New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Statis Tomb

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default The Statis Tomb

After the man finishes his tale of the cult that destroyed your town you all sit in silence. He then ask again if you would be intrested in save the town. You all, of course say yes. You find the tower in Loudwater, the tower seems deserted, but the door seems magiclly sealed..

Spoiler
    Show
    ((00C-> Ok not one of my best entrances, but RP post from everybody and I'll be good for the next twist. Remember this is a test campaign so there still may be some kinks.))

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Statis Tomb

Zalsor

Once the door is found to be magically sealed, Zalsor turns to the group. The six foot 3 human speaks in an unexpectededly quiet voice "Well, abandoned places don't usually have magic security, so thisplace probably isn't what it seems.

Zalsor turns back to the door and inspects it closer.

Spoiler
    Show

Spellcraft check to try and identify the magic: (1d20+1)[6]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Hugo

"Magic doesn't just disappear for no reason. Maybe the mage in charge of guarding the thing quit or something. We should be careful, regardless."

Hugo puts on his goggles and starts inspecting the door for traps, magical or otherwise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]

If he finds traps, he'll announce it to the rest of the group and try to disable them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll1]

If not, he'll ask the rest of the group if he should try to pick the lock.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll2]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Thule Grimstalker

Thule listens to Hugo and Zelsor, but adds no comment of his own, trusting his friends to find a way in. If not... Thule pulls his longaxe off of the long holster on his back, gripping the hard handle between his gauntlets. He flexes the muscles in his shoulders.
    "It's a trick. Get an axe."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Hugo

If the door prevents someone from seeing if there are traps, then I try to pick the lock anyway, taking 20 if necessary.

While concentrating on the task of picking said lock, Hugo addresses Thule. "Hey Thule, do you know how to use a pickaxe? We might need to get inside the hard way." He then laughs to himself.

If Hugo fail to pick the lock, then he looks to see if there is another way in and try to try to see the type of material the door and the walls around it are composed of.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-01-20 at 08:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Rabbit

The halfing wizard shrugged at his companions as they discussed their options for entering the tower. Hugo felt the familiar mental touch as Rabbit's mind connected with his,

Telepathy with Hugo
    Spoiler
    Show

"I didnt prepare a spell to dispel magic, nor do I know the spell to break magical locks. Sorry"

While Hugo continues his investigation of the door, the halfling circumnavigates the tower looking for other possible points of entry, windows, etc.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Thule

Thule shrugs his shoulder at Hugo, but he chuckles and breaks his silence, "Using my axe to break down the wizard usually works better... so let me know if you see the one that sealed this door."

Spoiler
    Show

How big is this tower any way? Other entrances, windows, etc.?
    Last edited by Snowfall; 2008-01-21 at 03:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Hugo

"Wish I knew who it was who made this lousy lock, but I'm just as in the dark as you are. Anyone remember why we're here? Was there something we had to steal or someone we had to kill? I kinda spaced out."

To Rabbit, telepathically:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Drat, that sucks harder than...a...sucking...thing. Damn. It's hard to come up with jokes when the first thing in your head is the first thing out of your mouth. Figuratively speaking, of course."
    "Do you have any spells that can let us see inside the tower, by any chance? It would be nice to see what we're up against if Zalsor's right."
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-01-21 at 05:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Rabbit

Rabbit scrunches his face up while thinking,

Telepathic to Hugo
    Spoiler
    Show

"I could try to identify the type of magic with a simple spell, though I dont know that it would help us overly much. If we cannot find another way, I could prepare a spell for dispelling magic tomorrow."

[ooc] Waiting for a better description of the tower at this point. Height, amount/height of windows, material of the door, material of the tower, etc. [/ooc]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Zalsor

Zalsor steps back from the door and peers upwards, higher up the tower

Spoiler
    Show

spot check: (1d20+2)[4]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The tower is around 60 feet high, with windows starting at 25 feet high, and then ten feet after that. The windows are about eight inches wide, and three feet tall. The stone is average, but might be enchanted for all you know, the tower does seem old, and it might have magical help to keep it standing. There is no other entrance than the magiclly sealed door.

This all doesn't matter much, because after about another minute of investagation a blood curdaling scream errupts from over the hill about four hundered yards away. You all rush towards the sounds, and combat soon greets your eyes. Commoner bodies litter the ground around a huge beastly creature. Standing close to eight feet high, and five feet wide, the monster takes up a huge space and easly spoted in the little vally below. You rush down and when you finally get close enough you recognise the beast for what it is. A Umber Hulk, a subterranen creature that can burrow through earth as easly as walk through air. The creature's arm fall to the ground as it turns toward you.. You seem to be it's next targets for destruction.

But before anything happens you see a huge hole, that resonabley could have been from which the Hulk came from, but the hole looked as if it probably not made by only one. It looked to be about thirty feet across, and forty feet deep.

Turning back to the only Umber Hulk in sight you ready yourself.

Spoiler
    Show

Colors match your spots.
    Umber Hulk is the big dot.
    The big grey type thing is the hole.
    Roll Intiative.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Zalsor

oh hell with it, back to saving the world again

Zalsor whips his greatsword from his back with surprising grace and ease, and stands ready to engage the creature, stony faced and serious.

Spoiler
    Show

initiative (1d20+5)[18]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Rabbit

Initiative - (1d20+3)[9]

The small halfling's mouth opens in a soundless gasp as he sees the destruction littered around the creature. Recognition settles into his eyes as he takes in the full picture. He is sure there is more to this beast than the massive claws and pincer-like mouth and tries to remember what he learned in his studies.

