New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: City of Sinister Delights IC 3

Hannibal massage his temples and sit on the floor. Hell, it was a fun night and... No! Lights, no! Damn it!

He close his eyes and blink several times as he hear his hostress naked and clearly hangover. Pointing to her chest he is about to say "clothes" when she realize it herself. "You did say that and also throw up into some old time relic downstairs. If you ask me: classy".

Getting up, he kick Raikou's in the stomach. Not a strong kick, just one to make him get awake.
    "Party is over, Stormy. We have to go", he start donning off his armor, sicne they wont help him make a sneak exit, "Do you mind if I use the shower before I go? I think there is beer and grass on places there shouldnt be".

If allowed, he'll go and take a shower to wash away the beer, sweat and hangover out of him. A shame he didnt played well enough to get himself a warm bed, instead he got a very confortable floor. It happens.

"I'm okay. Found commodations in Runestone to avoid the whole problem with gpoing into and out of the Mercy. You know, with all that barricade and people being burned alive", he reports to Corwin while he shower (or not), "And tell Sasha I'll remediate that situation tonight and that I'll be bringing her some gifts. If she ask say they're surprise".

Once dressed and out of shower, assumming he was able to, he look at the punk girl and make the most grim and weird question one would receive in the morning with a very casual tone, "What would you ask the dead?"
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

@Elziabeth: Celaena's hands show an after shock of electricity as you are thrown back several feet by the creature's recoiling arm.

Spitting some blood as you skid on the stone floor, you look up at it and bestow upon yourself every possible blessing by Zodal as you get up and the Bandersnatch smacks you with its extendible claw.

Spoiler: AoO Claw
    Show
    20 damage

Celaena watches you get smacked and then looks at her wounds.

"I will live, Sister. Can't say the same about this one, though!""

The elf maiden places both hands up above her head and calls forth a rotating golden crackling orb as she launches it at the already weakened Bandersnatch, causing it to roar before it falls on its back, causing the two remaining caskets to burst open and two more of those horrid creatures come out.

One is too far away to reach both of you, but the other lunges at Celaena and lifts her by the neck, dropping her against the ground with such strength that bits of ceiling fall on the elf, as the creature whips her around like a feather.

Celaena may be caught, but she's not giving up the fight yet, tremendously hurt as she may be.

"Great... now there's two of them!""

Map

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Elizabeth & Celaena
    Bandersnatch x2

@Rusty: There is a similarity between a hammer hitting an anvil and one hitting your brain after a night of continuous drinking.

One sucks a lot more than the other as both you and Silvana echo your thoughts at her skeletal minion and this one leaves the room as dark as possible.

Silvana covers herself up to her neck with the sheets, wrapping them against her body like some cocoon as you mention her little surprise out in the hallway.

"I did that...heh! I left a similar surprise in Mary's Room last month. She was shagging Pottsdorff, one of Runestone's "Finest". Some lineage or what not. Whatever...

I snuck a zombie rat into her room while they were doing it. I think she noticed about five minutes in. Heh, aw hell. They have mages that will clean whatever mess I left out there in the hallway anyways.

And that would be me, LJ: Class Personified.""

On the matter of getting back to business, you punt the halfling in the stomach to wake him up and ask for the shower, as Silvana points to a door.

"It's a bit of a mess, but I got everything... just don't use the Vargouille Conditioner. This one gives you wings, and not of the good kind. Oh...and any things soaked in blood? Don't touch them.""

The bathroom is almost as big as the one in Sir Alexander's room back in the Ashford Manor, but an utter mess of clothes and all manner of alchemical products half opened and some utterly empty strewn around, with make up being the majority as you tip toe around the land mines of stuff and turn on the knobs of the shower head.

Cold refreshing water to wash away the alcohol from the night prior. You can even drink this one. It's not like The Mercy, where a single drop might kill you... if you're lucky.

As the water pelters your body, you close your eyes and respond to Corwin.

You slept over in Runestone? Odd: that place isn't known for being an inn. They only accept mages. enrolled ones to boot. We are aware, sadly, of the check points Connor has paced at the Mercy Wall... and did you just say burnt people? My god, what is that guy doing now? And why are they allowing this to happen?

Just be careful out there, Hannibal...and I will relay your message to Sasha. Be safe.

A couple of towels can be salvaged around the mountains of products haphazardly strewn about and as you dry up and walk out to the main bedroom, where Silvana is ready to put on her night goggles and hit the hay again before you cause the young goth girl to raise an eyebrow and sit on the edge of her bed, still wrapped in sheets and grinning wickedly.

"I like that, Meleemancer! Good morning to you too! Let's see, what would I ask the dead...

1. How did you die?

2. Do you know your killer?

3. Any regrets?

4. Do you wish to come back?

And that's just off the top of my head. You wouldn't happen to be carrying a dead man around, are you? Are you, LJ????""

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

That bathroom look more like a crime scene as he walk around. If he close his eyes he can retty much see it as being one of Alexia's laboratories... Nah, that bitch is rather organized. Alexia 1 x Silvanas 0.

He proceeds to shower: one of the three thigs he like to do naked. The other two being sleeping and sneak attack pouncing routine apparently. He take his time, not really in a rush and once he's done he walk back, not giving her the same courtesy he gave Elizabeth back on Sir Alexander's master room. Elizabeth... Is she still alive? Food for thought. Or food for the monsters which is more likely.

"I'm affraid I know all those answers already", he answer her and smile, "Me carrying a corpse? Unlikely. Just thinking about Folkir ad wondering... What do say to the dead?", he ask her and suggests, "Will you forgive me for living? I believe they call it survivor's trauma".

"But we'll be going now. Thanks so much for the pleasant night and this brief morning", he says carrying Raikou if needed, "Let's go out and drink some night again. Next time the drinks are on me".

Reaching for the door he give back one last glance, "And dont let anyone say you're a waste of money or potential: better be yourself than live in someone's else shoes". He then leaves, hoping to get away from these dorms with as little problems as possible and head for Sinio's place.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

@Rusty: Of course a girl like Silvana would have a mess for a bathroom. Alexia may be twisted and evil and utterly insane...

But at least she made sure everything was neat and gave all of you a shower upon entering her domain. Whether you remained clean or covered in your own blood a few minutes later, that's a different matter.

Once in her room, you listen to Silvana's answers and pretty much reach the same conclusion. It's better if she doesn't know you have a former Grand Master in your bag. Beheaded.

"Folkir... that was your friend, right? I am sorry, LJ. I never knew him, but death isn't so bad, you know? I learned that at a very young age. There's a lot going on with that in my family. As to what I can respond to that, well:

What do they do with your soul? Is it just lying there busted? When did you lose all control... Is there someone to be trusted?"

Silvana yawns loudly and calls you towards the bed as you carry Raikou like a furry duffel bag, as the Stormcaster snores and drools on the fine carpet as Silvana gives you a light kiss on the lips.

"I will hold you to that promise, LJ. But I must warn you: I can drink like a damn Goliath. Oh...and don't tell Sal you slept here...he's got kind of a crush on me and I put him in the Friendzone a few years ago."

