New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 3.5 Homebrew IC

1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Homebrew IC

Eranti

Eranti returns quietly to the others, with a puzzled look on his face. He explains what he saw. I guess they're trying to set up a tavern of some kind, but it's quite a strange location.
    Proud Happy Biscuit (TM) salesman

avatar: Fence the gypsy halfling rogue by Sampi

2. - Top - End - #182

Zadreck Ysaron

The paladin doesn't know what to make of Eranti's story, so he goes to see for himself what the fuss is all about, making sure to remain at a considerable distance. Once there, he takes a look at the goblin encampment before turning back to his companions, clearly unsure of what to do.

"So, what do you think we should do? Do any of you think they would accept visitors to their camp? "

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: How hungry/sleepy are we?
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: You could stand to be up for a few more hours.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Nevar

The wizard looks thoughtful. "I don't know much about begging for goblin hospitality... did anyone see what kind of meat they were eating?"
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: The meat looked decidedly rodent in origin, and wholly unappetizing, except to a goblin pallete.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Canran

Canran chews lightly on his fingernail. "'I'd rather keep away, an' not have to deal with then at all. They might be trouble... there's more of them than us." The little goblin frowns in contemplation, allowing his right cheek to rest on his foreknuckles. "But I think we have to go past them, and they might take it badly if we don't say hello." He shrugs helplessly. "Maybe they'll be friendly and show us how to go. We're not good enough foresters to sneak around."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Nevar

The wizard looks thoughtful, "Well, the only way we could overcome them with any ease would be to attack by surprise. I don't think that we are that kind of people, so we should go around."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

8. - Top - End - #188

Zadreck Ysaron

"I agree with Nevar. It looks like we've still got enough supplies for at least a few more days, and finding our way around shouldn't be that difficult.
    it's probably best not to risk anything and simply go around their camp."
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Canran

"Very well." the little goblin nods gravely. "Try to remember which way's north, though. I don't want to get lost."

Shouldering his backpack, Canran begins the trek through the forest, but stops after a few steps. "Maybe you should lead." he suggests, looking to Eranti. "I think you're better at sneaking."

"Probably listening, too." he adds thoughtfully. "Halfling ears."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

It is getting dark. The forest now seems more sinister, malevolent even. Roots and thorns seem to find their way around your feet. The very ground fights for each step you take, and several times the mules are mired in small patches of mud. A few hard miles later, and the sun has fully set. It is too dark in the dense canopy to catch a glimpse of the moon and sky, let alone pick a path through the darkened sentinels that tower above you. This is truly the deep forest now, not the cultivated woodland closer to the city. There is no path other than the one you create, and not a soul, aside from the goblins, to call out to.

11. - Top - End - #191

Eranti

Eranti sighs, feeling quite hapless. Perhaps we should find a clearing and call it a night, gentlemen. Might be a good idea to tie up our edibles this time, as well. Doubtless the forest will at least seem a little more friendly in the morning.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Nevar

The wizard chuckles, "Indeed. Nature has seen fit to teach this town lad a lesson about the outdoors." After an appropriate campsite is located, he takes care of his mule, sets up his bedroll, and ties his food in a bag which he hangs off a high branch.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

The party manages to sleep and recuperate themselves without anything nasty befalling you. The dawn greets you through the trees, which do seem a bit less daunting now. However, you are still on a deadline, and have only the vaguest idea as to your destination. The forest is calm and quiet, only the ambient sounds of birds and small creatures can be heard. Whatever the goblins had been up to before, they have now ceased their activities.

Canran, whilst on watch, heard the sounds fade around 4am. The goblins did not seem to move away though, so they must have settled down for the night.

14. - Top - End - #194

Eranti

Eranti looks around, worriedly. I think we should go...that way. But I'm not sure at all. These woods are very confusing to someone my size.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eranti makes a survival check? I rolled a 19, -1 would be 18, if I get to do the rolling for it.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eranti decides that the best path lies deeper into the woods, in a roughly northwesterly direction. His instincts do not lead him astray, and you encounter a small deer track after about an hour of travel. At this point the woods are definately at their densest. As you continue onward, the loose canopy tightens to form a natural roof. The deer path snakes its way in between increasingly larger trees, and just barely allows each of you to move without getting caught in the underbrush. The sunlight of the new day barely penetrates the thick branches, and the world is given a shadowy cast.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Canran

Though still nervous, Canran feels mostly better in the morning, with the sun shining and his orisons refreshed. "Lead us on!" he advises Eranti, in slightly-forced good cheer. "Maybe Diana's shown you the way."

The goblin's cheer turns genuine when the halfling finds a deer track. "She really is looking out for us. It's funny that we'd get the Moon Goddess's intervention during the day, though." He frowns thoughtfully. "Maybe at night she's busy being the moon?"

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Nevar

Nevar chuckles, "I never turn down the assistance of the gods, despite any conundrums they involve. The fact is, more often than not, the gods like their assistance to be confusing to mortals. Keeps us on our toes."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

The path is rather pleasant, after your eyes adjust. There is an abundance of strange mosses and low hanging creepers. Zadreck even catches a glimpse of some manner of fae creature in between the trees. As he turns back for a second glance, he hears a faint giggling, and there is nothing to see.

Canran however, sees something concrete. A group of goblins stand blinking at the party. They don't seem to know quite what to do.

OOC: Initiative for surprise round: Zadreck, Eranti, Nevar, Canran.

19. - Top - End - #199

Eranti

Eranti attempts to pull his rapier out of its sheath without looking too ridiculous. Much to his chagrine, he fails, completely. On the plus side, he manages to have the weapon pointed in the right direction by the end. Goblins, stay back if you value your lives! He yells in his best goblin dialect.

Spoiler
    Show
    rolled a 6 for intimidate check. Couldn't hurt, I guess.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Nevar

Nevar looks up into the trees, surprised.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20)[5]
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: You misunderstand. The party managed to get the drop on the goblins, I already rolled your initiative.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Nevar

The wizard raises his hands as in preparation for an incantation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hold action to see what they do.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Canran

Canran's teeth clatter together nervously for a moment, and then he appears calm. "Hello, friends!" he waves. "We're going to the other side of the forest. Can you tell us the way?"

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

The goblins look puzzled for a moment, and chatter urgently amongst themselves. Canran manages to catch the words 'priest' and 'reinforcements' a few times, otherwise he cannot make out much. There are several furtive glances toward the paladin, who to the goblins must seem an iron-covered juggernaut. It is unclear whether they are hostile or fearful, but one thing is certain, Canran's presence is an asset. After a moment more of deliberation, one of the goblins steps forward. The only distinguishing feature about him is that his gear seems to be in better condition that that of his fellows. You can acertain that he is a leader of sorts for this little band.

He speaks in a dialect that Canran is unfamiliar with, but has no problem translating, "You are a priest, you come to look at the work? We go after deserters. Did you see them, they stole much Thudrud." At this he gestures down the road back toward the goblins you had avoided.