New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVIII: Affordable Misdeeds and Friendly Canines

[Riverside Office - Flake]

The old manor is bustling with activity. Flake will see many different people, quite a few of them gnolls and Skaven like the pair he met before. There are several desks that are approached by applicants and Flake will eventually stand before one, after waiting in a line a bit. Behind it sits a smartly-dressed bubgear lady with a pair of spectacles.

"How can MERC help you, sir?" she asks.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-07-20 at 09:03 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Main Room]

"I'll check out the job board," she promises - probably going to do it after fixing the belt.

She stands up and goes over to be given the papers and other information stuffs that he's printing, and to wait for all the other things he has to do.

The catgirl looks at it. "No, uh...I meant, like, what kind of metal it is and how the leather was treated. Metals can have a lot of different properties depending on the exact alloy and how it was prepared and how it was treated and what was used to make it, and..." She realizes that he probably doesn't care about that. "...so, anyway, if you don't know then it probably doesn't matter to you and I could probably figure it out based on looking at it closely."

"I assume the labs are still through the hospital? That's where they were before..." Marin trails off, trying to decide where she was going with this sentence. "Give it to me, and I'll get on repairing it and fixing it right away.
    [Main Room]

Papers over papers, Insurance, Discount, information, address whatever. It's the standard everyone has to sign.

Fade eyes the belt he holds up.

"The leather appears to be a common one, there wasn't much need for treating yet since I barly wore it. No use wearing a broken device. As for the metal, I wasn't told what it is and can only guess by the look. iron maybe steel.
    Yes the layout has not changed."

He hands the belt over, from the look it appears not broken, but also she can tell it doesn't look like it is working either
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

3. - Top - End - #933

[Main Room]

The catgirl, before leaving, decides it would be best to find out what's wrong with it now.

As she looks at it, she asks Fade, "So, can you tell me what's specifically wrong with it?" If he knows, then it saves her a lot of time trying to figure it out.

While waiting for an answer and while listening to the answer, she begins experimenting different things with it: sliding it open and closed, tightening it, loosening it, looking at different parts of it and examining it from different angles.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #934

[Main Room]

Fade finishes his PC work befor he turns to Marin.

"In short it doesn't work." he says. "Last time I used it I got nearly shot by a energy weapon in short range. After that it didn't worked anymore. Maybe it got broken in that fight."

Fade got no real idea of what happened to this thing and his knowledge about high tech is very low. He can use it, but if it doesn't work he needs to call support.

Looking at it reveals that the leather part got a cable inside of hit, obviously to shield all around. Other then that there is only the belt buckle. From outside it looks rather mundane, but if she can sense it there is still a burnt scent on it, which will intense when she puts the belt on or just closing it. The lit of the buckle fits in well and is also fixed with screws. Obviously to prevent it from open during a fight.

Should she have some toos at hand she can open it, revealing a high tech shield generator inside the buckle, but several cables and the power source are heavy damaged from some burnts. They defnitly need repair or replacement.

5. - Top - End - #935

[Main Room]

Between looking at the cable and using her pocket knife to open it, she's able to figure out what's wrong with it: "I can see what's wrong. Looks like some parts need to be replaced. If we have the parts here, it will be as good as new in less than an hour." Some of that time will be, of course, testing it to make sure it's working.

But what if the parts aren't here? "If not...then three or four hours to run to Riverside for a quick shopping trip."

Okay.
    She heads towards the [lab] to see if there's enough parts here to replace and fix it. Upon leaving the room, she gives a wave to him.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

6. - Top - End - #936

[Main Room] -> [The Lab]

"Take your time." Fade says in his usual voice. "There is no mission coming up so I won't need it." He then let's her get to the Lab.

Since the device wasn't from MERC it doesn#t have spare parts for it. At best there are a few cables that might be usefull as replacements but they also might not work with it. Thought there might be some devices with fitting parts, but is it okay to break other stuff for that?

7. - Top - End - #937

[The Lab]

Is it okay to walk into a lab and cannibalize other things for one specific part without asking anyone else?
    No.
    It's not.

Marin does, however, replace the worst cables and repairs whichever look like they can be fixed. She tests them to make sure power can go through them and that they hook up with the original piece. That way, she'll be able to test the new replacement part immediately upon getting it.

