New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Serious Plots 7: Why so srs?

Cyclopean Ruins

The sunrobed one looks at the moonarmored one, delight dancing on his face. "Well Brother, how many questions does that make?" "Six Brother." says the moonarmored one, the slightest hint of a smirk appearong on his face."I think that is fair to give them a straight answer, don't you?""Aye Brother, I would say it is." They both look back to Tethrik and Armonia "My name is Abel." "My name is Cain.""Four questions left my friends."

Armonia suddenly grabs Tethrik and pulls him into a huddle. Whispering he asks "ok...two things we should consider right now. The first is they may be lying, I mean, could it really have been THIS simple? The second, if they ARE telling the truth, this may be an opportunity to get some helpful information, before we complete the challenge. What do you think Tethrik?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"I am extremely sceptical of their answer, because Cain and Abel were not twins and are far older than Castor and Pollux." Tethrik glances back at the twins.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #333

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

"But they said that Castor and Pollux WERE the original ones, that means THEY aren't. If they were purely based on, what did you call it? Ear-th? The astrology of that planet you said, their true names WOULD be Castor and Pollux." Armonia whispers. He quickly looks back at the two guardians then back to Tethrik. "I have an idea, it'll take up a question, maybe two, but if it works, we'll get some more info about this place AND them. Unless you have an idea?"
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"Go ahead. It's not like I have any idea myself." Tethrik steps aside to allow Armonia to approach the twins.

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #335

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Armonia clears his throat then steps towards the Twins. "Um...What did you mean when you said that Castor and Pollux were the Original Gemini?"

"We meant that they were the First guardians with the title Gemini.""Come now Brother, they have essentially already won our challenge, surely there is no harm in giving them a little more information." "No, it is against the rules. Our job is to provide a challenge for Trial goers. We shall follow it." "Our job is also to teach the Trial goers, so they may be better Initiates. And considering how long it has been since we have seen a Trial goer, I would think it is safe to say they will not learn about the Heaven's Light or the Cyclopean Order anywhere else." the moonarmored twin grumbles for a moment, crossing his arms in frustration. "Fine....you may tell them."

"Goody! Alright then.....As your friend has ascertained, Our Temple's Trials are based on the Cosmic Zodiac, 12 Guardians who watch over the lives of countless beings across hundreds of galaxies. When Heaven's Light first came to our planet, it was discovered by a tribe of Cyclops, one-eyed brutes little better than vicious animals. The Light brought to them en'light'enment, haha get it? They were finally able to see more than bloodshed and violence, They formed a society of peace and tranquility, advancing far ahead of their neighbors using the power of the Light. As they built, they knew others would grow envious of their new found gift, and so created the Cyclopean Order. This order consisted of 12 Cyclops whose primary job was to protect the Heaven's Light. Generations later, the order grew from mere protection duty, to a full on religion, as many in the order found even more power and enlightenment being around the Light so much. Upon reaching this threshold, they knew they must share this bounty of knowledge and peace. They invited other tribes to come and bask in the Light. Some, receiving its joy, started a following of Initiates, others attempted to steal it for themselves, but were defeated by the guardians. Somewhere along the lines, they determined their bodies were not good enough to protect the Light, and so they crafted new ones, in the shape of the Zodiac. They transferred the souls of their most promising Initiates into the bodies, named a High Priest, and then passed to the next life. For Gemini, the first were siblings named for the Zodiacs. When their spirits decided to pass on, new ones replaced them. My brother Cain and I are the 58th Gemini of this Temple."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"Interesting." Tethrik isn't sure what Armonia's next question will be, but it looks like Cain and Abel are the right names.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #337

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Armonia looks back at Tethrik and gives him a thumbs up with a big smile, then turns back to the Twins. "Cool! Ok, my next question is this, What challenges can we expect from the remaining Guardians?"

The twins look at each other, then say "We don't know.""We don't know." Seeing the confused look on Armonia's face, the sunrobed twin gives a look at the moonarmored one."Oh fine, the reason we don't know is because no challenge is set on stone. Each Guardian has the choice to change their challenge whenever they want. The only rule regarding it is once a challenge has been declared, it cannot change until all Trial goers have left the temple."

