New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVIII: Affordable Misdeeds and Friendly Canines

[Somewhere near MERC]

"You haven't made one," says Maiel as another sort-of prompt, turning around and sifting through the papers in the office. It's difficult to sense, but he is growing increasingly impatient behind the veneer of grumpy placidity.

[Checkup]

Fettina giggles. "Okay. Thank you very much, Astrana. Should I, like, pay you now?" She asks.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Office - Dipsnig]

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Fade nods.

"As said i have nothing found." he says. "The only thing I can think of may be some kind of magic trace with me. Like those DNA tests just with magic."
    "That's something," Dipsnig agrees. "If Rilla can analyse a trace of the magic that animates you, we could find recognize your creator's work if we find it elsewhere."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    Merc Office

Electra raises an eyebrow, and sighs.

"At very least, I must have a date and time before I can post this contract, so our members and licensees can make sure they're available if they're interested in the contract. Can you at least provide that? If not, then I believe I may need to consult with one of my superiors before we can accept your retainer."
    The spider scribbles down the requested info on a piece of paper, along with a note asking if there are any further questions?
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

4. - Top - End - #874
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Dance Lesson]

Dena takes another deep breath before she replies. "I'll call the doctor myself if I need to. Don't worry about it Laela. I will be fine." She does look less pale than she was a moment ago.
    "You will have to nag at your mom though, she shouldn't have done that." She smiles. "I will have to send her a bill." It sounds like she's making a joke, and she might be. Dena just hadn't decided exactly how she'd use this. She could just send Sakura a bill to repay her for the damages and for her to get fixed again but there might be other ways to use that guilt.

[Checkup]

Astrana looks back at Kirk stone-faced. "I had to make sure you were alright fast, sir. You weren't responding to other stimuli and pain is the quickest and most effective way to go. It's protocol after interacting with spirits in that manner." She gestures at him. "But it seems you are in perfect health, so I apologize." Then the warlock turns to Tina. "That's up to mister Locke. I wasn't sure if this assignment was on the house or not. But otherwise I took the opportunity to write up your bill while you were out. You can pay by credit, debit or electronic transfer."

[Somewhere near MERC]

"Excellent, excellent, my offer is thus, I will sell you this entire place and everything that comes with for only a tiny, minuscule really, fraction of what it cost to built. Then you will be able to use it for whatever you want. Perhaps you could actually make money out of it or repurpose all this space for something." He gestures at the tv-screens behind him. "The tunnels lead all the way to Inside, Riverside and Skyside, in addition to less known cities within the nexus. I imagine that will be of some use."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-05-04 at 06:06 AM.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

[Dance Lesson]

"Right, sweetie we should probably let Dena rst now. Okay. If she wants to talk to me we can do that later." Sakura takes Laela's hand.

"Okay, bye Dena! See you next lesson! Feel better." She waves goodbye.

If Dena wants to say more to the pair they can certainly be stopped, but otherwise they'll be heading home.

[Checkup]

Kirk arches his eyebrow at her, but he doesn't press the issue. "It is on the house. Let us know as soon as you find anything. I'll get you Fettina's contact information later." He nods to Astrana and then refocuses on Fettina. "I believe I promised you ice cream?" He says with a charming smile.

6. - Top - End - #876

NinjaGuy

Merc Office

Electra makes another note internally, before nodding.

"It would be helpful to have a name associated with your contract. It can be a code name if you'd prefer, we do understand the need for discretion."
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2019-05-05 at 11:21 AM.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ettin in the Playground

Merc Office

The spider nods quickly.

The contract is for Lady Arachne. You can press that red button if you have any further questions and someone will come to communicate.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

8. - Top - End - #878

[Checkup]

Fettina wonders for a second what might be going on between these two, but is quickly and aptly distracted. Sh offers her hand to Kirk daintily. "Why yes, sir, you did." She titters. "Thank you again, Astrana! I guess we're gonna hit the road now. Please, just, um..." She casts her eyes down for a moment. "Hurry."

[Somewhere near MERC]

"I thought the mercenaries were using it already," says Maiel, turning to look at the irritating little creature.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

9. - Top - End - #879

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [MERC Office - Dipsnig]

"That's something," Dipsnig agrees. "If Rilla can analyse a trace of the magic that animates you, we could find recognize your creator's work if we find it elsewhere."
    [MERC Office - Dipsnig]

Fade nods.
    "Where can I find 'Rilla'?" he asks. As far as his player remembers he didn't met her, but maybe he forgot.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

10. - Top - End - #880

[Somewhere near MERC]

"They are, but there is no reason for you to uphold the bargain I made with them. I mean, I technically still own this place. The deal was simply for me to let them use them."
    The man in the suit explains as he keeps up a winning smile. "I mean, while they can threaten someone as lowly as me, I doubt they can stand up to a mighty being such as yourself. Thus, you would have no reason to worry at all."

