New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1467
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCVIII: Still Haven't Caught Up on Season 7!

Quote Originally Posted by meto30 View Post
    I am utterly unskilled in English cursive and I also can't read most English cursive texts, so there's a lot of things I need to learn before I actually do any English caligraphy. XD
    Right. The example I linked to is Hungarian calligraphy that is not written in cursive. The body text is written in hand-drawn single letters that are similar to contemporary printed text in that almost every letter or other glyph is seprated from the next by a small gap, and it's in a readable font, so it's easy to read.

The headings, giving the titles of each poem, are in decorative letters that are harder to read, each title a different style, and I personally don't enjoy them much, but such headers were a tradition back then. Since they're short pieces of text and we know the title of those famous poems from other sources, it doesn't matter that they're hard to read.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-08-08 at 06:42 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    I'm not sure how much you watched from the show, Forum Explorer. I'm telling the following mostly in order, so stop reading this before you get to the part that's spoilers for you if you're not up to date.

Then she was punished a few more times with similar uncomfortable lessons with good outcomes: in S6 E6 when she meets her new best friend Trixie; S6 E21 might have been the next attempt, only it got very botched, but it's clear that if Starlight tried to do it the normal way it would have been uncomfortable for her, that's why he gave that up; then possibly in S6 E25 when the whole Mane Six got themselves captured to make Starlight have to deal with the changeling invasion (you all know where they learned that trick, they did add a new twist on it though, Spike stayed uncaptured to take notes for Twilight about how well Starlight does on the lesson).

After that, Twilight got exhausted with giving Starlight lessons and decided to have a little break. Discord tried her best to troll her for that in S7 E1. Luckily in S7 E10 when Twilight didn't have to do anything except perhaps exchange a knowing look with the tree chest castle map, and then the map managed everything else including finding a lesson. I'm quite sure S7 E26 wasn't Twilight intentionally giving Starlight a lesson, Twilight was just dumb there.

But perhaps before EG5 E3 Mirror Magic, Twilight might have arranged a little something with Sunset Shimmer so that the next time anything comes up, Sunset will call Starlight for help instead of Twilight. Sunset is a good actor after all, she could fool Starlight, and she and Twilight knew Starlight would be all too eager to answer a call by Sunset. The whole “I just ran out of pages in my journal” part is all too suspicious, now that I think about it: it was a lie, the journal wasn't out of pages, Sunset just said that as a distraction to get away with going into Equestria and contacting Starlight, right in front of the unknowing Rainbooms, and it was a lie that still worked if the Rainbooms repeated it to Starlight. (Sunset might have had a backup way to actually contact Twilight for emergencies she didn't think Starlight could handle.)

And then, as you know, the tree chest castle map helped find a friendship lesson for Starlight again in S8 E8, because Twilight would still rather spend her time some other way. She still kept Starlight next to her in the castle so she could watch her, and made her report to her, because she still trusted Starlight less than Celestia trusted Twilight, and for a good reason too. I am quite sure it's definitely not just because of a housing problem in Ponyville why Starlight has to live in the castle.
    Getting punished by being forced to join the Mane 6 and being forced to make new friends and become a hero is NOT a punishment. Particularly since she, well AOTRS Commander says it best in that She's Still Evil. She's still an awful pony, she just works for Twilight now.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Getting punished by being forced to join the Mane 6 and being forced to make new friends and become a hero is NOT a punishment. Particularly since she, well AOTRS Commander says it best in that She's Still Evil. She's still an awful pony, she just works for Twilight now.
    I always thought it was like those hackers in spy movies who are given the option to do tons of jail time or work for the government on spy stuff. She had enough power that letting her rot in an Equestrian prison would have been a waste, so Twilight made her an offer she couldn't refuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Spamalot in the Playground

Getting punished by being forced to join the Mane 6 and being forced to make new friends and become a hero is NOT a punishment.
    I dunno, living with Twilight seems like slow torture.

Spoiler
    Show

Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

Wow. So Firaxis actually NEVER bothered to fix the attack animations bug in Beyond Earth (one of the reasons I stopped playing the first time around, because it was happening every few turns at the time). Ye gods. It's not like it was an obscure bug, either, but apparently, it wasn't worth their time fixing even when they were working towards the expansion.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-08-08 at 08:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

I always thought it was like those hackers in spy movies who are given the option to do tons of jail time or work for the government on spy stuff. She had enough power that letting her rot in an Equestrian prison would have been a waste, so Twilight made her an offer she couldn't refuse.
    And if they treated her like a prisoner on parole, that would be much more acceptable. But they don't. She basically instantly becomes everyone's friend and is accepted and forgiven for almost killing everyone. And that's what gets me. Starlight will mindcontrol ponies, and they just flat out forgive her. Again and again.