Then, she leaves the lab. As she walks through the main room, she waves and announces, "Going shopping to get the replacement part."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

8. - Top - End - #938

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

The old manor is bustling with activity. Flake will see many different people, quite a few of them gnolls and Skaven like the pair he met before. There are several desks that are approached by applicants and Flake will eventually stand before one, after waiting in a line a bit. Behind it sits a smartly-dressed bubgear lady with a pair of spectacles.

"How can MERC help you, sir?" she asks.

"Interesting choice of words." Flake flashed the bugbear a set of charcoal blacks. "But I'm afraid you have the roles reversed. I'm here to help MERC. Which is my roundabout way of saying I'm applying for a job."
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

"I see," the bugbear says, getting some papers out of a nearby tray. "A license or full membership? I can inform you about the difference if you're not aware yet."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #940

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [The Lab]

Is it okay to walk into a lab and cannibalize other things for one specific part without asking anyone else?
    No.
    It's not.

Marin does, however, replace the worst cables and repairs whichever look like they can be fixed. She tests them to make sure power can go through them and that they hook up with the original piece. That way, she'll be able to test the new replacement part immediately upon getting it.

Then, she leaves the lab. As she walks through the main room, she waves and announces, "Going shopping to get the replacement part."
    [Main Room]

Fade doesn't seem to be here anymore, but she will hear a "Ok!" as she passes bye.

11. - Top - End - #941

"I see," the bugbear says, getting some papers out of a nearby tray. "A license or full membership? I can inform you about the difference if you're not aware yet."

"Well, I suppose we had better start with a license and see where it goes from there." Flake replies. "Would you mind filling in the forms for me? I'm likely to get them soaked."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

The clerk looks Flake over and seems to agree with his assessment.

"I'll still need a signature, but otherwise yes. Please tell me your name and residence, or otherwise a way to contact you. A licence will entitle you to a variety of benefits, in exchange for a percentage of your profits going to MERC."

13. - Top - End - #943

"Right, then. The name's Flake. Just Flake, only one name. Like Madonna." He smirks a little. "As for address... I've set myself up with some long-term accomodations at [INN], so if you need to contact me, just send whomever up there."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

The bugbear fills out the forms deftly.

"Everything seems to be in order. I can put your files in a waterproof case if you want. Now..." she says as she does it. "As a holder of the MERC license, you're entitled to jobs from our board, discounts in several stores and taverns and protection from dishonest employers. The requirement is to pay a percentage of your earnings and never work with slavers or owners of slaves."

15. - Top - End - #945

The bugbear fills out the forms deftly.

"Everything seems to be in order. I can put your files in a waterproof case if you want. Now..." she says as she does it. "As a holder of the MERC license, you're entitled to jobs from our board, discounts in several stores and taverns and protection from dishonest employers. The requirement is to pay a percentage of your earnings and never work with slavers or owners of slaves."

"Slavers, you say? That sounds... oddly specific." Flake replies. "Considering that doesn't rule out Thief's or Assassin's Guilds, known criminals up to and including serial killers, cannibals, poachers, arsonists, and jaywalkers, I mean. I can't help but wonder what the story is there."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

"I understand that this matter holds some importance to the Chief Executive and one of the senior officers," the bugbear replies. "MERC reserves the right to turn down jobs that would damage our interests or reputation, of course, but license-holders have leeway in who they work for."

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Office - Someplace Official]

Jazirian wanders around, looking for a boss or someone to talk to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Office - Someplace Official]

Someplace official? Well Kirk's office is technically that. Generally personal offices are pretty official. He's also in at the moment, which can't be said for Dena and Dipsnig. His door's open and he was going over some paperwork, but sometime in the last several minutes he's kicked his feet up on the desk and started reading a newspaper.

19. - Top - End - #949

[Kirk's Room - Weekend]

Around noon there is a knock on Kirk's door, but Dena isn't waiting around for him to get it. She will open it right away unless he had it locked.
    Judging by her attire, she means business. "Kirky? We need to talk."

