New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Solo! First! Trailer! Superbowl!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    So make him a Mandalorian?
    Damn, I wish I'd thought to say that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    So make him a Mandalorian?

Hate to break it to you, but ya, there are people in real life who are just straight up jerks. Also, it its done well you wind up looking like Dredd, which is always a good thing.
    But they have feelings, they just don't show it to you probably because of some deep unresolved psychological issues.

No one is a jerk just cause.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    Wow, so edgy! Should he wear black armor as well? Haven't we grown past this "Badass jerk with no feelings" phase of characters? It feels, looks and sounds so juvenile. Give real humans.

No one is like that in real life.
    .... he's a Bounty Hunter. I am sorry, but are those supposed to be good guys in Star Wars?

Literally a hired assassin/kidnapper for mob lords and tyrannical governments.

Forcing a "good guy" narrative on the main character is always stupid. How about a good story where the protagonist is a villain and the antagonist is a hero? Instead of co-opting the eternally cliché "the bad guy has to fight an even worse bad guy, therefore showing he is a good guy after all.

Edit: if you want something that goes beyond the one Boba character (and theres nothing wrong with that), do the Dredd thing and give him an Audience Surrogate character who has their own character arc. Just.. ya know, not Fett.

I dunnow, maybe a minor bounty caught early on by Fett. Or a young bounty hunter who was initially hired in the contract, and Boba *has* to give him lipservice teamwork to get any payment.
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2018-02-07 at 05:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    .... he's a Bounty Hunter. I am sorry, but are those supposed to be good guys in Star Wars?

Forcing a "good guy" narrative on the main character is always stupid. How about a good story where the protagonist is a villain and the antagonist is a hero?
    Like Lord of War?

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Like Lord of War?
    The Nicolas Cage movie? I liked that one..

.. but i thought Yuri was pretty humanized in that movie. And still came off as an absolute inhuman.

Edit: sorry, i wasnt sure to which part you answered.

Yhea, kind of like in Lord of War. I like that. Although, making it an action flick and have the hero die at the end...

Wait. No..better idea: make Boba Fett The Predator . The complete and utter determined hunter.

Its just that, ya know, he wins at the end.
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2018-02-07 at 05:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

The Nicolas Cage movie? I liked that one..

.. but i thought Yuri was pretty humanized in that movie. And still came off as an absolute inhuman.
    He was humanized a lot. He was still an absolutely horrible person and I didn't feel any sympathy for him at any point.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Forcing a "good guy" narrative on the main character is always stupid. How about a good story where the protagonist is a villain and the antagonist is a hero? Instead of co-opting the eternally cliché "the bad guy has to fight an even worse bad guy, therefore showing he is a good guy after all.

Edit: if you want something that goes beyond the one Boba character (and theres nothing wrong with that), do the Dredd thing and give him an Audience Surrogate character who has their own character arc. Just.. ya know, not Fett.

I dunnow, maybe a minor bounty caught early on by Fett. Or a young bounty hunter who was initially hired in the contract, and Boba *has* to give him lipservice teamwork to get any payment.
    Bounty hunters in the Star Wars universe are, nominally, legitimate licensed individuals authorized by the republic or empire to engage in regulated contracts for the retrieval or termination of criminal elements. There are, for example, lots of pirates that make Jabba look downright nonviolent, and bounty hunters will frequently go after them. They locate individuals for retrieval, either by themselves or the contracting party. They do legitimate mercenary work. Yeah, they are sometimes assassins, but Han Solo murdered a guy in a bar, Obi-Wan dismembered somebody for starting a bar fight, Luke and Leia slaughtered everyone on Jabba's barge, etc... Its not like the good guys exactly have qualms against killing people for various reasons either.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Bounty hunters in the Star Wars universe are, nominally, legitimate licensed individuals authorized by the republic or empire to engage in regulated contracts for the retrieval or termination of criminal elements. There are, for example, lots of pirates that make Jabba look downright nonviolent, and bounty hunters will frequently go after them. They locate individuals for retrieval, either by themselves or the contracting party. They do legitimate mercenary work. Yeah, they are sometimes assassins, but Han Solo murdered a guy in a bar, Obi-Wan dismembered somebody for starting a bar fight, Luke and Leia slaughtered everyone on Jabba's barge, etc... Its not like the good guys exactly have qualms against killing people for various reasons either.
    You are applying logic where none belongs.

Traditionally, in Star Wars, "bounty hunters" are the bad guys. Or bad guy behavior (see: book 1 Cade Skywalker)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Traditionally, in Star Wars, "bounty hunters" are the bad guys. Or bad guy behavior (see: book 1 Cade Skywalker)
    well if were drawing from the EU, Boba Fett and Han Solo eventually became, not friends exactly, but mutually respectful of each other. They might be antagonists, but that doesn't make them bad guys or unable to be protagonists.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

But they have feelings, they just don't show it to you probably because of some deep unresolved psychological issues.