Actually what really gets me is that they did a villain redemption arc with Sunset Shimmer (and oh god, the names start to grate on me.) and friggin nailed it. Sunset was hated, was haunted by her past, and had to redeem herself before anyone would give her the time of day. Starlight skips all that to just going straight to acceptance. And considering Starlight is orders of magnitude worse then Sunset, it really smacks of wanting to have another Sunset, but not wanting to put the work in to make one.

Finally her motivation and backstory is the worst. No exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I dunno, living with Twilight seems like slow torture.

Spoiler
    Show

Heh.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Oh, right, feedback. This is a thing that I should do.

I don't think the design of the bags under Discord's eyes translates properly. It evokes more of a mandrill look than a tired look. I think some light line shading underneath would be more effective; it's a design trait you can be pretty subtle with while still having a big effect.

The antler horn is consistently drawn totally flat which makes it look out of place. Just some super limited shading around one side to give it the impression of curvature would make it look like less of a blob-shape.

This is a taste thing, so judge accordingly: I don't like eyes which are white circles inside white circles. A black circle in a white circle is good like with Discord, a white circle alone is good like in Luna's shocked expression, but Celestia's white-white in the second panel looks really unnatural in a way that draws me out of the picture. Oddly, I think Sunset's similarly designed eyes actually look good - I think it might have to do with the much softer pencilwork rather than the rather sharp and jarring lines used around Celestia's eyes in the same panel.

I think consistently the best thing you do is pony legs. You've edged them just enough towards realistic horse design to make them feel more realistic while not going too far and losing the show's animated style.

I think that the final panel spike should have some basic shading. Your style looks really good with the shading done, as in every other panel, but places where you skip it look very unfinished. I like the scaling square-cut to Twilight's mane and that one curl where it slightly overlaps the rest of it, it really works with moving the show design the half step towards realism that marks most of your work.
    Thank you greatly for your feedback. I'll make sure to keep all of those points in mind (especially regarding not skipping basic shading if I can help it) for future pieces. Hopefully, the new pages I'm showing today have those issues at least partially addressed. Thanks for the comment on the legs, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    On cursive script.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    On cursive script.

I was taught rudimentary cursive when I was living in Oregon. Since Korean education of the English language has zero cursive in it, I never had to bother with it outside of practicing my signature. XD Oh, that and every TOEFL test I took made me copy an oath to not cheat and not reproduce test questions outside of the testing room in cursive, which was awkward.

Right. The example I linked to is Hungarian calligraphy that is not written in cursive. The body text is written in hand-drawn single letters that are similar to contemporary printed text in that almost every letter or other glyph is seprated from the next by a small gap, and it's in a readable font, so it's easy to read.

The headings, giving the titles of each poem, are in decorative letters that are harder to read, each title a different style, and I personally don't enjoy them much, but such headers were a tradition back then. Since they're short pieces of text and we know the title of those famous poems from other sources, it doesn't matter that they're hard to read.
    Hmmm I see what you mean now. Although I thought I would call that just "handwriting"... at least that's the term one would use for writing Chinese ideograms, it's not caligraphy until you start going uber-fancy and dignified about it. Doing fancy handwriting would involve just writing the sentences in whatever script you're using, where caligraphy would involve meditating on the phrase to be written and doing some practice runs before dressing up in traditional robes, doing the necessary cleansing rituals, and then getting your caligraphy brush (never used for anything else) and writing the phrase down for all to see.

Spoiler: My entry for prompt 16 of the ATG.
    Show

Unfortunatley, I was half-asleep when I did the second page. I should start drawing a lot earlier in the day...
    Last edited by meto30; 2018-08-08 at 11:36 PM.
    Unus Mundus, Una Veritas, Unum Imperium.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ettin in the Playground

And if they treated her like a prisoner on parole, that would be much more acceptable. But they don't. She basically instantly becomes everyone's friend and is accepted and forgiven for almost killing everyone. And that's what gets me. Starlight will mindcontrol ponies, and they just flat out forgive her. Again and again.

Actually what really gets me is that they did a villain redemption arc with Sunset Shimmer (and oh god, the names start to grate on me.) and friggin nailed it. Sunset was hated, was haunted by her past, and had to redeem herself before anyone would give her the time of day. Starlight skips all that to just going straight to acceptance. And considering Starlight is orders of magnitude worse then Sunset, it really smacks of wanting to have another Sunset, but not wanting to put the work in to make one.
    To be fair, that could also be them not wanting to rehash that story again; taking an episode that fell flat and trying it again is one thing, but a major season arc being repeated? That'd just be lazy writing.

Among pony characters? Perhaps. But you will never top Broly when it comes to bad motivation and backstory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Colossus in the Playground

Among pony characters? Perhaps. But you will never top Broly when it comes to bad motivation and backstory.
    Give it time.

The Dragon Ball Super movie(which is considered to be canon,) has Broly in it... But Toriyama has stated that he's basically throwing out all but the core of Broly's character and rewriting him from the ground up.

Toriyama was really hands off with the Anime back in the day. He did some character artwork for Broyly but he never actually watched any of Broly's movies until the use of Broly was suggested for the upcoming movie.

Toriyama binge watched them and then... You know TFS's collective opinion on Broly?(BAsically that he's a cool concept ruined bya terrible execution and overhyped by his fanbase.) Toriyama agrees, essentially.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #1330

Yeah, couldn't even be bothered to write her friend after he moved away...

At least make it juicy, like Sunburst left her for someone else.
    Spoiler
    Show

Since Korean education of the English language has zero cursive in it, I never had to bother with it outside of practicing my signature.
    Now I'm curious, do Koreans sign their name in a particular way on documents the way Americans do with cursive?

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Toriyama binge watched them and then... You know TFS's collective opinion on Broly?(BAsically that he's a cool concept ruined bya terrible execution and overhyped by his fanbase.) Toriyama agrees, essentially.
    I think Vegita in the abridged series summed it up well.

"He's so cool, but that's so stupid... but he's so cool..."

Edit--
    Oh, almost forgot this one.
    Spoiler: Scarface Rainbow Dash
    Show
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2018-08-09 at 05:45 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #1331

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Now I'm curious, do Koreans sign their name in a particular way on documents the way Americans do with cursive?
    There is no particular way to sign one's name in Korea, and there's a particular way to sign one's name in Korea. Both those statements are true, because there are two words that denotes signature, and they refer to different things. The former, the more usual, is Somyong (using Chinese ideograms) and is used in lieu of the personal seal if the seal is not available. The latter, unusual, is Ssain (Korean transliteration of "sign") and is used by celebrities in signing ceremonies and such.

Usually for situations where your signature might be called for in an official capacity, Koreans would stamp their seal in red seal-paste rather than sign their name, the traditional East Asian way. When people ask them to sign their name, people signing their name in Korean will just write down their name in plain text.

This is not so when people ask for your signature in particular, not as legal proof but as keepsake. The "celebrity signature" looks rather similar to American ones and can be found adorning the walls of popular restaurants and such. Some of the more traditionalist-minded people will write down their name in Chinese ideograms, in a caligraphy script.

Spoiler: Example of a Korean signature. Not mine; you already know what mine looks like.
    Show

Interesting, Lim Yo Hwan signs with his Starcraft 1 in-game-name instead of his name. Probably for his fans.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, that could also be them not wanting to rehash that story again; taking an episode that fell flat and trying it again is one thing, but a major season arc being repeated? That'd just be lazy writing.

Sure. But just skipping the arc altogether is even worse.

I'm not sure that's the case. Ok, Starlight doesn't top Broly but her inability to use the postal system causing her to try and destroy all cutie marks is about the same level of stupidity as Broly having a rage grudge against Goku because he wouldn't stop crying, causing him to attempt to destroy the galaxy.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Banned

I'm not sure that's the case. Ok, Starlight doesn't top Broly but her inability to use the postal system causing her to try and destroy all cutie marks is about the same level of stupidity as Broly having a rage grudge against Goku because he wouldn't stop crying, causing him to attempt to destroy the galaxy.
    To be fair, Suburst ignores letters. Postponies resent him for it.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ogre in the Playground

(Context: Illustrations to János Arany's ballads by Mihály Zichy which I brought up as an outstanding example of modern western tradition calligraphy.)
    Hmmm I see what you mean now. Although I thought I would call that just "handwriting"... at least that's the term one would use for writing Chinese ideograms, it's not caligraphy until you start going uber-fancy and dignified about it. Doing fancy handwriting would involve just writing the sentences in whatever script you're using, where caligraphy would involve meditating on the phrase to be written and doing some practice runs before dressing up in traditional robes, doing the necessary cleansing rituals, and then getting your caligraphy brush (never used for anything else) and writing the phrase down for all to see.
    The traditions are different. But I'll still tell a little bit of more context.