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

[Kirk's Office - Weekend]

Kirk's room is empty at the moment, but in the second place she checks, his office, she finds the drow busy writing something. Whens he appears, however, he shoves the papers to the side and gives her a look. Something's up. "By all means." He gestures to the seat opposite him. "Is this Merc business, or something else?"

21. - Top - End - #951

"Let's say both. MERC technically just got hired but this is a bit more personal than that." She replies as she takes the offered up seat. "First, I have mentioned Helios, right?" Kirk will recall that Dena has mentioned a person by that name that she has been working with lately. He's apparently helping MERC with information gathering.
    "Since he's the one that hired us." A beat. "He wants us to find a gorgon for him."

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

Kirk furrows his brow. "You've been in contact with this guy, right? Does he know you're..." He gestures at her. The snakes are a bit of a giveaway. "Unless he's got some less than noble intentions?"

23. - Top - End - #953

"He knows." Dena quickly summarizes. "But the thing is, he needs a specific type of gorgon and I'm pretty sure he means me specifically even if he seemed to go through great lengths to avoid saying it outright. Otherwise he could likely have found one himself, the guy knows a lot. Information brokers are dangerous that way." She let's out a sigh. "So under the guise of hiring MERC, he's actually proposing me to... well, he seems to believe this special type of gorgon can resurrect some race of dragons and if that sounds weird its because it is. But he put up quite an incentive. For one, the ability to control the gaze. You know which one."

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

At that Kirk sits up a bit more straight. "Control your gaze? For real? That's one hell of an offer." Like, for real. Almost too good to be true, honestly, but Kirk will save his concerns until after the full explanation. "So he thinks you can do something to bring back these dragons? Sure, no skin off our nose if some more dragons are kicking around. And how are you supposed to be 'special'? You know, aside from the obvious." He gives her a sly wink.

25. - Top - End - #955

Dena does raises her finger as if to signal she wasn't quite done yet. No winking yet. "One from his home world I believe, which apparently I am. And the thing is..." She takes a deep breath. "Apparently, these dragons have some pretty messed up way of reproducing or... how they were made in the first place? I honestly didn't quite get it. The bottom line is that gorgons give birth to dragons, which for some reason are born in human-form. I thought it sounded completely insane and he agreed but that's the way it is. He wants gorgons that are willing to sell him dragon babies."

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ogre in the Playground

It takes a second for that to sink in, but when it does, "What? Is he insane? What the hell kind of creep asks for something like that?" It's absurd, even if the incentive is objectively good. "To hell with him. The way I see it, if he knows some way to control your gaze, then we'll go over his head and figure it out ourselves. We know the solution is out there now. Who gives a damn about his request."

27. - Top - End - #957

Dena leans back in her seat so far her head is almost hanging over the back of it for a moment. "You gotta admit, if we don't include me it's hardly the most insane mission we've accepted. We'd go around interviewing gorgons like it was nothing." She positions herself more casually in her seat and leans closer. "No, the insane part is that I'm the closest 'target' and the fact he's aware of it. He played innocent the whole time though." She shakes her head. "But of course, when I asked how the **** this would lead to gorgons being able to control their gaze he claimed that it came with the whole dragon-baby thing. Like baby-popping would make things less deadly. He didn't even seem to know all the details himself. Just made a bunch of educated guesses from some 'ancient scriptures' he found."

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

"Talk about a coincidence. You ought to tell him to shove his offer up his ass." Kirk leans back in his seat, stewing. He sits like that for a moment, a dark look on his face. "You said you've dealt with this guy before. Is he such an idiot that he'd think a story like that would work?"

29. - Top - End - #959

Dena shrugs nonchalantly, not wearing her emotions on her sleeve as much as Kirk seems to be at the moment. "He likes to talk, I can tell you that much. So more of an loudmouth than an idiot as he always seem to have a plan with everything he does. He offered references and proof to back up his claims but I declined at the time." She pauses. "He got spies everywhere. Both ordinary people and these invisible spirits. He's had them spy for MERC, finding out far more about KABAL than we could have accomplished ourselves. So what I'm saying is that he got the power behind all that talk."

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

Kirk narrows his eyes, but sets aside his thoughts on that for the moment. "And what do you think of this offer? I'd have expected you to be at least as pissed off as I am."