Armonia steps back. "Thank you." Turning back to Tethrik. "Any questions from you Tethrik?"

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik thinks for a second. "We have two left, so here goes. What is a typical trial from the guardian of Libra?"
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-05-07 at 06:43 PM.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #339

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

The twins visibly shudder at the word Libra."We do not know, Initiates were not allowed to discuss their trials with anyone outside of their group." "What we do know is that it always involves balance of some sort. Our trial when we were but Initiates ourselves had the Then Scales balance our hearts against a feather."

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"Thanks anyway. To finish it off, are your names Cain and Abel?" Tethrik is ready to move on.

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #341

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

"Yes, yes it is the sunrobed Twin chuckles at the repetitiveness."Now it is our turn, answer our question correctly, and you pass our challenge. What is our True Names?"

"Um....Cain and Abel?" Armonia says.

The sunrobed twin shakes his head smiling wide. "Was it really necessary to ask them? We told them our names twice at this point." "Of course it was necessary, it is the rules." the twins forms begin to flicker in and out. "Regardless, you have passed our challenge.""We wish you luck with your remaining Trials, you are going to need it" Both of them vanish, turning into wind. A doorway appears where their stand once was, a shimmering veil covering the entrance.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"I guess we go through." Tethrik strides toward the door. "Next we go up the other small passage to meet with Aquarius."

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #343

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

"How do you know the next one is Aquarius?" Armonia asks as he follows Tethrik through the door. On the other side, they reappear in the first room. A strong breeze can be felt coming from the large hole, and the gap they first entered is no longer blowing.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"There's a pattern to them. At first, I thought it was unrelated, but once I saw Gemini, I started to figure it out. Starting at the beginning of the year and progressing through the signs, it goes Fire-Earth-Air-Water, with the lead guardian of an element in the second position of that element. Also, Scorpio told us that the Water-bearer was a guardian of Air." Tethrik jumps up into the other hole (not the middle one).

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #345

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Armonia follows Tethrik up the tempest, only barely following what he was saying about the pattern. They blast into the air at high speed, the same sensations they experienced going up to the Twins. They reach the next platform fairly easily and see an ivory statue of a lithe and beautiful man holding up a jug twice his size.

Armonia walks up to the statue and gently poked its nose. The statue falls backwards, careening of the platform and into the air below. "And now we wait."
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-05-08 at 03:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik turns, expecting to see the man depicted standing near the entrance.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #347

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Suddenly, a blur rises up from where the statue fell, zipping around Tethrik and Armonia, creating a minor vortex of wind. The blur stops at the stand, to reveal a young man in a simple but well kept loincloth, holding a gigantic beautifully crafted purple and gold jug.

"Welcometomychallenge! IamtheWaterbearer. Letusseeifyoucankeepup."
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-05-08 at 07:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"Ok?" Tethrik is already not sure he's keeping up. What is he supposed to keep up with?

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #349

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

"SonormallywhatIwoulddoforachallengeishaveyouTrial goersgothroughanobstaclecoursetoproveyouareasdexte rousasthewindblahblahblah, BUTthatjerkGoatfishalreadydidthattodayintheTrialof Earth, andIdontwannabeacopycatsoI'mgoingwithmybackup." The Waterbearer aims the top of his jug towards the ground in the center of the platform, right between Tethrik and Armonia. A powerful gale blasts from that giant jar, blowing Tethrik and Armonia away from that spot. Armonia barely manages to stay on the platform. In the spot, the wind begins to change, creating a form similar to that of a long table. Once the wind table takes shape, the Waterbearer throws his jug at it, where it splits into seven seperate jugs of various size and colors.
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-05-08 at 07:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Another puzzle. These trials are full of them. Tethrik isn't sure if he'd rather take the obstacle course. At least this looks straightforward. One or more of the bottles is obviously poisoned, and they need to figure out which. It's a classic puzzle.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #351

BarbarianGuy

Thumbs up Re: Serious Plots 7: Why so srs?

