New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: The messengers

1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The messengers

Ozzgar attacks again, but misses the human this time.

Kaz moves to help out Dagg, and punches Sam hard in the side of his face.

Sam is beaten up badly as well, but he's not down yet, he keeps on focusing on the dwarf to finish him. He punches Dagg hard in the face (4 damage). Dagg's vision goes black, and the dwarf falls to the ground unconscious.

Matt attacks Lorrick again, but Lorrick has seen his share of bar fights, and leans back to a table, ducking the punch. He leans further back, and kicks Matt in the head. You hear Matt's jawbone being disclocated as his head flips back, but he's not down.

Dafydd steps in the help out Ozz. He raises his fist, and hits David hard in the scruff. The blow is strong, and takes out David from the fight.

Third round
    Ozzgar (22), -5HP
    Kaz (21)
    Sam (20), -9HP
    Tom (17), subdued
    Matt (15), -9HP

Lorrick (13), -3HP
    Dagg (9), -18HP, subdued
    Dafydd (8), -7HP
    David (5), subdued
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dafydd

Grinning a sickening wet, red grin, Dafydd eyes the two opponents menacingly. "Do you yield? You must know you can't win this fight, and unless you're particularly fond of pain, we had better clean ourselves up and discuss our grievances like civilized folk from here on." Dafydd winds down a bit, after the incredibly cathartic session of trading blows with these fellows, and his sense of fair play overrides his desire to cause even more pain to his adversaries.

Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose he'll use an intimidate check on the remaining lumberjacks (if there are any) when his turn comes around.

intimidate - (1d20+2)[9] plus whatever bonus modifier you deem appropriate, since they've had the poops beat out of them
    Proud Happy Biscuit (TM) salesman

avatar: Fence the gypsy halfling rogue by Sampi

3. - Top - End - #213

BardGuy

Kaz

If the lumberjacks back down, Kaz will help Dagg back up. If not, he presses the attack on Sam.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack: (d20+2)[3] damage: (d3+1)[4]

4. - Top - End - #214

Lorrick

Lorrick keeps striking.

attack (1d20+5)[15]
    damage (1d3+3)[6]

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf
    HP: 16/16 (5 subdual); AC: 17, touch 14, flat 14

Looking around, Ozz sees Lorrick's situation and moves to aid him."Tha's enoof! Stand doon an' ye'll nae take any more bruisin' ta yer pride." He winks at Lorrick, letting him know he's covered.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid Another (AC boost): (1d20+6)[11]; flanking Sam with Lorrick.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

6. - Top - End - #216

Ozz moves to help out Lorrick, and distracts Matt.

Kaz attacks Sam again, but the lumberjacks blocks his fist. Sam turns his attention to Kaz, and headbutts the human (4 damage). Blood runs from Kaz's nose as he steps back.

Matt tries to punch Lorrick, but he'S too distracted by Ozz, he misses. Lorrick, on the other hand, remains focused, and with a well-placed punch in the face right next to the eye, he subdues Matt.

Upon Dafydd's call, the only standing woodsman, Sam collapses to the ground, covering his bloody face. "O' roight, ye win!" - he says and raises his hands, giving up the fight.

Fourth round, end of the fight
    Ozzgar (22), -5HP
    Kaz (21), -4HP
    Sam (20), -9HP
    Tom (17), subdued
    Matt (15), subdued

Lorrick (13), -3HP
    Dagg (9), -18HP, subdued
    Dafydd (8), -7HP
    David (5), subdued
    Last edited by amanodel; 2007-10-16 at 01:47 AM.

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

7. - Top - End - #217

Dafydd

Dafydd lowers his guard and attempts to help the conscious lumberjack to his feet, the anger drained out of him. "Ah, it was a good fight all around, dear fellow, well done. My name's Dafydd Fennswyth, by the by. Why don't you rouse your companions there, we'll all clean up a bit and I'll buy you all a drink?" He then excuses himself to kneel over Dagg, mutters a quick prayer and channels healing energy into the battered dwarf.

Spoiler
    Show
    4 hp to Dagg

8. - Top - End - #218

Lorrick

Lorrick looks to Daffyd.

Offer to pay if you want, but from where I'm from, the ones who were bested usually buy the drinks.

