New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The messengers

1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The messengers

You cross the anciant walls, that mark the end of the human kingdoms. You tread carefully, and suspect dangers from every bush, behind every tree. But nothing happens, altough you have the feeling that you're being watched right now. But how hard you look, you can't see noone, so it might have just been the trick of your exaggerated senses.

The road does not contine on the other side, in fact it ended a mile before, on the human side.
    Last edited by amanodel; 2008-01-24 at 12:20 PM.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

"Must've scared 'em all away with your jabbering. A real shame, that. So... does anyone know which way the elves are?" Despite what he says, Dagg draws his weapons as he enters the forest, though he doesn't appear to be paying attention to any potential dangers.

Spoiler
    Show
    If someone knows the direction, he'll make a survival check to find a way through the forest.
    Survival Check - (1d20+7)[17]

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

Ozz grunts at Dagg's comment. "'Course Ah can find it! Even elves leave trails!" The goblin's bow is still in hand with an arrow knocked and undrawn.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid Dagg's check; Survival: (1d20+9)[22]
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dafydd

Once on the other side of the wall, and officially in the Elven Forest proper, Dafydd takes a deep, satisfied breath. "Well, friends, I welcome you to my homeland. No place in this world more serene, pleasant...oh, and there's nothing like a good elven girl for looks, though I may be a little biased about that.

Honestly, I don't know what direction we're going, though. When I came to human lands long ago, it was with a group of travelers, and I didn't really pay attention...
    Dafydd scratches the back of his head, a little embarrassed.
    Proud Happy Biscuit (TM) salesman

avatar: Fence the gypsy halfling rogue by Sampi

5. - Top - End - #365

BardGuy

Kaz

"Well, shouldn't we just continue the way we're going? I'm sure Ozz can track the elves." Its been too long since I was here...i don't remember which way to go either.

6. - Top - End - #366

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos

"Well this is my first trip into the elven lands, so I place myself into ya'lls capable hands," Karos says with a grin but he keeps his senses alert and draws his mace to be safe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot:(1d20+3)[4]
    Listen:(1d20+3)[4]

edit: wow...so those rolls make me oblivious to a collosal dragon five feet in front of me
    Last edited by bchilders; 2008-01-26 at 04:22 PM.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

7. - Top - End - #367

There were no rods, only mere trails in the forest, and you were sloved down, since you had to fight with the trees and undergrowth some time to get further, altough Ozzgar's instics saved you from doing it too often, the small goblin managed to find a walkable route most of the time. Sooner than you'd thought, the sun begun to settle down, when you reached a small clearing. It was like a half-dried marsh, and terrible smells attacked your nostrils, but amongst it you reckognized the unmistakeable stench of rotting flesh. Thanks to the ghoul a few night before, even those became familiar with it who weren't so by the time.

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

"Och! What an incredible smell we've discovered! Ah can nae believe anyone'd alloo this ta ferment like 'tis! 'Slike a year-old ale left oot in th' sun! With sommun's dead granny's foot tossed in," Ozz growls through the hand covering his mouth and nose.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-01-30 at 05:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #369

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos

Karos couldn't help but laugh out loud even though he attempted to hold it in, "Never heard such a colorful description." Karos looks over toward the goblin and says with a chuckle, "I knew you'd lead us to something interesting but this is.....unexpected."
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

10. - Top - End - #370

BardGuy

'Great, another one. Everyone awake this time?" Kaz draws his shortbow and looks around for the source of the smell.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

"The last one was barely worth waking up for anyways. Maybe we'll get a real fight this time, even if it is just against a smell." Dagg draws his axes and looks around for the source of the stench.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+2)[8]
    Listen - (1d20+2)[8]

12. - Top - End - #372

eek Re: The messengers

You wait for long seconds, looking for another ghoul jumping at you, but no such thing happens. Still cautiously, you start to look around. The smell gets stronger with every step you take. Finally, Ozzgar spots something meaty hanging from a large, old tree. Getting closer, you can see that there are two humanoid corpses hanging upside down from the tree, brutally skinned and dismembered. But their faces, bloody they might be, are still in relatively good condition.

You most likely to shiver from fear when you reckognize Cannol and Eammon, your previous companions, who disappeared on the night of the ghast attack. No obvious signs tell what happened to them, but from the remains, their end must have been terrifying.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg shivers when he eventually sees the corpses. "Anyone else get the feeling maybe the elves don't want us here?" Dagg's stare is fixed at the corpses, almost entranced, until he shakes himself violently and pointedly keeps his gaze off them.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin gasps. "Great Googelly Moogelly!" he stammers as he stares in disbelief at the corpses of his former companions. "Ah dinnae think tha' was elvish doin's, Dagg. Ah'm thinkin' oor adversaries got wind o' oor mission, an're tryin' ta make a statement."

Ozz looks at Dagg and the others for a moment, then back at the pair in the tree. His brow furrows in anger and his mouth opens enough to show his many sharp teeth. "Bastards don' ken me well, Ah tell yoo tha'! Ah'ma get'm doon so's we can burry 'em, then bless 'em an finish this mission so's Ah can get ta killin' somma 'em!" He looks to Dafydd and Kaz for consent as he replaces his bow and arrow to his quiver and draws his scimitar, in preparation.

15. - Top - End - #375

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos

Karos looks to his new companions and sees more than just disgust at this brutal display. "Did you know these two?" he asks to no one in particular.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

"Friends. Part o' oor mission. They disappeared withoot a trace th' same night we fought a ghast in some ol' rooins," Ozz growls. It is clear the goblin is upset and close to exploding.

"Let's get 'em doon an' clean. Ah wanna moove on's soon as we can." He inspects the tree and the area around it for any possible traps or snares. "Be vigilant!" he hisses as he searches.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+7)[25]

17. - Top - End - #377

Ozzgar doesn't find any traps, it seems that the corpses of your former comapions were hanged on the trees without such purpose. Instead, Ozz will find certain evidences which point out that who hanged this two man, were light, agile creatures, with a small build.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

Ozz grunts. "Nothin' Ah can see,"the goblin mutters as he releases the bonds holding his former companions and gently lowers them to the ground. "Stay back a bit, thoo. There's tracks Ah'm tryin' ta identify an' maybe folloo," he remands the others as he ponders the tracks he found.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (nature): (1d20+9)[29] to identify; other options? Familiar at all? Lighter than himself? Smaller than himself?

19. - Top - End - #379

Ozzgars knowledge of every kind of bipedal humanoid is vast, and he can easily identify the tracks. To him, it is clear that the track, barely even visible to the others, were made by creatures very similar to himself. Most of the tracks are from goblins and gnomes. Strange thing that, according to the trails, none of them were wearing any kind of shoes.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

"Kobolds?" he whispers softly in disbelief as he recognizes the tracks. "Whot're they dooin'?"

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg looks downcast as he hears the news of kobolds. "Well, it wasn't likely to be giants anyway, I suppose. Let's get those two down, then." He climbs the tree and once at the top will untie the ropes holding them up, trying to lower them to the ground gently, shouting, "Catch!" if he cannot.

He'll begin to dig a shallow grave once they're on the ground.

22. - Top - End - #382

Dafydd

Dafydd prays silently over the two fallen once they are buried. He is a jovial and lighthearted person by nature, and in such sorrowful occasions, he often finds himself without anything to say.

"We should try to avenge them. Bring the killers to justice." Dafydd looks at the others to gauge their thoughts.

23. - Top - End - #383

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos

Karos looks to Dafydd and says, "Now that is something I can agree with." He says his own prayers and helps with the digging of the graves.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg stands awkwardly once the two are buried. "I uh... didn't know them very well. What I do know, though, is that they were good fighters, and brave people. And that they will be avenged." Looking more relaxed as his short speech ends, he moves off a little and purposefully begins sharpening his axes.
    Last edited by Dethcom1; 2008-02-07 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling

25. - Top - End - #385

BardGuy

Kaz

Rendered speechless by the brutality, Kaz stares at the bodies, oblivious to Ozz's question. Snapping out of it, Kaz assists digging and lowering the bodies in any way he can, saying a quick prayer to himself. At the sound of vengeance, he grimaces. "I agree. We'll get whatever did this first and then get to the elves. Ozz, you said they were kobolds? Any idea where they could be hiding?"

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

Ozzgar nods to Kaz. "Aye. 'Course Ah can track 'em. Gimme a mooment, hm?" he grunts as he starts singling out patterns of movement amongst the tracks, seeking their return path.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+7)[15]
    Survival: (1d20+9)[25]
    So now we're Vengeance Force Five!
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-02-07 at 11:14 AM.

27. - Top - End - #387

It takes Ozz two hard minutes until he finds the leaving kobold tracks in the marsh, but he finally he finds them, and from then, he's like a bloodhound which smelled the prey. He proves himself worthy of his nickname, the Wolf.

The trail lead you to the deep woods, where the sun is barely visible from the giant, fewhundred years old trees, and you can barely see the ground from the various poisonous gases coming from the rotting ground.

Fort Save vs DC 12 or become sickened as long as the party stays in the marsh.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin is unusually quiet, making no attempts at speech, merely leading the others where the tracks tell him to go. As the group enters the most fetid area of the marsh, he gags and chokes for a moment, clearly affected by the gases. Though tears cloud his vision, he fights to continue his task.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fortitude: (1d20+4)[9]
    Minor edit if I fail the save... Shoulda kept my mouth closed. RL and in-game...
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-02-08 at 09:55 AM.

29. - Top - End - #389

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos

Karos, while not knowing the two who were butchered, is determined to find justice for such an atrocity. With this single minded purpose he ignores the unpleasantness of the swamp around him and silently prays to St. Cuthbert to lend his aid in the search for retribution.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fort Save:(1d20+4)[15]
    Last edited by bchilders; 2008-02-07 at 02:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #390

Dafydd

Dafydd's spirits rise somewhat as the group engages in purposeful activity, which helps him get his mind off of the tragic end of their companions.

Spoiler
    Show
    fort - (1d20+7)[20]