New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Pokemon: The First Movie (1999)

I'm going to throw another oldie and this time it's a Pokemon movie. I'm going to tell you my thoughts on Pokemon: The First Movie (1999).

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Pokemon: The First Movie (1999)
    Show
    Well first Pokemon The First Movie is about Ash, Misty and Brock face Mewtwo, The bioengineering Pokemon with the DNA of the mythical Pokemon Mew. There was a lot of action and Pokemon fighting. Mewtwo confronted with Mew and the battle was epic. They blast Ash into stone. Which was very emotional for the Pokemon and cloned version. This anime movie is good. A good storyline and everything. The only issue that I have with this movie it's just not Oscar-worthy or award-worthy. But it's still a good movie overall if you're a Pokemon fan. So I'll give this movie 4 out of 5 stars.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pokemon: The First Movie (1999)

What flaws do you think make it unworthy of an Oscar?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    What flaws do you think to make it unworthy of an Oscar?
    Something that makes it not exceptional and great but again that just my opinion.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

But what is it that makes it not Oscar-Worthy?

What makes other movies you like Oscar-worthy?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    But what is it that makes it not Oscar-Worthy?

What makes other movies you like Oscar-worthy?
    As I said before the movie which not Oscar-worthy has flaws. The Oscar-worthy have no flaws and have to be prestige. Not all movies that I watch isn't Oscar-worthy in my opinion.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    As I said before the movie which not Oscar-worthy has flaws. The Oscar-worthy have no flaws and have to be prestige. Not all movies that I watch isn't Oscar-worthy in my opinion.
    Pretend, for the moment, that the Oscars didn't exist. Pretend that no awards shows for movies ever existed.

Now, can you tell us what flaws does the movie have? Remember, you can't say anything about Oscars, awards, or prestige.

If you can do that for every movie that you think has flaws, I think your reviews would improve!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, what are the flaws with Pokemon: The First Movie?

What are the flaws with any movie that isn't a 5/5? If it's not perfect, there should be a reason.

I'm not saying you have to do a Lindsey Ellis style video essay, but a bit more explaining what you think the film did well, or did not do well.

I would suggest like one paragraph of each, or two paragraphs of positives when you review a perfect movie. Of course, two paragraphs of negatives would be appropriate for a 0/5 or 1/5 rating, depending on what you consider the bottom of the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Pretend, for the moment, that the Oscars didn't exist. Pretend that no awards shows for movies ever existed.

Now, can you tell us what flaws does the movie have? Remember, you can't say anything about Oscars, awards, or prestige.

If you can do that for every movie that you think has flaws, I think your reviews would improve!

Yeah, this.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2019-07-18 at 09:25 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

It's a good movie but I just feel that the Pikachu have less action time and he was just only the minor character in the movie Also only most (not all) Pokemon was in it. It all 151 Pokemon was in it, It will be the ultimate Pokemon movie.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

What’s most interesting to me about this movie is the rumour that this was originally supposed to be the series finale for the anime.

The rumour goes that Pokémon was originally plotted to be a basic video game adaptation. Spend one or two seasons going over the game, then end with a theatrical movie to milk the last remaining dollars before the fad dies.

The main evidence for this is the original trailer for Mewtwo Strikes Back, which you can see below:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b70GRNYnacI

The trailer features an older Misty talking to a young girl. The theory goes that this is her telling her and Ash’s daughter the story of Mewtwo.

Of course, Pokémon turned out not to be a flash in the pan, so the creators then reworked the movie’s plot to allow the anime to continue (again, according to the theory).

Not sure if I buy it, but it’s fun to think about.
    Last edited by TripleD; 2019-07-18 at 10:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
    What’s most interesting to me about this movie is the rumour that this was originally supposed to be the series finale for the anime.

The rumour goes that Pokémon was originally plotted to be a basic video game adaptation. Spend one or two seasons going over the game, then end with a theatrical movie to milk the last remaining dollars before the fad dies.

The main evidence for this is the original trailer for Mewtwo Strikes Back, which you can see below:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b70GRNYnacI

The trailer features an older Misty talking to a young girl. The theory goes that this is her telling her and Ash’s daughter the story of Mewtwo.

Of course, Pokémon turned out not to be a flash in the pan, so the creators then reworked the movie’s plot to allow the anime to continue (again, according to the theory).

Not sure if I buy it, but it’s fun to think about.
    Yes it's also funny that Mewtwo have a male voice even though in the game that Mewtwo is genderless.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yes it's also funny that Mewtwo have a male voice even though in the game that Mewtwo is genderless.
    I suppose it was difficult to find an actual genderless person to do the voice acting.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

My favourite part is the central theme of 'Pokemon shouldn't have to fight',

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Ah, I see you're a person of culture as well.

In all seriousness, I saw this in a cinema in 1999 - I believe it was the first time I'd ever been in a cinema (I was 10 years old). It's also the very last time I've ever seen a cinema screen packed to capacity. There was not one empty seat, and this was (I think) the third week after it opened? You just don't see that nowadays.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It's funny that nobody even learned anything since Mewtwo just wiped their memories.

I really liked the movie back then, Mewtwo especially. The ending where Ash turns to stone and Pokemons' tears save him was always a bit corny though, I think even back then. Or Ash 'dying' didn't impact me that much since I don't think I ever cared for him that much as a main character.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Not like this"