New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Predictions for Star Wars Episode 9

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    The producers are a known quantity. The ultimate person in control of Star Wars is Kathleen Kennedy. She has the final say. Her decision making process so far has not been especially good, particularly in not pulling Rian Johnson's all new trilogy from production after the disastrous fan response to TLJ. One can debate that movie's merits, but the massive fan outcry is not a question and there's no reason to reward the person behind such controversy.
    This absolutely cannot happen. Kennedy struggled to get a director for 7 since nobody wanted to touch it(and even J.J. initially refused), booted the director for 9, and booted two for Solo. Trank got the axe before anyone even knew what his film was. Lucasfilm is very much gaining a reputation for being difficult to work with and if they dropped him from this film it would cement that reputation. Instead, Johnson will direct the first movie and at best be a producer on the rest of the trilogy. He was only formally announced as directing the one.

But for what it's worth, the Executive Producer for The Last Jedi wasn't Kathleen Kennedy. It was J.J. Abrams. On paper at least, he was the one who wielded ultimate power over the film and could veto or push through any decision he pleased. The official line is he essentially never used it, and instead J.J. was willing to change things in his film to accommodate this one, but that's neither here nor there. The obvious conclusion is that this was a puff piece to distract from the last movies flaws while hyping this one up(which could be said for a lot of things, like that ridiculous video claiming that Daisy Ridley is some kind of anime protagonist who can sponge other people's fighting techniques instantly).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I'm honestly coming to the conclusion that, rehash or not, the franchise should have ended after TFA. Maybe RO (although I disliked the film). But TLJ managed that trick of being disliked by both OT fans and PT fans (yes, we do exist*). TFA left on a to be continued note that in all honesty didn't need a sequel, because it felt like a case of 'you all know what's coming'. If we ignore the PT for a moment TFA hinted at a galactic cycle, where an Empire would rise, a rebellion would form, and Jedi would ultimately help the rebellion take down the Empire. That would have been interesting.

* In my opinion most of the PT's plot holes are in TPM. The problems with the PT ate poor direction leading to poor acting and an over reliance on CGI.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Until TFA I have never been able to spot mistakes in a movie before!

I don't actually mind the PT because at worst as long as they don't blow up C3-PO I can justify it by saying that's how C3-PO thought it happened even though he was clearly mind wiped in ROTS!

TFA should have kept Poe involved he recognises the Falcon given he pretty much grew up alongside it as a child so they escape the TIEs he gets BB-8 to call Chewie they come pick them up but instead of Rathtars he's smuggling supplies to the Resistance and Poe's unit is aboard along with starfighters.
    Han takes them to Takodana, Kylo follows them there due to the tracker Unkar placed on the Falcon.
    Maz's Castle is used by pirates, smugglers, etc so when attacked they fight back!
    Starkiller Base doesn't shoot across the galaxy that would need the targets "painted" so it can lock on so either demonstrate FO ships in orbit being used for that purpose don't make up stuff because you think bigger is better use current tech as a way of explaining why they can do that so it might be eye opening but you have people realising they can do stuff like that today just nowhere near that scale!

Instead of that refresh hyperlight jump, how about Finn reveal its possible for a ship to pass through that shield if it has a FO IF Beacon oh look crashed FO Transport how about rigging it up to the Falcon so it can pass through?

It does so but lands quickly to avoid a TIE patrol.

Phasma is Rey's Aunt, SHE is also Snoke's apprentice and helped her influence the guard before arranging her capture so she can lead them to Rey.

Rest as filmed except Snoke coerced Kylo to kill Han it might be considered naff, but it would help if you want people thinking he can be redeemed even if you don't!