[Checkup]

"I will, don't worry. I'll prioritize this assignment. Promise." Astrana remarks with a smile before they leave.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

[MERC Office - Dipsnig ==> Laboratory]

"She's in her laboratory right now," Dipsnig says. "I can take you there and help explain this whole thing." He closes the ledger and leads Fade out of his office. He heads to another part of the base, where Rilla's laboratory is located.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #882

NinjaGuy

Merc Office

Electra nods, and places the button with the retainer the spider gave her. Then she quickly works up a description on her internal HUD and prints it out on the printer under the desk:

Job Description:
    Multiple agents needed to provide discreet security for a formal event of 100+ guests. Must be able to blend into a formal environment. Uniforms will be provided before the event. Agents must also be able to mingle with a crowd at such an event.
    Contract Type: Licensed Contract.
    Hired by: Lady Arachne (WarKitty).
    Target: N/A
    Payment: Appropriate compensation provided, along with food at the event; retainer has already been paid.
    Notes: If any requirements are in question, contact MERC staff members so they can contact the client. Contact means has been provided.
    She takes the sheet and shows it to the spider.

"I trust these terms are correct? If so, I'll go ahead and post this for our members and licensees. And, you might as well inform Lady Arachne that there will be at least one other MERC member there to provide security, and to provide a bit of command structure for the licensees who might be interested: myself. I'm looking forward to it." Electra smiles, a look of genuine enjoyment on her face. It's been quite awhile since she's had the opportunity for a job like this one, and she's not about to miss out on it.
    Last edited by Nova_Eclipse; 2019-05-11 at 02:02 PM.
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

13. - Top - End - #883

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Somewhere near MERC]

"They are, but there is no reason for you to uphold the bargain I made with them. I mean, I technically still own this place. The deal was simply for me to let them use them."
    The man in the suit explains as he keeps up a winning smile. "I mean, while they can threaten someone as lowly as me, I doubt they can stand up to a mighty being such as yourself. Thus, you would have no reason to worry at all."
    [Somewhere near MERC]

"Not interested," says Maiel, finally seeming to give the demon his full attention. "But I know someone who might be. Don't go running off." He looks to the door. "Is there anything else down here besides you and your tunnels?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

14. - Top - End - #884

[Scheming Schemes]

NO CALLER ID

That could be a lot of people but Dena had a sneaking suspicion that it was important considering they somehow had her personal number. But she couldn't devote much time to this call, she was still waiting for VIGIL and MERC to call back regarding the results of the facestealer operation. They really should have made up some kind of password for that in case they got assimilated...

But it was best to get this over with first.

"You're talking to Dena Xifhara, how may I help you?"

"Dena!" Oh no. "How pleasant to hear your illustrious voice once again. It really has been far too long since we last spoke. How time flies, doesn't it?" She didn't fall into the trap of trying to cut in since she knew that it would take a while before he would let her into the conversation. "Are you watching channel 7 right now by any chance?"

This time the pause was longer, so for once the question wasn't actually rhetorical? "No, I don't watch much tv. What is this about?" Better get to the point so this wouldn't take her entire afternoon again.

"Great! Don't." The sudden forcefulness of his voice made her blink, something serious was going on. She rushed out to her desk and grabbed a sheet of paper and a pen. She would have to write things down.

"Right now I'm watching one of the most unfortunate reporters I ever seen accidentally spread the memetic virus to hundredsor dozens depending on channel 7's ratingsof unsuspecting viewers. Can you believe her last name is 'Harpy'? It's almost unfortunate her first name doesn't start with an A, but perhaps that's asking for too much considering all the unlikely circumstances that have already happened."

'Harpy'? Dena searched her memory as she listened, vaguely recalling a harpy reporter with that last name in a skimpy yellow outfit making some kind of reportage.

"But as I was saying, don't do it yourself. Most people are less fortunate than me, including yourself I suspect. Nevertheless, you are now dealing with two plagues it seems and the question of course becomes, did our common enemy start it? Right now, my answer would be 'no', but I don't have nearly enough information as I would like in this sort of situation and it does seem rather peculiar that these two events would interject like this. So I'm going to ask you to keep an eye out for any information that could clarify what's going on. We need as much of it as possible before our combined efforts can bear any fruit."

Finally, there was another longer pause. It seemed like not even he could talk forever. "Yeah, yeah... about that, I think I have some candidates for the job. Can I still assume you're sending in Jaahlyn? Since if we could get VIGIL on the job too somehow that would make it at least five members. Not including everyone they'll bring along with them."