Spoiler: More rant about that book
    Show
    The book is a selection of ballads by Arany János, a poet who was already acclaimed as one of the best poets in his life, was offered all sorts of honors and being chairman of the National Academy, but he was so humble he refused to even draw the salary for that chairmanship in what was basically a “please take my money” situation for a title that was purely honorary, it was clear that they gave him the title for life without expecting anything in return. By the time Zichy published this book, Arany has died ten years ago, but everyone still remembered him as a rare genius and respected him as a passive freedom fighter as well. His poems were respected enough that Zichy Mihály copied their text literally, because changing even a word would have been sacrilege. (Even the title under the full-page drawings is just the title of the poem, because Zichy didn't dare to add any other words.) And Zichy clearly meditated on the meaning of those ballads a lot, because he drew beautiful paintings of each of them in which he illustrates not just the overt meaning of the words, but reflects the mood that the poem evokes. And then he composed every page and drew every single stroke so the end results look beautiful, for which he already needed to be a good painter. Obviously he didn't have digital technology to fix anything, he had to make some drafts then get everything right the first time or else redo the whole page.

Zichy was a painter who had oil paintings too, but couldn't use a brush this time, because back then it was impossible to reproduce a brush painting in ten thousand copies so that ten thousand people could buy a very beautiful large form decorative poetry book. That wasn't the book a student bought to just read Arany's poems. There were cheap Arany books too, I have a complete Arany in two volumes and a thin paperbook Toldi trilogy and a thin paperbook ballads, all three old and appropriate to read on the bus, their likes existed back then too. I myself learned seven of the Arany ballads (two not in the Zichy books) by heart, and I recite them silently on the bus sometimes (so obviously I'm biased in everything I say, and not everyone agrees with my all my admiration to a full extent). The Zichy book was one you contemplated over at home as you absorbed every detail of the beautiful drawings, and how Zichy managed to add something to Arany's already perfect gems.

The 2006 reprint of the book, which I scanned, is smaller in area than the original and has small margins, but still manages to look very nice with its hard cover and thick pages (and yet still having empty pages on the back of the full-page paintings just in case the sheet is still a bit transparent, and empty pages so that every full page painting and the start of every poem is on a right hand side page), and they reproduce the full contents of the original four volumes faithfully. You only see the difference if you zoom in the 600 dpi scans to realize it was printed with digital technology rather than trying to reuse the original plates, which would probably get worn out if they tried to print a book with a large number of copies. And most importantly, this digital typographic technology makes the book so cheap (6000 HUF) that the book is now accessible to a wider audience. I think you can still buy used copies of the originals if you have the money, because they're the kind of books that nobody throws away or destroys, they end up in used books stores when the owner dies if none of his children want it. But if it wasn't for the reprint, I could have never bought my own copy, scan it, and advertise it by making it even more accessible to everyone on the internet.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-08-09 at 08:57 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1335

(Context: Illustrations to János Arany's ballads by Mihály Zichy which I brought up as an outstanding example of modern western tradition calligraphy.)
    The traditions are different. But I'll still tell a little bit of more context.

Spoiler: More rant about that book
    Show
    The book is a selection of ballads by Arany János, a poet who was already acclaimed as one of the best poets in his life, was offered all sorts of honors and being chairman of the National Academy, but he was so humble he refused to even draw the salary for that chairmanship in what was basically a “please take my money” situation for a title that was purely honorary, it was clear that they gave him the title for life without expecting anything in return. By the time Zichy published this book, Arany has died ten years ago, but everyone still remembered him as a rare genius and respected him as a passive freedom fighter as well. His poems were respected enough that Zichy Mihály copied their text literally, because changing even a word would have been sacrilege. (Even the title under the full-page drawings is just the title of the poem, because Zichy didn't dare to add any other words.) And Zichy clearly meditated on the meaning of those ballads a lot, because he drew beautiful paintings of each of them in which he illustrates not just the overt meaning of the words, but reflects the mood that the poem evokes. And then he composed every page and drew every single stroke so the end results look beautiful, for which he already needed to be a good painter. Obviously he didn't have digital technology to fix anything, he had to make some drafts then get everything right the first time or else redo the whole page.

Zichy was a painter who had oil paintings too, but couldn't use a brush this time, because back then it was impossible to reproduce a brush painting in ten thousand copies so that ten thousand people could buy a very beautiful large form decorative poetry book. That wasn't the book a student bought to just read Arany's poems. There were cheap Arany books too, I have a complete Arany in two volumes and a thin paperbook Toldi trilogy and a thin paperbook ballads, all three old and appropriate to read on the bus, their likes existed back then too. I myself learned seven of the Arany ballads (two not in the Zichy books) by heart, and I recite them silently on the bus sometimes (so obviously I'm biased in everything I say, and not everyone agrees with my all my admiration to a full extent). The Zichy book was one you contemplated over at home as you absorbed every detail of the beautiful drawings, and how Zichy managed to add something to Arany's already perfect gems.

The 2006 reprint of the book, which I scanned, is smaller in area than the original and has small margins, but still manages to look very nice with its hard cover and thick pages (and yet still having empty pages on the back of the full-page paintings just in case the sheet is still a bit transparent, and empty pages so that every full page painting and the start of every poem is on a right hand side page), and they reproduce the full contents of the original four volumes faithfully. You only see the difference if you zoom in the 600 dpi scans to realize it was printed with digital technology rather than trying to reuse the original plates, which would probably get worn out if they tried to print a book with a large number of copies. And most importantly, this digital typographic technology makes the book so cheap (6000 HUF) that the book is now accessible to a wider audience. I think you can still buy used copies of the originals if you have the money, because they're the kind of books that nobody throws away or destroys, they end up in used books stores when the owner dies if none of his children want it. But if it wasn't for the reprint, I could have never bought my own copy, scan it, and advertise it by making it even more accessible to everyone on the internet.
    I see! Interesting. I've seen some poetry written in caligraphic text sold as big painting-like things to be framed and hung on a wall (My family owns several of those), but I've not seen any made into a book.

Spoiler: My entry for prompt 17 of the ATG. "Yes, Chef."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1336

To be fair, Suburst ignores letters. Postponies resent him for it.
    Quit your job post ponies!

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Quit your job post ponies!
    Blast from the past, this.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

TTG to the Movies was hilarious - but I did feel during the couple of moments where they were actually working as a competant team, that much as I love TTG, I missed that, too.

However, it appears, Tara Strong, bless 'er, said that she's been told there is a real chance that TT might get a season six if TTGttM does well (which is sort of seems to be), alongside TTG. (And also Young Justice, which would be the best of all worlds - all three co-existing. I mean, we could do without the live-action Titans, I think (since that looks... Reboot reboot level terribad).)

Spoiler: TTGttM
    Show
    And, no, this isn't just Tara trolling, I think, exceptional though it, is, as the mid-credit scene is of the old TT team cutting into the credits to say they might have found a way back.

Edit: Aaaand we're done with Beyond Earth. The no-attack animations bug gets worse the later in you got, so bollocks to conquest - in the end, having done all the exploring and such, it came down to "click end turn." The diplomacy system, where you give other people stufff and they pay you in diplomatic captial,a nad you use that to buy abilities from them is interetsing for the first hour or so, and then becomes "click okay" as you dodn't really care what they're asking you for. Thought, "the conact victiry looks easy from here" - built te wonder... "wait 67 turns." (Is on turn 580 something.) Sod that, so I started both the empancipationa nd promised land victory conditions - apparently you can have 'em all on the go - and then end-turn waited out until they were within a turn of each other, and then did the one, reloaded and did the other.

Even the end is a bit of a bleh. Short animatic cutscene and a "you win" screen. Where's my damn play-by-play and my statistics and rating and score?

Well, it took about another 20 or sours hours, so that covers the expansion... So it's paiud for itself ad I'm probably never going to touch it again. It just isn't deep enough - and woefully bugged - to hold any kind of interest, sadly.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2018-08-10 at 06:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    TTG to the Movies was hilarious - but I did feel during the couple of moments where they were actually working as a competant team, that much as I love TTG, I missed that, too.

However, it appears, Tara Strong, bless 'er, said that she's been told there is a real chance that TT might get a season six if TTGttM does well (which is sort of seems to be), alongside TTG. (And also Young Justice, which would be the best of all worlds - all three co-existing. I mean, we could do without the live-action Titans, I think (since that looks... Reboot reboot level terribad).)