Lorrick returns to the bar, the minor injuries he sustained in the fight unphasing him.

9. - Top - End - #219

BardGuy

Kaz

Wiping the blood from his nose, Kaz makes sure Dagg is okay, then returns to his lunch. "I agree with Lorrick. If you want to pay Dafydd, go for it, but I'm not buying a drink for people that attacked my friends."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Rising groggily from his stupor, Dagg looks about in confused alarm. "What happened? Did we win? Are we in jail?" His voice is rather strongly affected by his recent nasal exuberances, lending his speech a certain whining quality. Seeing that the party is not, in fact, incarcerated, he locates and retrieves his tankard of ale.

A good gulp later, he murmurs "good fight... thanks for the healing, Dafydd."
    The setting of Warhammer 40,000 can be summarized in one sentence: The most virtuous, naive, pure of heart, goody-two-shoes race... are basically space Nazis. Yeah.

11. - Top - End - #221

Sam, the only lumberjack who wasn't knocked out, remains siting on the floor, on gets up to take a bottle of whisky from the bar.

The barkeep returns, and Sam growls something about actually paying for the bottle in an undefined time in the future. He drinks nearly the half of the booze with one swallow, as if it was some kind of medicine for his injuries.

Then he tosses the drink to your trable. He throws it, but not in an attacking way. Lorrick can catch the bottle with ease. Sam doesn't seem too talkative, but after all, he's been beaten badly a few seconds before.

The barkeep brings some of the drinks back, and tells the barmaid girls to clean up the evidences of the recent fight.

12. - Top - End - #222

Lorrick

Lorrick catches the bottle, and sets it down, but abstains from drinking.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf
    HP: 16/16 (5 subdual); AC: 17, touch 14, flat 14

After taking a long pull on the fruits of his labor, Ozz grins at the lumberjacks. "Tha' was foon, laddies! Thanks!" he laughs. "Noo, wha's this 'boot elfs attackin' y'all from th' forest?"

14. - Top - End - #224

Sam wipes the blood off his face, while answering to Ozz shortly.

Folks gone missin' 'round the forest. Many claim they saw elves. Matt saw elf footprints or what.

That being said, Sam drinks quickly his remaining drink, and finishes Tom's and Matt's immediately thereafter. He seems pretty drunk by now, and murmurs something incomprehansable to himself, then sits down on the floor next to his knocked out companions, and starts shaking them.

You can try to have a longer conversation with Sam about the topic, but it seems pretty pointless.

After finishing your meals and paying the 3 silver pieces for it, you are ready to contimnue your yourney if you don't have other business here in town.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf
    HP: 16/16 (3 subdual); AC: 17, touch 14, flat 14

"Tha' was good eatin'!" Ozz says as he finishes his last bite and throws the last of his ginger ale down his throat. "Soo, it seems tha' tha locals have been havin' a bit o' trubble wit' somethin' from tha forest, nae? I doot it's elfs unless they were provoked. We'd best tread with an even warier eye than before, nae? Same formation as b'fore?"

16. - Top - End - #226

Dafydd

Dafydd, invigorated from the fight, fills his stomach with some more of the bread and wine. "Indeed, friend. Certainly, the people of my homeland are not kidnappers, or some such. I than you all for fighting with me, I could not have overcome those ruffians by myself." After the meal is finished and they leave, he pays the bartender a few extra silver for any damage the fight may have caused, and says aloud to any within earshot, "Let none speak of elves as 'pansies' again without thinking twice, or thrice even, about the events of today!" Dafydd is a bit of a showboater, after all.

17. - Top - End - #227

BardGuy

Kaz

"Same formation, but let's keep a little tighter around the elves. No sense getting into another fight." Kaz will take his place in the form, check his ring and take out that iron box again. "While we have a minute, lemme get this thing open."

Spoiler
    Show
    open lock: (d20+10)[30]
    Last edited by Quxelopqr; 2007-10-18 at 01:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Ozzgar the Wolf
    HP: 16/16 (3 subdual); AC: 17, touch 14, flat 14

The goblin whistles long and low. "Well, tha' was quick Kaz! Lessee whacher got!" Ozz excitedly exclaims as he looks on with interest.