The Last Jedi: Holdo is Republic, Rose is a Special Forces Mechanic explaining her distrusting Finn better.
    Finn wakes up from nightmares of Rey being tortured in Snoke's presence.
    This causes Poe to delay going to the hangar and draws Holdo off the bridge as the actual spy tags both bridge and Poe's Starfighter to decapitate the leadership.
    At the same moment Leia Poppins occurs Luke is holding the lightsaber he tossed it aside because like it did to Rey it forcibly reawakens him causing him to help Leia save herself.
    Holdo sends Finn with a specforce unit (including Rose) to infiltrate the Supremacy he agrees because of his force vision.
    Their arguing gets them jailed whilst on Canto Blight, but avoids an intended FO trap to capture Finn.
    DJ helps them infiltrate the Supremacy by handing Finn over.
    Snoke uses Finn to draw Rey out before she's fully trained ala ESB because Snoke is a freaking Vader fanboy!
    We learn Rey was raised by a Jedi Survivor on Jakku meaning she was a fully trained Padawan who had to be freed from a Jedi induced mind whammies by Finn returning for her before she knew how to wield a lightsaber properly and not drop it and run because of her amnesia!
    Phasma free Finn to help her rescue this reveals Rey is her niece and the fact she helped them the last time yes the Darth Vader reveal subverted you know properly!
    Kylo breaks free from Snoke's control but Snoke is unaware when he reveals he coerced Kylo into killing Han that's why Kylo kills him.
    Phasma, Finn help Rey & Kylo fight Snoke's guard Finn grabs Rey and flees first chance he can as Kylo ascends the throne where he's promptly possessed by the true Snoke a force entity seeking a suitable host body given he keeps burning them out.
    DJ by the way helps them escape so he gets paid by both sides even though he gave the FO Finn!
    Holdo does her sacrifice but Kylo-Snoke shrugs knowing Leia is on Crait.
    Confrontation with illusionary Luke but Luke knows it's not Kylo mocking Snoke as he faces away and NOT DYING!

Sorry had to get that off my chest!

Episode 9: We learn the rest of the galaxy has risen but was too busy fighting the First Order to send help.
    Rey returns to Acht-Tu to finish her training hopefully we learn there's a Mon Calamari colony there so Luke actually rejoins them where they regroup calling in backup as he wasn't the only survivor of his academy that was just what the FO thought!

PS:In case you're wondering my spellchecker apparently doesn't understand to leave my typing the fcuk alone!
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2018-02-16 at 07:50 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Aaaaaaaaaaaand Abrams shot his mouth off again and confirmed for me that we are almost certainly going to get total garbage on par with Last Jedi for Episode 9.

So, yeah, I'm calling the franchise Dead. We will get some hits out of Rebels, but yeah, quality for the franchise is over.
    "I Burn!"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Aaaaaaaaaaaand Abrams shot his mouth off again and confirmed for me that we are almost certainly going to get total garbage on par with Last Jedi for Episode 9.

So, yeah, I'm calling the franchise Dead. We will get some hits out of Rebels, but yeah, quality for the franchise is over.
    Source?

I'm hoping somebody will capitalise on the downfall of Star Wars by trying to start a 'new' big space franchise. There's a lot of potential for a good Culture film, and while I'd love to see an adaptation of a Peter F. Hamilton book I understand that they would fail as films (you'd pretty much have to split each book into two to get in enough of the plot, and not every book has a decent 'end of part 1' climax).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Source?
    Maybe this?

And can we get over this? This world has 7 Billion people. Your brain cannot comprehend even 1 million. Statistics-wise there are gonna be jerks, and they are gonna have their voices heard, don't panic and don't treat them as somekind of cultural force that has to be "Defeated". Making "Positive" creations out of spite is a terrible thing to do and leads nowhere.

Number two, I KNOW RT and Disney know that more then just "Trolls" gave negative reviews to TLJ but its a good brush off point. This is to regular people: just because somebody takes credit for it doesn't make it real without evidence.

Edit:

or Maybe this
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2018-02-18 at 01:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    What?

People didn't like The Last Jedi, because it had too many women in it?

While I'm sure that's somewhat true for certain people, others had legitimate complaints about it. I also find that article highly manipulative, taking a response to the more idiotic complaints and suggesting that that's the entirety of the complaints.

Now I'll straight up admit, I suspect the difference of opinions regarding the film as being thanks to critics and general audiences wanting different things. Critics saw that it took risks, tried to shake up the status quo, and so on and so forth. Other people just wanted to see Star Wars. However a lot of articles I've seen have essentially told me I'm wrong for going to see a Star Wars film wanting to see Star Wars.

If I wanted a different kind of story, I wouldn't have bought a ticket to Star Wars. I'd have stayed home and read Red Mars or Fine Structure, watched Bablyon 5 or Star Trek, or maybe I'd have moved out of speculative fiction and watched a gangster film. Star Wars has a very specific style that I've come to associate with it, and I just didn't feel like TLJ fit that. But I'm apparently wrong because 'Star Wars has to grow up'.