And having said that, Silvana plops back on her fluffy pillows and covers her eyes with her night flaps.

"Silvana go sleepy now... ""

The skeletal minion clicks and clacks as he opens the door for both of you and you check the hallways.

You can hear the girls in the other fancy rooms getting dressed and giggling amongst themselves as you tip toe out of the grand hall and notice the smell of puke from last night on the ming vase, courtesy of Silvana as a familiar and unwanted face makes her presence known in the Maira Airdan Hall, surrounded by the Blonde Squad:

"Ughh... that is why I always tell daddy:

Runestone needs to be a lot more selective. Look at those two coming out of the Castaferni room. You can get the tramp out of the ghetto, but not the other way around... let's walk girls, we can't be late to our classes and I have a mani and pedi after third period. Did you call Lucio for that?""

One of the blonde groupies gulps and looks at her notes.

"Ye...yes! Noon session. He's been waiting for two weeks already.""

Mary looks at both you and Raikou from the corner of her eye and smiles.

"And now she's laying with halflings? Gross.... wait, I know that thing in the other thing's arm. Let's go, I don't want their tench to wash over me."

It's someone clearing her throat that cause everyone to turn around as a taller elderly woman walks towards all of you.

"Mary Skylarios! Are you done with your early morning poison? Go to class, all of you!""

Mary and her Blonde Squad bow to her and leave as hurriedly as possible.

The woman approaches both of you and raises an eyebrow as she looks at the door to Silvana's room and her skeletal minion pokes its head out, only to get back immediately once the old woman has seen him.

"If I had to guess, another midnight run in Maira Hall? You know the rules:

No boys allowed. Now scram and I will pretend I never saw anything.""

Campus is filled with all manner of mages- sorcerers, wizards, bards, warlocks... who knows how much firepower is in just this one place alone as the Eye in the Sky looms overhead and a woman's voice can be heard, addressing everyone below:

...and remember, His Holiness cares about your safety so much, that he allows you to practice your craft here and here only. Do not bite his most generous hand. Our City's Savior would be most displeased.

Remember: that door is not to be crossed by those enrolled here. It is your sacred sanctuary. And you wouldn't want your sanctuary marred by the choices of one rebel mage, would you? Now go brighten your minds and remember:

His Holiness is always watching because he cares so much...

Have a Lawful and Blessed Day!

A few mages, amongst Mary and her posse, applaud the announcement, but that's a very small number of people, as you watch several Cuthbertine Guards already stationing themselves around campus, eyes looking aroundf or any illegal activity as you head to Sinio's office, who has just finished opening the Bursar's Office and looks at you and Raikou, still carried like a drunken capibara as the old gnome, with heavy bags under his eyes and always flanked by tough looking soldiers finishes opening all the shutters to the clerk's office and looks at you from the other side of the counter.

"Good morning, Mister Lovejoy! You came here early! What may I interest you in this time around?""

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

When he hear she continuing the song he sang in innuendo, Hannibal smiles.

"Sadly I dont think his soul is free to go and might have to end his unlife soon", he says shivering at the thought, "But I'll figure ou what i do when that happens. When people lose lots of people they get used to death, but I still find it a little sad", he look to her skeletal dwarf and smile, "At least this one seems to be having fun".

He approaches the bed and receive her soft kiss, which help brighten up his day, "I saw you drinking like a goliath, alright. And I guess Maira also saw it", he laughs and leave the room.

And then his days start to get bad again.

"Mary Skylarios is your name?", he thinks outloud as er friend call her Mary, "Interesting. Grand-granddaughter of Bardak and Lenore I suppose?"

But whatever train of thought is lost as someone else with authority comes around, "Yes, ma'am. We are on our way out", he excuse himself and doesnt have to be old twice to get out of the girl dorms.

Once outside he feel that partying all night left him a little bit tired and in bad mood. Specially after Connorette's speech.

"A gilded cage is still a cage", he thinks to himself and present himself to Sinio, "Seems like both of us had little slee...", he yawns mid sentence, "As for my business here, I wonder if my gauntlets and shield are ready already", he asks even knowing he dropped.vth iteks at the last minute the other night, "Or maybe I should come back tonight just before closing? Also, do you guys have books about cooking? I know cooking isnt magic related, but doesnt cost i ask", he says and finish in his mind "Yet".

"Ah! And where can I find one of the great wizard guys you have in Runestone?"
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2018-01-31 at 04:22 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharkun cracks a wide smile when he hears Travis' answer.
    "Thank you Travis, this is most generous of you. I will follow your indications to go there. Ah, but unfortunately, Spell Immunity is too complicated for me to cast; but Lesser Restoration, I can deliver."

Sharkun is introduced to Noirin, who leads him into a small janitorial room for him to pray and rest. He bows to the master.
    "Master Noirin, my deepest thanks for your welcome. May the Goddess of Magic ever smile upon your studies."
    And he sets about to pray.

After having meditated, he puts his restful crystal on his armor, takes out his bedroll, and starts to snore sonorously till morning.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

@Rusty: Silvana listens to your words and looks at one of her tattoos on her wrist, showing it to you:

"That's Evening Glory. Some say she is the goddess of eternal love, one that transcends beyond death. Not many people worship her here, but it holds a special place for me. Not love as in a couple or any romantic bull like that, but true love between friends and... owww! My damn head hurts. You sure you don't have any hungover spell scrolls or something?

Look, I don't think it's cool to imprison a soul. This guy? My minion? I had him awakened. You think a regular skeleton would've been able to tuck me in? He used to be my friend when he was alive, back home before I was sent here. He asked me to have him come back, but with all his memories intact and so, he's now my bitch...heh!

Don't feel sad, LJ. I have learned that life is just one step to something grander. We are here for a very small amount of time when we consider EVERYTHING there is beyond. Value your friend for who he was, not for what he became... unless some a**hole turned him.

Then go all medieval on them.""

And upon the getting a kiss and leaving with drunk passed out Raikou under your arm like a dirty sheep, Silvana lays back in bed to recover her strength for her night classes.

"Maira is cool. Read some things about her in History of Halmathan... later LJ."

And once in the hall, the heir to the SMC and all its royalties looks at you from head to bottom and lifts her nose, a sign of disdain.

"Lady Skylarios to you... if you are ever to address me again. And you knew my grandparents? How old are you anyway? You worked for them? Then that would make you my employee...hehhehehee.

I don't know why the help are not instructed into how to speak to their superiors! What has this City devolved into? Good thing His Holiness is putting these people in their place."

The girls all agree in unison, like robots spat from that very company.

So right, Mary!

We can't have these people running around!

I swear I saw one of them orcs, you know... I swear he had a knife! A knife! Can you believe that???

But when the elder mage woman steps in, Mary and her posse scram and so do you and watch the Eye in the Sky giving its daily speech to the arcane masses below. Connor the man who cares... sure.

Tell that to the thirty men, women and children burnt the night prior outside The Mercy under his orders. He'll get what's coming to him too. Better believe it.