Knowledge Dungeoneering - (1d20+6)[25]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Knowledge of the Hare
    Spoiler
    Show
    The burrowing insects usually stay to themselves, keeping to there selfdug tunnels. Their gaze can be used to confuse and befudle the weak minded, and it's massive body lends to it's strenghth. It is by no meens stupid, and doesn't need it's eyes to feel were his opponents are, though it still has no probablem seeing in the darkness if need be.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Thule

"Big and ugly, my favorite... but at least we can stop staring at that damned door."

As Thule changes his grip to the base of his longaxe, he turns to Zalsor and rumbles, "Beware its reach, this could hurt a little" He makes ready to step to the front of the group.

Spoiler
    Show

Init - (1d20+2)[22]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Hugo

Hugo's tools were in his bag and his bow in his hand the second he heard the scream. Rushing to the scene, he can only exclaim:

"What the hell is that thing? Seriously, what the hell."

Hugo isn't sure if he's ever seen or heard of such a beast. Thinking back...

Knowledge check:(1d20+3)[11](14)

Initiative:(1d20+3)[3](6)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Init - (1d20+1)[13]

Combat Round 1.

Thule
    Zasor
    Umber Hulk
    Rabit
    Hugo

and ah here we go.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Thule

Without a word, Thule moves to the front of the group and sets himself to receive the beast's charge.

Spoiler
    Show

AC 19 Flat 17 Touch 13
    HP 82/82

Thule's going to move to 7-11 and ready an attack action for when the Hulk gets in range. He has set his longaxe to 10' grip and is using +3 on a power attack. If the hulk moves, this should reset Thule's initiative to right before the hulk, right?

attack - (1d20+8)[11]
    damage - (1d12+8)[14]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Hugo

Hugo thinks to himself about a battle strategy for when the opportunity to attack asserts itself.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm stating my combat actions ahead of time.

When it's my turn, if I am not attacked, I take a move action to hide while moving towards the Umber Hulk. I'll stop the second I get within 30 ft. of the Umber Hulk and take a standard action to fire my bow at it.

Is sniping a free action? If so, then I move into sniping position after my attack.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide check
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+11)[13](24)

Attack roll
    (1d20+9)[19](28)
    (1d4)[3](3)
    Sneak attack(if applicable)
    (3d6)[4][5][4](13)

Hiding after sniping (if it is a free action)
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20-4)[7](3)

If the Umber Hulk is over 50 ft away from me on my turn, I instead spend the whole turn hiding.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+16)[4](20)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Zalsor

Zalsor dashes to his left and ahead slightly, ending up just behind and to the right of Thule. From there he utters a few word sand thrusts his hand towards the creature. A blinding light shoots from his hand towards the hulk

Spoiler
    Show

AC: 18 HP:48/48

Move action to 6,12. Then casting searing light on the hulk.

Ranged touch attack roll: (1d20+5)[8] (I think thats right?)
    Damage (if hits): (3d8)[18]
    Last edited by Zyks; 2008-01-24 at 07:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Hugo

Hugo also realizes that he forgot a few likely possibilities.

Spoiler
    Show

If I can't hide this turn, then disregard the sneak attack damage.

My character is unsure of whether he has been spotted or if there is a safe hiding space, so he hides out of instinct, regardless of circumstances.

Regardless of the actions of anyone else, I don't move more than 15 feet during my turn.

If the Umber Hulk moves to within 30 ft of me before my turn, I instead move away from him and towards Zalsor until the distance between the Umber Hulk and I is 30 ft. I still try to hide during that motion.

Otherwise, I act as previously stated.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-01-25 at 09:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Rabbit

Seeing Hugo's intended course of actions, the halfling whispers into the man's mind,

"It does not need its eyes to see you, attempting to hide will be of little value here."

Unsure how best to compliment his companions at this point, Rabbit decides the best offense is a good defense and girds himself against attacks.

[ooc] Cast Silent Mage Armor [/ooc]
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2008-01-26 at 11:22 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I think you meant Hugo, not Thule...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The Umber Hulk starts foward just as the Burst of Light flood towards it. The aim is a little high, and the large creature is able to stumble under it. Charging at Thule, the creature pulls up and starts to swing. That's when Thule releases the pent up power in his stance turning and dipping, putting his full force of his body into the swing. The axe flies true, but sadly is turned by the creatures outer skin, dinging away as if it his mithral plate mail.

Letting out an unearthly screech the Subterraining creature lets out a screech and swipes at you with it's huge maul of a claw.

[roll]1d20+11[roll]
    (2d4+6)[12]

Hugo meets with more success, as with his opponent occupied the bolt that flies from his crossbow strikes true. Also, with the extra time he had to aim the bolt found a bigger nitch in the beast armor, and thunk solidly in the monsters tough skin. Though now the Umber Hulk has turned his ugly head and staring menacingly at Hugo.

Round 2
    Same Init Order.
    I'll have map up shortly.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Messed up a roll
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+11)[26]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Are you sure the second half was Zalsor? Because I don't actually have a crossbow, and I was the one firing the light at it

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Actually, Zalsor should go ahead of Thule now, since Thule readied an action to strike the Hulk when he moved.
    And ouch... meat shield at work.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    ((00C-> Very true. And yes it's been changed))

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

ROUND 2

Same Init. Oh, and everybody roll a will save before posting.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Will (1d20+8)[11]

Moving up to the hulk and hitting it with the greatsword (assuming nothing happens from the will save)

attack (1d20+8)[10]
    damage (2d6+3)[12]
    fire damage (1d6)[2]