Spoiler: TTGttM
    Show
    And, no, this isn't just Tara trolling, I think, exceptional though it, is, as the mid-credit scene is of the old TT team cutting into the credits to say they might have found a way back.
    That's the main problem actually, they don't have actual straight person for the show. I mean even Mr. Enter pointed out that issue on why two of the notorious shows managed to work, sadly though it was never enough to stop the reboot Powerpuff to get cancelled since they just go back to "not sure what to do but we'll add cool kids stuff".
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

20. - Top - End - #1340

Spoiler: Meto's entry for the 18th prompt of the ATG
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Friendship University
    Show
    Overall I thought this was a decent episode. It was interesting to see Flim and Flam antagonize somepony else besides Applejack for a change, though I do have to wonder if this debacle is going to be enough to cost Neighsay his position at the EEA. It's conceivable to me that there are enough ponies with similarly xenophobic mindsets at the EEA to shield Neighsay from the consequences his outburst during the season opener, but here Neighsay neglected to perform his due diligence despite being informed of Flim and Flam's past, which in turn makes the EEA itself look incompetent, something that many organizations in my experience are much less willing to forgive.
    Twilight, though, could stand to learn a few lessons in subterfuge, or at least the idea that it's much easier to investigate somepony if they aren't clearly aware that you're trying to investigate them. Also, Rarity, Twilight is absolutely the type of pony to allow her feelings to cloud her judgement; see Lesson Zero, What About Discord and the freaking movie.
    Finally, I find Starswirl much less punchable now that he seems to be done being a jackass. Good for him.
    Overall, I'd probably give this episode a solid B. It didn't really do anything outstanding, but it was enjoyable and didn't have any glaring negatives.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1342

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Show
    I do have to wonder if this debacle is going to be enough to cost Neighsay his position at the EEA.

Finally, I find Starswirl much less punchable now that he seems to be done being a jackass. Good for him.
    Show
    Nah, I doubt it'll hurt him much. Despite the charges against the CEO of the company that owned the private college I worked for, he bought his way out of it and still retied with millions of dollars in his pocket. Neighsay probably will come up with some excuse that he was shammed just as much as the next pony and will probably get away with just a slap on the wrist to research his accredited schools better next time. He seems the weaselly type to get out of trouble from his petard.

Yeah, he wasn't so bad now. It made sense he'd go to this school cause it's right here and Twi's school was a long ways away. He's been out of the loop a thousand years, I can see him getting duped by the Flim-Flams.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Seriously Twilight, a post-it note? Couldn't you make a quick call to Starlight to do some cutie-mark magic to hide your flank, or just *put on some clothing*?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

24. - Top - End - #1344

BlackDragon

Unrelated: What, exactly, is Sunset Shimmer's pony magic/cutie mark for? Her human-geode ability is about memory/telepathy, but we've been told that the human-world magic is not the same as equestrian, so I'm not trying to make assumptions here.
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Seriously Twilight, a post-it note?
    That was Rarity's idea. Twilight merely acquiesced to it, even though she thought it (and the eyepatch) stupid.

I'm more annoyed that Rarity half-assed it. Her human counterpart didn't, when it came time for her to disguise Twilight.

26. - Top - End - #1346

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    I got it only after I remembered Granny Smith is voiced by Tabitha, tbh.
    Let me guess: All of those characters have the same voice actor?

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Banned

Let me guess: All of those characters have the same voice actor?
    You don't have to guess. Voice actors are credited. They have to be, under the ACTRA and SAG-AFTRA contracts.

28. - Top - End - #1348

Unrelated: What, exactly, is Sunset Shimmer's pony magic/cutie mark for? Her human-geode ability is about memory/telepathy, but we've been told that the human-world magic is not the same as equestrian, so I'm not trying to make assumptions here.
    Other than my snarky answer of "It's just for show", I am not sure. :o
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #1349

BlackDragon

Sure, but checking the end credits is a lot harder than just making a wild guess on a forum of fans and fanatics :-)

Besides, (a) I don't know all of those ponies by name, (b) I'd have to hunt down episodes where they appear and check several different sets of end credits.

===

Where in that Deadpool video was the "power ponies" that he was considering as a team? I saw a hand-drawing of Xmen, but nothing closer than that.

30. - Top - End - #1350

I'm assuming "Magic," same as Twilight, Starlight, and presumably Trixie and Starswirl.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks