New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Your thoughts on Shadow Sun Ninja prestige class?

This prestige class seems cool and strong for how easy it is to get. The Balance of Light and Dark ability with the ability to deal a lot of unarmed strikes seems good for taking out a strong enemy while also having some negative aspects so as to keep it in check. It also seems like it would be fun to roleplay as well.

Your thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Your thoughts on Shadow Sun Ninja prestige class?

The main drawback of the prestige class (of all the tome of battle prestige classes) is the highly limited maneuver disciple school availability, as well as losing the ability to train out lower level maneuvers for higher level ones. When you take that into account, most of the tome of battle prestige classes become far less powerful.

Edit: You also appear to only get one maneuver known every 3 levels (plus one at 1st level), which means as you progress there will be levels where you don't have access to the highest level of available maneuvers. Compared the the most likely entry class, the swordsage, which gets a maneuver known at every level, plus the extra maneuvers readied, only one every 5 levels, compared to the swordsage of an extra readied maneuver every 2.5 levels or so.
    Last edited by Crake; 2018-01-25 at 03:19 AM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shadow Sun Ninja is a reliable way to make vampires who are immune to the sun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    The main drawback of the prestige class (of all the tome of battle prestige classes) is the highly limited maneuver disciple school availability, as well as losing the ability to train out lower level maneuvers for higher level ones. When you take that into account, most of the tome of battle prestige classes become far less powerful.

Edit: You also appear to only get one maneuver known every 3 levels (plus one at 1st level), which means as you progress there will be levels where you don't have access to the highest level of available maneuvers. Compared the the most likely entry class, the swordsage, which gets a maneuver known at every level, plus the extra maneuvers readied, only one every 5 levels, compared to the swordsage of an extra readied maneuver every 2.5 levels or so.
    Oh wow that's not good lol I wonder why the ToB prestige classes were made in such a way.

Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    Shadow Sun Ninja is a reliable way to make vampires who are immune to the sun.
    How so? I mean I know that if you die, you become a vampire in 1d4 days. I just thought you were an NPC at that point though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nuavion View Post

How so? I mean I know that if you die, you become a vampire in 1d4 days. I just thought you were an NPC at that point though.
    Vampire is a playable race. It's DM's call if you stay a PC after you become a vampire, but there are certainly games where PCs just start as vampires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eloel View Post
    Vampire is a playable race. It's DM's call if you stay a PC after you become a vampire, but there are certainly games where PCs just start as vampires.
    Actually, the class says explicitly that "[y]ou are now a dedicated champion of evil and an NPC." So, unless the DM decides to ignore the RAW, which he can do, this explicitly turns your character into an NPC.

Unless, of course, the party frees the PC soul from Dis. But in that case, the vampire is destroyed and the PC comes back to life - not as a vampire, but as a living PC again. So that doesn't quite work either.

But yeah. NPC. It's only "DM's call" if the DM wants to suspend RAW. Which, again, he can do, but don't paint it as a guaranty.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Actually, the class says explicitly that "[y]ou are now a dedicated champion of evil and an NPC." So, unless the DM decides to ignore the RAW, which he can do, this explicitly turns your character into an NPC.

Unless, of course, the party frees the PC soul from Dis. But in that case, the vampire is destroyed and the PC comes back to life - not as a vampire, but as a living PC again. So that doesn't quite work either.

But yeah. NPC. It's only "DM's call" if the DM wants to suspend RAW. Which, again, he can do, but don't paint it as a guaranty.
    I was thinking regular vampires, and not to vampires made by this class. You're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eloel View Post
    I was thinking regular vampires, and not to vampires made by this class. You're right.
    To be fair, it would be super cool if the PrC basically made you a sunlight-immune Evil Vampire who was not actually your PC but hijacking his body, and let you keep playing. Or, alternatively, if you kept your cool sunlight-immune Vampire powers after being rescued, but got to go back to being who you were pre-Vamp. That would be an awesome story hook.

Sadly, not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuavion View Post
    Oh wow that's not good lol I wonder why the ToB prestige classes were made in such a way.
    In theory, it's that you're giving up some maneuver progression/versatility in exchange for cool class-specific abilities.

In practice, bad writing/design.

So, basically most PrCs.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!