"Her, and possibly her closest kin. Depends on if he can finish off another job in time. Working on very tight time tables here. But don't worry too much about VIGIL, most of their members wouldn't be the right people for this. Not to mention that one of their commanders and I have somewhat of a mixed history together. Focus on getting the information we need instead, we still need to contact the 'hero' and the old guards. Ideally, we'll work with both and get in there alongside the 'hero' or right after."

"And we're not just going to, I dunno, help him? Seems like it would be a lot easier to loot the place once the owner is gone."

"We'll help! Don't worry about that, anything he asks for will be hiswithin reasonbut if I know him as well as I think I do, he's going to insist on facing off with her himself in their final battle. He's a stickler for drama you know? Perhaps I could make someone shank her in the back if things don't work out while she's distracted. Since you know what they say about wizards, no matter the power a blade in the right place and time can seriously mess with their style."

"I keep hearing that, but they always seem to be able to undo everything with magic. I'm gonna my members to follow his preferences in the matter at least. Hopefully, he's more clever than he seems. I still got no idea how he's supposed to fight her on his own considering his utter lack of resources."

"Ah, but that's the charm with it, isn't it? The lone hero against insurmountable odds that somehow triumphs at the end. It's a classic that our hero is trying to channel."

"Somehow, I don't believe even you believe that considering your backstabbing plans."

"Tsk, don't ruin it now. I'm just making sure this story has a happy ending. One way or the other."

"If you say so. But I actually have a few things to do, are we done now?" Dena draw a little shadowy figure on the paper with an arrow sticking out of it.

"Almost. I actually wanted to schedule a meeting with you too while I'm making housecalls. Do you think you could summon me tomorrow at noon? I need to discuss something of importance in person."

"...sure, if the facestealers haven't taken over Inside by tomorrow, I should have time over lunch. Just what is this about though? Seeing you in 'person' isn't too much different of talking over the phone you know."

"Don't worry about that. I will make sure things work our in our favor and be sure I have reasons for calling this meeting. It'll be quite important, promise. Farewell now..."
    And he hang up rather abruptly. Dena looked at her phone for a moment, just what was she getting herself into here?

[Somewhere near MERC]

For a moment, the man looks deeply disappointed until Maiel mentions other interests, then he's all smiles again. "The occasional dungeon-creature. You can't build a place such as this in a world like this without some unwanted guests wandering in. When I had a larger staff I was able to fend them off but alas, I've been forced to fire everyone that isn't absolutely crucial to make this place tick." He shakes his head. "That ghastly creature that visited me was one of those monsters, probably drawn here by pure instinct."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-05-14 at 10:55 AM.

15. - Top - End - #885

"She's in her laboratory right now," Dipsnig says. "I can take you there and help explain this whole thing." He closes the ledger and leads Fade out of his office. He heads to another part of the base, where Rilla's laboratory is located.

Fade followes up. To speed things up he remains silent.

16. - Top - End - #886

[Somewhere near MERC]

"Your offer is sounding less and less appealing. Well. If this isn't some sort of waiting treasure trove..."

Maiel moves to leave. He intends to head back to KABAL and apprise them of the situation. If they seem interested, they can feel free to buy this place up themselves. Or take it. Up to them...

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

17. - Top - End - #887

[Somewhere near MERC]

"Um, it'll make a great dungeon too! The monsters bring loot with them! You, or your investors, could sell dungeon tours, something for the whole family! You could take photos with monsters you slayed, tweet out the loot you gained-" The man rants as Maiel is leaving, the last thing he can hear of him being, "Call me!"

Then he's free to leave. Nothing here can really stop him.

Tellysandra will nonetheless be pleased by the information he's brought her. But what she will do with it is anyone's guess...
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-05-17 at 05:44 AM.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post

Fade followes up. To speed things up he remains silent.
    [Rilla's Lab]

The pair of them will find the blue-haired asura. Her large ears are pointed upwards as she focuses on some contraption or another, though she does glance over at the door when it opens, "Kaggin, hand me the light array; I just need to finish attaching the wires and it should be good to go."
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

[Rilla's Lab]

Dipsnig stops a few steps inside the labs and motions for Fade to do the same. He knows better than to interrupt a procedure. Fade will see a slightly overweight young goblin with brown skin like Dipsnig's hand the component Rilla requested to her.

"This is Rilla, my wife and our magic technician. The youngster next to her is our nephew and her lab assistant," Dipsnig explains to Fade. "Let's wait for them to finish and then we can talk about what we need."

20. - Top - End - #890

[Rilla's Lab]

Fade nods. He hasn't understand the use of a marriage yet, and looks confused when he mentions it. He nods to the two when they look at them but remains silent. When the light array flicks in the light seems to blind Fade more then other people.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

[Rilla's Lab]

"A few more adjustments and..." a click, the contraption whirs to life, and a holographic projection comes into being above the table. It's a flat window, currently blank save for the word "SUCCESS" written in large blue letters. It's likely not any greater than the normal lights in the place, so there's no reason why he'd be blinded.