Now I'm not going to claim these films have ruined my childhood or anything. I was born at exactly the right point for the Prequels to be coming out as I grew up, so I can't exactly claim to have the most objective view of the Star Wars franchise. But I think the Sequel Trilogy has lost it's place in my personal headcannon, and won't be inviting it to my Star Wars marathons.

And can we get over this? This world has 7 Billion people. Your brain cannot comprehend even 1 million. Statistics-wise there are gonna be jerks, and they are gonna have their voices heard, don't panic and don't treat them as somekind of cultural force that has to be "Defeated". Making "Positive" creations out of spite is a terrible thing to do and leads nowhere.
    Sure, Star Wars isn't dead yet. I maintain that it'll die at some point, maybe not within my lifetime, but eventually.

I'm just annoyed that the prevalence of Star Wars means my attempts to introduce people to the science fiction books I adore is difficult. Either I get 'so it's like Star Wars' and have to explain how very much that isn't true (or even how they came first), or people hear that they're not like Star Wars in every way and lose hope. To me it seems like that the amazing science fiction that has been written and is still being written cannot break out because Star Wars is too popular.

Number two, I KNOW RT and Disney know that more then just "Trolls" gave negative reviews to TLJ but its a good brush off point. This is to regular people: just because somebody takes credit for it doesn't make it real without evidence.
    Oh, sure. But I can still hate them for exactly that kind of manipulative tactics.

Edit:

or Maybe this
    This one is more interesting. I'll cop to the fact that I think TLJ at least gives JJ Abrams a good jumping off point to tell a story from. The Resistance is reduced to a single ship with their only force sensitive trying to become a self-trained Jedi. In that I think he's right in not letting fan backlash change how he's going to be making E9, because he's been left in a very good position with a bunch of characters audiences are invested in (even if some of us want to kill off Rose for getting in the way of our shipping).

I'd much rather fix Episode VIII by removing the plot problems I see and changing Luke's character somewhat (including having him give Rey some more actual training to justify her being skilled). My problem with the film isn't the destination, and I think Episode IX has a lot of potential due to where it has to start from, my problems are all with the journey. And the space bombers, don't forget the space bombers.

Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Now I'll straight up admit, I suspect the difference of opinions regarding the film as being thanks to critics and general audiences wanting different things. Critics saw that it took risks, tried to shake up the status quo, and so on and so forth.
    For me I thought its risks and shakeup where stupid. I wanted a shakeup more then ANY of those citics that dragged their feet at the accusation that TFA was a rehash.

If it was a risk, it was betting the farm on lottery tickets.
    if it was a shakeup, it was the kind that induces nausea and vomiting.
    Just because you subvert, doesn't make it GOOD.

And if all those critics bet all their filmographical knowledge on the idea of subversion, and then give a free check for any problems, then those critics have less film understanding then I do.

This one is more interesting. I'll cop to the fact that I think TLJ at least gives JJ Abrams a good jumping off point to tell a story from.
    In the same sense that I guess a burnt down apartment complex is a good jumping off point for luxury condoes.
    This is movie ****ing 9. 9! the third in this trilogy of "Jumping off Points".

This was always built on quicksand and it collapses into quicksand. They destroyed everything for the precious nostalgia bucks and to make a remake without needing to call it that.

I have HAD it giving JJ the opportunity. His remakes SUCK. He doesn't care, and doesn't understand the soul of anything. But he can dip anything in a coat of laminade and produce servicable nothing.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2018-02-18 at 03:03 PM.
    A little condescending

9. - Top - End - #39

I wouldn’t take too much from those articles. There are people vested in asking those questions to keep that particular narrative going, and obviously Abrams is going to criticize anyone that thinks “there are too many women in Star Wars”, which I’m sure is a laughingnly small number. I mean... who wouldn’t criticize them lol?

But these articles are pure fluff pieces. Nothing more.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    For me I thought its risks and shakeup where stupid. I wanted a shakeup more then ANY of those citics that dragged their feet at the accusation that TFA was a rehash.

If it was a risk, it was betting the farm on lottery tickets.
    if it was a shakeup, it was the kind that induces nausea and vomiting.
    Just because you subvert, doesn't make it GOOD.

