New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Looking for a "Fishing village with a dark secret" module

Just completely blanking on the names of anything that would make this easy to find.

An adventure module about a small fishing village that has ties to a dark ocean god/demon/whatever. Involves half-human fishy hybrids. Original plot was in that one book by that one author who wrote about a lot of tentacley monsters? (Yeah my brain is just really not working well right now)

To clarify: Not looking for a specific module, just one that has that theme. I'm playing 5E DnD in the 6-10th level tier but any system or level works, I'd just like a solid framework to build off of.

Really hope your collective brains aren't farting as much as mine is right now. Bonus points if you can tell me what frickin book by what frickin author I'm thinking about cause that's gonna drive me crazy. I wanna say Lovecraft but I keep thinking naw it's one of the other guys who wrote similar stuff.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Looking for a "Fishing village with a dark secret" module

The story you're thinking of is "The Shadow over Innsmouth" by Lovecraft iirc
    Don't know about any modules though

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

There this one, don't think it's particularly Lovecraftian though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_at_Dunwater
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

The module The Last Breaths of Ashenport from Dungeon Magazine issue 156 would work excellently with this. Not sure if I am allowed to link a pdf of it, but google can do wonders.
    Last edited by Wasteomana; 2018-02-04 at 11:35 PM.
    Interested in giving 4e D&D a shot? All players, new and old, are welcome to join us over at the Guild Living Campaign on Roll20. Feel free to post on the thread or PM me for more information.

You can also follow me on Youtube. I am currently working on a series of videos aimed at helping Dungeon Masters from all editions work at improving the craft that is being a DM with my series Beg Borrow and Steal.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

First of all, here is the text of the original novella. Fair warining though: Innsmouth is one of the major works of HPL where his racism is quite obvious. That can significantly reduce your enjoyment of the story, if you take Creepy Howie at all serious. I would recommend that you don't.

Your best choice for an adventure like this are definitely a few Call of Cthulhu adventures/campaigns, for obvious reasons. The most relevant for this are:

Before the Fall: Life in a fish-thing breeding ground city. It contains 3 somewhat repetetive scenarios of growing realisation that something is very wrong in ugly old Innsmouth.

Escape from Innsmouth: This book contains a more detailed desctiption of the town, the great reveal of the Deep Ones and, in the second half, the Raid on Innsmouth, bascially a series of Vignettes of how to fight against the fishmonsters on location. It's trash, but of the fun kind.

Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island: Highly derivative of the original story, making it by default the best of these scenarios under the premise that the players don't know the original novella. It is a decent introduction adventure to CoC for unfamiliar players.

My personal favorite of the Deep One Adventures is Bless the Beasts and Children in the pretty good adventure anthology Adventures in Arkham Country (the first scenario therein, A Happy Family is another favorite). This is a less deviative scenario than the others, and thus can be played really well as a follow-up to one of the more traditional Innsmouth scenarios.
    Last edited by Black Jester; 2018-02-05 at 02:26 AM.
    Play the world, not the rules. Numbers don't add up to a game - ideas do.

6. - Top - End - #6

The Styes and the Weavers from Dragon magazine, both from Pett.

Scenic Dunnsmouth for lamentation of the flame Princess - as the name implies is equal parts dunnwich and innsmouth

As an inspiration - an old episodes from the one shot podcast: look for " scooby doo chtulhu ". I promise, it's quite good :)

7. - Top - End - #7

Woop! That was quick! Thanks everyone. Bonus points for Black Jester and Consensus!

I have a big stack of Dungeon Magazines gifted by a retired Grognard so I'll dig through those, see if I have #156.

I've never played Call of Cthulu before but I'm pretty sure my upstairs neighbor was super into it at some point so I'll see if he might have some material I can borrow to get some more help with the tone.

We're doing a long-running campaign where I'm trying to run through as many different horror genres as we can. So far they've done a supernatural murder-mystery, a satan baby plot, a haunted house, a zombie/ghoul uprising, and we're about to get into a hills have eyes style gorror bit. All of this is somehow connected to a hammer horror Mad Doctor (tm)'s experiments, of course.

If anyone has suggestions for other horror themes I could touch on throw em at me. Probably won't get to them in-game for upwards of a year though. We move pretty slowly.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    I have a big stack of Dungeon Magazines gifted by a retired Grognard so I'll dig through those, see if I have #156.
    In this case you are probably out of luck for two reasons:
    1) Any self-respecting Grognard would not have any 4e publications nearby
    2) Like all of the 4e-era Dungeon Issues, being digital-only does not lend itself well for bein stacked

But the idea is a very fitting hook for a PnP Adventure. I've done my own adaption of Shadow over Innsmouth many years back. Was a blast.

I definitely reccomend reading the source material.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    In this case you are probably out of luck for two reasons:
    1) Any self-respecting Grognard would not have any 4e publications nearby
    2) Like all of the 4e-era Dungeon Issues, being digital-only does not lend itself well for bein stacked

But the idea is a very fitting hook for a PnP Adventure. I've done my own adaption of Shadow over Innsmouth many years back. Was a blast.

I definitely reccomend reading the source material.
    Huh. Surprisingly you are correct: I do not have a physical copy of a magazine for which no physical copies were created. I will be writing an angry letter. Sounds like communism to me.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Feat of Ravenmoor is a good one.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Huh. Surprisingly you are correct: I do not have a physical copy of a magazine for which no physical copies were created. I will be writing an angry letter. Sounds like communism to me.
    Luckily the digital copy is extremely easy to obtain.
    Interested in giving 4e D&D a shot? All players, new and old, are welcome to join us over at the Guild Living Campaign on Roll20. Feel free to post on the thread or PM me for more information.

You can also follow me on Youtube. I am currently working on a series of videos aimed at helping Dungeon Masters from all editions work at improving the craft that is being a DM with my series Beg Borrow and Steal.

12. - Top - End - #12

Daemon

"The Styes" in Dungeon 121 and "The Weavers" in dungeon 138 are also awesome adventures (and the location they're set in) with the sort of vibe you're looking for.
    The Romanov Incident A 3.5 campaign journal, complete. Magic! Mystery! Mind control! Murderous Demon Apes!
    The Curse of Artaith A 3.5 campaign journal, complete. Heavily influenced by the Dark Souls and Bloodborne games. Featuring lots and lots of death, player (character) and otherwise!
    Dammerung(old) and Dammerung 2.0 A 5e campaign journal, ongoing. My latest kitchen sink of a campaign setting, with magic radiation storms, underground undead hordes, and elder-god worshipping vikings

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Wasteomana View Post
    The module The Last Breaths of Ashenport from Dungeon Magazine issue 156 would work excellently with this. Not sure if I am allowed to link a pdf of it, but google can do wonders.
    Yep this is the module you're thinking of OP. It's great.
    Low Fantasy Gaming RPG - Free PDF at the link: https://lowfantasygaming.com/
    $1 Adventure Frameworks - RPG Mini Adventures: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=645444
    Midlands Low Magic Sandbox Setting - https://lowfantasygaming.com/2017/12...x-setting-pdf/
    GM Toolkits - Traps, Hirelings, Blackpowder, Mass Battle, 5e Hardmode, Olde World Loot http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...Fantasy-Gaming