With a broad smile, Rilla reaches down to a rag to wipe the grease off her hands as she moves over to give Dispnig a kiss on the cheek before turning to Fade, "Yoooouuu... look familiar. I think I've read your file."

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

[Rilla's Lab]

"That's Fade, one of our longtime members," Dipsnig says, by way of explanation. "I don't think he's ever had reason to come to your lab. Now he needs your help to track down the man who... created him."

Kaggin stays behind to clean up the area, put some tools aside and such.

23. - Top - End - #893

[Rilla's Lab]

Fade nods as he is introduced.

"Yes, I have no clue about most technologie so i never need to get down here." he says in his typical unstressed speech. "I was told you got something to track him down using the fact that he created me."

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

[Rilla's Lab]

"You're an elemental, right? Some kind of shadow construct?"
    Rilla asks, looking Fade over, "If so, I can help. This kind of magic leaves a particular signature, and sapience always has an impression on it from the one who shaped it," She rushes off to a corner of the room and starts rooting through her tools and materials, "No... no.... oh, that's where I put that... aha!" She pulls out an odd contraption that almost looks like a remote control with a tuning fork attached, and carries it back over to Fade. She flips a dial and then hands the object to him, before clicking away at a holographic interface projected by a bracer on her left arm, "I'm going to need you to carry this for a couple hours so that it can attune to your particular essence. Once you've done that, I should be able to get you the telemetry data you need to develop a tracker for your creator."

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

[Rilla's Lab]

"A shadow construct is a good way to put it, I suppose," Dipsnig says, but doesn't have much to add. Fade doesn't know a lot about his nature himself.

26. - Top - End - #896

[Rilla's Lab]

Fade nods to Dipsnig and then turns to Rilla.
    "I'm not sure if I'm a shadow construct." Fade says. He grabs the device either way.
    "There isn't much about me I can say, rather then I wasn't born like most humanoid creatures."

He will look around to see if there is any place to take a seat. If so he sits down waiting the time passing bye. Obviously he got not much else to do. No contracts at all or such.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

[Rilla's Lab]

There is indeed a place to sit down - a small bench in the east section of the room. It's comfortable for someone of Asura or Goblin size, though perhaps not entirely pleasant for someone of human stature. In the end, it won't take the full two hours of Fade carrying the object, as Rilla says "Huh. You've got a strong enough signature that it's already attuned."

She types away at one of the holographic interfaces she has in the room, bringing up a fuzzy picture of the Nexus at large - fuzzy, given it's ever shifting. There should be several regions where magic similar to Fade's personal signature can be found, and she points to them, "You should take a look at any of these. Even if they're not precisely what you're looking for, they have a similar enough signature that they should lead you in the right direction."

((Just giving Zefir an excuse to move the plot forward. I don't know where these places are, as Zefir has to be the one to define them.))

28. - Top - End - #898

[Rilla's Lab]

The bench will do enougth. Dipsnig migth be long gone I guess. Rilla and Kaggin migth notice that Fade is very silent. Even on this uncomfortable place he didn't move much. Only Fade's shadow stalks a bit around in the room watching the tools. He doesn't touch any, since he got no idea what those things can do.

As the map pops up there are several smaller readings around all across the nexus. Rilla might identify them as places his 'magic' signature left behind a signal. Maybe some kind of Portal opening? The taverns, Trogs , BDD and Dancing Fox in got more readings but two other places will shine out. First one is MERC. Obviously the readings of Fade himself (unless her tool filters them) and the other one will be Skyside.

"Can you hand this to Dipsnig?" Fade asks. "It's for a contract I want to form. For some reasons I won't be able to face my creator."

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

[Rilla's Lab]

"I'll forward him the map data," Rilla responds, typing at a few holographic keys, "It looks like skyside is your destination of choice for whatever mission you're going on."

30. - Top - End - #900
    Pixie in the Playground

[New Recruit - Malee]

Malee walks in, presumably with Emily in tow! She's a water dragonoid female with hair plaited in boxer braids, the tails resting on her chest and reaching up to just above her ample breasts. She’s 9 feet with a body mostly covered in blue dragon scales, the one on her chest coloured closer to white. She has onyx-like horns poking out of her forehead and a muscular body, her hands and feet clawed. Her eyes are a reptilian green, and when she grins, a pair of tusks stand prominent among the razor-sharp teeth.

She confidently makes her way to the front desk. "Malee Metanee, looking for a license, a job and a place to stay." She announces.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.