Cyclopean Ruins

"Well.....Ishouldprobablyslowdownabitsoyoucanunder standmebetterfortherifeel."The strange man takes a deep breath, before continuing speaking."Danger lies before you, while safety lies behind,
    One of us will help you, if only you could find,
    One among us seven will let you move ahead,
    Another will transport the drinker back in time instead,
    Two among our number hold only angel wine,
    Three of us are devils, waiting hidden in line.
    Choose, unless you wish to stay here for evermore,
    To help you in your choice, I give you these clues four:
    First, however slyly the demons try to hide
    You will always find some on angel wine’s left side;
    Second, different are those who stand at either end,
    But if you would move onwards, neither is your friend;
    Third, as you see clearly, all are different size,
    Neither dwarf nor giant holds death in their insides;
    Fourth, the second left and the second on the right
    Are twins once you taste them, though different at first sight.
    Listen to these clues, and maybe you just might,
    Defeat the Guardian Twelve, and glimpse at Heaven's Light"

Spoiler: Jugs
    Show

JugJugJugJugJugJugJug

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

"Purple and Yellow are safe to drink, although neither is necessarily the way forward. Neither Pink nor Red are the way onward. Lastly, Orange and Purple are the same, which means they can't be the right one." Tethrik frowns. It almost seems like the puzzle is incomplete. He needs to know where one of the wine bottles is. Wait. Purple is safe to drink and the same as orange, which means both must be wine. That means Red and Blue are poison. "Purple and Orange must be wine. That means Red and Blue are poison, and Pink is the time potion."

Spoiler: table
    Show
    Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Pink
    Poison Wine Poison Wine Time
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-05-09 at 05:25 AM.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #353

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

"Welltheonlywaytoknowistogiveoneataste." the man gestures to the jugs. "Youarenotlimitedtojustone. Keeptryinguntilyoufindtherightoneoruntilyouaredead !"

"Ok!" Armonia says, grabbing the purple jug from the table, chugging it down.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik is not happy. "Blessit! What if I was wrong? You could've killed yourself! I'm immune to most nonmagical poisons, I should be the one to drink! He thinks he can solve the puzzle pretty soon without drinking. After all, he's narrowed it down to two jugs.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #355

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

"Chill Tethrik, you're not wrong." Armonia says as his skin begins to glow softly. "The fact is, based on what you said, I know which one is the right one.....gods that was TASTY! Look, based on your analysis, Red is poison, Orangeis wine, Yellow is safe, Green is a mystery, Blue is poison, Purple is wine, and Pink sends you back in time. We know there are two wines, three poisons, the way forward and the way backwards. Since you found the two wines, the time potion, and two of the poisons, we are missing one poison and the solution. AND WE KNOW YELLOW IS SAFE." A tiny halo appears over Armonia's head. "So drink the tiny potion and we win."

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik snatches up the little yellow bottle, nearly crushing it in his massive fist, and slams down the contents.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #357

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

Armonia and the Waterbearer watch Tethrik seemingly angrily break the jug, the liquid contents splashing all over his hand before he slams the broken shards on the table. "Uuuuuuuih........o-ok then.........Scales is gonna like you.......y-you um Pass?" The Waterbearer fades to wind, him clearly rushing the process. Armonia just stares at Tethrik as the jugs disappear and a doorway takes shape on the stand.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Evidently, my intent wasn't clear. I meant slam down as in to quickly swallow a small drink, but we probably use different slang.

Tethrik wipes liquid off his hands and steps through the portal. "Sorry about that, my rage is tough to control sometimes," he ccalls back to Aquarius.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #359

BarbarianGuy

Cyclopean Ruins

You know, that's what I thought you meant when I re-read it after I posted. My mind is so burned out that I missed the 'almost' and thought you crushed it

"Well...." Armonia quietly says as he follows Tethrik back into the main room. The center hole is now blasting full force into the 'sky' above. The roar it produces is far more intense than any noise Tethrik and Armonia have encountered in the ruins so far. With a shrug, Armonia jumps into the mainstream, flying upwards at near painful speeds.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Cyclopean Ruins

Tethrik does the same, although it is probably less painful for him.

My Nexus characters