New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Vampire the Masquerade in 5e?

I'm thinking about making a Vampire the Masquerade setting in 5e edition d&d, but I never created a world before. I know this requires a lot of time and dedication, but time is in short supply unfortunately. Therefore, I thought I'd would be wise to come here first to ask whether someone else made such a world already. That would be really awesome! Does anyone know of such a homebrew world? Something similar is fine as well.
    Last edited by Foxydono; 2018-02-01 at 08:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vampire the Masquerade in 5e?

If you want inspiration, it's already been done for 3e.

Note that you'll have to fudge a lot in order to make the two settings compatible. WoD is based on the idea of supernaturals having to hide from mundane humanity, while D&D has the supernatural right in the open. (Not to mention that WoD's world didn't age well past the 90s. The internet, complete with social media and everybody carrying a camera around with them at all times, would make the masquerade much more precarious than it was just a couple of decades ago.) The D20 engine has a flat probability curve by its very nature, and 5e's skill system in particular wasn't designed for much in the way of nuance, while WoD wants to make combat just one niche out of many instead of the game's focus where you want to find your niche within that role.

And most importantly, since the worlds are so very different, you'll have to decide which way you're translating. WoD on a D20 engine, as mentioned, might not be the wisest idea. D&D on one of the various storyteller engines would require a ton of work. Porting vampire clans into D&D (as opposed to all vampires having the grab bag template) might work, and would make them more developed characters - with the drawback that 5e doesn't really have deep rules for vampire PCs and that this is a lot of work unless vampire villains are going to be a major thing with your campaign.

So unless you feel like doing a bunch of extra overhead to make vampire clans into workable PC classes/races, I wonder what the ultimate goal here is.