And if all those critics bet all their filmographical knowledge on the idea of subversion, and then give a free check for any problems, then those critics have less film understanding then I do.
    I'm going to leave this alone, it's not my field.

In the same sense that I guess a burnt down apartment complex is a good jumping off point for luxury condoes.
    This is movie ****ing 9. 9! the third in this trilogy of "Jumping off Points".

This was always built on quicksand and it collapses into quicksand. They destroyed everything for the precious nostalgia bucks and to make a remake without needing to call it that.

I have HAD it giving JJ the opportunity. His remakes SUCK. He doesn't care, and doesn't understand the soul of anything. But he can dip anything in a coat of laminade and produce servicable nothing.
    Just to quickly go over the state of the 'game board' at the beginning of Episode IX. Ignoring what were obvious jokes even if they have potential as plot points (such as the 'union dispute', would be cool if it had repercussions in E9 but it's unlikely).

-The Resistance is reduced to a single ship.
    -The New Republic isn't strictly out of the game, but it's had most of it's leadership replaced by First Order supporters.
    -There are no known trained Jedi in the Galaxy.
    -Something is up with the Knights of Ren, but they've not appeared yet.
    -The heroes of the old generation are gone. Wasn't originally planned, but it's apparently canon now.
    -The Reistance's allies have abandoned it.
    -A variety of children have started to awaken to force powers (implied, not stated).
    -The First Order has lost it's strong leader, the new one has less vision and less competence.

We can extrapolate a few things from these. Some of them should have been the end of the first film in the trilogy, especially the destruction of the Resistance (at which point building a new one would be the focus of TLJ). I suspect that not only will several of these not be solved in the next film, not all of them are planned to be. It's less a burnt down apartment complex, and more a stripped bare building. Down to there only being a limited number of things you can realistically do without more demolishing.

I especially suspect that the Force Children are planned for post-ST stories if there's any plan for them at all.

Now TLJ is essentially proof that the ST wasn't properly drafted before TFA was made. Which means that I suspect that the plans for E9 were only made late in the creation of TLJ in order to include the events of that film in the events of the next one.

Now I like the suggestion of TFA and TLJ that this trilogy is essentially going to be one story in three parts rather than three separate stories which continue a single arc as the other two trilogies were. But those sort of stories only really work if A) you know where you're going (at least roughly) and B) can keep a consistent tone throughout.

I'm tired of bringing up Night's Dawn in comparison to the new Star Wars films, but to me they really do represent what the films are trying to capture. The Night's Dawn books have an epic storyline about the fate of humanity, larger than life characters, great plot twists, and plans seemingly being pulled out of characters' backsides. The difference is that in Night's Dawn when you go back throughout the story none of it contradicts anything previously established (the one bit that seems to is explained right away as 'this information is just never important').

Then again my favourite Star Wars is Revenge of the Sith. Make of that what you will.

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Just to quickly go over the state of the 'game board' at the beginning of Episode IX. Ignoring what were obvious jokes even if they have potential as plot points (such as the 'union dispute', would be cool if it had repercussions in E9 but it's unlikely).

-The Resistance is reduced to a single ship.
    -The New Republic isn't strictly out of the game, but it's had most of it's leadership replaced by First Order supporters.
    -There are no known trained Jedi in the Galaxy.
    -Something is up with the Knights of Ren, but they've not appeared yet.
    -The heroes of the old generation are gone. Wasn't originally planned, but it's apparently canon now.
    -The Reistance's allies have abandoned it.
    -A variety of children have started to awaken to force powers (implied, not stated).
    -The First Order has lost it's strong leader, the new one has less vision and less competence.
    None of these things are real jumping off points at all. They don't really change the game board and functionally what your going to be seeing onscreen will be about the same thing over again.

Except the force children thing and thats both terrible and stupid. If they say that the force is so spontenously evil that even slight hickups make hitlers, then more force is a bad thing not a good thing.
    Then again my favourite Star Wars is Revenge of the Sith. Make of that what you will.
    I think its pretty good. I like the prequels as a whole in parts.
    A little condescending

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

What?

People didn't like The Last Jedi, because it had too many women in it?

While I'm sure that's somewhat true for certain people, others had legitimate complaints about it. I also find that article highly manipulative, taking a response to the more idiotic complaints and suggesting that that's the entirety of the complaints.