And as you make your way to see Sinio, the old gnome smiles and hands you gauntlets in a wooden box, placed on top of the shield.

"Had our blacksmiths work on this after I closed shop and before leaving Runestone. They should be what you were asking. As for cook books? Although many argue that cooking is a way of crafting spells and indeed spells can be crafted in a kitchen- at least the more practical ones, we don't have such textbooks here.""

Sinio writes down a an address for you and slides the piece of paper.

"The Market Circle in downtown. There's a Book Shoppe ran by a man named Felix. He has books and other curios you might find interesting. Maybe a cook book as well.

As for the Great Wizards? Mister Lovejoy, you refer to the Grand Masters. each governing one of the schools of Magic in the world. Great arcane authorities in this City. They are very busy, but one might be found around campus: Lady Fyrune Dalast, of Enchantments. She usually teached her class outdoors.

If you are feeling brave, master Rebgast Callis teaches Evocation a mile down campus in the Fire Field. Word of caution: they don't usually look where they blast.

The others, I am afraid are usually in the Tower of Magi, which is closed off unless you are invited.""

@Travis: The midnight oil finally gives away as you close the book and take a deep sigh.

The spell is recorded in your book. You can already hear the bell ringing- class is starting for the young mages and Noirin will be already lecturing them for hours. You have pretty much the day free, unless you decide to use more of your resources to copy more spells into your book.

@Sharkun: Thankful to Noirin for giving you such ample accommodations, you stretch out your cot and looking at the ceiling, thank Wee Jas for another uneventful day and get to rest in your heavy armor as your eyes feel extremely heavy....

It's a sound on the door as you instinctively get up and grab your guisarme and point it at the unholy intruder, as sunlight seeps from the open window and your foe stands at the door:

".... ummm. I'm Scruffy. The Janitor. Are you the guy they told me who;d be coming to clean the classrooms on the second floor? A bunch of monkeys were released by some random spell and it's a literal sh*t storm. That guisarme won't clean monkey poop, though.

You need a mop. Grab one and a bucket and follow me.""

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

"Probably medieval and meleemancy", he says to Silvana.

To Mary and her pose? Nothing, bunch of spoiled kids. One day she might get the Hammer for being such insolent brat. But not today.

After hearing they didnt have any magic book he sighs, "Thanks for the shield and gauntlets. And also thanks fr this address".

Making his way outside the shop he give up on meeting the Grand Masters. He wake up Raikou.

"Hey, Sleeping Beauty! I'm leaving Runestone, want to stay or go along?"

Regardless of the halflings answer he leave the school and hail a cab. He was almost sad that there was no delaying on his order that could explain another night of drunken talking.

"Let's go to this place", he tell the driver and show the address, "The Market Circle".

After a few minutes he ask, "This place... Is it within walking distance to the temple of Pelor?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

@Rusty: Silvana is already snoring with one leg sticking out of her bed as her sock dangles from her big toe and her minion walks up to it to retrieve it.

Who knows if you'll have a chance to party with these goth guys again, but they seem alright...

And then you meet Mary Skylarios. A racist elitist brat that is just begging to have a conversation with you and your Hammer. Mostly the Hammer, but that will have to wait, as you pick up your wares and get an address from Sinio.

Whether Raikou chooses to stay or not, you leave Runestone and hail a cab, asking to head to the Market Place as the man checks the address.

"That's downtown! Pelor's place is in the Royal district, east of the Market place. I can leave the meter running, if you wish.""

The City looks almost glittering under the sun...except for the Eyes in the Sky chugging black smoke overhead as more of those stupid news are relayed to the public below:

... we have news that the 36th regiment was able to arrest several Olidammaran terrorists the night prior. Amongst their vile agenda, seed Chaos in the City by contaminating our water supply. These misguided anarchists have now been moved to a detention facility where His Holiness will dispense fair and swift Justice.

Once again, the City of Power and all those within can rest easy, knowing that His Holiness is doing God's work.

Have a lawful and Blessed Day...

The 36th... that was the squad outside The Mercy. They didn't arrest anyone. That wasn't an arrest.... but why even bother bringing it up here, in a place where you might even get thrown in jail for saying something against that evil son of a bitch?

The cab drives down several rotundas and you find the colorful stores and kiosks around a giant fountain with a statue of a woman holding a staff, surrounded by dolphins.

"That's Lady Seraline, said to have been Queen Maira's traveling partner years ago. If you want, I can have the meter running. If not, that's three gold.""

The City Guard is here, of course, making sure nobody steals anything as people haggle and inspect wares that range from caged animals to fruits from exotic lands and even tapestries, but that's not where you want to go.

You need a book.

And it's Fantassio's Fanfare of the Fantastique Antique Shoppe that catches your eye as you open the door and a jingle of bells herald your presence:

A bunch of stuff. Some old. Some very old. They all range from tacky to actually pretty good, as several white shapes walk around the store and watch you from the high cabinets:

White cats... and at least seven of them, that you can see, as they purr and wag their bushy tails as you walk inside and admire the items when a figure greets you from behind a nice mahogany counter, puffing on a pipe:

"Welcome to my store, kind sir! You here to browse... or shop? I am Felix Fantassio, proprietor. Please! Take your time. Look...but don't touch... hehehhee!""

A catfolk. You have heard of them, but they are a strange sight in Halmathan. Stranger than Raptorans. Still, who knows what this guy might have here that you can buy for Sasha... or perhaps yourself.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, Ill fetch another later as I dont know how long it will take. Thanks", he pays the driver and adenture inside the fantastique shop.

Many many cats here, maybe Sasha would like to seem them, being a feline of sorts.

"Good morning, mr. Felix. Master Sinio from Runestone told me you might have what I'm looking for. Very interesting stuff you have here".

He checks the place for books, "Im looking for a cooking book and utensils for a friend of mine but maybe I can find something else as well. What do you have in stock?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

“How are you holding up?” Sister Elizabeth says as she channels a small amount of divine power through the space between her and Celaena raising the heavy mace once more before charging at the bandersnatch. “Put her down!” she says trying to wack its foot so it would put the mage down.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Using Close wounds as an immediate action and the last charge of the ring of mystic healing (ring would go off first, followed by spell making it not an illegal move) to heal Celaena (1d4+19)[23] 10 of which is temp hp

Charge action going off moving diagonally costing 10ft of movement instead of 5 she should be able to reach the bandersnatch (1d20+5)[17] Damage (1d8-3)[3] Bludgeoning damage just subtract 2 from attack if she can not reach it in a charge like I thought please. If she can not reach it in general though for an attack she would cast Mass Shield of Faith for a +3 AC to both on top of the healing.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

*Snore* "...Huh? Whatthehellisgoingon- YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" goes Sharkun as he jumps from deep slumber to surprise to reflexive defense.

Only to discover that instead of a Balor he's pointing his weapon at a rather unimpressed janitor. How embarrassing.
    "Erm, well", he says, quite ashamed as he lowers his guisarme. "Pleased to meet you, Scruffy. I am Sharkun, son of Thrazir. Sorry to disappoint you, but I am not the one who called yesterday for help. I have other matters to attend today" that are certainly more important than clearing monkey poop.

A Tiny-sized Sharkun with the Half-celestial template then poofs into existence next to his ear, and whispers to him:
    "Come on, you just squatted his closet for the night. Also, look, you moved in your sleep and mixed up all his organisation of cleaning products and stuff. Plus, he deserves bonus points for being the first person in history to ever pronounce the sentence "that guisarme won't clean monkey poop.""

"...but I will certainly put them aside and help you out on that matter. Here, help me remove my armor, and then I follow you".
    Sharkun, with the help of Scruffy, dons off his fullplate and stores it into his haversack, as well as his guisarme. He then takes a mop and a bucket.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

@Elizabeth: Watching Celaena take a hard blow as she 's punished by the Bandersnatch's long claw, you ensure she remains alive and as the second one emerges from its metal casket, charge the one punishing the elf and smack it with your mace, releasing Celaena, who falls back on the ground and upon watching the newcomer, waves her hands around as an explosion of multicolored fey explode around the furthest Bandersnatch, causing it to shut is eyes as it waves its one claw around.

"That should buy us some time. Now we can focus on this one. Be careful...""

But too late, as the beast you bashed roars and his arm bulges with inhuman strength, bashing you just like the other one before and sending you flying back with tremendous force!

Spoiler: Awesome Blow Crit!
    Show
    37 damage plus Reflex DC 37 or fall back 10ft. and prone

Map

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

Elizabeth & Celaena
    Bandersnatch x2

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"I will do my best, though I am getting low on spells, if anymore come I doubt we will be able to handle them all the way we are now." the priestess warns, before being sent flying back in the air 10ft and falling prone. Her bones snapping from the force of the blow as it takes all of her determination to remain conscious.

"Don't worry about me, just take care of this one." the old woman says talking about the one that had just sent her flying as golden energy is channeled through the amythest necklace and once more the priestess is healed, thankfully able to cast the spell during this combat without being distracted.

Spoiler: Empowered Spell shard of Cure Serious wounds
    Show

(3d8+27)[39] x1.5 58

Once healed the old woman stands once more, clearly still dazed from the last strike, but not out of the fight yet as she looks at the ugly beast before her that had just almost killed her. "Is that really the best you can do you oversized bug?" Sister Elizabeth says taunting the beast to attack her once more and leave Celaena alone. In truth though she doubted very much her luck would hold out much longer.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2018-01-31 at 08:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Travis wakes up, eager to once again prepare his daily spells. After his morning routine - including that - he feels somewhat better, but he notes Not good - I can't prepare all of what I'm likely to need in the madhouse.

He ponders his options for using the coin Rusty gave him as he stroll the campus in search of the others, particularly Raikou and Sharkun.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

@Elizabeth: Once again swatted back by the Bandersnatch, you spit some more blood on the cold stone as the other one, glittered up, begins moving without much direction around the cell.

You need to survive this in order to get out and save the Ashford family. Celaena has her own reasons, but at some point, both intertwine:

That mad man has caused already too much trouble for a lot of people. He has to answer for his actions. If not him, his twisted monstrous legacy. And so, you call on Zodal's strength to heal your body fully as you get up and the Bandersnatch grabs you by the neck, rage in its eyes as it squeezes your windpipe, sure to break the neck this time.

Spoiler: AoO Crit!
    Show
    40 damage

Celaena walks up to the creature as you can barely stand and places her hand against its rough hide, looking up at it.

"You are...FINISHED!!!!""

It's a Sound Lance spell, much like the ones used by Raikou, as the creature's chest explodes outward, expelling his rib cage and a gush of blood that drenches you from head to toe as the monster drops on its face.

Celaena rushes by your side as the last Bandersnatch ambles around blindly, slapping the walls and floor with his good arm before the elf helps you back to your feet.

"Life in The Mercy isn't really fair, Sister. Let's put this thing down while it's blinded.""

And so, both of you take on the last of Cutter's abominations, through a mix of mace and spells and even sword slashes from the elven maiden, who proves rather adept at such a rusted weapon before the creature roars in pain and succumbs to a combined effort from both.

In the end, both of you are badly hurt, as the three grates open and a secret panel opens beside the massive hammer on the ground, revealing a plethora of items.

Celaena looks around at the dead creatures and then rummages through the items.

"He left all of these here... why?"

Spoiler: The Caretaker's Stash
    Show
    +1 Adamantine Heavy Hammer w/ Wand Chamber

Wand of Wraithstrike (29 charges)

Brooch of Shielding (1500 gp)

Masterwork Short Sword (Medium) (310 gp)

Masterwork Shortspear (Medium) (301 gp)

+1 Sonic Composite Longbow (+2 Strength)

Masterwork Spiked Gauntlet (Medium) (305 gp)

Tanglefoot Bags (3 bags, 50 gp each)

Thunderstones (1 stones, 30 gp each)

+1 Mithral full plate of Speed

Wand of Entangle (CL 1st, 25 charges)

Leather Belt set with Smoky Quartz (500 gp)

Silver Circlet inlaid with Fine Steel (1300 gp)

Celaena looks at the now opened cells and listens to the distant screeches.

"It's your call, Sister...can you still fight?""

Map
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-01-31 at 10:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

“Now I see why Jarvis and the other staff are having such a hard time getting rid of all the creations Dr. Cutter set lose when he attacked the Ashford manor. These things are brutal.” Sister Elizabeth says spitting out blood from her newly formed wound, it seemed as quickly as she healed them these monsters created a new one. Alone she would have never been able to do this on her own, so it was a quick silent prayer up to Zodal for having Hannibal tell her about the woman that needed to be saved the day before. Without the information he had given her she would have never expected to make it out of this area alive. Now however she had a stash of items, a new friend, and a story to tell the others whenever they arrived to provide back up wherever they were.

“While life is not fair we should remember that this was once a person. We must show them the proper respect once they are defeated even if they are our enemies now due to Cutters mad experiments they were once people like you and me.” the priestess of Zodal replies to Celaena as the two of them make their way to the blind creature and put it out of the nightmarish pain it had been suffering for who knows how long. Once all the creatures were dead Sister Elizabeth held up her hands and prayed.

“Zodal allow these poor twisted souls that have suffered so long in agony from the chaotic mind of Dr. Cutter find peace once more in the land of the dead. May they find their families and loved ones once more and rest in peace, no longer tortured by the nightmare they have had to live for only you know how long. I ask this of you, The Grey Son. Show them the way home.”

As she finishes her prayer to Zodal she hears the three grates opening, as well as a panel by the side of the massive hammer. Looking through the items with Celaena the priestess can not help but ask herself the same question as she looks at the suit of armor for a long time before looking up to Celaena. “Would you mind helping me into this. I doubt it will help a great deal, and I know it will slow me down and make me almost useless in combat, but it may allow me to be able to avoid being hurt more meaning I can focus on keeping you alive.” the old woman asks, hoping between the two of them they could figure out how to put this armor on.

