New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Trying out the monster creation rules!

So I finally decided to sit down and try to use the monster-building rules in the DMG to make a creature that has been stuck in my mental craw for YEARS.

Coney (Large, NG)
    AC 13
    HP 36 (3d10 HD)
    Spd 60
    Str 16 (+3), Dex 16 (+3), Con 11 (+0), Int 7 (-2), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 9 (-2)
    Proficiency Bonus: +2 Skills: Wisdom (Perception)
    Passive Perception: 13 Saves: Con +2
    CR 1/2

Traits:
    Standing Leap: Standing Leap.The coney's long jump is up to 30 feet and its high jump is up to 15 feet, with or without a running start.

Actions:
    Bite: +3 to hit, melee. 1d6+3 (6) damage, piercing.
    Antler: +3 to hit, melee. 2d4+3 (8) dam, bludgeoning.
    Charge: If the coney moves at least 30 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with an antler attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 2d4 (5) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

The idea is that it's a jackalope that is about the size of a horse, and is thus rideable. It's for a big, open plains area with some canyons over which these can bound. So here's my main question: Should the CR be 1/2? That seemed right given the low HP vs potentially high damage output. Most coneys are born without antlers, and many born WITH antlers are so poorly balanced for jumping that they get eaten relatively early. Adult coney jackalopes with antlers are rare, prized, and dangerous. Coneys tend to bond to one rider, needing a long period without them before beginning to bond with a new one.

And if you wanted one without the antlers, and thus no charge, it would be a high CR 1/4, I think.

Finally, would it be pushing it to give them darkvision? Seems right for a prey creature on the dead last rung of a prairie food chain involving occasional dinosaurs.

Thank you for looking! It's fun to mess with rules I don't know well. :D

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Trying out the monster creation rules!

How does it have 36HP if it has 3D10 HD and no con mod?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nizhgareth View Post
    So I finally decided to sit down and try to use the monster-building rules in the DMG to make a creature that has been stuck in my mental craw for YEARS.

Coney (Large, NG)
    AC 13
    HP 36 (3d10 HD)
    Spd 60
    Str 16 (+3), Dex 16 (+3), Con 11 (+0), Int 7 (-2), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 9 (-2)
    Proficiency Bonus: +2 Skills: Wisdom (Perception)
    Passive Perception: 13 Saves: Con +2
    CR 1/2

Traits:
    Standing Leap: Standing Leap.The coney's long jump is up to 30 feet and its high jump is up to 15 feet, with or without a running start.

Actions:
    Bite: +3 to hit, melee. 1d6+3 (6) damage, piercing.
    Antler: +3 to hit, melee. 2d4+3 (8) dam, bludgeoning.
    Charge: If the coney moves at least 30 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with an antler attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 2d4 (5) bludgeoning damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

The idea is that it's a jackalope that is about the size of a horse, and is thus rideable. It's for a big, open plains area with some canyons over which these can bound. So here's my main question: Should the CR be 1/2? That seemed right given the low HP vs potentially high damage output. Most coneys are born without antlers, and many born WITH antlers are so poorly balanced for jumping that they get eaten relatively early. Adult coney jackalopes with antlers are rare, prized, and dangerous. Coneys tend to bond to one rider, needing a long period without them before beginning to bond with a new one.

And if you wanted one without the antlers, and thus no charge, it would be a high CR 1/4, I think.

Finally, would it be pushing it to give them darkvision? Seems right for a prey creature on the dead last rung of a prairie food chain involving occasional dinosaurs.

Thank you for looking! It's fun to mess with rules I don't know well. :D
    This looks cool.

If you want some feedback:

"would it be pushing it to give them darkvision?" - I don't think it would be pushing, lots and lots of monsters have it.

"Bite: +3 to hit, melee. 1d6+3 (6) damage, piercing." - why no proficiency bonus?

"HP 36 (3d10 HD)" - so, besides 36 being wrong for 3d10, it seems that most low-CR MM monsters have less HP than the table in the DMG would indicate.

And have better than +3 to-hit.

So, while this seems balanced, most monsters have better attacks and worse HP than indicated on the DMG.

I wish I could run the numbers but I don't have a good database/excel file.

Here are some thoughts on monster math FWIW.

http://methodsetmadness.blogspot.com...s-on-5e-d.html
    Methods & Madness - my D&D 5e /OSR /game design blog.
    *5e: easy survival rules. Bringing balance to the Forge (yup!). Fort/Ref/Will.
    *OSR: One page hacks, my answer to retroclones. Would love to take ONE PAGE from YOUR book!
    *3e x 4e x 5e - Can you trip an ooze? Are miniatures required?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

When you opened with this, I have to say I expected a lot more than a horse with antlers. Like, the MM already has elks and stuff...

So here's my main question: Should the CR be 1/2?
    Well, the numbers check out, if it's got 36 HP and +3 to hit. It's very strange to see a beast that doesn't have proficiency with its natural weapons though, and 3d10+0 is equal to 16, not 36.

Finally, would it be pushing it to give them darkvision?
    Should be fine. Darkvision is common as muck, and generally has no effect on balance.

Also, on a stylistic note, Charge is usually written as an ability, rather than an action.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2018-01-18 at 04:10 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Should be fine. Darkvision is common as muck, and generally has no effect on balance.
    The thing is, it's a jackalope (a rabbit with horns, for those who don't know). Since it's really a big rabbit, it wouldn't make sense to give it darkvision (rabbits can't see in the dark) but it would make sense to give them keen hearing and smell (I think wolves have it, without checking)
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sorry for the delay! Life's been nuts.
    Good feedback and thank you very much.
    Firstly: yup, I totally messed up with the hit dice. I'll look at that again. Chances are it will have lower HP since they aren't the most sturdy creatures overall.
    Secondly: Proficiency on its own weapons makes sense! Will do.
    Thirdly: Interesting note, bc56! Will consider.
    Fourth(and final)ly: Still wondering about the limits of Standing Leap. Not very much literature there. Would it be OP to give it standing leap to its full speed, as seems to be the norm?

Thanks for your patience on the lack of proper formatting and referencing. Very new here.