Now I'll straight up admit, I suspect the difference of opinions regarding the film as being thanks to critics and general audiences wanting different things. Critics saw that it took risks, tried to shake up the status quo, and so on and so forth. Other people just wanted to see Star Wars. However a lot of articles I've seen have essentially told me I'm wrong for going to see a Star Wars film wanting to see Star Wars.

If I wanted a different kind of story, I wouldn't have bought a ticket to Star Wars. I'd have stayed home and read Red Mars or Fine Structure, watched Bablyon 5 or Star Trek, or maybe I'd have moved out of speculative fiction and watched a gangster film. Star Wars has a very specific style that I've come to associate with it, and I just didn't feel like TLJ fit that. But I'm apparently wrong because 'Star Wars has to grow up'.

Now I'm not going to claim these films have ruined my childhood or anything. I was born at exactly the right point for the Prequels to be coming out as I grew up, so I can't exactly claim to have the most objective view of the Star Wars franchise. But I think the Sequel Trilogy has lost it's place in my personal headcannon, and won't be inviting it to my Star Wars marathons.

Sure, Star Wars isn't dead yet. I maintain that it'll die at some point, maybe not within my lifetime, but eventually.

I'm just annoyed that the prevalence of Star Wars means my attempts to introduce people to the science fiction books I adore is difficult. Either I get 'so it's like Star Wars' and have to explain how very much that isn't true (or even how they came first), or people hear that they're not like Star Wars in every way and lose hope. To me it seems like that the amazing science fiction that has been written and is still being written cannot break out because Star Wars is too popular.

Oh, sure. But I can still hate them for exactly that kind of manipulative tactics.

This one is more interesting. I'll cop to the fact that I think TLJ at least gives JJ Abrams a good jumping off point to tell a story from. The Resistance is reduced to a single ship with their only force sensitive trying to become a self-trained Jedi. In that I think he's right in not letting fan backlash change how he's going to be making E9, because he's been left in a very good position with a bunch of characters audiences are invested in (even if some of us want to kill off Rose for getting in the way of our shipping).

I'd much rather fix Episode VIII by removing the plot problems I see and changing Luke's character somewhat (including having him give Rey some more actual training to justify her being skilled). My problem with the film isn't the destination, and I think Episode IX has a lot of potential due to where it has to start from, my problems are all with the journey. And the space bombers, don't forget the space bombers.
    Except that that's not what he's doing.

This is a man who openly complained that there are too many white people at The Academy Awards and The Emmy Awards.

As far as he's concerned, all complains against the movie are racism and sexism and mysoginy and homophobia and transphobia and any other such label he can slap on it to say "If you complain, dissent, disagree, dislike, criticize or have any problems with it your just a horrible, evil human being. Now shut up." Because now he can brush aside anyone pointing out that his movie and the politics he's openly admitting to using the movies to push are horrible and we don't want it.

So, yeah, were getting a doubling down for Episode 9. Were getting more of that for 3 movies after that thanks to putting the jerk in charge of episode 8 in charge of those. Were getting that for the TV series as well.

It was nice that we got three amazing movies and a few genuinely good games and 2 genuinely good TV shows, but the franchise is officially dead, cold and in the ground. It could recover, but the people running the show are now zealots whom will never allow that, because that would run counter to there own world views.

Oh, and, as for caring about the characters,

I dislike Finn, I hate Rose, I am hurt and betrayed by Rey, and I couldn't care less about Poe.

That leaves 3 droids and the Wookie, whom, let's face it, are not going to be the one's doing things of consequence because we need to shove badly though out girl power down the audience's throat violently.

So, all they've done is make sure I don't care anymore.
    "I Burn!"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

That leaves 3 droids and the Wookie
    Wookiee. 2 E's.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

It could recover, but the people running the show are now zealots whom will never allow that, because that would run counter to there own world views.
    Thats only 40-60% of it.

Again, Disney is riding this franchise for the shareholders and admitting to a mistake is DEATH to stock prices. I BET that the people in charge are LIVID against Brian Jonson but they gotta double down or else the entire empire crumbles. They will just break his hands over a metal drum in a back alley as punishment and he will be director in name only for the future movies.
    Disney needs to look impervious even if it kills it ya dig?

All this gaslighting isn't for us, its for the shareholders. And if you think shareholders are too smart for this let me remind you during the Pokemon Go Boom, they invested in ****ing Nintendo instead of Gamefreak.
    A little condescending

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Except that Bob Iger is making noise about running against the sitting President Of The United States for the country's traditionally left wing party in the election for that office that will be happening in 2020, and all of a sudden this franchise is throwing copious amounts of left wing propaganda out there.

So, no, the people in charge are NOT livid at Brian Johnson, and he's not going to be Director in name only. There going to keep supporting him whole heartedly because they genuinely want this and think if they just push it hard enough and spend enough money on it and promoting it and propping it up and if they just scream loudly enough at any detractors about what evil and vial people they are for daring to be detractors, they can make it work. And in so doing, make people buy into there world view.

People use to tell me Quesada had no power and was promoted in name only, and that turned out to be false. Same thing. This trio of people are not going to be held to task, ever, but not because righting the ship would be shareholder suicide, but because Ideologically the people at the top fundamentally agree with and support this.

If they were livid, they could just do what Marvel Studio's have done, and gotten rid of people. Marvel parted ways with Joss Wheadon after Avengers 2, with another well known director whom was originally going to direct Ant Man but left the project because he didn't have the amount of creative control to do what he wanted that he wanted (Sound familiar?). And they did that before the movie came out but after they had announced him doing the movie, so they had to announce him leaving and being replaced. They could have, indeed, still could, just say "So, upon reflection and movie goer feed back, we understand this was not what you want to continue seeing, so were going to be making some tweaks. We've transferred Ms. (Miss? I dunno in her case.) Kennedy and Mr. Abrams and Mr. Johnson to creative consultant teams and were bringing in some fresh blood, with all kinds of exciting new ideas! Keeping the franchise fresh but honoring it's storied past! A New Era is here!" They could spin doctor that a trillion ways to Sunday and fans wouldn't be even slightly angry at them by the time it came time to do advanced ticket ordering if they did it now! And if they tighten up and manage to wright the ship going forward, and we can just look back on an era of 1-4 lack luster movies depending on how you count them as a fluke after that, will be fine.

And the shareholders will be ok cause they'll just tell the Shareholders "It's like when Wheadon or *Insert name of other director whom was on Ant Man who's name escapes me at the present.* stepped away form Marvel Projects. The movies kept making money and being major global successes, didn't they? We've done this before, we know how to do it again, there is nothing to worry about. Nothing like being able to point to a known successful quantity and telling shareholders it's a repeat performance after all.

Peelee: Typo. Anyway.
    "I Burn!"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Except that Bob Iger is making noise about running against the sitting President Of The United States for the country's traditionally left wing party in the election for that office that will be happening in 2020, and all of a sudden this franchise is throwing copious amounts of left wing propaganda out there.
    I said 40-60%. Its not all of it sure, its just also very convenient.

The Black Panther movie for instance. 190% unremarkable. But now that its drummed up as a racial thing, the racists will decry it so now you get to promote it harder as somekind of cultural achievement to give the Disney Megacorporation money.

If they were livid, they could just do what Marvel Studio's have done, and gotten rid of people.
    They have, both for ROne and Han Solo. And both did knock on them cash wise. And those are spinoffs. Disney hasn't fully reached "Make our property into a continous stream of mush" phase yet so its critical for them to make their initial films look as stable as possible.

Im not saying political bais isn't driving the bus, Im just saying there are differen buses in this race as well.
    A little condescending

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

I was under the impression that Solo wasn't out yet and that R-One had done decently well, and short comings come form the fact that projections just failed to take into account that it was a spinoff not a main episode movie. That telling people who weren't doing there job (Kennedy.) or whom were actively making a mess for political reasons (All three of them.), wouldn't be bad and in fact might well make them MORE money because no one liked there product after the dust settled, which means fewer people are not going to go see there spin offs and the next few main episode movies, or are going to watch there TV show, particularly if these names are allowed to still be attached to the project. Even if there involvement was being on set. Gagged. In chains. With dozens of men the height of professional NBA players and the build of Arnold during his hey day in the 80's armed with machine guns with laser sights and orders to shoot to kill the instant any of the three of them so much as twitch a muscle or make even the smallest sound under any circumstances the entire time, and when there not filling that time on set, there being kept under similar guard and in a medically induced coma in a privet compound in Switzerland to make sure they can't do any further damage.