Once the armor is on she looks at the items they had already collected as well as those set out before them. “I think it would be best we only take what we can carry and hide the rest in this room, perhaps placing the hammer in one of the canisters the bandersnatchs came out of as well as the other belongings.” She says picking up the wand, the thunderstone, the three bags of tangelfoot and adding it to her potion of bull’s strength. “I can not use the brooch as it would take away the powers of my spellshard that allows my healing spells of a rather high level to become empowered. If you wish to take it I am sure it will prove useful eventually.” the old woman remarks kindly waiting for her to take what she wishes before speaking up.

“I believe once I use my wand to heal the two of us we should be fine for at least 1 or two more battles at most. How are you doing on spells?” Sister Elizabeth asks, more concerned about Celaena than herself as she tries to move around in the heavy armor and looks more like a drunken dwarf than anything else. “If you are willing I will drink this potion now to give us the best chance we can at out next encounter before we go on.” the priestess says holding the potion they had found earlier.

Spoiler: OOC stuff
    Show
    Taking 20 on a hide check for a total of 18 to hide the items they are not taking with them. If Celaena uses aid another it will be a full 20.

Wand is down to 30 charges left
    Using Cure minor wounds for the 10 temp hp
    Turning Mending into another Cure minor wounds to give Celaena 10 temp hp above her max
    and drinking the potion of bulls strength if celaena believes she has enough fire power to continue.
    Will Also cast Mass Conviction to grant both of us a +3 bonus to our saves if we are still moving on.

How much longer does magic circle against evil and the light spell have left from their orginal 90 minutes? As that may factor in on how much we can do.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

@Rusty: Felix drops the pipe from his mouth and one of his cats leaps off a shelf and refills it with more tobacco. And it becomes clear why:

The catfolk has nubs for hands, wrapped in old copper colored bandages as he hides them under his cloak and walks around to greet you while his pets prowl above and purr and watch.

"Ah! The Great Sinio. A master wizard at such a prestigious school. I know of him and he knows of me. Before the Grand Inquisitor placed the ban on items of power around the City, much of my wares became unavailable to the public at large. I do not wish to break any laws, but since the items here are rather ld, many have lost their power, if any to begin with.""

One of Felix's cats answers his master's call and paws at a drawer, opening it as Felix looks at you.

"Mind picking the books inside? My cats are good, but they lack the strength and opposable thumbs. We can place them on the counter."

The books are not that heavy, but they sure are dusty, as a cloud of it washes over the counter when you place them there and the catfolk sneezes.

"You are looking for a cook book, yes? My store has all manner of antiques. Many from far of lands. You are a cook? Then perhaps this book might be what you're looking for... Ah yes:

How to Serve Men

by Madam Illiana Plumsprite

This is an old Oeridian recipe book. Madam Victoria is said to have been a master brewer and cook, catering only to the finest palates. Tales recall that Kings and Gods alike would visit her home for a chance to savor her dishes. Some of the ingredients may or may not be found in this City- it is an old book after all- but you should be able to find something to replace some of the herbs and any other materials contained in its pages.

This is the only existing copy, by the way. She is said to have been very secretive about her recipes, but any who would master the dishes written in this book could become a chef or worldly renown.

But you are looking for something else, too? Cooking utensils, yes?""

The white cats push cushions below a large shelf as another drops several items, mainly a ladle, an apron and a large bronze pot.

"Now these come all the way from Geoff, said to have been used in Lord Brunhausser's duchy by that regions best cooks. These are collector items and if you wish to have the full set along with the book, I can look up my ledger. All prices are listed there.""

Felix walks around the store and turns to look at you, with a beautiful ornate music box designed with angel motifs.

"Are you a music man, sir? A connoisseur of tunes? This piece is aid to have been hand crafted by a bard that used to live in this very City, the Wandering Minstrel, Steiner Lacore. The man was a genius with all musical instruments and it is said that a tiny spark of his musical talent is still trapped inside the box. I haven't opened it, of course, but I can assure you as an item of decor, it will raise the value of your property a thousand fold!""

Felix walks around the counter and wrestles with the nubs for hands as he opens an old ink stained ledger and has one of his cats help him turn the pages as he turns the book around.

"These are the prices... after taxes, of course."

Spoiler: Prices
    Show

Book 1200 gp

ladle 800 gp

apron 800 gp

large bronze pot 1800 gp

music box 3000 gp

"I know what you may be thinking:

Felix must be insane to charge this for such mundane items! This is highway robbery!

And I completely understand your views, sir. But a reminder:

These are one of a kind... and some are said to hold power as of yet untapped. In the City, it would be folly to use them, but if you were to live somewhere where the Grand Inquisitor cannot notice... well, then that would be a different issue altogether, now would it?"

@Sharkun: You get ready to do battle with the unholy abomination from the Abyss as your guisarme is pointed directly at the demon known as...

Scruffy the Janitor.

"Hello, Sharkun, Son of Thrazir. You can call me Scruffy. I'll call you Sharkun, how's that? You best get that heavy armor off, unless you want it soiled. The second floor classroom is a mess and I sure could use a hand. Pick up a mop and a bucket and let's get started.""

Scruffy knows his way around these buildings dedicated to the arcane. Although a place like this should have enough magic to clean messes like this up, they still hire people to perform janitorial work, as you go up the stairs and find an elder mage leaning against the window with a hot cup mug of coffee who approaches both.

"Thank Boccob you came, Scruffy! Is that your assistant? Hi. Okay, the mess is inside and I thought it would have disappeared after yesterday's lesson... but it hasn't. I had to cancel class today and there are some valuable lab equipment inside. Try not to break any, please. You have the key?""

Scruffy looks at the door and you can already tell the inside wretches as the old janitor fumbles through his key ring.

"Nothing some lye can't fix, Professor. We'll be done quickly. Let's go, Sharkun."

The whole classroom is a mess, with desks turned over and chairs strewn about. Monkey dropping slide down the walls and their urine has formed large pools on the ground as Scruffy scratches his head and looks around.

"I don't get paid enough for this...""

And then, from the corner of your eye, several creatures pop their heads behind a fort made from broken desks:

Monkeys... and at least twelve of them. Given your training as a Jasidian, you can tell these aren't primates found in this world, but rather in realms such as the Beastlands or other tropical Realities from beyond.

These are usually called as summons- basic spells that even you ought to have access to.

Scruffy begins moping the mess and watches the monkeys as they turn their heads sideways and some disappear behind the desks as the janitor calls out to the mage in the hall.

"You mentioned monkey poop... not monkeys!""

..what? They are still there???

@Travis: Although you have rested and have reviewed your arcane tomes, chances are you won't be able to cover all bases if you decide to head back to Alexia's Manor of Madness.

The student body is already busy attending classes and you can see Noirin teaching the young minds in his own class, but further down the hall, you catch sight of another mage, who walks around i front of a room while yellow signs have been placed around the door and floor.

The area smells awful, like a zoo, as you catch sight of Sharkun... cleaning? And there's Scruffy, the old janitor. been around for years and chances are he may outlive you given your current life choices as the mage walks up to you.

"Hey! You are dictating class here as well? I just don't get it: I was teaching the apprentices the basic Summon Monster spell and a bunch of Celestial Monkeys came through. They were acting weird and starting wreaking havoc, so I dismissed the class and locked the door...

But when I came here this morning, the damn things are still here! A spell like that should've expired yesterday, at most a minute, and not even that. I don't want the Grand Masters or anyone else finding out about this, but it is strange for a spell like that to malfunction.""

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

@Elizabeth: Celaena helps you drag all the loot into one of the Bandersnatch's caskets, but makes sure to grab the spear and bow.

"I still have a few spells left, Sister. But those will eventually run out if we keep fighting more creatures like this. Let me help you with the armor...""

You have seen warriors don armor before. Not your strong suit as the elf tightens the straps and you find moving your joints rather difficult as you walk around with large clanking sounds, causing Celaena to chuckle.

"Sister Elizabeth the Knight! You look like a paladin now! And why pray for these creatures, anyways? They would not have done the same had we fallen, but I guess this is yet another reason why we need to get you out of this place. The Mercy is in dire need of people like you.""

Maybe she's right, but these creatures. Strong and abominable as they may look, were once regular folk. Innocent folk and Cutter turned them into horrid weapons of war. The least you can do is pray for their souls to reach Heaven and forget they ever lived the rest of their lives under the twisted orders of that Mad Man.

Celaena leads the way as you get used to the armor that now covers your body. Much better than running around here wearing nothing but clothes. And then the elf stops at a desk with an old cot not too far and picks up a file, raising an eyebrow as she reads it several times and then hands it to you.

"What do you make of this, Sister?""

This handwriting is different from the files found in the upper floors. It looks a lot more recent.

Spoiler: File
    Show

Regarding Project Putridmirage

Observations: In order to initiate Project Lepotitsa, several preliminary test trials have been performed on key subjects in Test Site 1. The results have been rather enlightening.

The subjects follow the Sleeper Agent program I have devised, notably in Subject "HB". In all respects, they respond to a nemonic scenario, usually a phrase. This initiates the Program fully and asserts my command over them. So far, side effects have been memory loss, but this has been circumvented by implanting false synapses into their memory receptors until their time has arrived to serve me.

The end result is a formidable new B.O.W that has proven to be very effective in the field of battle- particularly against his flawed creations. It should be noted that they fear Project Putridmirage. However, as formidable as it is- something that should come as no surprise since I created them- they are merely prototypes.

The Lepotitsa Program shall be the one to be deployed and asserted as a true handmaiden in my Kingdom.

Who knows what any of this means. Most likely a new monster prowling around here, as Celaena leads the way and rather than explore the whole complex, which has the distant screeches of unseen enemies, the elf holds your hand and takes the lead down the only flight of stairs, which twist and turn as you arrive to a new floor.

This place has a single torch upon descending, which can be removed from the wall as Celaena opens the sturdy wooden door and looks around at the new place.

No growls or screeches here. This place has different levels, all connected by stairs, all which lead down, as both venture down, Celaena at the forefront, spear ready and you notice several wooden barrels placed in different levels on this floor.

The smell of gunpowder is strong as you walk past them.

And then you reach the very bottom of the area, with a grim fountain in its center and a plaque in front:

"Six Souls, imprisoned within Death. Rekindle the Fires of Purity from the Spirits of the Weak."

Celaena looks at the fountain and takes a step back.

"What a disturbing fountain. Who would have something like this here and why... wait. Look at the walls.""

And indeed, scattered evenly around the fountain, you can see six paintings. each has a stone bowl at its base filled with oil. Each painting has an engraving beneath it.

"I creep up on legless limbs and bring down the mightiest of conquerors with my poison. No one can escape my strike."

"No amount of Cunning can match the speed of my limbs."

"I stand tall, horns proudly displayed upon the good earth."

"I dance freely through the skies, smiting down legless prey."

"I am the King of all that I survey. Nothing may escape my grasp."

"My wits allow me to bring down the fastest of prey."

Celaena scratches her head as she walks past all the paintings and then looks at you.

"I thought this was an exit. Sorry about that... I have no idea what to do here. Do you?""

Map

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharkun pauses at the sight of the monkeys.
    "Huh. Why are they still here? Scruffy, let us make sure they are gone before we start, I don't want them to poop back after we've cleaned."

Upon hearing the mage speaking, Sharkun exits to talk to him, and sees Travis.[COLOR="#DAA520"]
    "Hello Travis!" Sharkun then realizes how weird his guise may seem. "...I will explain you later. Hello, fellow mage? Are you the one responsible for the apparition of these monkeys? Can't you dispel or dismiss their presence?"
    Last edited by remetagross; 2018-02-01 at 01:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

“Thank you, and I agree let us be wary of fights if we can. And if we can not once we are finished with it we should retreat and rest.” Sister Elizabeth agrees. “I may look like a paladin but I feel like a drunken dwarf who is out at sea in a storm trying to walk in this thing.” the old woman chuckles along with Celaena. “As to why I pray for these creatures they were once people like you and me. If we forget that we become no better than they are. All life has value, even if you must do everything in your power to stop it to protect your community. The moment we no longer value life is the day we become monsters as Dr. Cutter did.” the old woman explains.

As the two descend deeper into the madhouse the priestess is not surprised they find another file, though its content and how recent it was did seem rather odd and out of place. Reading the file out loud she looked to Celaena concerned. “This was written after Dr. Cutter was dead, of that much I am sure. And given the difference in writing style from the few files I read that Hannibal had on him it is clearly of someone on an entirely different level of intelligence than the rest. Perhaps a pupil of Dr. Cutter.” she notes as she continues to read. “I wonder what test site 1 is, and who subject “HB” is. Though if this term for sleeper is what I think it could mean they are a spy of sorts.”

“So Dr. Cutter’s creations fear those who have become Project Putridmirage, that is good to know as I have seen many of Cutters creations down here and neither fled from us meaning we are both clean.” Sister Elizabeth says with a sigh of relief, after all this was placed in such a way that one could suspect it was there to seed doubts. “ I wonder what this Lepotitsa Program is, as well as who wrote this? It all is clearly the work of someone who has a scientific mind, though morals are clearly lacking. A mad scientist if you would.” Sister Elizabeth deducts.

As the two get downstairs Sister Rosalind looks aghast at the fountain for a moment before reading what it says, using a simple light spell to illuminate it for the two of them to have some light as well as the torch. “I think we should continue to look around, but we should keep this in mind.” she notes before following Celaena around the rest of this floor and finding the six paintings. “Six paintings and six souls that need to be set free.hmm.” she says placing her hand on the painting of the woman to see if the snake or woman could be pushed in at all. If nothing happens she looks back to the fountain. “Perhaps we should try to see if the fountain has a snake or a woman of some kind on it. After all they say poison is the tool of a woman but they walk. Snakes slither and have poison, but love, emotions have no limbs and can touch even the darkest of souls. Also we need to remember to keep the fire away from the barraels unless we want to die.”

"As much as I would hate the young mistress to be in this dark place she no doubt would be able to solve this puzzel in seconds. Have no doubt their is something here, I just am not as smart as others at such things so it may take some time. If we can not find anything regarding a snake though near the fountain or the rest of this area I think we should find a place to rest so we can think on this."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Looking like a fool touching the murals it is not until her foot almost knocks over the stone bowl filled with oil that she even realizes they are there. "Wait the fountain said Rekindle the Fires of Purity from the Spirits of the Weak. What if it was being serious?" the priestess of Zodal says running around reading the inscriptions of all the murals once again before sitting by the fountain. "Now lets see birds eat snakes, and lions eat anything they can get, but that doesn't match the writing....Perhaps I should just ignore the pictures."

And with that Sister Elizabeth picks up the torch and begins by walking to the mural of a stag. "I stand tall, horns proudly displayed upon the good earth." as she says this, she lights the bowl of oil at its feet.

"My wits allow me to bring down the fastest of prey." the old woman says, as she stands before the mural of the two wolves, no doubt an alpha and beta and lights their bowl of oil.

"No amount of Cunning can match the speed of my limbs." she says with a smile as she lights the next mural up, that of the horse.

"I am the King of all that I survey. Nothing may escape my grasp." continues the old woman, moving extremely slowly as she makes her way over to the king of the savanna and lights the bowl before the lion.

"I dance freely through the skies, smiting down legless prey." she says with glee, happy she had spent so much time around Lady Alexia her whole life, no doubt the brutes that went around breaking things would have never tried this as she once more lights the bowl.

"I creep up on legless limbs and bring down the mightiest of conquerors with my poison. No one can escape my strike." she says at last, lighting the last bowl of fire before looking around to see if anything happens.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

"What the yuck?" Travis exclaims upon seeing the situation with the monkeys.

"Hello Sharky! I had nothing to do with it. There have been some strange magical occurrences recently, but this takes the cake. Let me think about it for a moment ..."

Just in case there's a lingering aura, he casts detect magic.

ooc:

spellcraft (1d20+20)[34]
    knowledge (arcana) (1d20+20)[22]
    knowledge (planes) (1d20+8)[21]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

@Elizabeth: Celaena gives you the file and raises an eyebrow.

"You mean someone else other than this Cutter guy? Seems like the crazies have been left out of the cage. I can't make heads or tails regarding what any of this even means, but if there is a spy around here, we should be extra careful. Although none of the creatures we have faced are really "spies". Monsters make terrible spies. Especially the ones we've slain.

I agree with you about resting. Although I still have some arcane power flowing through me, my big guns are pretty much spent. Let us hope none of whatever's mentioned there gets a jump on us, although the fact my jailer isn't around is somehow disquieting...""

And once you reach the very bottom of this hellish prison, you look at the grim fountain and read the engraving upon it as Celaena walks around the murals.

"Who had time to paint these all the way down here? And why the odd phrases? Can you make something out of this, Sister?""

Pushing the mural with the lady doesn't work.

Looking for snakes in the fountain heeds no results...

Dammit all! You are a healer, not a puzzle solver! If the others were here, they;d be smashing the whole place up, so in hindsight, perhaps it is best if you are left alone to figure this.

Now if the young Mistress were here, well... she was very good at these kinds of mind games.

The writing on the fountain:

Rekindle the Fires of Purity from the Spirits of the Weak.

Could it be related to the writings with each mural? Well aware that this place has barrels filled with gunpowder, you grab the only torch in this area and start kneeling and lighting them up, one by one.

The oil catches on fire and illuminates each mural, casting odd shadows as you try and figure out the correct order, something Celaena seems to approve as you walk back and forth around the circular area and light the last one.

"I think you got it, Sister! I would never have been able to...""

And it is then that the grim fountain begins to sprout steam as small holes open on the ground and the flames from each oil offering are snuffed.

The room becomes increasingly hot as both you and Celaena are caught awash in an explosion of fiery hell, as torrents of flame catch both of you off guard.

Spoiler: What went wrong?!?!
    Show

73 fire damage. Reflex for half
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2018-02-01 at 11:20 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

After what seemed like an eternity to the old woman who had lost track of any sort of time and days long ago, Sister Elizabeth stepped back to look at her results. "Well lets hope that is right, normally people keep a thief around for this kind of work. If I am wrong this might.." before finishing speaking however she stops as she notices all the bowls go out. "That can not be good..." she says aloud a moment before a pyre of flames shoots forth trying to cook her alive all the way to the bone.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

@Elziabeth: Well that can't be good...

You try and walk through the inferno conjured by the fountain. This place is a damn trap! No wonder even the caretaker didn't want to mess with it. It was written in his damn diary!

But too late, as the flames subside, your vision goes dark and you drop on the ground...

Only to feel a refreshing scent and the smallest sliver of vigor run through your limbs again as Celaena, badly burnt herself, has dragged you to the stairs leading to the fountain and places the wand on your burnt hands.

"I don't think it would be wise to try that again, Sister.""

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

"I agree, at least not today. Who knows if we will both get so lucky again. Come I shall call us a hut for us to sleep in that will keep everything outside out, and everything inside in. When we wake up I will pray for a spell that will help us deal with this trap. Until than let me tend to our wounds, and come the morning with luck we shall be long gone from this room and with the young mistress safe up above going to save the rightful ruler." Sister Elizabeth says happily as she uses the last of her curative magic to heal all of their wounds before summoning a tiny hut made of pure force and magic for them to sleep in for the night.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

@Travis: You approach the messy classroom as Scruffy, one of the oldest janitors here, begins his unending process of cleaning up the mess made by mages.

This is nothing new to Scruffy: accidents in the arcane are not uncommon, especially when novices are the ones practicing the Art for the first time, but a Summoning Spell that lasts so long?

It is known that certain areas in The Mercy are affected by Arcane Pollution. This was most noticeable when you ventured to Camazotz Den, in search of Asgrim. Lingering magic that can be hazardous to those that unwittingly walk through it unaware.

But that phenomena occurs in areas devoid of proper arcane watch and procedure. Runestone should definitely not be experiencing such a freak scenario. Could it be that Arcane pollution has made its way here? That would be impossible:

Runestone Academy has so many protections against any and all kinds of intrusion, definitely of the arcane kind, that these incidents are virtually unheard of. Having said that, faulty items of power are a thing. Not common, but a few have made it to the hands of eager inexperienced mages, with disastrous results.

Has Arcane Pollution reached Runestone? Possibly, but it would have been neutralized before it reached this point. If not that, an accident of a more scholarly nature would be to blame.

@Sharkun: You leave Scruffy to fend off against the monkeys and leave the smelly classroom, bidding good day to Travis and questioning the mage in charge about getting rid of them.

"I did not prepare the spell in question today. Today was Arcane Theory, not Practice. I would have guessed that by now...""

Scruffy can be heard inside the class as the screeching monkeys leap from behind their barricaded desks and surround the janitor.

