New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Disenchantment

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Disenchantment

I'm watching this Enchantment on Netflix and so far I watch the first episode.

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Enchantment
    Show
    Matt Groening did a good job making Disenchantment. The first episode is about a daring princess escaped from an arranged marriage and join forces with an elf and demon. It has a mix of Comedy and Pathfinder roll into one. The first episode always the best one. I'll give it 5 out of 5 stars.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Disenchantment

I enjoyed the first season. It doesn't beat out futurama for me but when season two comes out sometime around September I'll watch it.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    I enjoyed the first season. It doesn't beat out futurama for me but when season two comes out sometime around September I'll watch it.
    Season 2 is out in September? Guess I'll have to renew my Netflix account soon to watch that and the new Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim special. Disenchantment is okay I guess. I really enjoyed the last two episodes of season 1 and am curious where the show goes from there. Also there are a bunch of very subtle Futurama references in Disenchantment. Like so subtle I only noticed them after watching youtube videos where they were pointed out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I found the series rather uninspired.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    To be fair, that's a damn near impossible standard. Futurama is all that is good and holy in TV.

...there's a chance it might be my favorite show ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Season 2 is out in September? Guess I'll have to renew my Netflix account soon to watch that and the new Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim special. Disenchantment is okay I guess. I really enjoyed the last two episodes of season 1 and am curious where the show goes from there. Also there are a bunch of very subtle Futurama references in Disenchantment. Like so subtle I only noticed them after watching youtube videos where they were pointed out.
    The 20th!

Also, while I don't expect it to have nearly as many subtleties as Futurama, David X. Cohen is pretty amazing about tiny little freeze-frame jokes, and there are plenty in Disenchantment . None have yet to match Lowes' א0א-Plex, but still a lot of gold in them hills.

... I cannot for the life of me get the naught in the proper position. Ha! Bow before my forum text mastery! I have created a simple standardized expression!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-24 at 04:18 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'm watching this Enchantment on Netflix and so far I watch the first episode.
    Given your robust endorsement I imagine you'll stick through until the end. For me and most viewers, Disenchantment has a promising beginning, an uneven middle, and an awesome climax at the end.

I'll be watching come season 2.

Spoiler: The really awesome shouldn't be spoiled twist to Season One
    Show
    I think even critiquing the season one episodes spoils the ending because I think what they do amounts to one of the best fake outs in TV or pseudo-TV.

It start off appearing to try to do an episodic format like Futurama, Simpsons, or Family Guy, although with a weird status quo that isn't quite comfortable being the status quo. Towards the end, however, suddenly they all
    Spoiler
    Show
    or what's left of them
    jump onto the serialization boat and speed off into a completely different sort of show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

But does it deserve an Oscar?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    But does it deserve an Oscar?
    It's a TV show not a movie.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I am also looking forward to the second season. I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of the first until the started developing the overarching plot. The episodic content was weak and a lot of the characters were men without something larger driving them. Only stuck it out because of the creator's history with Futurama, but I'm glad I did.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

10. - Top - End - #10

AssassinGuy

I'm hoping the sound quality improves. Maybe it's the recording studio they worked out or. maybe it's the voice actors still getting into their flow but much like the earliest simpsons and futurama episodes the show also started sounding pretty bad. I can't remember if it shaped up during the run of the season but I remember that being an initial reaction.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

As much as I loved the first 15 or so seasons of the Simpsons and Futurama, Disenchanted really didn't do anything for me. It did get better when it started to develop an actual story, but so far it was a very standard premise and it seems like most of the chances I saw for them to do something interesting and different just weren't taken.

The show isn't bad, but it isn't all that great either.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    It's a TV show not a movie.
    Does it deserve an Emmy then? That is the TV equivalent to an Oscar.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Does it deserve an Emmy then? That is the TV equivalent to an Oscar.
    Spoiler: My Opinion
    Show
    I watched all 10 episode and in my honest opinion. It's Emmy-worthy so yes.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    I am also looking forward to the second season. I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of the first until the started developing the overarching plot. The episodic content was weak and a lot of the characters were men without something larger driving them. Only stuck it out because of the creator's history with Futurama, but I'm glad I did.
    I agree with this assessment. Its curious, though, the maker of Futurama and the Simpsons could (or didn't bother) making the characters themselves fleshed out enough to sustain a show on a stand alone episode basis alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar