoach constructs and magical electric powered rail cars bring people around the city in almost no time at all. The military corp stationed around Kho are Eldritch knights who specialize in rifles and anti-magic abilities.
    Felantix
    (A Roman Empire like culture) They have a temporary treaty with the Kaiten people after the arrival of Kho. The numerous marbled cities are mainly filled with Catfolk(70%), The other 30% is a mixture of Bison,Mole,Raccoon,Birds,and Rabbits.
    Kaiten
    (Ancient Greek like culture) A human race of Werewolves(NG) who have embraced their inner animal after many years of training. They live well along many other species (even though Kaitens and Felantix have had many feuds. some innate aggression towards another causes many social occasions to end in drunken brawls around temples and coliseums)
    Shukamor
    (Ancient Egypt culture) Mainly ruled by only Lizards with Gnolls who usually work as servants. They are very protective of their lands so very few are actually allowed into their lands. They have many guards wandering the deserts, watch your step.
    Gigantus Isles
    (Excluded islands where many tribes of hermit Giants live and battle back and forth for territory of the isles. Some species of Anthros have made tribes there as well like Mammoths, Wooly Rhynos, WerePolarBears, etc.
    Lumberg
    (Strong hints of many different Oriental cultures) Many werebears live as lumberjacks, others races include Deer, Rabbit, Raccoon, Monkeys, Many different Weres, Birds, Frogs, Lizards, Goats, Squirrels, Small amount of cats (Basically Lumberg is home to all species minus humans)
    Oceanis
    A domed metropolis where all under water humanoids live. After the coming of Kho, the original river that flowed through Krigala (Oceanus) had to be evacuated and work began on a completely water filled city with the help of all the other Anthro species. Now they live secluded but happy for now. The races include Merfolk, Gillmen, Otters, etc.
    The Den
    The home of an evil human race of Werelions(LE) who have been pushed into this nearly uninhabitable wasteland by the species of Shukamor and Lumberg

Spoiler: Short Alumaran History
    Show
    In -632AR, Kho was supposedly attacked and its powerful magic engines brought crumbling down. But that was only part of the city. Thousands more survived the attack and were somehow harness another mighty magical force that was able to make their engines fly far into a distant plane. No other choice but survival, they flew away, teleporting just above the continent of Alumara where their engines began to fail and the city plummeted to the ground. Many wars ensued in the coming years as anger grew between the Humans and Anthros. One side thinking them nothing but wandering animals meant to be hunted for survival, and the other side angry for the deaths of thousands of their kin during 'Sky Fall'. Within the last 800 years, Asenrir has spent training her apprentice pantheon to help serve the Anthros be rid of the Humans. But some unknown force has awakened and now stolen Asenrir's divinity. Without it the plane of Alumara will start to decay and wither. With her last bit of effort she has sent her apprentices to bestow power to their own apprentices (That being the PCs). With new divine power flowing through, these Heroes must push back the forces of Humans hunting down anthro-kind, and discover this mysterious presence who wishes nothing more but your utter destruction.

Spoiler: Alumaran Deities
    Show

Main God(dess)
    Asenrir (NG), the Mother of Anthros. Domains: Good, Animals, Earth, Plants. Born a werewolf and lost in a vast forest confused and scared, she became friends with the animals of the land eventually tapping into the magical essence of the plane. Centuries later she achieved divinity and learned how to make her animals more like her. They accepted her gift and after a millennia she has become the God of a chosen few apprentices who became the lower gods of Alumara.
    Lower Gods include:
    Sun Wukong (CG) The Monkey King. Domains: Chaos, Glory, Whimsy
    Shkul Xiaotou (CN) The Rat King. Domains: Thievery, Tactics, Ambush
    Zhu Gyun (NG) The Wandering God. Domains: Good, Travel, Luck
    Gong Ji (N) The Hawk Watcher. Domains: Knowledge, Revelation, Solitude
    Shawn Yang (LG) The Ram Teacher. Domains: Rites, Artifice, Education
    Maw Jiangu (LG) The Holy Moose. Domains: Protection, Healing, Leadership
    She Xunsu (CN) The Serpent Goddess. Domains: Charm, Venom, Liberation, Music
    Ti Long (LE) The Dragon Sorcerer. Domains: Dragons, Magic, Espionage, Fear
    Tuzi Kekao (LN) The Banker Rabbit. Domains: Abundance(family), Legislation, Aristocracy
    Jin Lao (LN) The Panther Brother. Domains: Discipline(honor), Fur, Fist
    Boi Weiku (NG) The Oxen Father. Domains: Strength, Wild Beasts(ferocity), Redemption

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Just skirt length, i'm not asking for an essay. Should include some personal desires, hobbies, dislikes, etc. To help I'm allowing all PCs to have 2 traits. 1 of which MUST be the Reincarnated Trait. You can take 1 drawback to gain only 1 more trait.
    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, role playing, or a combination of the above?
    I hope to have a mixture of all three, but I could be lacking in puzzle-solving. This is going to a more mature game. Doing drugs and other such illicit activities can happen in character so you should be okay with such themes beforehand. (not quite xxx, more NC-17)
    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rule books and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Pathfinder 1st party material only. I will be adding some feats of my own called Anthropomorphic Feats, that can enhance some animalistic features or let you gain new ones (like growing horns for a gore attack, or better Fly spd).

Anyways, that about gives all the races, countries, and deities of Alumara along with actual info about how the game will be ran when I do get around to running it. I'd appreciate any feedback, if you like the idea, hate it, whatever, I'd still like to know. And like I said up above, I don't plan on starting this game anytime soon. Give me awhile to get accustomed to the forum's PbP and I'll see about putting this up in the Recruiting Players Thread!
    Last edited by GideonBurkheart; 2018-01-18 at 05:17 PM.
    Spoiler: Currently Made Characters
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: The Pridelands of Alumara: A Pathfinder Beastlands Campaign

Your Lost City appears to be about a fifth of the available space. Is this correct? Or is that simply an Himilaya type mountain range with a Shangri-la?

Tell me about your different lands and people.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: The Pridelands of Alumara: A Pathfinder Beastlands Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Your Lost City appears to be about a fifth of the available space. Is this correct? Or is that simply an Himilaya type mountain range with a Shangri-la?

Tell me about your different lands and people.
    It's actually supposed to be that size. The city keeps expanding in size the bigger the Human pop. gets. The mages quite literally are shaping the lands how they like and building more and more gigantic city walls to keep the animals out. They plan to take over the whole world eventually for themselves basically and over 800 years that's all they've actually managed to claim.
    EditSo it's quite literally become it's own country now, not just a city.

And now that you mention it, I used to have a bunch of pages somewhere with many many npc's and the individual cities. I'll have to add those later on, but for now they just have their (generic real life) cultures listed like Egyptian and Greek (located in the Big16, along with all the current races in the world)
    Last edited by GideonBurkheart; 2018-01-18 at 06:02 PM.
    Spoiler: Currently Made Characters
    Show