"Uhhh... Sharkun? A little help would be nice now...!""

Yet before you can get back to the classroom, the monkeys leap at the Janitor, claws and fangs ready as the old man holds his mop tight with both hands and before they can pounce on him, in a puff of golden smoke, they all vanish.

Their waste is still here, but not they. Who knows if someone dispelled them or the energies that kept them here expired, but Scruffy walks back to the hallway and hands you the mop.

"We still have a mess to clean, you know?""

@Jannalor: The cracked streets of The Mercy do little to hurt your old worn out sandals that barely strap around your feet and you look at the old derelict houses, looking for any signs of the street that will lead you "there".

As A Necropolitan servant to the Ruby Sorceress, you and the Pale Hand have devoted themselves to eradicate this Crimson Menace. You underwent Crucimigration years ago to make sure her tenets could be upheld. So that those that would use undead for dark desires would be routed out.

The Churches past the Wall are incompetent. Lacking. Pelor, Heironeous, Ehlonna... they don't really understand or have turned a blind eye to the situation here. Some might even say that it is a sign of weakness. Enough for you to walk past Connor's wall of Separation and assert the Jasidian order as it rightfully deserves. It's not like they could even stand a chance against you together. You are immortal..

You are a Necropolitan Inquisitor, after all. The ultimate Judge and who are they to argue against it? Even the Cuthbertines would have to bow their heads in fear to a power such as yours, enough to rival gods.

And normally, you and the Pale Hand, secretly working- and some would say plotting- to assert your dominion over the City would be more than willing to march through the clean streets, except...

The Pale Hand has been greatly reduced in number since the outbreak.

The new undead plague that runs rampant through The Mercy poses a very real threat to the unprepared. That isn't the case for you and your order. The problem is that you aren't the only ones taking them out.

Once the outbreak began, factions in The Mercy have formed lynch mobs and go out of their way to hunt these "Red Heads". Their methods may not be the best and usually, many leave the scuffle unknowingly infected, furthering whoever dark's agenda was set in motion.

The biggest problem for the Pale Hand comes from a single person, a priestess follower of Fharlanghn. She is known as Mother Calliope, an Ambularet Per Pade, a high rank amongst the church of the Traveler. Who knows what the situation regarding that church is in the City, but this priestess has managed to wipe out many of these ghouls with relative ease.

The problem is that, as a follower of Fharlanghn, Red Heads aren't the only ones subject to Divine Wrath. During one of your own solo missions into an abandoned house to deal with an infected family, Calliope stumbled upon a rather large enclave of the Pale Hand.

Whether your intentions were similarly aligned, there was no discrimination. And with the aide of a Paladin of Lendor by her side, the younger members stood no chance. Undead must be eliminated from the face of Oerth, plain and simple.

It was rather difficult to tell who was who- all that remained were piles of dust. They even burnt their possessions and confiscated every single holy symbol, with a writing on the wall:

Trust not the Undead, for their words are as twisted as the mockery of a soul they cherish within unhallowed husks.

So now, you have a paladin and a Priestess of Fharlanghn roaming around. You can probably slay both rather easily. The problem is finding them. Calliope is said to have vanished and nobody knows where she is.

And regarding that name... Cutter.

He is said to have created these things years ago, the Red Heads. They were all allegedly put to the sword, but they have resurfaced and although you have no idea where Cutter may be, you may have an idea of who could be following his twisted teachings.

The Mercy is home to many undesirables. A lot of them fled when the shift of Power in the City made practitioners of the Art intolerable and many flocked and hid here.

There is one that is said to have been here for a long time. A member of one of many factions in The Mercy.

Although you have not seen this person, you are aware of his name:

Bharthran the Blood Lord.

This guy is a a Necromancer. And one of the worst types. Not only is his faction responsible for the abduction of people, but tales speak that he twists those brought to him into cruel mockeries of life. And since Calliope isn't around for you to send her to Hell, this guy is the next best lead.

From what you have learned, Bharthran and his crew hole themselves up in one of the oldest landmarks in The Mercy:

The Ludus Magnus.

Back in the day, this imposing colosseum, built by the Royal family and sponsored by the church of Kord, would showcase the best in athletic sportsmanship, but not only that.

The Ludus Magnus was site of great plays and displays of Oratory and Sagely disputes. Everyone from all over the City of Power would come to see the nightly shows and scholars would debate for days, with music and poetry in between to keep the audience rightfully entertained.

However, as you enter the empty colosseum, and walk through the arena, all you can see is death.

The crowds are decomposing bodies grimly assorted as spectators. Looking at the ground, you can tell there was a massive battle here not too long ago.

What you do know about this place is that Bharthran used to keep the prisoners in the basement of this arena. In the Baths.

If there is any clue you can find to this Crimson menace, he most likely has answers and being a Necromancer, you should be aptly protected without having to use spells of your own.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Sharkun hears Scruffy' call for help, and as he turns towards him and realizes what is happening, poof! The monkeys disappear. He remains frozen in motion for a few seconds.
    "...Alright. The spell must have expired right on the spot. Well, sorry Scruffy, I let you in a dangerous position." The paladin bows to him.
    "...so, right. Let us get back to it."

And he starts by pushing all the broken furniture in the corridor, so as to empty the classroom and to be able to clean all the surface of the floor. That being done, he listens to Scruffy's instructions and starts to eagerly wipe away.
    "That reminds me of a time in the Jade Palace, before Lord Kazym turned a traitor *sigh*,, he had come for an official visit to*the temple of Wee Jas to confer with the High Priestess. His robes were perpetually dripping off sand. After his visit, the integrality of the staff of the temple, bodyguards included, had to work on swiping the sand out..."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jannalor grimaces behind his mask, no respect for the dead in this place either. If his companions had not been sent to the stern lady, they might have together been able to perform rites for those here, granting a measure of repose. On his own however, it would take days at best. Days in which he'd be vulnerable and occupied away from the greater task.

For now, the task at hand was this Bharthran, yet another fool who claims mastery of death, instead of bowing to its power.

The dead man is almost expecting this place to be empty. Bharthran's location is too well known. Undead hunters like those who assaulted his companions should have been drawn to this place like flies. But he must see for himself. Even if the necromancer has already been eliminated, perhaps the hunters left information behind.

Kneeling in the center of the coliseum, Jannalor prays. "Order before all, knowledge brings strength, strength grants power, power fosters order. One who disturbs the dead for selfish aims may infest this place. My lady, I am alone, but unbroken, I ask for the wisdom and fortitude required to bring an end to these violations of your perfect law."

Standing, he sets out towards where he thinks the entry to these underground baths would be. He needs a team for this, as resilient as he may be, a necromancer is rarely without plenty of hands to simply tear one apart. but there are none he can trust at this time, and the task must be completed regardless.

Extending his senses to forewarn him to the foes he expects down here, he carefully enters the structure.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Maintaining Detect Evil
    His usual disguises are up, including disguise undead.
    Spot (1d20+6)[12]
    Listen (1d20+6)[8]
    Search (1d20+3)[15]
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-02-02 at 12:55 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D