New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1112 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Not sure the memory thing works that way--I don't think we've ever seen Durkon show a memory of a dream or fantasy to Durkula. It would be rather easy for an unco-operative host to trick the vampire if it was possible for them to show things that weren't actually real, you'd think?
    What if it's a real memory of an actual fantasy he had way back then though?
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

2. - Top - End - #212
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Durkon's memories (somehow) place the "camera" outside of Durkon's body, so that the memories show him as if a third person was watching. A memory of Durkon having a fantasy would probably just look like Durkon sitting in one place for a long while, staring into space.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

That would still be open to abuse by the host spirit to fool the vampire, unless there's something very obviously different between the fantasy and reality.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

That would still be open to abuse by the host spirit to fool the vampire, unless there's something very obviously different between the fantasy and reality.
    Well fantasy and dreams are much less sequential and logical than reality. I am thinking of that episode of Doctor Who where Donna realizes she is not in reality when she goes from accepting some guy's proposal to the altar with absolutely no in-between time.

It alsolooks like Durkon's "memory projection" doesn't work like actual memory since it can show things he himself cannot recall.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #215

That's not something he couldn't recall--it's something he could barely recall; Greg says as much in the penultimate panel there.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Well fantasy and dreams are much less sequential and logical than reality. I am thinking of that episode of Doctor Who where Donna realizes she is not in reality when she goes from accepting some guy's proposal to the altar with absolutely no in-between time.

It alsolooks like Durkon's "memory projection" doesn't work like actual memory since it can show things he himself cannot recall.
    Jist because he couldn't recall it in that instance isn't the same as forgetting it entirely. Like if you asked me where I was two years ago, I probably wouldn't remember, straight away, but if you said that was when I met Steve Buscemi, then I'd remember.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Has anyone else noticed Rich's tweets on the nature of vampires over in the sidebar? This one I found interesting.

They're vampires. This is what vampires are: a negative energy consciousness created in the shape of your own worst impulses, stuffed into your dead body to animate it
    And this one:

Correct, though obviously it came "pre-loaded" with certain knowledge, like language and whatever Hel told it to do as she was shoving it in there.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I'm thinking a treant or two would be useful to have for the coming battle. Maybe even a treant druid (yeah, I know they aren't a thing outside of possibly obscure 3rd party books). Well, the short ceilings and having to fight alongside dwarves are both problems. :)

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dilvish View Post
    I'm thinking a treant or two would be useful to have for the coming battle. Maybe even a treant druid (yeah, I know they aren't a thing outside of possibly obscure 3rd party books). Well, the short ceilings and having to fight alongside dwarves are both problems. :)
    I would be very surprised to see a treant on the dwarven country
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    I would be very surprised to see a treant on the dwarven country
    Me too. Unless it was a prisoner of war, or a bartender, or both.
    Last edited by Dilvish; 2018-02-19 at 05:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dilvish View Post
    Me too. Unless it was a prisoner of war, or a bartender, or both.
    I think I would have more questions if he was both.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Why was the Treant Druid a good idea again?

13. - Top - End - #223

I...suppose they don't have blood to drink? Or maybe Dilvish was thinking that Durkon gibbering with terror inside Greg's mind as Greg had to fight a tree would be distracting.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I...suppose they don't have blood to drink? Or maybe Dilvish was thinking that Durkon gibbering with terror inside Greg's mind as Greg had to fight a tree would be distracting.
    I didn't think about Durkon gibbering with terror. :) No blood to drink is one thing. If OOtS vampires can be killed by wood through the heart, ... Do treants count as wood? Do they float?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I...suppose they don't have blood to drink?
    Are you kidding? Their blood goes great on pancakes!
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Are you kidding? Their blood goes great on pancakes!
    Oh! my god! ... I'm a treant vampire!

17. - Top - End - #227

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sarbos View Post
    Oh! my god! ... I'm a treant vampire!
    A vampire who feeds on treants, or a treant who's been turned into a vampire? (Yes, I know by RAW the latter isn't possible because the vampire template can only be applied to a humanoid or monstrous humanoid, and a treant is a plant, but I bet there's some DM out there who has actually done it regardless...).

18. - Top - End - #228

A vampire who feeds on treants, or a treant who's been turned into a vampire? (Yes, I know by RAW the latter isn't possible because the vampire template can only be applied to a humanoid or monstrous humanoid, and a treant is a plant, but I bet there's some DM out there who has actually done it regardless...).
    The Monstrous Vampire template from Ghostwalk is virtually identical to regular vampires, only it's a stone rather than a coffin, that it has to return to before dawn. It gets almost every living, Material Plane creature type - plant is one of the exceptions though:

A Monstrous Vampire can be an aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or vermin.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

19. - Top - End - #229

DM? No. TSR? Yes, for Ravenloft.