19. - Top - End - #229

Under better circumstances, Kaz's nimble fingers open the metal box almost too easily. Within the box lies a handful of gold and silver coins, an ornate ring, and a sealed envelope. The letter is sealed by a signet ring of a local noble house, but it doesn't have the addressee's name written on it. The total amount of wealth is 100 gold pieces.

20. - Top - End - #230

Lorrick

Instead of looking at the treasure, Lorrick looks around to see who ELSE may be looking at their good fortune.

21. - Top - End - #231

BardGuy

kaz

Kaz looks intently at the signet ring's mark on the letter, trying to see if he recognizes it. He isn't about to open the letter yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge local: (d20+3)[10]

Kaz inspects the ring closely as well, comparing it to the one from the regency, then asks Dagg what he thinks of it. Kaz will then divide the money amongst the party.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

"We've found some gold! Oh, joyous day." Taking the ring from Kaz, Dagg inspects it closely as well. "I'm not exactly one to hobnob with nobles, but I'll see if I recognize it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Nobility - (1d20-1)[10]
    Appraise - (1d20+1)[18] (+2 added due to racial bonus)
    Last edited by Dethcom1; 2007-10-20 at 12:45 AM.
    The setting of Warhammer 40,000 can be summarized in one sentence: The most virtuous, naive, pure of heart, goody-two-shoes race... are basically space Nazis. Yeah.

23. - Top - End - #233

Luckily for you, people seem to avoid you the best as they can after they've seen you beating up the lumberjacks.

Inspecting the insignia, Kaz reckognizes the sign, and recalls he has seen it somewhere in the Regency, altough he cannot remember exactly where. Dagg is also only familiar with the insignia a little, but even he can't recall where he saw it. Altough he can appraise the ring's value. He estimates it to worth circa 20 gold pieces.

24. - Top - End - #234

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz opens the letter and reads it, hoping to gain some insight as to where it came from and where it's going.

25. - Top - End - #235

The letter is signed by Lord Matheus Davergne, a minor landlord in the regency, and it's addressee is Lord Almeus Givagn. Lord Givagn is a well-known charmer and deviant, disrespected by the other nobles, but pretty popular amongst some of the the poorer folks and ladies. His manor is located at the western frontier of the Regency, and it is said that bandits and highwaymen are welcomed there.

In the letter, Lord Davergne asks Lord Givagn in a very diplomatic manner if he would send her daughter back. Lord Givagn is known for seducing and luring away noblewomans and girls, and then blackmailing their fathers for some gold in exchange of their children. The 100 gold you found in the box is called 'transportation fee', but is essentially a ransom. The ring is there in case Lord Givagn would like to marry Davergne's daughter. That would save the Davergne family from being dishonored, so noble etiquette demands the ornate ring to be sent along the ransom. Altough more than twenty such kidnapping is known and Lord Givagn isn't married yet.

26. - Top - End - #236

Dafydd

As Dafydd scans over the letter, a puzzled look creeps more solidly onto his face. "What make you of this, my friends? I suppose we ought to see this letter delivered, if possible. It is a wonder though...such a hefty gift to be sent with a small group of messengers through these dangerous parts. The fact that the money was intended to be a discreet ransom escapes Dafydd.

27. - Top - End - #237

BardGuy

Kaz

"I'd like to get this letter delivered as well. I've heard of this Givagn before and I'm not too big a fan of what he does. Slight problem though, going out to deliver this will take us away from the elf forest. I believe Givagn treats his guests kindly so I think we should finish the task at hand first." Kaz grimaces at his own words and then places the ring back into the box, which he returns to his pack. Wish I could be in two places at once...

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dagg

Dagg scratches his ear as he looks at the letter. "What's it say? What about Givagn? Why is his letter being sent with a bunch of gold?"

He takes it in stride that the group continues.

29. - Top - End - #239

BardGuy

Kaz

Kaz thinks for a few moments then shakes his head. "Oops, sorry guys. Givagn's place is actually past where we're going. If everyone would like, we can stop by there after our errand is completed."

Kaz tries not to appear embaressed by the fact that he is directionally misinclined.

30. - Top - End - #240

Lorrick

Well, let's finish our job first. Then we'll have a decision to make.