Cause I know a whole lot of people that will not touch the next 5+ movies or the upcoming TV show now because these names are attached too it, specifically. I know people who aren't buying any of the merch either because of what's been done to the franchise by these people.

In short, they've damaged the brand, badly, and the only way your ever going to fix that is to get rid of them, and make it known that you've gotten rid of them, and THEN crap on there product in the subsequent installments the way they crapped on what came before them, while simultaneously doing whatever you have to to apologize for that happening and fix it.
    "I Burn!"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Let's be honest, most of us are nerds who socialise with nerds. Lots of non nerds will give the TV show a shot and see any film with 'Episode' in the title. I suspect we'll see episodes ten through twelve in a decade or so.

However, I fully expect Star Wars to fall. I just expect it'll only fall from 'massive' to 'big' in the immediate future, and that a clever person could spin a new space opera franchise into popularity from the fall. I don't expect it to dissolve into nothing, of only because people still like the original trilogy.

So yeah, I don't think SW will make Disney all the money in the future, but I don't expect it to be canned die to not being successful enough unless the next episode film makes squat.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2018-02-19 at 07:56 AM.

Show

19. - Top - End - #49

I'd like to see more Wookieees.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

What if we learn the First Order was the Imperial's version of Leia's Resistance?

Snoke didn't just kidnap entire families under the Republic's nose he also kidnapped and brainwashed kids of the Imperial Remaints leadership thus with his death those Imperials see a chance to free themselves and rescue their kids?

So what if Episode IX starts with a brief flashback revealing we're seeing recorded footage from the First Order's side and this leads to a flotilla sent to answer Leia's call for aid?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly? I could absolutely see the FO being revealed a 'the Empire's SS, took over the Imperial Remnant and became even more brutal than Palpatine's Empire'. I'm not sure if it will be, because don't the Aftermath books reveal how the Empire became the First Order? I've not read them, but I expect that's not the story they went with.

I actually wouldn't mind if Episode IX introduced a second Imperial Successor Faction. The First Order seems to extreme to have brought all of the old Imperial loyalists under it's banner, and seeing the 'main' films finally address that no, the Empire wasn't even primarily made up of bad guys, just people trying to keep the galaxy's primary civilisation together, would be amazing.

So what if the film begins with the Falcon flying through space, the crew mourning Leia (who died in the brief time skip'), and suddenly they receive a transmission from a Captain/Admiral Palleon (to pick a random name I remember being around in this rough SW time period) offering aid and shelter. As the main characters wonder what to do and whether they can trust him the camera switches to a shot of the Falcon, and then pans to show a classic Star Destroyer.

At this point I don't think they should bring Thrawn into the trilogy, but I see no reason why the Empire cannot return. Outnumbered and hounded by the First Order, but very much alive and very much ready to go down fighting. For even more fun make it so they reinstated the Imperial Senate, if you want to portray them as 'good guys' (if not as good as our heroic 'Resistance').
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2018-02-19 at 08:09 AM.

Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Colossus in the Playground

Honestly? I could absolutely see the FO being revealed a 'the Empire's SS, took over the Imperial Remnant and became even more brutal than Palpatine's Empire'. I'm not sure if it will be, because don't the Aftermath books reveal how the Empire became the First Order? I've not read them, but I expect that's not the story they went with.
    The Empire's "SS" was the Imperial Security Bureau. As far as we can tell, there weren't that many, with the fleets that fled into the Unknown Regions. In the Aftermath books, at least one ISB agent defects to the New Republic and becomes a protagonist. For that matter, Rebels TV series, before ANH, has a defecting ISB agent.

The First Order created its own version of the ISB though - the guy in the white uniform in TLJ, on Snoke's ship, is one.

The FO being "more brutal than Palpatine's Empire" is fairly plausible conjecture though - most ST-era tie-ins paint them as very villainous.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2018-02-19 at 08:16 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    I'd like to see more Wookieees.
    Wwwookieees. 3 W's.And maybe a .org
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm gonna channel Inner Red Letter Media and say -

GIANT SPHERICAL DEATH LASERS

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Wwwookieees. 3 W's.And maybe a .org
    That is terrible, and terribly amusing. I approve
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I have but one prediction for Episode IX, and it's one I guarantee will come true: I won't watch it.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oddly, I'm all for MORE diversity in the next movie.