No one is a jerk just cause.
    You mean like seeing your father get his head chopped off and having no applicable skills except for a predilection for combat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

11. - Top - End - #101

well if were drawing from the EU, Boba Fett and Han Solo eventually became, not friends exactly, but mutually respectful of each other. They might be antagonists, but that doesn't make them bad guys or unable to be protagonists.
    Also, it's possible to have a "bad guy" still be the "hero." For instance, in the novel Jurassic Park, the T-Rex is the biggest freaking danger on the island. The raptors are not at all downplayed, and are actually a bit more terrifying than in the movie, but they have their own goals. The T-Rex, meanwhile, is the freaking Terminator. She is a relentless machine that stalks Grant throughout the whole story. She does not give up, she does not stop.

Meanwhile, in the movie, they decided to make the raptors the big threat, and made the T-Rex the hero by having her jump in at the end and save Grant and Co. She's still a nigh-unstoppable force of nature, she still inspires abject terror in any protagonist that so much as sees her, but she takes on the hero role and saves the gang.

12. - Top - End - #102

Yhea.. EU really went full fanwank on BF's "honor" and "respect"

Boba Fett's first appearance had Darth Vader, the man who casually murder surbodinates and the incarnation of the Emperor's murderous will, tell him specifically to exercise restraint and not kill prisoners

I mean.. Boba Fett has grown into something he never was in the first place. His entire characterization was:

1- Competent
    2- Callous disregard for life

He speaks twice in the OT. The first time is to acknowledge the previously mentioned order of restraint by Mister Murdersalot, the second time is him voicing worries at the potential death of Solo because it would cause him financial loss.

13. - Top - End - #103

Boba Fett's first appearance had Darth Vader, the man who casually murder surbodinates and the incarnation of the Emperor's murderous will, tell him specifically to exercise restraint and not kill prisoners

I mean.. Boba Fett has grown into something he never was in the first place. His entire characterization was:

1- Competent
    His characterization was more competent than the Imperial Fleet and Darth Vader. And Vader didn't tell him specifically to exercise restraint and not kill prisoners, he told them that he wanted the people explicitly alive. Dead or alive is clearly an option, and he was negating that option.

I agree with you about the "honor and respect" being introduced with no bearing on how he was shown in the movies, but ESB presented Fett as hyper-competent.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

1- Competent

He speaks twice in the OT. The first time is to acknowledge the previously mentioned order of restraint by Mister Murdersalot, the second time is him voicing worries at the potential death of Solo because it would cause him financial loss.
    So what? He kills people, big deal. Like I said, that doesn't set him apart from pretty much anybody in the cast of the OT except Mon Mothma, who herself orders people into battle.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

1- Competent

It took years for Fett to stop being a cold amoral a**hole, also his Granddaughter helped move him past that. And even when he was amoral, he still was honorable as he cared about the contract. He took it, by god he was gonna finish it.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

His characterization was more competent than the Imperial Fleet and Darth Vader. And Vader didn't tell him specifically to exercise restraint and not kill prisoners, he told them that he wanted the people explicitly alive. Dead or alive is clearly an option, and he was negating that option.

I agree with you about the "honor and respect" being introduced with no bearing on how he was shown in the movies, but ESB presented Fett as hyper-competent.
    Don't take my use of a single word as anything meant to derogate his skill as depicted on screen.

He isnt merely "competent" when you measure his skills. But thats the main point of characterisation that defines Boba Fett. When the first thing people think about you is "competent", you have to be damn good at your job.

Compare to Bossk, most people would call him "Lizard"

17. - Top - End - #107

Don't take my use of a single word as anything meant to derogate his skill as depicted on screen.

He isnt merely "competent" when you measure his skills. But thats the main point of characterisation that defines Boba Fett. When the first thing people think about you is "competent", you have to be damn good at your job.

Compare to Bossk, most people would call him "Lizard"
    My bad. Limitations of text, and all, I chalk it up to.

18. - Top - End - #108

So what? He kills people, big deal. Like I said, that doesn't set him apart from pretty much anybody in the cast of the OT except Mon Mothma, who herself orders people into battle.
    Err.. what?

Okay. Who among the heroes have a similar disregard to life?

19. - Top - End - #109

My bad. Limitations of text, and all, I chalk it up to.
    I am not offended. I agree with your caveat ;)

20. - Top - End - #110

Wow, so edgy! Should he wear black armor as well? Haven't we grown past this "Badass jerk with no feelings" phase of characters? It feels, looks and sounds so juvenile. Give real humans.

No one is like that in real life.
    Eh... sayeth what?? You described a real human. Way more real than the waffling idiots we got in TLJ.

I’m leaning towards Cikomyr here but I disagree a little as well. If only because so far Boba doesn’t really have a character or personality. So to say he should be a certain way seems strange. That said, I’d lean closer to Cikomyr’s interpretation than not.

Though I think Dredd is different because he operates within the law. He’s an enforcer (and judge and jury for that matter). A mercenary would come across differently, and I’m not sure it’d have the same charm.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't get why people think he's so cool, he gets eaten in the end.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2018-02-07 at 07:05 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

With regard to Boba Fett - his appearances in TCW are part of the new canon. His character is far from the blank mask presented in the OT. That ship has sailed.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    With regard to Boba Fett - his appearances in TCW are part of the new canon. His character is far from the blank mask presented in the OT. That ship has sailed.
    What’s he like in The Clone Wars?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Err.. what?

Okay. Who among the heroes have a similar disregard to life?
    As I said before, Han Solo murders a guy in a bar. Obi-wan pulls out his "civilized" weapon in what is easily the most graphic scene in the OT on a guy who shoved Luke. Luke himself has easily the highest body count of the main cast, having destroyed the Death Star, and barring that he cuts people apart with a lightsaber on Jabba's sail barge. Chewbacca, and wookiees in general, are known for dismembering people who agitate them. Frankly, Boba Fett is probably the character with the least displayed bloodlust, since at least he seems professional about it.

My point is, "Vader tells him not to kill somebody" does not distinguish him as being particularly, or unnecessarily, violent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    What’s he like in The Clone Wars?
    Angry, mostly, but keep in mind he's still a kid at that time. He's trying to build a reputation and live up to his father's legacy, so he's under a lot of pressure.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2018-02-07 at 07:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

As I said before, Han Solo murders a guy in a bar. Obi-wan pulls out his "civilized" weapon in what is easily the most graphic scene in the OT on a guy who shoved Luke. Luke himself has easily the highest body count of the main cast, having destroyed the Death Star, and barring that he cuts people apart with a lightsaber on Jabba's sail barge. Chewbacca, and wookiees in general, are known for dismembering people who agitate them. Frankly, Boba Fett is probably the character with the least displayed bloodlust, since at least he seems professional about it.
    Han is saving his life. Obi-wan is saving the galaxy. Luke is saving the galaxy. Etc.

This is not the disregard that he is referring to.
    My point is, "Vader tells him not to kill somebody" does not distinguish him as being particularly, or unnecessarily, violent.
    He specifically tells Boba not to disintegrate anyone. That suggests a reputation. Like... Boba has a habit of disintegrating people.

EDIT: Saw your edit Keltest. Any idea how fans reacted to his portrayal?
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2018-02-07 at 07:18 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

I don't get why people think he's so cool, he gets eaten in the end.
    Then frees himself from said sarlaac by fixing his jet pack and goes on to have a very successful career and eventually becomes Mandalore. So thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    He specifically tells Boba not to disintegrate anyone. That suggests a reputation. Like... Boba has a habit of disintegrating people.

EDIT: Saw your edit Keltest. Any idea how fans reacted to his portrayal?
    Frankly, doing that once would get you a rep, as disintegrators are illegal, im just not sure if he's ever shown as doing it more than once.

As for my personal reaction, he was alright. Not amazing, but reasonably memorable and kinda what id expect a young Boba to be like.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2018-02-07 at 07:27 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

As I said before, Han Solo murders a guy in a bar.
    You mean he guy who had him at gunpoint? In any legislation, thats self defense

Obi-wan pulls out his "civilized" weapon in what is easily the most graphic scene in the OT on a guy who shoved Luke.
    ...and pulled a gun on Luke. Selective memory much?

Luke himself has easily the highest body count of the main cast, having destroyed the Death Star, and barring that he cuts people apart with a lightsaber on Jabba's sail barge.
    The Death Star is an act of war. Do you call soldiers murderers?

Jabba's barge was trying to kill him

Chewbacca, and wookiees in general, are known for dismembering people who agitate them.
    No they arent. Han was pulling 3PO's leg.

Frankly, Boba Fett is probably the character with the least displayed bloodlust, since at least he seems professional about it.
    Again, who in the above show a bloodlust ?!?! And i didnt say Fett had a bloodlust. Just that he doesnt regard life as precious

Angry, mostly, but keep in mind he's still a kid at that time. He's trying to build a reputation and live up to his father's legacy, so he's under a lot of pressure.
    So plenty of room to grow until the OT

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Han's life was never really in any danger. Greedo was never gonna pull the trigger and Han knew it. That's why he was so relaxed in the scene. He shot him in cold blood.

Remember the bounty on Han was only for him being alive. Han being dead gets Greedo nothing but Jabba being pissed at him.

29. - Top - End - #119

I am not offended. I agree with your caveat ;)
    I'm very pleased with my efforts to not be sarcastic online; that's at least twice in very recent memory I've completely misunderstood what you meant, and twice I saved myself from being a jackass by nixing sarcasm from my response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Han's life was never really in any danger. Greedo was never gonna pull the trigger and Han knew it. That's why he was so relaxed in the scene. He shot him in cold blood.

Remember the bounty on Han was only for him being alive. Han being dead gets Greedo nothing but Jabba being pissed at him.
    Source? Greedo is shown as being pretty stupid, and I don't have any issue believing hed be stupid enough to off Solo.

Also, he was "relaxed" because he's cool under pressure. You also see this when he's being shot at, chased by Star Destroyers, captured by a moon-sized space station. Invited to lunch by Vader, etc. etc.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

We know he's under no actual threat of death because the script and things added into the special edditions elaborate that Jabba's right there and he just wants to talk. He doesn't want Han hurt in any way. Han being dead means he doesn't get his money.