-We need a blue faced alien to do something important. I don't care if the First Order persecuted them into rebellion or what. In fact that would be pretty fitting.

-Can we get a hot alien woman with something shaped like but not hair on top of her head?

-How about a Wookieeee moment. Wasn't Kashyyke (spelled wrong because I'm too lazy to look it up), Wasn't Kashyke essentially stomped on especially brutally by the Empire? Let them be the driving force of the new Alliance

-Can we get a few brown skinned humans doing pretty normal things? No gamblers or funny cowards needed.

-I like someone's idea above of Kylo not being that great a military mind. Oops. It happens. Let him have held purges of the First Order's officer corps which allowed the rebels to rebuild. That boy acted in the last movie, he was not the problem.

-Now I'm not against the casting crew's love of hot short brown haired gals, Padme, Leia, Jyn Erso, and Rey are all easier to look at and acted better than Anakin or Luke ever were. Keep Rey around.

Honestly I loved Rogue One. Put whoever made that in charge.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MarkVIIIMarc View Post
    Oddly, I'm all for MORE diversity in the next movie.

-We need a blue faced alien to do something important. I don't care if the First Order persecuted them into rebellion or what. In fact that would be pretty fitting.

-Can we get a hot alien woman with something shaped like but not hair on top of her head?

-How about a Wookieeee moment. Wasn't Kashyyke (spelled wrong because I'm too lazy to look it up), Wasn't Kashyke essentially stomped on especially brutally by the Empire? Let them be the driving force of the new Alliance

-Can we get a few brown skinned humans doing pretty normal things? No gamblers or funny cowards needed.

-I like someone's idea above of Kylo not being that great a military mind. Oops. It happens. Let him have held purges of the First Order's officer corps which allowed the rebels to rebuild. That boy acted in the last movie, he was not the problem.

-Now I'm not against the casting crew's love of hot short brown haired gals, Padme, Leia, Jyn Erso, and Rey are all easier to look at and acted better than Anakin or Luke ever were. Keep Rey around.

Honestly I loved Rogue One. Put whoever made that in charge.
    1: Probably not gonna happen.

2: That would be cool. Double down and have it be the Mandalorian's whom are teaming up with them for it.

It also won't happen though, that would require giving the least bit of a crap about previous canon for a reason OTHER than to run it through the meat grinder while pouring salt and vinegar and sulfer and piss on it and laughing manically. The people running the show won't have that.

3: I wouldn't bet on this. It would be a good thing to do, but I wouldn't bet on it.

4: You might get this.

5: You will get this. In fact I'll be amazed if she's not at least IN the TV show AND the next 3 movies.
    "I Burn!"

29. - Top - End - #59

I've heard of him thinking about governorship, but not presidency. But even that's just vague rumblings. I doubt he'd actually run at this stage.

Either way, you're overthinking it on a fundamental level. Bob Iger is a hands off individual, he doesn't micromanage because he runs the megacorp that owns other megacorps and he has about thirty more movies to worry about. He doesn't care who directs the film or what's in it so long as it ticks off a few boxes. He instead pays people to pay people to care.

At this point Iger probably just wants to cross the finish line. This is his last year in the big chair. By the time 2020 rolls around he'll be pushing 70 years old and was already involved with the federal government at the same time. So long as there's no massive catastrophe he can't blame on a studio head or other executive it's all the same to him.
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

I've heard of him thinking about governorship, but not presidency. But even that's just vague rumblings. I doubt he'd actually run at this stage.

Either way, you're overthinking it on a fundamental level. Bob Iger is a hands off individual, he doesn't micromanage because he runs the megacorp that owns other megacorps and he has about thirty more movies to worry about. He doesn't care who directs the film or what's in it so long as it ticks off a few boxes. He instead pays people to pay people to care.

At this point Iger probably just wants to cross the finish line. This is his last year in the big chair. By the time 2020 rolls around he'll be pushing 70 years old and was already involved with the federal government at the same time. So long as there's no massive catastrophe he can't blame on a studio head or other executive it's all the same to him.
    It would be nice if your right. I really hope your right, and that someone else will come in who will have made a note that these yahoo's are blowing it on a massive, massive financial investment that was meant to be a hugh money maker for decades and is shaping up to not be that.

I guess in a year or two we will know for certain.
    "I Burn!"